**********The MIAA "A" Conference 2022**************

HS Boys Lacrosse
kramerica.inc

Re: **********The MIAA "A" Conference 2022**************

Post by kramerica.inc »

At this point in the year, still a few months out, Spalding is the most well-put together and has the LEAST questions (in my mind) heading into the season. It was a close call and you could probably make a good case for any of the top 5-6 teams to win the end of season tourney. It's that deep of a league. Even the others at the bottom will likely be among the best in the metro. I think, like always, there will be some interesting upsets and close calls.
Re: Gilman, I am a fan of their new coach. Really in the mold of what a lot of conference teams are hiring. I don't know what the short and long term goals of the program are. But I am a proponent of the teacher-coach model Gilman and St Pauls' have used for years. I think this is in that mold.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:18 am At this point in the year, still a few months out, Spalding is the most well-put together and has the LEAST questions (in my mind) heading into the season. It was a close call and you could probably make a good case for any of the top 5-6 teams to win the end of season tourney. It's that deep of a league. Even the others at the bottom will likely be among the best in the metro. I think, like always, there will be some interesting upsets and close calls.
Re: Gilman, I am a fan of their new coach. Really in the mold of what a lot of conference teams are hiring. I don't know what the short and long term goals of the program are. But I am a proponent of the teacher-coach model Gilman and St Pauls' have used for years. I think this is in that mold.
Agreed re all. Including re Spalding being well positioned again.

And, indeed, what makes the league so much fun is there's always the chance of the unpredictable, the upset, the late run...because most of these teams have a plethora of talent and strong coaching....and they're high school kids with all the vagaries of such.

Spalding may well have a psychological edge, but who knows...

My sense is there's a commitment at Gilman for regaining prominence. That said, the lengths to which some schools are going to gain an edge will be difficult to match, indeed I doubt Gilman will play on some of those paths. That said, my sense is the new coach will be much more active in the youth development process and be able to attract a number more families to the fold, (families I think they were losing recently), augmenting the typical pattern of multigenerational families, as was the case in each era of championships. Only takes a handful of those choices per class year. But that's a multi-year project, not a quick recruiting 'fix', say from Florida or Colorado... I also think the shift in the football program will ultimately benefit lacrosse with more crossover athletes participating in lacrosse, as both head coaches appear to favor such crossover. I think they'll lean into the scholar-athlete pitch.

At least that's my hope.
SkipPass

Post by SkipPass »

Spalding? Not deep enough. They can’t even beat St. Mary’s in box.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

So, with the schedules now out, I think it time to ask:

Which team wins it all in 2022?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

SkipPass wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:50 pm Spalding? Not deep enough. They can’t even beat St. Mary’s in box.
It didnt hurt them last year. Much of that team returns. Who's your pick?

Hearing the championship is back in Annapolis again this year also.
SkipPass

Post by SkipPass »

CH, McD, BL, STM - take your pick. ‘21 was a fluke. You can’t win this league with one kid.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

SkipPass wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:58 am CH, McD, BL, STM - take your pick. ‘21 was a fluke. You can’t win this league with one kid.
Possible, but of those, I think StM has a couple large hurdles.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Nice to hear, according to sources, the championships will be back in Annapolis.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

SkipPass wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:58 am CH, McD, BL, STM - take your pick. ‘21 was a fluke. You can’t win this league with one kid.
I dont think '21 was a fluke. If you think Spalding only has one guy, you haven't seen them play. They have the best player in the state and are a nice, well-rounded team. You don't go 8-2 in this league, winning the way they did, and go to the championship game with just "one kid." They are losing some good kids after this year. But they have seniors, which is what you need to win in this league.
Slim

Post by Slim »

Agree with you, Kramerica! AS was legit last season and will be again in 2022. They have arguably the league's best player (although I think the kid from BL is the best personally), but that is not all. They have talent up and down the field, maybe not a ton of depth, but the top 12 kids are legit. They also have a terrific coaching staff and a school that is committed to athletic excellence.

All this being said, I still predict BL is the team to beat again, with McD and CHC closing in. Really looking forward to the games matching these four schools up this spring.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Alright, folks! I will mention this later. But, by winning it all in 2022, McDonogh would be the fourth-consecutive team, at least in the past thirty-five years, to win a title after the team from that program one year earlier went into the postseason undefeated, but didn't hoist the trophy:

1989 Loyola(1988 Loyola lost in the title game to BL)
2009 Gilman(2008 Gilman lost in the title game to Loyola)
2014 BL(2013 BL lost to in the title game to Loyola)

2021 McDonogh lost to BL in the semis. HOWEVER, ready for this!? Just like the three title games mentioned above, it was a one-goal game!!
Slim

Post by Slim »

:lol: :roll:
LaxDog

Post by LaxDog »

gymman1031 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:01 pm Alright, folks! I will mention this later. But, by winning it all in 2022, McDonogh would be the fourth-consecutive team, at least in the past thirty-five years, to win a title after the team from that program one year earlier went into the postseason undefeated, but didn't hoist the trophy:

2021 McDonogh lost to BL in the semis. HOWEVER, ready for this!? Just like the three title games mentioned above, it was a one-goal game!!
I love it. But...

:lol:
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

LaxDog wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:19 am
gymman1031 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:01 pm Alright, folks! I will mention this later. But, by winning it all in 2022, McDonogh would be the fourth-consecutive team, at least in the past thirty-five years, to win a title after the team from that program one year earlier went into the postseason undefeated, but didn't hoist the trophy:

I love it. But...

:lol:
But what?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

McCabe Millon
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

And his pop...
Caddy Day
KI Dock Bar

Post by KI Dock Bar »

gymman - I love your posts about the history of the A conference. Calvert Hall is the only school to win 3 championships in a row, since when? Before the evolution of the crosse in the early 1970's? Last time was in the 1960's? I do know that Loyola won 7 championships in 11 years, from 1980-1990. Has to be the greatest run in the last 50 years or more? My ranking for this season:

1. McDonogh
2. Spalding
3. St. Mary's
4. Loyola
5. Calvert Hall
6. Boys' Latin
7. St. Paul's
8. Severn
9. Gilman
10. John Carroll
11. Mt. St. Joe
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Gotta have seniors to win in this conference. Who has the best, senior leaders?
Those teams will surprise this year.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”