New Jersey Lacrosse 2021

HS Boys Lacrosse
Matnum PI

Re: New Jersey Lacrosse 2021

Post by Matnum PI »

All-State, All-Everythings announced but have not seen them on websites yet.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

https://www.nj.com/highschoolsports/202 ... g-one.html

Chatham (NJ) coach leaves for private St. Joes (metuchen)
WildPride

Post by WildPride »

Maryland will scrimmage Cornell at 3 PM on 10/10 at Delbarton. Game will be on the soccer/lacrosse field (next to baseball field) by the back gate. I haven't heard if the scrimmage is open to the public
NJLax80

SAVE THE TOC!

Post by NJLax80 »

The NJSIAA is poised to kill the legendary Tournament of Champions. Please sign and support the movement to save this annual NJ celebration of the state’s best!

https://chng.it/cX7zxqnqJw
CHRLAX

Post by CHRLAX »

What is the rationale behind getting rid of the TOC?
Is the reclassing at private schools getting so out of hand that public schools don't even want to play private schools anymore?
NJSIAA is dominated by Public School interests I would imagine.

I am not sure what I think of this to be honest.

Private schools have so many re-classes that they should just play the Prep schools with PG's.
That is probably the appropriate competition.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

there's a few things here. first, i like the idea of a single state champion. but say you make the top 6 that goto the TOC and then lose - it kinda takes away from winning your group championship. you're a state champ but your final game of the season is a loss?

i think reclassifying is really hurting lacrosse. i've heard some rumors that kids are almost 20 and still playing at schools like SHP, Bosco, etc. don't know whats true or whats not true though. the private vs public debate is always tough.
CHRLAX

Post by CHRLAX »

I agree having 6 State Champions is a little confusing and dilutes the title a bit.
On the other hand, the private schools have taken things so far out of hand that it really isn't a level playing field.
It does show how much of an accomplishment it is when a Mountain Lakes, Ridgewood, or Summit or a public school wins the TOC.
Even more so Mountain lakes being a Group 1 Public school.

Pros/and cons I guess.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

CHRLAX wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:51 pm I agree having 6 State Champions is a little confusing and dilutes the title a bit.
On the other hand, the private schools have taken things so far out of hand that it really isn't a level playing field.
It does show how much of an accomplishment it is when a Mountain Lakes, Ridgewood, or Summit or a public school wins the TOC.
Even more so Mountain lakes being a Group 1 Public school.

Pros/and cons I guess.
i agree that privates tend to have more reclassed kids. i don't see a difference between a group 1,2,3 or 4 school playing each other. yes there are more kids in the bigger schools obviously but it's lacrosse. lakes has always been good, summit always good, chatham always good, etc. i don't think where they are group wise really makes a difference. summit, chatham, lakes always play delbarton tough like westfield does.
WildPride

Post by WildPride »

It would be a shame to do away with the TOC. The public schools have won more TOCs than the privates and there is every reason to believe that will continue in the future. Only two of the six groups that advance to the TOC are private. Non Public A covers the bigger schools such as Bergen Catholic, Delbarton, Don Bosco Prep, Saint Augustine and Seton Hall Prep. Those schools knock each other out with only one advancing to the TOC. Non Public B includes smaller private schools such as Pingry and has historically been a weaker division.

Looking at the TOC history, public schools have won 9 of the 17 TOCs. Prior to last year, Delbarton was the only private school to ever have won. 2016 was the only year when two privates squared off in the final (Delbarton and Pingry).
https://www.njsiaa.org/sites/default/fi ... istory.pdf

It would be interesting to hear what the HS lacrosse coaches think about the TOC.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Twitter:
QuickStick @quickstickblog
For those who dont know what the T of C is, in NJ they take the winners of each public school state tournament division, as well as the winners of the private school divisions and those teams compete in a tournament to determine one outright champion. It’s truly a fantastic event.

QuickStick @quickstickblog · 2h
The NJSIAA is an utter joke. The Tournament of Champions is one of the greatest traditions in high school lacrosse and the only way to crown a true state champion.
Caddy Day
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

I see both sides. As a coach of a team that has lost in the TOC, it’s a shame my kids have to end their season with a loss. On the other hand, the joy of being the TOC champ is something incredible.
Rolldins

Post by Rolldins »

Only a month or two out, who are your top 5 teams in NJ for this year? Will Bosco repeat?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Paying attention to three schools w kids committed to Hobart-Bosco, Gill St. Bernard and Holy Cross Academy. Bosco well known but will the other two be competitive in the upper tier of the state? Know absolutely nothing about the St Bernard or HC in fact.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
AOD

Post by AOD »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:30 pm Paying attention to three schools w kids committed to Hobart-Bosco, Gill St. Bernard and Holy Cross Academy. Bosco well known but will the other two be competitive in the upper tier of the state? Know absolutely nothing about the St Bernard or HC in fact.
Holy Cross Academy is the only catholic high school in Burlington County. Burlington County is the largest county in the State bordering on both the Delaware River and the inland bays of the Atlantic Ocean. Burlington County is located in Southern NJ, which is not typically considered a lacrosse hotbed. In fact, to my knowledge only 1 boys' team from South Jersey has played in the NJ ToC (Moorestown). South Jersey has a handful of teams that can compete in North Jersey, but Holy Cross doesn't play any of them. Perhaps the best team Holy Cross plays is New Egypt - a school that recently produced a Hopkins FOGO (Kyle Prouty). Holy Cross will not be competitive in the upper tier of the state.

The best indicator of your recruit's potential is likely his production on his club team. Do you know who he played with last summer?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

AOD wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:10 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:30 pm Paying attention to three schools w kids committed to Hobart-Bosco, Gill St. Bernard and Holy Cross Academy. Bosco well known but will the other two be competitive in the upper tier of the state? Know absolutely nothing about the St Bernard or HC in fact.
Holy Cross Academy is the only catholic high school in Burlington County. Burlington County is the largest county in the State bordering on both the Delaware River and the inland bays of the Atlantic Ocean. Burlington County is located in Southern NJ, which is not typically considered a lacrosse hotbed. In fact, to my knowledge only 1 boys' team from South Jersey has played in the NJ ToC (Moorestown). South Jersey has a handful of teams that can compete in North Jersey, but Holy Cross doesn't play any of them. Perhaps the best team Holy Cross plays is New Egypt - a school that recently produced a Hopkins FOGO (Kyle Prouty). Holy Cross will not be competitive in the upper tier of the state.

The best indicator of your recruit's potential is likely his production on his club team. Do you know who he played with last summer?
Appreciate it figured they’d struggle but maybe a talented FOGO can make a difference. Seamus Schoefield played on Bluestar where we’ve had some success of late including a very solid d man named Michael Christiansen (https://hwsathletics.com/sports/mens-la ... nsen/16499) and Chris Aslanian who’s in the PLL now. I know S. Jersey isn’t usually great, we had a excellent FOGO from down that way who graduated a couple of years ago named Matt Pedicine ( https://hwsathletics.com/sports/mens-la ... cine/13914) -his school may not have even had a team only club. I’m hopeful Schoefield is another hidden gem like Pedicine was for us.

The Bosco LSM plays for O2 and the Gill St Bernard Goalie for BBL. we had a midfielder who committed but then more recently switched to High Point (Colin Rovere) as I understand it having more to do with us not offering his desired major.

Recall one solid LSM from Moorestown like a decade ago but he only was at the school two years named Del Preore.
See Martin, Malcolm
AOD

Post by AOD »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:25 pm

Appreciate it figured they’d struggle but maybe a talented FOGO can make a difference. Seamus Schoefield played on Bluestar where we’ve had some success of late including a very solid d man named Michael Christiansen (https://hwsathletics.com/sports/mens-la ... nsen/16499) and Chris Aslanian who’s in the PLL now. I know S. Jersey isn’t usually great, we had a excellent FOGO from down that way who graduated a couple of years ago named Matt Pedicine ( https://hwsathletics.com/sports/mens-la ... cine/13914) -his school may not have even had a team only club. I’m hopeful Schoefield is another hidden gem like Pedicine was for us.

The Bosco LSM plays for O2 and the Gill St Bernard Goalie for BBL. we had a midfielder who committed but then more recently switched to High Point (Colin Rovere) as I understand it having more to do with us not offering his desired major.

Recall one solid LSM from Moorestown like a decade ago but he only was at the school two years named Del Preore.
Well, Bluestar is certainly the right club. Much of the best talent in South Jersey plays club lacrosse there. I see Connor Gaffney and Zach Cole are on staff at Bluestar. Those two young men have been in the top 5 FOGOs in the nation in the last few years. He's learned from some of the best.

Pedicine is from Clark. In the division between North and South Jersey, Clark clearly sits in the North. Pedicine's high school competition would have been far more stout than what Schoefield sees. Wishing your young man and Hobart much luck.
Last edited by AOD on Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

AOD wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:39 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:25 pm

Well, Bluestar is certainly the right club. Much of the best talent in South Jersey plays club lacrosse there. I see Connor Gaffney and Zach Cole are on staff at Bluestar. Those two young men have been in the top 5 in the nation in the last few years. He's learned from some of the best.

Pedicine is from Clark. In the division between North and South Jersey, Clark clearly sits in the North. Pedicine's high school competition would have been far more stout that what Schoefield sees. Wishing your young man and Hobart much luck.
Good stuff. I hear good things about this goalie too. We are thin there, lost one from Va/Canadian who went straight to the pro box leagues and another transferred out so he will get a shot in two years (Starter is a junior-also from jersey, Immaculata)
See Martin, Malcolm
Rolldins

Post by Rolldins »

FWIW: I haven't heard too much about Bluestar, but BBL is an extremely solid club, usually its in the top 3 in the state every year, usually pulls from some of the north jersey powers like Mountain Lakes, Seton Hall Prep and Pingry.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”