Connecticut 2021

HS Boys Lacrosse
Matnum PI

Re: Connecticut 2021

Post by Matnum PI »

pcowlax wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:33 amIf any year was a year to say it, this one is. Man, if Fairfield was unified, that would be bad ass team. Ludlowe and Warde both good, that would be an animal if combined.
:) I like it...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:04 am HS Boys CT: State Championships

The Connecticut HS Boys State Championships resume today: Wednesday, June 2nd. These are, in order, the Best Upcoming Games:

1 Staples (CT) #4 vs #5 Ridgefield (CT) 06/02/2021
2 Fairfield Prep (CT) #7...

https://fanlax.com/2021/06/02/hs-boys-c ... pionships/

I thought Darien was ranked #1? Not sure how how CT runs it's tournaments.....
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

oldbartman wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:52 pmI thought Darien was ranked #1? Not sure how how CT runs it's tournaments.....
They are. According to CT. these rankings are based on the FanLax Computer. For the FanLax Computer, because Brunswick played 4 games vs. CT teams, including Darien, Brunswick is #1.
Caddy Day
fritz44

Post by fritz44 »

From Dave Rudens Twitter: "Staples-Ridgefield 15 away. Big news is the Tigers’ Kai Prohaszka has been cleared to play"

https://twitter.com/DaveRuden/status/14 ... 0417056769

Definitely changes the outlook and gives Ridgefield a much better chance
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

HS Boys CT: State Championships

Below are the results of yesterday’s Best Games (with the 2 upsets marked with an asterisks) as well as, in order, this coming Saturday’s Best Games.

https://fanlax.com/2021/06/03/hs-boys-c ... -06-03-21/
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

fritz44 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:42 pm Definitely changes the outlook and gives Ridgefield a much better chance
Caddy Day
fritz44

Post by fritz44 »

I had to rub my eyes a couple times while reading twitter to make sure I was not mistaken when seeing the Prep and Darien Score.

14-10 victory for Prep, definitely didn't expect that.

This blows things up for the whole tournament. Its tempting to just bet on Prep now but if the past is any indication the team that has upset Darien in the state/FCIAC tournament is far from guaranteed to win out. My bet would be on a Wilton v. Ridgefield final but who knows. Things definitely get more interesting from here.

I'm especially surprised by the margin of victory, I wonder if there were any injuries/anomalies or Prep just played their best when they needed to and vice versa for Darien.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Darien has been down several guys recently on attack, not sure if they played today but stunning regardless, especially giving up 14.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

fritz44 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:35 pm I had to rub my eyes a couple times while reading twitter to make sure I was not mistaken when seeing the Prep and Darien Score.

This blows things up for the whole tournament. Its tempting to just bet on Prep now but if the past is any indication the team that has upset Darien in the state/FCIAC tournament is far from guaranteed to win out. My bet would be on a Wilton v. Ridgefield final but who knows. Things definitely get more interesting from here.

I'm especially surprised by the margin of victory, I wonder if there were any injuries/anomalies or Prep just played their best when they needed to and vice versa for Darien.
I heard it was 14-8 at one point. Really a surprise.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Best Games. Upsets marked with an asterisks.

1* Fairfield Prep (CT) #4 14 - 10 #2 Darien (CT) 06/05/2021
2 Wilton (CT) #3 12 - 8 #9 Cheshire HS (CT) 06/05/2021
3 Ridgefield (CT) #5 18 - 3 #14 Simsbury (CT) 06/05/2021
4 Daniel Hand-Madison (CT) #10 7 - 6 #17 Joel Barlow (CT) 06/05/2021
5* Hall-West Hartford (CT) #23 15 - 6 #16 Amity Regional (CT) 06/05/2021
6 East Lyme (CT) #19 13 - 12 #31 Avon (CT) 06/05/2021
7 St Joseph Trumbull (CT) #13 17 - 8 #54 Haddam-Killingworth (CT) 06/05/2021
8 East Catholic (CT) #26 21 - 11 #43 Bacon Academy (CT) 06/05/2021
9 Masuk (CT) #30 6 - 5 #42 Brookfield (CT) 06/05/2021
10 Weston (CT) #21 6 - 5 #51 Watertown (CT) 06/05/2021
11 St Paul Catholic (CT) #34 13 - 11 #40 Somers (CT) 06/05/2021
12 Granby Memorial (CT) #46 11 - 9 #53 Sheehan (CT) 06/05/2021
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Best Upcoming Games. All on June 8th. Rankings are FanLax Computer Rankings, not CT.

1 Fairfield Prep (CT) #4 vs #3 Wilton (CT)
2 Ridgefield (CT) #5 vs #23 Hall-West Hartford (CT)
3 Weston (CT) #21 vs #19 East Lyme (CT)
4 Masuk (CT) #30 vs #10 Daniel Hand-Madison (CT)
5 St Joseph Trumbull (CT) #13 vs #34 St Paul Catholic (CT)
6 Granby Memorial (CT) #46 vs #26 East Catholic (CT)
Caddy Day
FC_YAK

Post by FC_YAK »

Is the seeding for the state tournament purely done by record? I don't understand the bottom half of the bracket?!?! The two FCIAC teams have to play each other in the first round and then the rest of the FCIAC is in the bracket with the #1 overall seed???? Ridgefield has a cakewalk to the championship game to the point that they will be able to rest players and be fresh. WIth Darien going down, it's Wilton v Prep in what will most likely be a battle (their last game was 2 weeks ago). Just seems so odd that Amity is the #2 seed in the state...not knocking the kids or the program, they play who they play, but at what point does the CIAC or the coaches step in and figure out the seeding?

At the end of the day you are going to have to beat everyone in front of you but the seeding does matter. Just watch Ridgefield walk into the title game being able to rest starters - it's a huge advantage.
Typical Lax Dad

FC_YAK wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:58 am Is the seeding for the state tournament purely done by record? I don't understand the bottom half of the bracket?!?! The two FCIAC teams have to play each other in the first round and then the rest of the FCIAC is in the bracket with the #1 overall seed???? Ridgefield has a cakewalk to the championship game to the point that they will be able to rest players and be fresh. WIth Darien going down, it's Wilton v Prep in what will most likely be a battle (their last game was 2 weeks ago). Just seems so odd that Amity is the #2 seed in the state...not knocking the kids or the program, they play who they play, but at what point does the CIAC or the coaches step in and figure out the seeding?

At the end of the day you are going to have to beat everyone in front of you but the seeding does matter. Just watch Ridgefield walk into the title game being able to rest starters - it's a huge advantage.
Seeding is based on record.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

HS Boys CT: State Championships

The Connecticut HS Boys State Championships resumed Saturday, June 5th. Below are the results of yesterday’s Best Games (with the 2 upsets marked with an asterisks) as well as, in order, this coming Tuesday’s Best Games.

https://fanlax.com/2021/06/06/hs-boys-c ... onships-2/
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:15 am Seeding is based on record.
weak...
Caddy Day
Typical Lax Dad

Matnum PI wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:24 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:15 am Seeding is based on record.
weak...
I know. It’s always been like that.
random observer

Post by random observer »

fritz44 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:35 pm I had to rub my eyes a couple times while reading twitter to make sure I was not mistaken when seeing the Prep and Darien Score.

The younger Pokorny and Moore both were out for the Glastonbury game but were back for the Prep game (and Moore had one of his better games at that). Matheis still out of course. But honestly at the end of the day Prep just played much better than Darien in most facets of the game. They had far fewer turnovers. Whitney and the defense really frustrated the offense at times. They won most of the face-offs. Cargill completely outplayed Demopoulos, particularly in the second half when it seemed like every time Prep got a shot on goal it went in. They were patient on offense and worked to get the right shot instead of settling for half chances. A great performance whereas Darien just couldn't seem to find that extra gear they did in the FCIAC finals. And most impressive of all is that they're a young team who played with both passion and maturity. They are going to be a force the next few years.

That win over Staples was probably the best game Darien played all year (I think Staples' 16-2 win over Wilton probably put them on red alert) but it masked the fact that it was sandwiched by a lot of uneven wins where Darien got out to early leads and then kind of coasted through games (the first Prep game being a prime example, where after a dominant Darien first quarter, the final 3 were evenly played which wasn't reflected in the final score). I don't think they expected or were mentally prepared to play with intensity for all four quarters, and it finally caught up to them in a big way. Prep played that second half like their hair was on fire and at times nearly ran Darien off the field (another interesting nugget in this game/season; Darien usually thrives in transition but they were not very good at it in 2021 -- Prep was patient in the six-on-six, but they also attacked and punished the Wave in transition on Saturday) It's a bitter pill to go out like that after such a strong season, but maybe it will serve as in important and humbling lesson for next year's Darien team that they can't take winning for granted.

Edit: also want to give a huge shout out to the prep fans. They really showed up in a big way on the road to support their guys.
Typical Lax Dad

random observer wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:43 am

The younger Pokorny and Moore both were out for the Glastonbury game but were back for the Prep game (and Moore had one of his better games at that). Matheis still out of course. But honestly at the end of the day Prep just played much better than Darien in most facets of the game. They had far fewer turnovers. Whitney and the defense really frustrated the offense at times. They won most of the face-offs. Cargill completely outplayed Demopoulos, particularly in the second half when it seemed like every time Prep got a shot on goal it went in. They were patient on offense and worked to get the right shot instead of settling for half chances. A great performance whereas Darien just couldn't seem to find that extra gear they did in the FCIAC finals. And most impressive of all is that they're a young team who played with both passion and maturity. They are going to be a force the next few years.

That win over Staples was probably the best game Darien played all year (I think Staples' 16-2 win over Wilton probably put them on red alert) but it masked the fact that it was sandwiched by a lot of uneven wins where Darien got out to early leads and then kind of coasted through games (the first Prep game being a prime example, where after a dominant Darien first quarter, the final 3 were evenly played which wasn't reflected in the final score). I don't think they expected or were mentally prepared to play with intensity for all four quarters, and it finally caught up to them in a big way. Prep played that second half like their hair was on fire and at times nearly ran Darien off the field (another interesting nugget in this game/season; Darien usually thrives in transition but they were not very good at it in 2021 -- Prep was patient in the six-on-six, but they also attacked and punished the Wave in transition on Saturday) It's a bitter pill to go out like that after such a strong season, but maybe it will serve as in important and humbling lesson for next year's Darien team that they can't take winning for granted.

Edit: also want to give a huge shout out to the prep fans. They really showed up in a big way on the road to support their guys.
That’s a good post. Seems like it was a good high school lacrosse game. Seems like a lot of young talent in the area this year.
fritz44

Post by fritz44 »

random observer wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:43 am

Agreed, after looking over the game and the media around it the difference in goaltending is striking for Darien, only 7 saves with 14 goals allowed for a 33% save percentage. Probably the worst game of Demopoulos' whole career going by save percentage alone.Tough way to go out, gotta feel for him. You also mention Prep winning the majority of face-offs which was another element that really flipped from their first game. Credit to Preps FOGO for making adjustments after the first matchup. Wilton won the majority of faceoffs in their first matchup against Prep, I imagine how that battle turns out tonight will have a large impact on the outcome.

Ridgefield vs. Hall - Ridgefield should make easy work of a Hall team that benefited greatly from not having to play any FCIAC teams up until this point.
20-6 Ridgefield

Prep vs Wilton - This is a much more compelling matchup. I often favor teams that lost a competitive regular season matchup since they tend to come into the second game with more of a chip on their shoulder and the winners of the previous matchup have the bad habit of overlooking an opponent that they assume should be in the same form as when they played earlier. But with the upset over Darien I think this effect does not apply here since most are expecting Prep to be at their highest level of the season. Wiltons strength all season has been goaltending, defense, and to a lesser extent faceoffs. If Preps FOGO is able to replicate his performance against Darien then Prep should be able to win by a 2-3 goal margin with Wiltons offense likely not being able to reach double digit goals without a large possession advantage. Otherwise, it falls on Wilton to take care of possession and not have any unforced turnovers which has been a problem for them all season but was particularly bad in their FCIAC playoff games against NC and peaked in their drubbing against Staples. This looks like an exact mirror matchup of the 2019 state tournament game between Prep and Wilton. 2019 was played at Preps home field, this game will be played on Wiltons home field. Prep won the regular season matchup in 2019 but then lost to a surging team coming off a recent upset with a lot of momentum behind them. Wilton won the regular season matchup this year and is playing against a team coming off an upset win and playing their best ball at the right time. The atmosphere should be great, and weather permitting there should be big crowds for both teams. I think Prep will slip by in a very competitive game. Prep 9-8
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Best Games, in order:
1- Fairfield Prep (CT) #4 vs #3 Wilton (CT)
2- Ridgefield (CT) #5 vs #23 Hall-West Hartford (CT)
3- Weston (CT) #21 vs #19 East Lyme (CT)
4- Masuk (CT) #30 vs #10 Daniel Hand-Madison (CT)... As expected, Hand won, 14-3.
5- St Joseph Trumbull (CT) #13 vs #34 St Paul Catholic (CT)
6- Granby Memorial (CT) #46 vs #26 East Catholic (CT)
Caddy Day

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”