ISL 2021

HS Boys Lacrosse
Flag Down

Re: ISL 2021

Post by Flag Down »

Deerfield at Belmont Hill, Saturday 2 PM: https://bbiglive.com/events/54-boys-lac ... fN8qYMxH6C
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Final weekend of Friday/Saturday play. Crazy how fast it goes, especially when it never really felt like it going this year. A few games next week, I'll do a 2021 postmortem and 2022 look ahead, and then it's summertime.

Belmont Hill - Milton Academy/Deerfield: It'll be interesting to see how BH approaches the Milton game, as they'll want to be at full strength for Saturday's game against an undefeated Deerfield that is #1 in the country and will finish the season that way with a win. Travaglini got banged up in the first Govs game and didn't play in the second game. Hopefully it was just a one game thing as BH will need him; and even then it's an extremely tall order.

Milton - Pingree: Milton's Saturday game is against Pingree, which has been a de facto ISL program this year either playing or scrimmaging about half the league. Pingree is tough but I like a young Milton's chance's here.

St. Seb's - Tabor: Tabor has been close but no cigar against some stronger teams (Thayer, Nobles) after warming up with some lesser competition. Maguire for Seb's didn't look 100% last Friday against Thayer and didn't play Saturday. His status will factor in if Tabor can snag a win or two this weekend.

Nobles - Lawrence: LA played RL tough last weekend and overall has had a nice year but I think it will be tough to run with a team that scores the way Nobles can. Big advantage for the Spartans facing off, but I think that only holds off the onslaught for so long.

Govs - Rivers: This is the matchup of weekend. Two programs that aren't used to having losing records but have faced very strong competition in this Covid affected season. Could definitely see a split here.

Thayer - Roxbury Latin: Another two teams that look pretty even on paper. Thayer showed their strength when playing at their peak knocking off Seb's last Friday. RL has three wins in a row over St. Mark's and two over Lawrence Academy. Not sure I see a favorite.

BB&N - Brooks: BB&N has been knocking on the door of the first win of the season, playing Milton tough and losing in OT to St. Mark's. Brooks in the same boat as well. I lean a little towards BB&N here. 

Groton - St. Mark's: These teams wrap up on Sunday with their traditional rivalry game, which is also how they started the season. St. Mark's won that game in what I considered a pretty big upset. We'll see if Groton gets revenge.

Middlesex: Done for the year
St. George's: Done for the year
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Some good one yesterday. Tabor raced out to a 5-1 leads on Seb's before the Arrows regrouped and won 15-10. Three one goal games with Thayer 9 - RL 8, Govs 10 - Rivers 9, and Brooks 14 - BB&N 13. Nobles cruised 20-11 over Lawrence. I didn't see the Belmont Hill - Milton Academy score.
Flag Down

Post by Flag Down »

Belmont Hill was up 16-2 at the half and the final was 18-6. Younger guys got a lot of runs all day.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Nice write up and video highlights of Belmont Hill-Deerfield.
https://nlfrankings.com/deerfield-belmo ... fenberger/
WalmartCarc

Post by WalmartCarc »

Would it be a stretch to say this year's BH squad is one of if not the best team the ISL has seen given their dominant in-league performances combined with more than solid out of league play?
Superlite2

Post by Superlite2 »

definitely. I think the Govs team with Macri, Davis, Vivian, Bidstrup also up there at the top (modern teams :D )
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

WalmartCarc wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:39 pm Would it be a stretch to say this year's BH squad is one of if not the best team the ISL has seen given their dominant in-league performances combined with more than solid out of league play?
If Seb's beats them tomorrow then I'd say it's a stretch, but if BH gets a third win over the Arrows then I think you've got to put them up there. I think Seb's 2019 deserves a mention as well that Govs team. Like BH this year a few of their wins were pretty close, but they ended up getting the Ws. They also performed quite well out of conference beating Malvern Prep and the PA public school state finalist that year. Overall ISL and MA lacrosse keep getting better imo so pretty much every new champ gets entered into this discussion.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

No ISL tourney or champs this year but today we get what probably would've been the title game if this had been a normal year.

Belmont Hill - St. Seb's: Will the third time be a charm for Seb's? With Travaglini out for the season for Belmont Hill, Therbege has done well filling in at attack against strong competition but there's definitely a drop off. Seb's tweaked the line up a bit after the two losses to BH, moving a senior whose strength is predominantly as a time and room shooter from the starting attack and putting in a sophomore who's more of a ball carrier/dodger and he will probably run the offense in the coming seasons. Rideout has also started playing more shifts on offense instead of just FOGOing, which gives Seb's another dodger/scorer. Will it be enough? We'll see. Seb's seems to be dealing with a few injuries in the midfield and Belmont Hill is just so good in close games against ISL opponents. They almost never blink and I don't think they will this afternoon.

Livestream at 3:30 - https://bbiglive.com/events/95-belmont- ... 2021-05-26
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Laxxal22 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:46 am No ISL tourney or champs this year but today we get what probably would've been the title game if this had been a normal year.

Belmont Hill - St. Seb's: Will the third time be a charm for Seb's? With Travaglini out for the season for Belmont Hill, Therbege has done well filling in at attack against strong competition but there's definitely a drop off. Seb's tweaked the line up a bit after the two losses to BH, moving a senior whose strength is predominantly as a time and room shooter from the starting attack and putting in a sophomore who's more of a ball carrier/dodger and he will probably run the offense in the coming seasons. Rideout has also started playing more shifts on offense instead of just FOGOing, which gives Seb's another dodger/scorer. Will it be enough? We'll see. Seb's seems to be dealing with a few injuries in the midfield and Belmont Hill is just so good in close games against ISL opponents. They almost never blink and I don't think they will this afternoon.

Livestream at 3:30 - https://bbiglive.com/events/95-belmont- ... 2021-05-26
13-8 BH wins. Looked over early as BH raced out to an 8-1 lead. Seb's got it to 8-6 at the half, and got within one goal but BH extended the lead again in the 4th. Pretty much how all three match ups went this year, and I'm pretty sure Seb's never held a lead in any of them.

Although it won't live on in any record books, heck of a season for BH. They graduate a great group, but they'll reload not rebuild. Seb's with a lot to stew on this summer, but they're technically still the reigning league champs, and will have an absolutely stacked team next year.
Laxboy78

Post by Laxboy78 »

Middlesex is playing SJP now. Interesting matchup. SJP has the best team they have ever had without a doubt.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Laxboy78 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 1:07 pm Middlesex is playing SJP now. Interesting matchup. SJP has the best team they have ever had without a doubt.
Wow, I always love to see any ISL-Catholic Conference matchups that take place after March, and this one would be especially juicy with each squad's 2021 roster, but with everything that's happened I expect Middlesex to be closer to preseason form than end of season. The Middlesex twitter account mentioned they're playing in something called "the prep school summer challenge" June 9 & 10 so they must be trying to get a run with quality opponent beforehand. With how SJP has been blasting teams it might be like trying to hop on a treadmill that's going 20 mph for the Zebras.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Bringing over the list of D1-committed 2022s from last year's thread as I saw the first D3 commitment made for next year's seniors. I think it's a pretty strong class overall so we should see a lot of announcements coming up. July 1 is typically when kids start announcing plans to go NESCAC so action should really pick up then. Please let me know if I'm missing anyone.

D1
Charlie Cave (mid) - Belmont Hill/3D New England - Brown
Tom Goguen (def) - Belmont Hill/Fighting Clams - Dartmouth
Jack Pappendick (mid) - BB&N/3D New England - Duke
Thomas Porrell (mid) - BB&N/3D New England - Notre Dame
Ian Olenik (lsm) - Govs/Twisters - Providence
Ben Baroni (def) - Govs/NH Tomahawks - Villanova
Gavin Begonia (att) - Lawrence Academy/NH Tomahawks - Ohio State
Jack Taylor (mid) - Lawrence Academy/Fighting Clams - Jacksonville
Zach Auble (mid) - Lawrence Academy/Fighting Clams - UMass
Oran Gelinas (goal) - Middlesex/Laxachusetts - Ohio State
Chad Palumbo (att) - Nobles/Fighting Clams - Princeton
Will Potter (def) - Rivers/Laxachusetts - Utah
Tim Evnin (att) - St. George's/Express North - Hobart
Jack Rideout (faceoff) - St. Seb's/Laxachusetts - Michigan
PJ McKeigue (def) - St. Seb's/Laxachusetts - Penn
Aidan Maguire (mid) - St. Seb's/Laxachusetts - Duke
Aidan O'Neil (att) - Tabor/Laxachusetts - Richmond (Originally committed to Utah)
Tim McNamara (goal) - Tabor/Laxachusetts - Denver

4 Ivy, 3 ACC, 3 Big East, 3 Big Ten, 2 SoCon, 1 CAA, 1 NEC, 1 Independent

D2
Dom Pasquale (goal) - Rivers/Fighting Clams - Colorado Mesa
Tyler Vigeant (def) - St. George's/RI Bulldogs - Saint Anselm

1 NE10, 1 RMAC

D3
Drew Dummer (def) - Belmont Hill/Laxachusetts - Middlebury
Ethan O'Neill (mid) - Belmont Hill/Laxachusetts - Tufts
Liam Horkan (mid) - Belmont Hill/NH Tomahawks - Conn College
Adam Figler (att) - Belmont Hill/3D New England - Williams
Aidan Shea (def) - Brooks/HGR - Conn College
Patrick Eldridge (mid) - Groton/NH Tomahawks - RPI
Travis Foster (faceoff) - Lawrence Academy/NH Tomahawks - Endicott
Jack Cunningham (att) - Lawrence Academy/Fighting Clams - Centre College
Sam Raye-Steiner (att) - Middlesex/3D New England - Bowdoin
Rex Mabbs (mid) - Middlesex/Fighting Clams - Swarthmore
Lucca Casagrande (def) - Milton Academy/Laxachusetts - Wesleyan
Ben Clarke (lsm) - Nobles/Fighting Clams - Colorado College
Josh Gangi (att) - Nobles/3D New England - Union
Peter Del Col (goal) Nobles/Fighting Clams - Haverford
Alex Vlacich (mid) - Rivers/Laxachusetts - Amherst
Luke D'Orisi (att) - St. Mark's/Fighting Clams - Babson
Jack Almeida (mid) - St. George's/Eclipse - Trinity
Andrew Hahm (def) - St. Seb's/Laxachusetts - Amherst
Tim Souza (def) - St. Seb's/Laxachusetts - Amherst
Ben Frisoli (lsm) - St. Seb's/Laxachusetts - Tufts
Griffin Cusack (def) - St. Seb's/Laxachusetts - Colorado College
Tim Browne (mid) - St. Seb's/Laxachusetts - Colorado College
Griffin Hough (lsm) - Tabor/Laxachusetts - Gettysburg
Cooper Manzi (att) - Tabor/Laxachusetts - RPI
Ted Wilson (mid) - Thayer/Laxachusetts - St. Lawrence
Colin Whitmore (att) - Thayer/Laxachusetts - Colorado College

12 NESCAC, 4 Liberty, 4 SCAC, 3 Centennial, 1 CCC, 1 NEWMAC, 1 SAA
Last edited by Laxxal22 on Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:20 pm, edited 26 times in total.
MA Lax Fan

Post by MA Lax Fan »

Any results on Middlesex v SJP? This is a very interesting matchup with a top 5 team from each league.
Family

Post by Family »

Mx won 8-7.
Superlite2

Post by Superlite2 »

The first 3 qtrs had starters for both teams and it was 4-4 after 3...100 degrees on the turf. Middlesex had maybe 16-18 kids with their senior attackman standing next to the box in street clothes with a knee injury...
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

NE Lax Journal out with their all-New England team

ATTACK
Coulter Mackesy (Bronxville, N.Y.), sr., Brunswick (Princeton)
Chad Palumbo (Newton, Mass.), jr., Noble and Greenough (Princeton)
Jeffery Ricciardelli (New Canaan, Conn.,), sr., Taft (Notre Dame)

The attack is spearheaded by Brunswick School senior Coulter Mackesy, who can count an OT game-winner against Darien on his resume as he heads to Princeton in the fall.

Junior Chad Palumbo was outstanding for Nobles this season and will join Mackesy at Princeton in two autumns.
Senior Jeffery Ricciardelli had an explosive end to his season as well with the Rhinos, and will follow a Taft pipeline to South Bend.

MIDFIELD
Griffin Schutz (Trumbull, Conn.), sr., Deerfield (Virginia)
Cole Van Meter (Medfield, Mass.), sr., Noble and Greenough (Boston University)
Aidan Maguire (Hingham, Mass.), jr., St. Sebastian’s (Duke)

The midfield has swingman Griffin Schutz at the forefront. At times, Schutz was just unguardable for unbeaten Deerfield, the top-ranked team in the region, but his pick play is what made him stand out whenever he was off the ball.

Duke recruit Aidan Maguire and Cole Van Meter each led their respective teams on offense as they chased the pace set by presumptive Independent School League winner Belmont Hill.

FACEOFF
Dash Sachs (Westport, Conn.), sr., Taft (Brown)

The face-off spot was difficult to pick as Brunswick’s draw man Blake Burchill (Bucknell) was also strongly considered, but ultimately Sachs’ performance in the GEICO Lacrosse High School Nationals put him over the top.

SSDM
Casey Reynolds (Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y.), sr., Deerfield

Usually, the short-stick defensive midfield slot is tough to pick, but Deerfield’s Casey Reynolds made it easy with his hustle and nonstop energy. He’ll head to Army-West Point to continue his football career.

DEFENSE
Colin Mulshine (Riverside, Conn.), sr., Brunswick (Princeton)
Grant Litchfield (Sudbury, Mass.), sr., Belmont Hill (Lehigh)
Jimmy Freehill (Chestnut Hill, Mass.), sr., St. Sebastian’s (Denver)

The defense spots were picked with pure stopping power in mind, and leading the pack in that category was Jimmy Freehill. Freehill is rated as a five-star defensive recruit and no attackman wanted to line up against him.

Colin Mulshine, another top-rated recruit, was also a marauding presence in front of the cage for Brunswick all season long. Grant Litchfield led the back end for the ISL’s best team.

GOALIE
Thomas Ricciardelli (New Canaan, Conn.), jr., Taft (Notre Dame)

The defense was backstopped by Thomas Ricciardelli who, despite being a junior, had the strongest finish to the 2021 campaign. Yes, this spot could easily go to Deerfield’s Michael Scharfenberger (Georgetown) and some would argue that he should get the nod for seniority.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Interesting/weird year capped off by an interesting/weird mix of players on this list. I think I'd swap out Palumbo for Travaglini but it's pretty close. Doesn't look like there will be an All ISL team or the typical three All Americans named by the league. Freehill and Litchfield were the two players that stood out the most to me this season. I would've been interested in seeing Fulton from Middlesex and Doherty from Groton but they just didn't many games.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

As always, it looks like the ISL is going to send a lot of players to the NESCAC. These rising seniors have already committed just two days into the NESCAC offering period. All strong players who imo are on that D1/D3 cusp.

Amherst
Andrew Hahm, D, St. Sebastians, Laxachusetts

Colby
Alex Vlacich, M, Rivers School, Laxachusetts

Tufts
Ethan O'Neill, M, Belmont Hill, Laxachusetts

Williams
Adam Figler, A, Belmont Hill, 3D New England
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Laxxal22 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:07 pm As always, it looks like the ISL is going to send a lot of players to the NESCAC. These rising seniors have already committed just two days into the NESCAC offering period. All strong players who imo are on that D1/D3 cusp.

Amherst
Andrew Hahm, D, St. Sebastians, Laxachusetts

Colby
Alex Vlacich, M, Rivers School, Laxachusetts

Tufts
Ethan O'Neill, M, Belmont Hill, Laxachusetts

Williams
Adam Figler, A, Belmont Hill, 3D New England
Wesleyan
Lucca Casagrande, D, Milton Academy, LXC

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”