Nassau Section VIII

HS Boys Lacrosse
fordmaddoxford

Re: Nassau Section VIII

Post by fordmaddoxford »

Interesting result

Rye 7
CSH 3

This could suggest that both Garden City in B (Rye) and CSH in D (Briarcliff, who beat Rye) might face stiff opposition from Section I in State Tournament.
Last edited by fordmaddoxford on Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
random observer

Post by random observer »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:53 pm
kr522 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:46 pm Murf - what's your assessment of GC? CSH knows how to play to their strengths every year (welcome to the party), they drive me nuts more than any opponent Manhasset faces, even if GC is the rivalry I care most about.

Manhasset plays Darien this saturday, I believe several Darien players out with COVID in their recent loss, otherwise it's a strong team this year. So will be interesting test if Darien has most of their guys back. Based on last year I'm not sure I trust the Manhasset D

will be interesting to watch GC against MtS too. the Trojans need to ratchet up the D and ball control
I think Manhasset will beat Darien in a close matchup, something like 15-12, or akin to that. The defense is young with lots of potential and improving. Their Offense is another level though.

Joe
Darien had their full complement of guys against New Canaan as far as I could tell -- just got outplayed. Put in another uninspired display last night in a 9-8 2OT win over Yorktown. They're in a serious funk and if they don't snap out of it they are going to get worked by both Staples and Manhasset this week.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

random observer wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:18 am
kr522 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:46 pm Murf - what's your assessment of GC? CSH knows how to play to their strengths every year (welcome to the party), they drive me nuts more than any opponent Manhasset faces, even if GC is the rivalry I care most about.

Manhasset plays Darien this saturday, I believe several Darien players out with COVID in their recent loss, otherwise it's a strong team this year. So will be interesting test if Darien has most of their guys back. Based on last year I'm not sure I trust the Manhasset D

will be interesting to watch GC against MtS too. the Trojans need to ratchet up the D and ball control
I think Manhasset will beat Darien in a close matchup, something like 15-12, or akin to that. The defense is young with lots of potential and improving. Their Offense is another level though.

Joe
Darien had their full complement of guys against New Canaan as far as I could tell -- just got outplayed. Put in another uninspired display last night in a 9-8 2OT win over Yorktown. They're in a serious funk and if they don't snap out of it they are going to get worked by both Staples and Manhasset this week.
I agree 100%, this Manhasset "O" will expose many a defenses if they are not on top of their game.

Joe
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

fordmaddoxford wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:53 am Interesting result

Rye 7
CSH 3

This could suggest that both Garden City in B (Rye) and CSH in D (Briarcliff, who beat Rye) might face stiff opposition from Section I in State Tournament.
Seems likely, especially Briarcliff in D. I believe Briarcliff also has 1 or 2 more OOC games against Suffolk teams remaining. I know they play SWR towards the end of the season.

Joe
fordmaddoxford

Post by fordmaddoxford »

They play at Shoreham Saturday. They lost a tough OT game to Lafayette in D in 2019, moved back to C last year and are now back in D. At St. Anthony’s is their only loss so far.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

fordmaddoxford wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:34 am They play at Shoreham Saturday. They lost a tough OT game to Lafayette in D in 2019, moved back to C last year and are now back in D. At St. Anthony’s is their only loss so far.
Thanks, no shame in losing to St. Anthony's this year. Probably a top 3 squad in the nation. Was very impressed with how St. Ignatius handled themselves against the Friars yesterday losing 13-10. I think they will beat Chaminade tomorrow. They have some GK, he made some amazing saves yesterday.

Joe
kr522

Post by kr522 »

Joe
Pretty sure Darien did Not have the full team vs New Canaan, also dealing with some tragedy around the program from what I’ve heard. Regardless it should be a good game, and hopefully Manhasset brings their A game
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

kr522 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:54 pm

Joe
Pretty sure Darien did Not have the full team vs New Canaan, also dealing with some tragedy around the program from what I’ve heard. Regardless it should be a good game, and hopefully Manhasset brings their A game
Looking forward to the matchup as well, should be a good one. The Manhasset Offense is the real deal, quite explosive.

Joe
random observer

Joe
Maybe they might have been without a couple of depth pieces, but they definitely had all their starters; that game was lost because they were outplayed not because they were undermanned. You have heard correctly on the other front; the program did experience a tragedy recently, and I'm almost certain it was the reason why the game with Manhasset was rescheduled. Those kids have certainly had a lot to deal with emotionally off of the field.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:08 pm

Joe
Looking forward to the matchup as well, should be a good one. The Manhasset Offense is the real deal, quite explosive.

Joe
Darien 13-11 Final
kr522

Post by kr522 »

Manhasset will have a lot of film to learn from out of this one
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

kr522 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:06 pm Manhasset will have a lot of film to learn from out of this one
Agreed, was their first big test, with them being so young in certain spots. They need to vary up there angles of attack on the offensive end. Forced too much today. Their FOGO was a little off today as well, even though they had a decided advantage in FO won. The goalie Matt Im, is only a sophomore and not bad. He made some good saves, but was left out to dry too many times. This loss will serve them better, as they get ready for GC, CSH and then Chaminade. Still a lot of potential for this team but it will take a little time to gel and realize it. Playing GC then CSH and then Chaminade in a week long span will only help them develop. Darien is a well-balanced team, credit to them for a nice win today.

Joe
kr522

Post by kr522 »

Yeah, that’s the nice thing about scheduling these games early. I agree the soph goalie looked pretty good, lots of upside there over the course of the season. But I’m not sure team defense is one of their strengths, which was a challenge last year too. They seem to be a team that loves to transition and push the pace, and as you say could use some work on their set offense. Besides having a better D, I thought Darien just moved better without the ball which might have been the difference. Luckily they have coaches who know a lot more than me
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

kr522 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:25 pm Yeah, that’s the nice thing about scheduling these games early. I agree the soph goalie looked pretty good, lots of upside there over the course of the season. But I’m not sure team defense is one of their strengths, which was a challenge last year too. They seem to be a team that loves to transition and push the pace, and as you say could use some work on their set offense. Besides having a better D, I thought Darien just moved better without the ball which might have been the difference. Luckily they have coaches who know a lot more than me
+1
fordmaddoxford

Post by fordmaddoxford »

I wish I were as sanguine about Manhasset’s prospects as the rest of you. This is far from a vintage Darien team. The goalie play, as evidenced by the fact that they can’t settle on one, is mediocre at best. I am singularly unimpressed with it. The Mt. Sinai team I watched beat Garden City would eat them alive. That team has no weaknesses. Losses to any combination of GC, CSH, and Chaminade are definitely on the table.
kr522

Post by kr522 »

fordmaddoxford wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:06 pm I wish I were as sanguine about Manhasset’s prospects as the rest of you. This is far from a vintage Darien team. The goalie play, as evidenced by the fact that they can’t settle on one, is mediocre at best. I am singularly unimpressed with it. The Mt. Sinai team I watched beat Garden City would eat them alive. That team has no weaknesses. Losses to any combination of GC, CSH, and Chaminade are definitely on the table.
I’m not sure anyone was sanguine, my first comment was they have a lot to learn from this game. I also said defense is not their strength. Joe, who arguably had a more positive tone, agreed on those points and added a couple of his own. I could go on the attack but what’s the point? These are high school kids.

And I’m not trying to say we can’t criticize but many years ago I did call out some kids once while sharing my thoughts, and I regretted it immediately. I imagine some read what I wrote so I don’t do that anymore. the truth is as an alumnus it brings me a lot of joy that this team is so good year in and year out. What’s wrong with being grateful too?
Last edited by kr522 on Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
kr522

Post by kr522 »

fordmaddoxford wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:06 pm I wish I were as sanguine about Manhasset’s prospects as the rest of you. This is far from a vintage Darien team. The goalie play, as evidenced by the fact that they can’t settle on one, is mediocre at best. I am singularly unimpressed with it. The Mt. Sinai team I watched beat Garden City would eat them alive. That team has no weaknesses. Losses to any combination of GC, CSH, and Chaminade are definitely on the table.
And as a ps, I agree with you Mt Sinai will be really tough to beat….I’d guess a lot tougher than last year, but then again I’ve seen stranger things happen
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

kr522 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:43 pm
And as a ps, I agree with you Mt Sinai will be really tough to beat….I’d guess a lot tougher than last year, but then again I’ve seen stranger things happen
Well said, and if GC could hang with them for a while, Manhasset absolutely can as well. I mean its as if he is acting like they lost 13-2 to Darien. It was a competitive game throughout.

Joe
random observer

I haven't watched a ton of Manhasset this year but I'd wager they're better than they showed on Saturday. I felt like they generated good looks out of the midfield but just didn't stick their shots. The other big difference was that Manhasset didn't seem to have any answers for Minicus defensively. I thought Darien played poor defensively for stretches of the game, but they were able to hold some of Manhasset's top guys in check; Rielly torched them, but Evanchick erased Perfetto and Stafford did a really good job on Terenzi.

I don't see too much cause for pessimism based on this loss. Darien is still a bit of a work in progress right now, but they're very talented and they played much better on Saturday than they did in a few of their previous games. Going purely off of their performances against Darien, Manhasset played the Wave much tougher than Chaminade, although it does seem like the Flyers are improving lately. GC has a terrific defense, but I didn't come away from that GC/Sinai game thinking that either of them is on another level from Set.
fordmaddoxford

Post by fordmaddoxford »

random observer wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:23 pm I haven't watched a ton of Manhasset this year but I'd wager they're better than they showed on Saturday. I felt like they generated good looks out of the midfield but just didn't stick their shots. The other big difference was that Manhasset didn't seem to have any answers for Minicus defensively. I thought Darien played poor defensively for stretches of the game, but they were able to hold some of Manhasset's top guys in check; Rielly torched them, but Evanchick erased Perfetto and Stafford did a really good job on Terenzi.

I don't see too much cause for pessimism based on this loss. Darien is still a bit of a work in progress right now, but they're very talented and they played much better on Saturday than they did in a few of their previous games. Going purely off of their performances against Darien, Manhasset played the Wave much tougher than Chaminade, although it does seem like the Flyers are improving lately. GC has a terrific defense, but I didn't come away from that GC/Sinai game thinking that either of them is on another level from Set.
I appreciate those observations, RO. I agree that, on the whole, Manhasset is better than they showed Saturday. They did play a (non-competitive) game the night before. I have been harping on what I have previously described as the team’s “Achilles heel”. Enough said. The defense, as you allude to, is not without fault. The better the looks the D gives the opposition the tougher the stops.

The Chaminade of the last 3 games looks to be a much different team from the one which lost to Darien. As for hanging with Mt. Sinai it is worth noting that the GC goalie stopped 17 of their 25 shots. I am comfortable in predicting that if a Manhasset-Mt. Sinai game comes to pass and,if by individual or committee, the goalie/s stop Mustang shots at a 68% clip Manhasset not only hangs they win the game handily.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”