Nassau Section VIII

HS Boys Lacrosse
wahoomurf

Re: Nassau Section VIII

Post by wahoomurf »

Some folks have made predictions about the LIC WINNERS.Interesting!

First the B and C titles must be played. Normally,I would think the Senior Lacrosse commitments would play significant roles in the outcomes.

SENIOR COMMITMENTS PER NEWSDAY: CSH 2 ;Manhasset 9;Carey 5 and Garden City 1. Underclassmen may have to step up big time.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

wahoomurf wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:31 pm Some folks have made predictions about the LIC WINNERS.Interesting!

First the B and C titles must be played. Normally,I would think the Senior Lacrosse commitments would play significant roles in the outcomes.

SENIOR COMMITMENTS PER NEWSDAY: CSH 2 ;Manhasset 9;Carey 5 and Garden City 1. Underclassmen may have to step up big time.

Murf,

I'm fairly Confident Manhasset will beat CSH. Even though CSH "held" Manhasset to its lowest goal total all season, 12(!) Nobody has been able to keep them under double digits. In fact, in their first matchup CSH only scored 5 goals. Manhasset has only given up Double-Digit goals once all season, against GC in a rivalry game that is always close and where Jack Cascadden their FO guy got very hot in the 2nd Half. Yet GC still gave up 19 goals to Manhasset. Their offense is one of the best in the nation. They have it all, Senior Leadership and loaded with Underclassmen.

I am LESS confident regarding Garden City over Carey. GC struggled to beat a middle of the pack South Side team in the semifinals 6-5. Carey is athletic and has enough talent to pull off the upset.

I've been following closely all season long so I know each squad pretty well this season!

Joe
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:58 pm
wahoomurf wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:31 pm Some folks have made predictions about the LIC WINNERS.Interesting!

Murf,

I'm fairly Confident Manhasset will beat CSH. Even though CSH "held" Manhasset to its lowest goal total all season, 12(!) Nobody has been able to keep them under double digits. In fact, in their first matchup CSH only scored 5 goals. Manhasset has only given up Double-Digit goals once all season, against GC in a rivalry game that is always close and where Jack Cascadden their FO guy got very hot in the 2nd Half. Yet GC still gave up 19 goals to Manhasset. Their offense is one of the best in the nation. They have it all, Senior Leadership and loaded with Underclassmen.

I am LESS confident regarding Garden City over Carey. GC struggled to beat a middle of the pack South Side team in the semifinals 6-5. Carey is athletic and has enough talent to pull off the upset.

I've been following closely all season long so I know each squad pretty well this season!

Joe
Does Garden City really only have 1 senior committed to play in college???
kr522

Post by kr522 »

Murf,

Joe
Carey seemed to struggle down the stretch, we know GC will dominate face offs so how does Carey beat them?

congrats to Syosset getting revenge over Farmingdale.....it's impressive that CSH took them out with a young group. I share the enthusiasm for this Manhasset team, but still have emotional scars from Dennis Bonn teams in the mid-00s to assume anything other than a dogfight in this one
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

kr522 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:54 pm

Murf,

Joe
Carey seemed to struggle down the stretch, we know GC will dominate face offs so how does Carey beat them?

congrats to Syosset getting revenge over Farmingdale.....it's impressive that CSH took them out with a young group. I share the enthusiasm for this Manhasset team, but still have emotional scars from Dennis Bonn teams in the mid-00s to assume anything other than a dogfight in this one
I have them too, I was in school during those times. But I still think Manhasset takes it without too much trouble. I agree regarding Carey, it will take some good goalie play and aggressive defense to cause some turnovers and get the momentum in their favor. We shall see, game starts in a few minutes..

Joe
kr522

Post by kr522 »

Are the games being streamed?
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

kr522 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:05 pm Are the games being streamed?
Manhasset 10 CSH 8 FINAL

Don't have a box score yet to see how close this really was, but CSH was a very solid team this year and Dennis Bonn has a history of outcoaching his Manhasset counterpart the second time around during a season. I've seen it too many times.. Anyway, this Manhasset team was just too strong in the end. Advance to play the winner of Mt. Sinai/BBP on Saturday at East Islip. I think the game is at 530 or 630 not sure yet.

Joe
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Murf,

I'm fairly Confident Manhasset will beat CSH. Even though CSH "held" Manhasset to its lowest goal total all season, 12(!) Nobody has been able to keep them under double digits. In fact, in their first matchup CSH only scored 5 goals. Manhasset has only given up Double-Digit goals once all season, against GC in a rivalry game that is always close and where Jack Cascadden their FO guy got very hot in the 2nd Half. Yet GC still gave up 19 goals to Manhasset.Their offense is one of the best in the nation.They have it all, Senior Leadership and loaded with Underclassmen.

Joe

kr522: A voice from the past.Hope all is well.

CSH controlled the ball for 9+ minutes in Q1.MHS's 2+ minutes yielded 2 goals. I thought MHS was about to score at will.Not so.Teams traded goals for the remainder of the game.With the score 9-8.MHS popped in another to make it a 10-8 FINAL.

Carey had an up and down year.They lost to GC twice (including tonight) but certainly didn't quit. I have been playing, coaching,recruiting and following lacrosse since Lincoln was President. Anyone can speculate with personal passion and guesswork if he or she so chooses. I would NEVER,especially this year,declare any TEAM in the country a top 10 or a top 20 WITHOUT watching them play head to head.

POURTANT CHACUN A SONT GOUT. ;)
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

wahoomurf wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:43 pm

Murf,

I'm fairly Confident Manhasset will beat CSH. Even though CSH "held" Manhasset to its lowest goal total all season, 12(!) Nobody has been able to keep them under double digits. In fact, in their first matchup CSH only scored 5 goals. Manhasset has only given up Double-Digit goals once all season, against GC in a rivalry game that is always close and where Jack Cascadden their FO guy got very hot in the 2nd Half. Yet GC still gave up 19 goals to Manhasset.Their offense is one of the best in the nation.They have it all, Senior Leadership and loaded with Underclassmen.

Joe

kr522: A voice from the past.Hope all is well.

CSH controlled the ball for 9+ minutes in Q1.MHS's 2+ minutes yielded 2 goals. I thought MHS was about to score at will.Not so.Teams traded goals for the remainder of the game.With the score 9-8.MHS popped in another to make it a 10-8 FINAL.

Carey had an up and down year.They lost to GC twice (including tonight) but certainly didn't quit. I have been playing, coaching,recruiting and following lacrosse since Lincoln was President. Anyone can speculate with personal passion and guesswork if he or she so chooses. I would NEVER,especially this year,declare any TEAM in the country a top 10 or a top 20 WITHOUT watching them play head to head.

POURTANT CHACUN A SONT GOUT. ;)
Murf,

Your knowledge of LI Lax is invaluable, I was at the first CSH-Manhasset game a few weeks ago, was always confident Manhasset would win in the end. I knew that CSH would slow it down to a grind, it was the only way for them for to stay in the game with Manhasset's powerful offense. We shall see on Saturday if Mt Sinai can do the same. I won't predict the score just yet, but again I think Manhasset is the stronger team and will take home the LI Class C title in '21.

Joe
kr522

Post by kr522 »

thanks for the color commentary......first off congrats to Manhasset kids for winning the county, and to GC and Syo. Bonn is like Barry Trotz before Trotz ever got this good! I'm not shocked he made everyone sweat....next year will be interesting to see how it plays out for them as CSH has a young team but loses 3 of their 4 top scorers

Did Manhasset struggle with face offs? wondering how CSH was able to repeatedly hold onto the ball so long as the MHS sophomore is supposed to be very good. hoping to make it to the LIC finals....Mt Sinai really dominated their game
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

kr522 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:05 am thanks for the color commentary......first off congrats to Manhasset kids for winning the county, and to GC and Syo. Bonn is like Barry Trotz before Trotz ever got this good! I'm not shocked he made everyone sweat....next year will be interesting to see how it plays out for them as CSH has a young team but loses 3 of their 4 top scorers

Did Manhasset struggle with face offs? wondering how CSH was able to repeatedly hold onto the ball so long as the MHS sophomore is supposed to be very good. hoping to make it to the LIC finals....Mt Sinai really dominated their game
Sounds like they did in the 1st Quarter, after that, not as much. Should be a good game on Saturday. Mt. Sinai did struggle with Westhampton and Harborfields, who are middle of the pack teams in Suffolk though...

Joe
kr522

Post by kr522 »

just double checking with the powers that be here....

https://lilaxjournal.com/flg_roster/man ... boys-2021/

it says the Class C game is 3pm; and Class B is 5:30. do you guys have confirmation on which game begins when? for some reason i thought the Class C game was 5:30pm
fordmaddoxford

Post by fordmaddoxford »

Manhasset will be facing a potent Attack unit in Mt. Sinai.

Spallina 37G 68A
LaForge (Freshman) 42G 7A
Deckert 29G 10A
Colantonio 18G 7A
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

fordmaddoxford wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:10 pm Manhasset will be facing a potent Attack unit in Mt. Sinai.

Spallina 37G 68A
LaForge (Freshman) 42G 7A
Deckert 29G 10A
Colantonio 18G 7A
Ford,

Totally agree, best they have seen all year long. But Mt. Sinai hasn't seen a stable of middies like Manhasset rolls out. Like I said, should be a good game on Saturday. It may very well be at 3PM, I'm hoping for some confirmation from Newsday soon. It's either at 3PM or 530PM. Confirmation will come well in advance of game time, I'm sure of it.

Manhasset Midfield
Aidan Muholland Class of 2021 54 G 17A, 71 Pts (last night's stats NOT included) 6th in LI
Hunter Panzik Class of 2022- 10G 8A, Committed to Air Force
Joey Terenzi Class of 2022 (Arguably the 2nd or 3rd best player in 2022 behind Spallina) 23G 20A

Manhasset Attack:
Rory Connor Class of 2021: One of the leading scorers on LI 54 G 20A, 74 Points (last night's stats NOT included) 5th in LI
Matthew Perfetto Class of 2022: Great Feeder, underrated
Alex Giacobbe Class of 2021: Talented player, 19G 8A

Very talented FO guy from 2023, Cal Girard. Getting better with each game.

Joe
Last edited by JoeMauer89 on Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kr522

Post by kr522 »

agree. no idea about Class D, but the 3 other games should be a battle royale. normally Class B is highly likely to go to Nassau, but Comsewogue looks really good in a tougher year for GC, so we shall see
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

kr522 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:39 pm agree. no idea about Class D, but the 3 other games should be a battle royale. normally Class B is highly likely to go to Nassau, but Comsewogue looks really good in a tougher year for GC, so we shall see
+1

Comsewogue may be the favorite (slight) in B...

Joe
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Comsewogue has IMHO one of the BEST coaches on Long Island.I was on the selection group for an L.I. Empire Team (gone the way of the Dinosaurs) of which Pete Mitchell was head coach.He had an almost uncanny knack for picking out players that may not have had the accolades of some of the more heralded chaps.

Last night,I was speaking with Cassese.He told me that Mitchell brought out the best in the Comsewogue kids that were relatively new to the sport. And went on to state that Pete helped KC improve his game.

I place Kevin toward the top of MY SUBJECTIVE LIST OF LI's BEST HIGH SCHOOL PLAYERS.As such,I was surprised that ANYONE on the planet could enhance Kevin's skills.Not so.A few years ago,Garden City played C'Wogue at Hofstra for the LIC, Cassese almost single-handedly beat a good GC team.

I'm not if sure these teams have played since then.With skinny Pete's coaching,it should be a great game.
Last edited by wahoomurf on Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

pcowlax wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:46 pm

Murf,

Joe
Does Garden City really only have 1 senior committed to play in college???
Per NEWSDAY'S commitments list,only 1 name appears.Usually GC has a few kids that plan to play lacrosse at the next level.Pretty late in the year for a kid to decide where they'll go or if they'll play. :?:
fordmaddoxford

Post by fordmaddoxford »

GC commits per Inside Lacrosse:

Connolly-Skidmore
Minuto-Muhlenberg
D. Quinn-Vassar
O. Quinn-Skidmore
O’Connor-Trinity

Staub-Cornell
Cascadden-Cornell

This list does not include several of their more prominent players whom one would expect to surface somewhere.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

fordmaddoxford wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:56 pm GC commits per Inside Lacrosse:

Connolly-Skidmore
Minuto-Muhlenberg
D. Quinn-Vassar
O. Quinn-Skidmore
O’Connor-Trinity

Staub-Cornell
Cascadden-Cornell

This list does not include several of their more prominent players whom one would expect to surface somewhere.
Seel #3 is an impressive player. He never stops moving and does some of the less glamorous "stuff". A guy most coaches would love to have on their team. Reminds me of Laviano my favorite WAHOO.

Kephart is a freshman? Wonder if he's Cornell bound as was his brother.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”