MASS HS Lax

HS Boys Lacrosse
Gorilla Fan

Re: MASS HS Lax

Post by Gorilla Fan »

MA Lax Fan wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:24 am He is absolutely in over his head. He is reaping the benefits of Lyndon’s recruiting. In 2-3 years when he has his own kids in there and the momentum has slowed
Really? So Pynchon is feeling the fruits of his “recruiting”?

Was Lyndon really out on the recruiting trail, visiting homes at BCHS promising them money?

Or was Lydon the benefit of a once and a generational player in Bowen that carried a State Championship? Fine coach... but at the end of the day, good players win championships

This isn’t D1 college, where coaches are waiting for their “recruits” to come in
Last edited by Gorilla Fan on Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

And to put this “recruiting” debate to rest...

Massachusetts has held state championships since the late 70’s. And despite all this “recruiting” going on, pretty much every year a public MIAA has won it..

Xavierian, SJP, and BCHS have each won it once in 50 years
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

Laxrules10 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:15 pm SJP likely rolls BCH again in the final. They will win almost every faceoff and have a much better D. Only chance for BCH is to start off in a zone D and stall it out to try and win a low scoring game.
That just might be the case... SJP is an outstanding team
MA Lax Fan

Post by MA Lax Fan »

Lyndon was a coach at Laxachusetts and his top players came from that club.

Pynchon is loaded with an army of current 3D players in the ‘22 class.

Daggett, at Xaverian, is a coach at Laxach. and is absolutely bringing in players from that club. Just look at where his current 9th & 10th graders are from…….Laxachusetts.

The Catholic schools recruit, maybe not like Clemson football, but to say they don’t recruit is laughable.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Gorilla Fan wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:12 am And to put this “recruiting” debate to rest...

Massachusetts has held state championships since the late 70’s. And despite all this “recruiting” going on, pretty much every year a public MIAA has won it..

Xavierian, SJP, and BCHS have each won it once in 50 years
Three in 50 years, but it will be 2 of the last three after tonight so it's starting to look like a bit of a trend.

I don't think many if any of these schools actively recruit, in terms of cold-calling the families of MBYLL standouts. IMO it's more like a snowball rolling downhill and gathering speed.

Club lacrosse is increasingly like AAU hoops in terms of identifying and putting top players together at younger and younger ages. For example, I believe there is a Laxachusetts Black squad for rising 5th graders. The kids become friends, parents talk, the idea of playing college lacrosse and finding the best path to do that becomes front and center in their thinking. Suddenly BC High seems like it might be a smarter way to ensure that than staying in a South Shore school system other than Hingham or Duxbury. They already know the coaches a bit from club. The coach is receptive/excited when they inquire. And off you go.

I have a good friend who's HC of a strong ISL football team. He has no reason to lie to me and swears up and down that he doesn't recruit any family or student that doesn't make the first move in terms of showing interest.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

MA Lax Fan wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:24 am He is absolutely in over his head. He is reaping the benefits of Lyndon’s recruiting. In 2-3 years when he has his own kids in there and the momentum has slowed, it will be a different story. BCH barely got by SJS and X and got beat by LS.

SJP & BCH both have high end D1 talent but Pynchon knows how to scheme and adjust.

I have seen both teams play and the talent is equal — the coaching is not.

If BCH even comes close to beating SJP - then I will eat crow but until then……
I didn't see the game (SJP11, BCH 7) It doesn't sound like a blowout. Or did BCH make it respectable late?
Laxboy78

Post by Laxboy78 »

I would not call it a blowout either, but once Prep went on a run in the second quarter, the game was never in question. The weather delay prob helped BC more, as The prep offense was starting to hum. Credit to BCH defense who played very tough today. Prep was just too strong at every position , and with a 7 goal lead, it is impossible to come back from.
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

The game was very even to start, then SJP went on a 5-0 run I think, then the game got stopped due to t-storms. Once the game resumed, SJP basically just slowed it down/long possessions and traded goals with BCH, which wasn't going to change the course of the game.
ABClaxfan

Post by ABClaxfan »

Gorilla Fan wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:08 am
MA Lax Fan wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:24 am He is absolutely in over his head. He is reaping the benefits of Lyndon’s recruiting. In 2-3 years when he has his own kids in there and the momentum has slowed
Really? So Pynchon is feeling the fruits of his “recruiting”?

Was Lyndon really out on the recruiting trail, visiting homes at BCHS promising them money?

Or was Lydon the benefit of a once and a generational player in Bowen that carried a State Championship? Fine coach... but at the end of the day, good players win championships

This isn’t D1 college, where coaches are waiting for their “recruits” to come in
BC High does not recruit flat out. BC High has many advantages that public school don't and kids want to go there. Many of the players have family ties to the school dating prior to Lydon or the current coach. Lydon is a great coach and built a winning culture. Bowen was a great player, but that 2018 state championship team was extremely deep and the offense was extremely underrated. There was not one team that could stop their offense. They also had a strong face off unit, a solid goalie, and really good poles outside of Bowen. Coach Lydon and Coach Heller are the reason BC High was so dominant.

The new coach from Wayland is in over his head. He poorly managed the team in 2019 that was pretty loaded and got out coached 3 times when they played SJP this past year. If the culture Lydon and Heller built is able to last-BC High will remain one of the top teams in D1 South
MA Lax Fan

Post by MA Lax Fan »

Can someone clarify the re-class rules for the MIAA.

Are you only allowed to play 4 years of HS sports?

i know the ISL & NEWest is a different animal but asking specifically about the MIAA.

I’m hearing of a lot smoke and mirror games being played in the Catholic Conference regarding football and re-classing.

Thanks.
Laxrules10

Post by Laxrules10 »

From the MIAA handbook.

Student Eligibility:
59.1 A student shall be eligible for interscholastic competition for no more than four
consecutive years after initially entering Grade 9. This limitation shall apply without
regard to actual participation or attempt to participate.

60. Student Eligibility: Age
A student shall be under 19 years of age, but may compete during the remainder of
the school year, provided that student’s 19th birthday occurs on or after September 1
of that year. For Freshman competition only, a student shall be under 16 years of age
but may compete during the remainder of the school year provided that the sixteenth
birthday occurs on or after September 1 of that year. Principals must exercise great
care in determining age of contestants, and in all doubtful cases, must secure birth
certificates from the town clerk of the pupil’s place of birth.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

MA Lax Fan wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:53 pm Can someone clarify the re-class rules for the MIAA.

i know the ISL & NEWest is a different animal but asking specifically about the MIAA.

I’m hearing of a lot smoke and mirror games being played in the Catholic Conference regarding football and re-classing.

Thanks.
I'm pretty sure Carter Rice (BC High/Syracuse) reclassed as a freshman at BC High after his freshman year at Milton Academy. He may have been an 8th grader on varsity at Milton in 2017, but I believe he played for the Laxachusetts 2020 team at the time and later switched to the 2021 squad. I wouldn't surprised at all if some families with athletic sons have them repeat a middle school grade when enrolling at a CC school to avoid that four year clock, provided that they won't be 19 before the start of senior year.

Interesting anecdote. My nephew is a sophomore at Concord Carlisle. Of everyone in his friend group he's the only boy who didn't start sophomore year already 16 years old. None repeated a grade, they just started kindergarten late. It feels like a lot more boys finish high school at 19 or the tail end of 18 than a generation ago.
MA Lax Fan

Post by MA Lax Fan »

So if kids like Rice are repeating 9th grade how come teams don’t get called on it?

A kid down the street from me just re-classed at a Catholic Conference school for his junior year and he fully plans on playing 5 years of HS sports. The kid is a freak athlete.

When I asked the dad about his kid re classing, the dad listed a bunch of kids at other Catholic schools doing the same thing.

Maybe this is the way it’s always been and I’m beating a dead horse but I’m genuinely curious.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Laxxal22 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:42 am
MA Lax Fan wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:53 pm Can someone clarify the re-class rules for the MIAA.

Thanks.
I'm pretty sure Carter Rice (BC High/Syracuse) reclassed as a freshman at BC High after his freshman year at Milton Academy. He may have been an 8th grader on varsity at Milton in 2017, but I believe he played for the Laxachusetts 2020 team at the time and later switched to the 2021 squad. I wouldn't surprised at all if some families with athletic sons have them repeat a middle school grade when enrolling at a CC school to avoid that four year clock, provided that they won't be 19 before the start of senior year.

Interesting anecdote. My nephew is a sophomore at Concord Carlisle. Of everyone in his friend group he's the only boy who didn't start sophomore year already 16 years old. None repeated a grade, they just started kindergarten late. It feels like a lot more boys finish high school at 19 or the tail end of 18 than a generation ago.
Probably better to finish HS at 19 now a days so you can buy beer (do they say "packie runs" anymore) for your buds.

I finished HS at 17 and turned 18 the day after I arrived at college to start orientation.
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

Boys should finish HS older...they develop much later than girls and the extra year can be very beneficial for maturity both physically and emotionally. I think Canada has it right with grade 13....
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

MA Lax Fan wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:41 pm So if kids like Rice are repeating 9th grade how come teams don’t get called on it?
Part of the reason might be because (at least in football) some of the public schools that can hang with/beat the Catholic Conference schools are doing some pretty shady stuff with addresses and what not themselves. If you try to shine a light on somebody else it might also get shined on you.
MA Lax Fan

Post by MA Lax Fan »

Makes sense.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Craigwell will be fine. I’m curious how Vona is going to do a LS going forward.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Laxrules10

Post by Laxrules10 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:47 pm Craigwell will be fine. I’m curious how Vona is going to do a LS going forward.
Going to be a tough one at LS. Talent is falling off and brags about pulling all the LS kids out of club for some reason.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxrules10 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:02 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:47 pm Craigwell will be fine. I’m curious how Vona is going to do a LS going forward.
Going to be a tough one at LS. Talent is falling off and brags about pulling all the LS kids out of club for some reason.
Hobart had a nice run of LS kids but they’ve progressively been less impactful. Eric Holden was a stud. Dan Ryan was an excellent player. John Herlihy had a awesome start to 20 then missed all of 21 to a knee injury. Cam Vona not likely to play and Andrew Vona left the team and school I think.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”