VA Public School Lacrosse

HS Boys Lacrosse
FXLax

Re: VA Public School Lacrosse

Post by FXLax »

I don’t think the NoVa region has freshman lacrosse. I helped out with the JV team a few years ago at Robinson and it was just V and JV. I think the only sports with freshman teams are football, basketball and maybe volleyball?
ckstevenson

Post by ckstevenson »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:24 am
ckstevenson wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:00 am Per a VA public HS coach on Facebook, JV (and I believe freshman) has been approved by VHSL to used modified 7v7 rules to enable teams to exist given lower than usual player turnout expected.

Would going to 7v7 for Freshman ever be a BENEFIT?
For the first time since the early 1980's lacrosse participation is down. This is also true for NVYLL. Some schools do not have enough players for JV and V. In addition the skill level between those who play year round club and those that do not is very wide. It is tough to place freshman with little experience on a varsity roster v teams with year round players. I think the 7v7 format will benefit the players new to the game or have 1 to 2 seasons of NVYLL. Fall brawl and other formats prove that 7v7 is good for the game
Great points.

I could see sticking with 7v7 for JV for another year, and there's not enough kids for freshmen/women teams so that's an oversight by me. But having the 7v7 option for JV would be a huge upside if it means doing that vs not having JV at all. Especially if you were struggling to have Varsity and JV, but maybe could make it work for JV with 12 or so guy/girls.

I think Fall Brawl, Fierce Nation, VEL or even the Maryland Lacrosse League (I can see more teams migrating to that from VA) are great but the cost is a big factor. At my kids' future HS I've been trying to figure out how to get funds raised so we can get more middle schoolers playing, or have a team or two for rising 9th graders so they show up with some experience. We're one of the schools (as are many) who are still trying to find anyone willing to play, or anyone who has seen a stick before.

I get very frustrated that lacrosse has such a low (basically non-existent) pick up culture. I think it'd greatly benefit the schools with non-traditional to lacrosse populations.
Lax89

Post by Lax89 »

FXLax wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:09 pm I don’t think the NoVa region has freshman lacrosse. I helped out with the JV team a few years ago at Robinson and it was just V and JV. I think the only sports with freshman teams are football, basketball and maybe volleyball?
I might be dating myself, but a couple programs tried it in an ad hoc basis maybe ten years ago? Oakton comes to mind as one that tried it for maybe a year. Looking forward to getting back out there! :D
ckstevenson

Post by ckstevenson »

Lax89 wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:32 pm
FXLax wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:09 pm I don’t think the NoVa region has freshman lacrosse. I helped out with the JV team a few years ago at Robinson and it was just V and JV. I think the only sports with freshman teams are football, basketball and maybe volleyball?
I might be dating myself, but a couple programs tried it in an ad hoc basis maybe ten years ago? Oakton comes to mind as one that tried it for maybe a year. Looking forward to getting back out there! :D
Excited for the boys and girls to get to practices and games too!

And I don't think referencing things 10 years ago is dating yourself, but I guess I'm dating myself...
ConcordetoODAC

Post by ConcordetoODAC »

ckstevenson wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:59 am
jerseyman wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:52 pm
ckstevenson wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:01 am
ConcordetoODAC wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:25 pm
FXLax wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:54 pm Any word on fans? Seems like restrictions are being lifted. I think I read “outdoor venues” can have up to 30% capacity. Having been to a few Robo lax games 30% should accommodate everyone
April 1, HS stadiums can have up to 500 spectators. Most VA HS will have as many fans as they want.
There MAY be variance with each HS, and with each County. I hope that Fairfax, where I am, can do this safely given that most public HS lacrosse games have at most of 100 fans (pure guess). With home and visitor fan seating there should be pretty easy ways to maintain distancing (if required) with masks etc.
Let’s hope so. The football attendance in Fairfax has been a joke.
I don't know if the attendance policy changed in time for football but our games have been basically family only with a small # of students allowed.
FCPS outdoor stadiums can accommodate 500 spectators as of April 1. HS football games played on or after had the adjusted numbers.
I doubt any FCPS lacrosse game has 500 spectators with the exception of Region/State contests.
ckstevenson

Post by ckstevenson »

ConcordetoODAC wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:06 pm
ckstevenson wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:59 am
jerseyman wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:52 pm
ckstevenson wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:01 am
ConcordetoODAC wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:25 pm
FXLax wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:54 pm Any word on fans? Seems like restrictions are being lifted. I think I read “outdoor venues” can have up to 30% capacity. Having been to a few Robo lax games 30% should accommodate everyone
April 1, HS stadiums can have up to 500 spectators. Most VA HS will have as many fans as they want.
There MAY be variance with each HS, and with each County. I hope that Fairfax, where I am, can do this safely given that most public HS lacrosse games have at most of 100 fans (pure guess). With home and visitor fan seating there should be pretty easy ways to maintain distancing (if required) with masks etc.
Let’s hope so. The football attendance in Fairfax has been a joke.
I don't know if the attendance policy changed in time for football but our games have been basically family only with a small # of students allowed.
FCPS outdoor stadiums can accommodate 500 spectators as of April 1. HS football games played on or after had the adjusted numbers.
I doubt any FCPS lacrosse game has 500 spectators with the exception of Region/State contests.
Hopefully that means I/we/you can attend!
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

What are some of the key early season matchup's to watch? With mostly district games, we should know early who is who and what is what. I think 5A is a foregone conclusion but 6A should see some surprises.
ckstevenson

Post by ckstevenson »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:07 pm What are some of the key early season matchup's to watch? With mostly district games, we should know early who is who and what is what. I think 5A is a foregone conclusion but 6A should see some surprises.
So uh, who's got 5A locked up and who are the teams in 6A to be watching?
ConcordetoODAC

Post by ConcordetoODAC »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:07 pm What are some of the key early season matchup's to watch? With mostly district games, we should know early who is who and what is what. I think 5A is a foregone conclusion but 6A should see some surprises.
A few opening week games:
Chantilly hosts Robinson 04/26/2021
Oakton hosts WT Woodson 04/26/2021
Lake Braddock hosts Centreville 04/26/2021
Madison hosts South County 04/28/2021
Langley hosts Marshall 04/28/2021
Champe hosts Stone Bridge 04/29/2021
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

ckstevenson wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:28 pm

I think the answer to both is the Rams. The 5A Rams do not have an L on the schedule as far as I can tell. Lock in 5A. The 6A Rams look to be the team to beat but Patriot Battlefield Yorktown or a few others could trip them up.
ckstevenson

Post by ckstevenson »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:01 pm
ckstevenson wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:28 pm

I think the answer to both is the Rams. The 5A Rams do not have an L on the schedule as far as I can tell. Lock in 5A. The 6A Rams look to be the team to beat but Patriot Battlefield Yorktown or a few others could trip them up.
Thanks. I haven't really followed who wins what at the public (really any HS, private included) level.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

Great to see that games are starting this week. Here are my 2021 predictions:

Best team: Riverside (state champs)
6A state champs: Robinson
Biggest Surprise: Lake Braddock
Best Game: Battlefield v Patriot

Let's hope for a great season!
ckstevenson

Post by ckstevenson »

First games tonight, haven't seen any results but heard of one COVID related reschedule/cancellation (two non-major schools).

Was a great night for lacrosse!

I did get to watch 20 minutes of JV game, and found the full field 7v7 interesting. Both teams had enough players to play 10v10 but didn't, wasn't sure if they could change this on a game by game basis per the coaches or what.
jerseyman

Post by jerseyman »

Oakton 10, Woodson 6. Sloppy game. Both teams were rusty in their first official game in two years.

Woodson jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead. Oakton clawed back to make 5-2 at the half. Lights went out for a 45 minute half. Game got as close as 8-6 late in the 4th, but Oakton iced it with a coast to coast goal from one of their long poles.

Both goalies played well. No. 3 for Woodson was the offensive star with 5 goals. Oakton’s controlled most of the face offs which was a difference maker. Oakton had a balanced attack with their 10 goals scored by 7 players. They could’ve had more but the Woodson goalie made some nice saves.

Nice to see high school lacrosse back.
SpinalTap14

Post by SpinalTap14 »

Chantilly vs ROBO score? LB vs Centreville? Anyone? Bueller?
GreenEggs

Post by GreenEggs »

Robo 13-2 Chantilly
Cville 17-12 LB
ConcordetoODAC

Post by ConcordetoODAC »

GreenEggs wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:34 am Robo 13-2 Chantilly
Cville 17-12 LB
Rust was apparent for both teams in the Chantilly game but Robinson appeared to be ready for the season. To anyone scouting, #21 Robinson is a problem for defenses, filthy lefty shooter/finisher. For anyone interested in streaming games, most FCPS have the new NFHS cameras installed and streams are free for the first year with a free membership. Grateful the season is in full swing good luck to everybody to get all the games in this season.
UnderArmourOdor

Re: Oakton HS Go Fund Me...

Post by UnderArmourOdor »

Oakton Needs Help Paying Electric Bill To Light Stadium During Games

During Oakton-WT Woodson Game the stadium lights went out disrupting game for 20-30 minutes.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-oakton- ... e=customer

DONATE

Head Coach Madison HS
$.01 First donation
UAO
$.02 Top donation
GreenEggs

Post by GreenEggs »

Anyone have a good place to get scores? Brutal for public school lax.
zonedef

Post by zonedef »

Patriot over Colgan 17 - 6 final, 8 - 4 at half. Colgan with a good young attackman. Colgan goalie with a bunch of saves. Patriot got scoring from all over.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”