VA Public School Lacrosse

HS Boys Lacrosse
Laxer77

Re: VA Public School Lacrosse

Post by Laxer77 »

AverageLaxFan72 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:54 pm Madison is for sure the real deal. Sorry to disappoint the Centreville homer that continues to hype them up on here, but that felt like I was watching a college team play a U-11 team. The weather, in fact, did not slow them down one bit. The scariest team in the state at this moment and have an easy win on their schedule later this week. Consider them the winners of the Concorde District by a landslide.
Madison is certainly a good team and playing well against weaker opponents, but they are by no means the scariest team in the state. They have three losses already and lost to Robinson by seven goals and Lake Braddock by 5 goals. Robinson's 118 goal differential after nine games is insane.
AverageLaxFan72

Post by AverageLaxFan72 »

Laxer77 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:51 am
AverageLaxFan72 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:54 pm Madison is for sure the real deal. Sorry to disappoint the Centreville homer that continues to hype them up on here, but that felt like I was watching a college team play a U-11 team. The weather, in fact, did not slow them down one bit. The scariest team in the state at this moment and have an easy win on their schedule later this week. Consider them the winners of the Concorde District by a landslide.
Madison is certainly a good team and playing well against weaker opponents, but they are by no means the scariest team in the state. They have three losses already and lost to Robinson by seven goals and Lake Braddock by 5 goals. Robinson's 118 goal differential after nine games is insane.
Not sure if you attended those flukey losses to Robinson and Lake Braddock, but to me it seemed Madison played the worst games of their season against the two. So many missed opportunities for the Warhawks in both games and should have been much closer score lines. Yes, they have lost to two other powerhouses, but the best thing about Madison is that their coaching is miles ahead of anyone else in the state. Maybe less talent on the field than some teams, but the adjustments they will make in the postseason is why they are solid pick for state champs. Need I mention how bad the refs were in both losses, it seemed as though the Warhawks lost to the refs and not Robo and Lake Braddock. Similar to D1 lacrosse last year, Robinson appears to be Maryland, Lake Braddock appears to be UNC and Madison... UVA.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

I would also guess that Battlefield and Patriot are not scared of a big win over Centerville. I think Oakton is down this year as well so another win does not necessarily prove much. I think Madison would be an underdog in the playoffs but still a very solid team.
NoVaLacrosse

Post by NoVaLacrosse »

AverageLaxFan72 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:04 pm
Not sure if you attended those flukey losses to Robinson and Lake Braddock, but to me it seemed Madison played the worst games of their season against the two. So many missed opportunities for the Warhawks in both games and should have been much closer score lines. Yes, they have lost to two other powerhouses, but the best thing about Madison is that their coaching is miles ahead of anyone else in the state. Maybe less talent on the field than some teams, but the adjustments they will make in the postseason is why they are solid pick for state champs. Need I mention how bad the refs were in both losses, it seemed as though the Warhawks lost to the refs and not Robo and Lake Braddock. Similar to D1 lacrosse last year, Robinson appears to be Maryland, Lake Braddock appears to be UNC and Madison... UVA.
LOL to all of this. Madison whoops up on some poor teams and all the sudden they are UVA, most dangerous team in the state and only lost to Robo and LB because of the refs. Sounds reasonable
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

Madison is ranked #20 on the DMV lacrosse rankings. This sounds about right. They are the 7th best public school team. You are what your record says you are until it doesn't.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Any idea why E.C. Glass High School is playing MacArthur HS from Long Island at 8PM tonight at Lynchburg College? Seems like a very random OOS matchup to only travel and play one game? I am assuming there is a coaching connection here. Nonetheless, these are the kind of OOS matchups that make HS Lacrosse so unique!

Joe
AverageLaxFan72

Post by AverageLaxFan72 »

NoVaLacrosse wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:45 pm
AverageLaxFan72 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:04 pm
LOL to all of this. Madison whoops up on some poor teams and all the sudden they are UVA, most dangerous team in the state and only lost to Robo and LB because of the refs. Sounds reasonable
I said that Madison played their worst games of the season against the two. The refs were pretty terrible in both games, not sure if you watched, but a few bad calls can ruin a game. I'm not saying it is all because of the refs, the Warhawks simply did not play their best. Similar to UVA, they played poorly at the beginning and towards the end are beginning to dominate. They have won their past 4 games by 10+. Yes these teams aren't exactly top tier but still very impressive performances. When you really look at it, how is it not a reasonable comparison big fella? The Warhawks are a force to be reckoned with and could surprise people similar to how UVA did. That's the fun about sports guy, you can make comparisons and predictions about teams that not everybody will agree with.
FXLax

Post by FXLax »

I’ll take Coach Curran and his crew any day of the week. The adjustments he made vs Chantilly in the 2015 championship game after Robinson was crushed by them in the regional finals were amazing. I know I’m living in the past but my kid graduated in 2015 (with 2 state championship rings). :D
since1986

Post by since1986 »

AverageLaxFan72 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:04 pm but the best thing about Madison is that their coaching is miles ahead of anyone else in the state
Please expand on this. To me you are just trying to incite with that comment, but if you truly believe that, please explain why you believe they are so much better than any other coaching staff. Adjustments?

I'm pretty sure Chantilly's HC has won 2 state titles and played in at least 5 state championship games. Robinson's staff has 3 titles and 5 appearances. Dominion's staff has a few titles as well. I guess Riverside is just talent?
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

since1986 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:56 pm
AverageLaxFan72 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:04 pm but the best thing about Madison is that their coaching is miles ahead of anyone else in the state
Please expand on this. To me you are just trying to incite with that comment, but if you truly believe that, please explain why you believe they are so much better than any other coaching staff. Adjustments?

I'm pretty sure Chantilly's HC has won 2 state titles and played in at least 5 state championship games. Robinson's staff has 3 titles and 5 appearances. Dominion's staff has a few titles as well. I guess Riverside is just talent?
No dog in this fight but I think that calling a stick check on a fogo in a state final is a gangster coaching move. I think that there are several strong coaches in NOVA that have been around for a while with good resume's. No need to debate who is leaps ahead of another. I do find it interesting to link coaching or team success with the strength of the youth programs. A couple of seasons ago I commented that Chantilly youth program did not seem as competitive as they had once been. I think that Chantilly and Oakton are not what they were in 2015. I think a HS program needs great support, coaching, and a good feeder program.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:50 pm [
No dog in this fight but I think that calling a stick check on a fogo in a state final is a gangster coaching move.
normally. when a timeout is called, and fogo is given the ball out of said timeout, that's something else. the breaks.
SpinalTap14

Post by SpinalTap14 »

SpinalTap14 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:03 pm After a spring break where many teams played 3 games in a row earlier in the week I expect many injuries are healing and teams are ready to make runs. Games this week:

4/18 - Madison vs Centreville - a game the day after Easter. Ouch. Warhawks 12-5 but keep an eye on the Wildcats and Coach Miller is building on the foundation left by Coach Jefferies.
4/18 - Oakton vs Westfield - Heard Oakton has had multiple injuries to key players. If they are now healthy, look for the Cougars over the Bulldogs 10-4.
4/19 - Yorktown vs Herndon - Many of Herndon’s losses have been relatively close. Pats 14-7.
4/19 - Lake Braddock vs Fairfax - Fairfax is rebuilding with a new coach. 17-3 Bruins.
4/19 - Woodson vs South County - SOCO is rebuilding and WTW has been up and down. X Factor is these teams hate each other. 10-6 Cavs but look for the Stallions to bring their A Game.
4/20 - Riverside at Gonzaga - ‘Zaga is 10-4 with lopsided losses to St. John’s, GT Prep and Bullis. Riverside needs to get off the bus and just play. 10-9 Riverside in a thriller.
4/21 - Battlefield vs Osbourn Park. Bobcats 15-4.

WEATHER ALERT - Monday (tomorrow) forecast calls for a hard cold rain all day and low 40s with steady rain at game times. SWEAT PANTS ADVISORY. Conditions could slow down the Warhawk offense and help C-ville.
Enjoy the games VA Public HS Lax Fans!
SpinalTap14

Post by SpinalTap14 »

Riverside 10 Gonzaga 9 (OT)
Laxer77

Post by Laxer77 »

Nice work - you called two games on the button. I know Gonzaga has a bunch of injuries but that still has to hurt the pride losing at home to a public school.
since1986

Post by since1986 »

SpinalTap14 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:06 am Riverside 10 Gonzaga 9 (OT)
That's a big W for public school lacrosse everywhere. Congrats to Riverside!
Tactful Lax

Post by Tactful Lax »

We may be seeing the turning of the tide in high school lacrosse in VA. Check out the number of Virginia public school players on the number one ranked CNU Captains. I think that's one big reason why they are now better than anybody in the odac. Coach Thompson recognized the talent in the Virginia public schools.

Post by 123 »

Congrats to Riverside! and thanks for pointing out the recruiting. VA public school players already suffer from a prolonged HS season which boxes players out from some early June recruiting events. Colleges continually miss out on amazing public school talent from this area. JMU won the girls D1 tournament a few years ago with a large number of Virginia public players that the top programs overlooked. Not sure the AD at private school laced UVA even cares about the women's program considering they should have prime access to any recruit in the country and they never win. Back to boys, Richmond took a chance on public school Dalton Young and that program is on the up. There is tremendous talent on the college club circuit from kids who never got the chance. I fully expect CNU to keep getting better with this recipe!
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

123 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:25 pm Congrats to Riverside! and thanks for pointing out the recruiting. VA public school players already suffer from a prolonged HS season which boxes players out from some early June recruiting events. Colleges continually miss out on amazing public school talent from this area. JMU won the girls D1 tournament a few years ago with a large number of Virginia public players that the top programs overlooked. Not sure the AD at private school laced UVA even cares about the women's program considering they should have prime access to any recruit in the country and they never win. Back to boys, Richmond took a chance on public school Dalton Young and that program is on the up. There is tremendous talent on the college club circuit from kids who never got the chance. I fully expect CNU to keep getting better with this recipe!
I am not sure I agree that N.VA Public school players get any more or less exposure than other areas. The current NOVA kids committed to programs get the exposure in the summer and fall through club programs. Dalton was on a really strong club team with public school teammates who also were recruited. I think coaches find these players and there has been several each season. Riverside has done well in this as well.
Crlaxy

Post by Crlaxy »

Un/fortunately if your HS team in VA makes into the final weekend you miss two of the best D1 recruiting events (LI and Philly) out there. And generally, the best clubs only play 4-5 summer tournaments a year. So basically those VA kids miss half of the best exposure. Plus all the practice time with their higher level peers.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

SpinalTap14 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:06 am Riverside 10 Gonzaga 9 (OT)
Nobody understands how huge this is. My son's 2008 St Mary's JV team went down and swept Battlefeild and Riverside "A lot to a little". The reach from Berthesda to Stafford County is unreal.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”