2022 Virginia Public GLAX

HS Girls Lacrosse
VALaxer

2022 Virginia Public GLAX

Post by VALaxer »

Figured with the calendar turned that it was time to start this thread up. Hopefully we will see our first "normal" full season since 2019. St James continues to have its winter league, the pre-season Valentines Shootout registration has opened (hard to believe is only a month away!), and I've noticed that some schools are starting to post lax schedules on their website and upcoming games are showing up in the NFHS listings. So let's go have a season.

Some new alignments in VA publics, a number of big name coaches gone and lots of new coaches in 6A, and the return of the 11 to 14 game schedule. What will this year bring? It all starts for real in only 2 months. Let the discussion begin.
JunkD

Re: 2022 Virginia Public GLAX

Post by JunkD »

There is an unexpected coaching opportunity at W-L. After four years, the HC left the program last week. No reason was given for the change. Hopefully a credible candidate can be found, as with decent leadership the team should be broadly competitive again.
VALaxer

Re: Coaching Merry-Go-Round

Post by VALaxer »

W-L coach jumped to Langley.

Looks like the story of the offseason is all of the head coaching changes in 6A publics in NoVa, (Not to mention number of ones on the private side as well). UAO had a thread in the 2021 forum, but by my count the list includes at least:

Langley
Woodson
W-L
So. Lakes
McLean
West Potomac
Fairfax
So. County
Freedom SR

I have heard rumors of some others, but I will let others chime in if they can confirm any more.
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

Valentines Shootout was this past Saturday. A number of top VA publics had teams there, along with some privates. A good chance to see teams one more time before things get real in the next couple of weeks. The weather was about the best there could be for outside lacrosse in VA in early Feb, with some spring-like temps. The lacrosse was pretty good too.

Teams in the Elite divisions were Dominion, St Johns College, St Stephens JV, Meridian, Madison, Independence, Yorktown, Atlee, Battlefield, West Springfield, South County and Justice. Dominion went 4-0 in their half of the division, with wins over Meridian, Madison, SJC and Independence to advance to the final. In the other division, West Springfield and Battlefield both went 4-0 in division play with wins over Yorktown, South County, Atlee and Justice, but Sparty advanced to the championship on a goals against tiebreaker.

In the championship game for the elite division, West Springfield, led by some strong goalie play and some clutch scoring (preventing any Titans runs), led most of the game and beat Dominion by 4 to take home the Elite title. Battlefield lost to SJC in the 2nd place game, while Atlee beat Independence in the 3rd place game. The publics generally represented themselves well overall. At 6A, in addition to the Westies and Battlefield, Yorktown, S. County and Justice all had some competitive games. Madison looked like they were missing a few pieces and were more up and down, but indoor tells me they should be fine in the Spring.

Hard to believe that scrimmages start in only a few weeks.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

VALaxer wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:17 pm Valentines Shootout was this past Saturday. A number of top VA publics had teams there, along with some privates. A good chance to see teams one more time before things get real in the next couple of weeks. The weather was about the best there could be for outside lacrosse in VA in early Feb, with some spring-like temps. The lacrosse was pretty good too.
No Robo? Woodson? Langley? Has this tourney dropped in importance?
BuckyLou

Post by BuckyLou »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:28 pm
VALaxer wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:17 pm Valentines Shootout was this past Saturday. A number of top VA publics had teams there, along with some privates. A good chance to see teams one more time before things get real in the next couple of weeks. The weather was about the best there could be for outside lacrosse in VA in early Feb, with some spring-like temps. The lacrosse was pretty good too.
No Robo? Woodson? Langley? Has this tourney dropped in importance?
I don't remember Langley having been there for the last several years my DDs have played. Woodson has only been sporadic as well I think. It's always been a good event and this year seemed bigger than most years that I remember. Nova lax seems to be growing. Maybe with the new coaching at those schools, they are slower in getting things together in the off-season? Reports were that Fall Ball was down as well, so it could be a post-pandemic thing.

Was surprised W. Springfield handled a very good Dominion team in the final. Both teams looked solid all day from what I saw and heard from others.
BuckyLou

Post by BuckyLou »

Looks like scrimmages are starting for most teams next week. :D What are people watching? Any particular ones stand out for people as ones to watch? Who do you think will be the top teams this year? Can we determine anything from scrimmages?
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

Some good scrimmages between top publics and publics-privates kicking things off this week and next:

Tuesday 3/1:
Bishop O'Connell @ Robinson

Wednesday 3/2:
Colonial Forge @ W. Springfield
Bishop O'Connell @ Oakton

Thursday 3/3:
Yorktown @ Woodson

Saturday 3/5:
Langley @ Potomac

Monday 3/7:
Robinson @ Riverside

Wednesday 3/9:
Riverside @ Battlefield
Dominion @ John Champe
West Potomac @ Madison
Paul VI @ Yorktown

Friday 3/11:
Oakton @ Flint Hill
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

VALaxer wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:05 pm Some good scrimmages between top publics and publics-privates kicking things off this week and next:

Tuesday 3/1:
Bishop O'Connell @ Robinson

Wednesday 3/2:
Colonial Forge @ W. Springfield
Bishop O'Connell @ Oakton

Thursday 3/3:
Yorktown @ Woodson

Saturday 3/5:
Langley @ Potomac

Monday 3/7:
Robinson @ Riverside

Wednesday 3/9:
Riverside @ Battlefield
Dominion @ John Champe
West Potomac @ Madison
Paul VI @ Yorktown

Friday 3/11:
Oakton @ Flint Hill
VALaxer...thanks for posting this. While I have no D in the game anymore, these matchups intrigue me...I'll have to get to a few...
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

Add one more to the list.

Monday, 3/7:

BI @ Dominion
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

VAMomGlax2019 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:40 pm Add one more to the list.

Monday, 3/7:

BI @ Dominion
now that will be a game to watch
BuckyLou

Post by BuckyLou »

VALaxer wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:05 pm Some good scrimmages between top publics and publics-privates kicking things off this week and next:

Tuesday 3/1:
Bishop O'Connell @ Robinson - Robo (-1)

Wednesday 3/2:
Colonial Forge @ W. Springfield - W. Springfield (-2)
Bishop O'Connell @ Oakton - Oakton (-1)

Thursday 3/3:
Yorktown @ Woodson - Woodson (-1.5)

Saturday 3/5:
Langley @ Potomac - Langley (-3)

Monday 3/7:
Robinson @ Riverside - Riverside (-4)
BI @ Dominion - BI (-4)

Wednesday 3/9:
Riverside @ Battlefield - Riverside (-4)
Dominion @ John Champe - Dominion (-5)
West Potomac @ Madison - Madison (-2)
Paul VI @ Yorktown - PVI (-3)

Friday 3/11:
Oakton @ Flint Hill - Flint Hill (-2)

My picks for winners (somewhat blind given that this is finally 12v12, we see how things shape up) and line for pure entertainment purposes (unless Caesars now allows girls HS to be bet)
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

It's like rolling the dice this early in the season with these scrimmages. Never know how coaches will play these games, how long starters will play, who is dealing with injuries, etc.

Looking at your list the one that stands out to me is BI at Dominion. I'd flip your prediction. Dominion (-4).
BuckyLou

Post by BuckyLou »

Scrimmage score I hear from last night:

Robinson 7 - Bishop O'Connell 4
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

BuckyLou wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:06 am Scrimmage score I hear from last night:

Robinson 7 - Bishop O'Connell 4
That doesn't surprise me
StackO

Post by StackO »

West Springfield beat Colonial Forge.
9-5 at half before floodgates opened.
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

StackO wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:14 am West Springfield beat Colonial Forge.
9-5 at half before floodgates opened.
Final ended up 23-6 is the report. :shock:
UnderArmourOdor

Re: Goalie Lottery...

Post by UnderArmourOdor »

I find this hard to believe but Lake Badluck is living up to its name. A sophomore JV goalie quit leaving the Bruins with one, One ONE Goalie in the entire program. Yikes, but the novel solution is to put all the JV players names in a hat pregame & draw a name for the opportunity to play in goal for that game. I was thinking someone is pulling ole UAO's leg but the VAR HC was not impressed with her club lax team & wanted her not to play club nor work with a goalie coach...seriously! The Sophomore may have been better than the Varsity keeper who has never played club!
[Music from the East]
Big Coach Ed: We are lucky to have that Mystic of Lacrosse, the Traveler of Game Fields, the Seer of Scoring, Poohbah of Postgame, that Great Grandstand Visitor, Laxinac the Magnificent! This is the first envelope of the season that you will divine the answer from. They have been hermetically sealed & kept in Head Ref Margaret's Yellow Flag Bag since last summer.
Laxinac: Sim Sala Bim, your bloatedness.
Ed: I hold in my hand the first envelope!
Laxinac: [holding envelope to his Lax helmet] “I hate my players playing club lacrosse!”
Ed: Hate playing club lax!
Laxinac: I said that [Looks at Ed] May a Holy Man curse your special Gait draw control stick [ripping envelope & pulling out card]
Ed: Ha, Ha, Ha!
Laxinac: [Reads card] “There goes the COY again!”
Ed: Hey OH!
Dr. Tact

Re: Goalie Lottery...

Post by Dr. Tact »

UnderArmourOdor wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:55 pm I find this hard to believe but Lake Badluck is living up to its name. A sophomore JV goalie quit leaving the Bruins with one, One ONE Goalie in the entire program. Yikes, but the novel solution is to put all the JV players names in a hat pregame & draw a name for the opportunity to play in goal for that game. I was thinking someone is pulling ole UAO's leg but the VAR HC was not impressed with her club lax team & wanted her not to play club nor work with a goalie coach...seriously! The Sophomore may have been better than the Varsity keeper who has never played club!
[Music from the East]
Big Coach Ed: We are lucky to have that Mystic of Lacrosse, the Traveler of Game Fields, the Seer of Scoring, Poohbah of Postgame, that Great Grandstand Visitor, Laxinac the Magnificent! This is the first envelope of the season that you will divine the answer from. They have been hermetically sealed & kept in Head Ref Margaret's Yellow Flag Bag since last summer.
Laxinac: Sim Sala Bim, your bloatedness.
Ed: I hold in my hand the first envelope!
Laxinac: [holding envelope to his Lax helmet] “I hate my players playing club lacrosse!”
Ed: Hate playing club lax!
Laxinac: I said that [Looks at Ed] May a Holy Man curse your special Gait draw control stick [ripping envelope & pulling out card]
Ed: Ha, Ha, Ha!
Laxinac: [Reads card] “There goes the COY again!”
Ed: Hey OH!
While I am not sure I understand all of the above (It's me not you)....good to see you pop up UAO. Not that there are no Ram lacrosse players in my house, I am surfing this occasionally. What does Laxinac think about the Fairfax County Publics this year? same old same old or something different?
BuckyLou

Re: A new #1?

Post by BuckyLou »

Based on the scrimmage reports I've heard, looks like it could be a least a little something different in Fairfax this year, as the Patriots of Yorktown came over to Woodson and got the new regime for the Cavs off to a bad start, with a 12-3 victory over the Cavaliers. It was only a scrimmage, but not sure any VA public has gone into Woodson and won by a score like that in a while. Could Yorktown finally be ready to challenge Langley not only for the District and Region, but also States? Are they now the team to beat?

Return to “HS GIRLS LACROSSE”