2021 Virginia Public GLAX

HS Girls Lacrosse
UnderArmourOdor

Re: First time...to the ole JEB!

Post by UnderArmourOdor »

I finally made it to Buford T. Justice High School to see the Sparty vs Sheriffs game on a great night for lax. It was a game of huge swings it was 3-2 in the first half when WS got a yellow card & the excellent Sheriff #7 went to goal but it was saved, quicked up to #23 & in the back of the net for a short-handed goal so instead of 3-3 it was 4-2 at the half. It got to 8-3 but BT Justice had no quit & got back to 9-6 before time ran out. We had delightful dogs from the Smokey & the Bandit Snack Bar but we were crushed as we really wanted a Diablo Sandwich & a Dr. Pepper. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN_Ir2gedvQ
VirginiaTerp

Northern Region (6D) Final set

Post by VirginiaTerp »

Langley 20 Madison (H) 13
Oakton (H) 14 Centreville 8

Langley hosts Oakton tomorrow for the Northern Region title and automatic bid to the State Class 6 bracket
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

UnderArmourOdor wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:51 pm I finally made it to Buford T. Justice High School to see the Sparty vs Sheriffs game on a great night for lax. It was a game of huge swings it was 3-2 in the first half when WS got a yellow card & the excellent Sheriff #7 went to goal but it was saved, quicked up to #23 & in the back of the net for a short-handed goal so instead of 3-3 it was 4-2 at the half. It got to 8-3 but BT Justice had no quit & got back to 9-6 before time ran out. We had delightful dogs from the Smokey & the Bandit Snack Bar but we were crushed as we really wanted a Diablo Sandwich & a Dr. Pepper. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN_Ir2gedvQ
So the question is whether you said the proper Buford T. Justice response when they told you they didn't have a Diablo Sandwich, or did you just reply with the PG version "Scum-bum" :?:
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

VALaxer wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:42 pm
UnderArmourOdor wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:51 pm I finally made it to Buford T. Justice High School to see the Sparty vs Sheriffs game on a great night for lax. It was a game of huge swings it was 3-2 in the first half when WS got a yellow card & the excellent Sheriff #7 went to goal but it was saved, quicked up to #23 & in the back of the net for a short-handed goal so instead of 3-3 it was 4-2 at the half. It got to 8-3 but BT Justice had no quit & got back to 9-6 before time ran out. We had delightful dogs from the Smokey & the Bandit Snack Bar but we were crushed as we really wanted a Diablo Sandwich & a Dr. Pepper. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN_Ir2gedvQ
So the question is whether you said the proper Buford T. Justice response when they told you they didn't have a Diablo Sandwich, or did you just reply with the PG version "Scum-bum" :?:
:lol: :lol:
Dr. Tact

Re: Northern Region (6D) Final set

Post by Dr. Tact »

VirginiaTerp wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:43 am Langley 20 Madison (H) 13
Oakton (H) 14 Centreville 8

Langley hosts Oakton tomorrow for the Northern Region title and automatic bid to the State Class 6 bracket
book it
Dr. Tact

Woodson/West Spring

Post by Dr. Tact »

Game of the playoffs....I expect a 1-2 goal game, but not sure who comes out on top....10% chance Woodson wins by 6+
nomoneyinlax

Post by nomoneyinlax »

VALaxer wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:42 pm
and a Dr. Pepper. Make it quick, I'm in hot pursuit!
VALaxer

Re: An offensive shootout and a defensive battle

Post by VALaxer »

Occoquan Regional semi-finals scores from last night...

Robinson (H) 20 - Falls Church 10
Woodson 7 - West Springfield (H) 3

Woodson at Robinson @ 3:00 p.m. Saturday for the Regional title.

Congrats to all four teams on great seasons...
UnderArmourOdor

Re: Semi-Final Thursday...

I was in hot pursuit, first to the Goat Yard as the Rams welcomed the Falls Church Jaguars. It seemed like it was going to be over quickly as the Jag defender was giving up 8 inches & 40 pounds to the Rams #10 who was just blowing by her for 4 of the first 8 Robo goals. The Jags came in with confidence having crushed the Lake Badluck Bruins 21-12 (I got a PM that I had erroneously made it sound like only men were good coaches for the Bruins, I apologize to Coach Debbie (mind like a sieve on her last name) who played at Delaware & who always had competitive teams) & I thought the late arriving FC parents had missed the game as it was 4-0 when many walked into the stadium. Maybe the Jags weren't ready for showtime at Robo but the Jags had some fight in them as they played hard at least making it a game at 6-4 causing Coach Prosser to take a Robo TO which had positive results in a Rams run going to 9-4. The Jags did claw back on their good middies making it 11-7 at the half. Robo took it off them late in the 2nd half & it ended 20-10. Only mistake was not grabbing an extra Goat Tube Steak for the road. Meanwhile three & a half miles away, the rubber match at Sparty Stadium was underway with the WTW Cavs. It was "hammer & tongs" in the first half with Cavs scoring first but then two from Sparty & it was like that until halftime with defenses ruling the day 3-3. Coach Puhlick asked the defense to pick up the pressure while Coach Lewis asked the Senior-led Attack to get some shots on cage so the second half escalated to "nail guns & chainsaws" with two teams who don't like each other for the Cavs running the clock on WS on their first visit & Sparty winning at "The Pat" by a goal in the district playoffs. After the game was stopped at "The Pat" by the referees to get the West Springfield Faithful under control you knew it was going to be loud. The WTW Administrators were sitting on the visitor’s side crowds inputs. I'm sure there was an WS Administrator in the stadium but wasn't available to control the student section behind the Cavs bench. One Cav reserve said after the game a "I like your thighs" was one of the nicest comments from those guys. The officials came into far more scorn as the Yellow Card count began to rise in the 2nd half but what was worse for Sparty was that the Cavs Senior keeper shut the door with five or six big saves. The Cavs got three goals quickly & the home fans began cheering the cards as they got three of those in short order losing an outstanding middie. The unlucky Seventh YC was on the Sparty goalie for a full-blooded cross check at the X. WS had no other keeper dressed (the Cavs had a Sophomore & two Frosh they could lend out...oh wait schools over so they are now a Junior & two Sophomores) so she remained in goal with four defenders as the Cavs ran out the clock. That was a three-game series that had everything, big-time coaches plotting, big goalie performances, suffocating defenses, passionate fans, everything except a halftime Sparty Sausage on Thursday Night as the Snack Bar was closed...only bummer!
SpartyLax

Re: Semi-Final Thursday...

Post by SpartyLax »

UnderArmourOdor wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:59 pm I was in hot pursuit, first to the Goat Yard as the Rams welcomed the Falls Church Jaguars. It seemed like it was going to be over quickly as the Jag defender was giving up 8 inches & 40 pounds to the Rams #10 who was just blowing by her for 4 of the first 8 Robo goals. The Jags came in with confidence having crushed the Lake Badluck Bruins 21-12 (I got a PM that I had erroneously made it sound like only men were good coaches for the Bruins, I apologize to Coach Debbie (mind like a sieve on her last name) who played at Delaware & who always had competitive teams) & I thought the late arriving FC parents had missed the game as it was 4-0 when many walked into the stadium. Maybe the Jags weren't ready for showtime at Robo but the Jags had some fight in them as they played hard at least making it a game at 6-4 causing Coach Prosser to take a Robo TO which had positive results in a Rams run going to 9-4. The Jags did claw back on their good middies making it 11-7 at the half. Robo took it off them late in the 2nd half & it ended 20-10. Only mistake was not grabbing an extra Goat Tube Steak for the road. Meanwhile three & a half miles away, the rubber match at Sparty Stadium was underway with the WTW Cavs. It was "hammer & tongs" in the first half with Cavs scoring first but then two from Sparty & it was like that until halftime with defenses ruling the day 3-3. Coach Puhlick asked the defense to pick up the pressure while Coach Lewis asked the Senior-led Attack to get some shots on cage so the second half escalated to "nail guns & chainsaws" with two teams who don't like each other for the Cavs running the clock on WS on their first visit & Sparty winning at "The Pat" by a goal in the district playoffs. After the game was stopped at "The Pat" by the referees to get the West Springfield Faithful under control you knew it was going to be loud. The WTW Administrators were sitting on the visitor’s side crowds inputs. I'm sure there was an WS Administrator in the stadium but wasn't available to control the student section behind the Cavs bench. One Cav reserve said after the game a "I like your thighs" was one of the nicest comments from those guys. The officials came into far more scorn as the Yellow Card count began to rise in the 2nd half but what was worse for Sparty was that the Cavs Senior keeper shut the door with five or six big saves. The Cavs got three goals quickly & the home fans began cheering the cards as they got three of those in short order losing an outstanding middie. The unlucky Seventh YC was on the Sparty goalie for a full-blooded cross check at the X. WS had no other keeper dressed (the Cavs had a Sophomore & two Frosh they could lend out...oh wait schools over so they are now a Junior & two Sophomores) so she remained in goal with four defenders as the Cavs ran out the clock. That was a three-game series that had everything, big-time coaches plotting, big goalie performances, suffocating defenses, passionate fans, everything except a halftime Sparty Sausage on Thursday Night as the Snack Bar was closed...only bummer!
WTW took a early 1-0 lead in the first 30 seconds. WS bounced back with a 3-1 lead before WTW got it to 3-3 at half. WTW held ball for most of the first half. WS got a dangerous propulsion, a very very questionable one, yellow card a little way into the second half in which WTW scored 3 goals during those 2 minutes. WTW goalie had another lights out night and congrats to both teams for great seasons and good luck to WTW as they take on the undefeated Rams today
VALaxer

Re: Final Four

Post by VALaxer »

Congratulations to the first 3 of the Final Four for Class 6--

Region A - Cosby (H) 20 - James River 6

Region B - Colonial Forge 14 - Battlefield (H) 8

Region D - Langley (H) 18 - Oakton 11

Region C to be decided at 3:00 p.m. today as the Cavs play the Rams at Robinson.
Dr. Tact

Cavs

Post by Dr. Tact »

Congrats to the cavaliers on advancing to States :D
UnderArmourOdor

Re: An Instant Classic...

Voltaire not Napoleon said "God is on the side not of the heavy battalions but of the best shots." Well two big squads met at the Goat Yard with 27 on the home squad & Cavs bringing in 37 with their 7 call-ups & there was some good shooting on both sides. It was a masters course in coaching as both coaches threw in wrinkles at the start that stymied the offenses of the other & then adjusted on the fly as each deployed their counter moves. The Rams opened with goals from their big three Cherry, Kluegel & Hill with a Alsup, SR Cav response to make it 3-1. Cavs got a goal from Frosh Lennon before Rams Seniors Owen & McGowan scored quickly to make it 5-2 before the Cavs Torgerson closed the half with a goal 5-3. Both Ruiz for the Rams & Gross for the Cavs had some standout saves to keep the score so low. Two key Seniors Kluegel & WTW's Brown traded great shots to start the second half 6-4. Coach Lewis pierced the Ram Zone with his Cav SR Friedman as she just caught fire & had a natural hat-trick to push the Cavs in front 7-6. Coach Prosser countered the Cavs shackling Hill with some plays to Ram Senior Charland & Owen who each had pretty cuts to each tally 8-7. Friedman got a forth at 8-8. Rams went to their big-time player Kluegel to go ahead but Cavs answered by running in Brown from the box & her burst across the arc made it 9-9. Not a game for the faint of heart as Torgerson got her 2nd in a FPS amonst a host of Rams. Gross has to come out of goal & Sine the Sophomore steps in to save Hill's FPS but Kluegel pounces on the rebound & makes a great shot to 10-10. Gross reenters & Cavs have the ball last working it down to 30 seconds before drawing a FPS for their Frosh Cuviello. This was a SR game & Ruiz makes another highlight free position save & blunts the Cavs last attempt as the clock runs out. OT - Cavs win the draw & take a TO. As I said this was a SR game so Brown starts with the ball & streaks down the visitors sideline goes through the X before doubling back & feeds her SR running mate Alsup who dodges two checks before sticking it inside the right pipe. 21 goals scored & I may have missed one but I have one Frosh, one Soph & one JR tallying & all the other 18 from Seniors from both squads who left it all on the field today.
A quiz on what you think the Rams Coach said postgame this year (versus 2017) A) "Great game girls, good luck against Langley!" or B) "The Woodson Head Coach paid the referees!" ?
Last edited by UnderArmourOdor on Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Tact

Re: An Instant Classic...

Post by Dr. Tact »

UnderArmourOdor wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:58 am Voltaire not Napoleon said "God is on the side not of the heavy battalions but of the best shots." Well two big squads met at the Goat Yard with 27 on the home squad & Cavs bringing in 37 with their 7 call-ups & there was some good shooting on both sides. It was a masters course in coaching as both coaches threw in wrinkles at the start that stymied the offenses of the other & then adjusted on the fly as each deployed their counter moves. The Rams opened with goals from their big three Cherry, Kluegel & Hill with a Alsup, SR Cav response to make it 3-1. Cavs got a goal from Frosh Lennon before Rams Seniors Owen & McGowan scored quickly to make it 5-2 before the Cavs Torgerson closed the half with a goal 5-3. Both Ruiz for the Rams & Gross for the Cavs had some standout saves to keep the score so low. Two key Seniors Kluegel & WTW's Brown traded great shots to start the second half 6-4. Coach Lewis pierced the Ram Zone with his Cav SR Friedman as she just caught fire & had a natural hat-trick to push the Cavs in front 7-6. Coach Prosser countered the Cavs shakling Hill with some plays to Ram Senior Charland & Owen who each had pretty cuts to each tally 8-7. Friedman got a forth at 8-8. Rams went to their big-time player Kluegel to go ahead but Cavs answered by running in Brown from the box & her burst across the arc made it 9-9. Not a game for the faint of heart as Torgerson got her 2nd in a FPS amonst a host of Rams. Gross has to come out of goal & Sine the Sophomore steps in to save Hill's FPS but Kluegel pounces on the rebound & makes a great shot to 10-10. Gross reenters & Cavs have the ball last working it down to 30 seconds before drawing a FPS for their Frosh Cuviello. This was a SR game & Ruiz makes another highlight free position save & blunts the Cavs last attempt as the clock runs out. OT - Cavs win the draw & take a TO. As I said this was a SR game so Brown starts with the ball & streaks down the visitors sideline goes through the X before doubling back & feeds her SR runningmate Alsup who dodges two checks before sticking it inside the right pipe. 21 goals scored & I may have missed one but I have one Frosh, one Soph & one JR tallying & all the other 18 from Seniors from both squads who left it all on the field today.
A quiz on what you think the Rams Coach said postgame this year (versus 2017) A) "Great game girls, good luck against Langley!" or B) "The Woodson Head Coach paid the referees!" ?
The end of 8 years of daughters playing GLAX at Robo....I truly enjoyed all the wins and the losses. Losses really teach you about yourself as a player, a parent and a fan. It will be weird not having a D playing GLAX, but both Big sister and Little sister will be playing next year and little sister for the following 3. Bill, I will miss seeing you coaching Fall/winter. Keep up the good work! Go Cavaliers!!!Beat Langley!!!

I'll end (really?) my run in the 2021 Virginia Public GLAX forum with the message I sent my D after the OT loss yesterday.

“Oh the places you'll go! There is fun to be done! There are points to be scored. There are games to be won. And the magical things you can do with that ball will make you the winning-est winner of all.”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, The Places You’ll Go!

Her GLAX career is done, but she is on to WLAX and I cant wait to see what she can do.
FXLax

Re: 2021 Virginia Public GLAX

Post by FXLax »

I went to the Robinson/Woodson game Saturday and left scratching my head about some of the rules. My son played in high school and college so I’m much more familiar with the guys game, but there were severalplays where a player was cutting through the “box”, caught a pass, was running away from the goal and was hit by a defender. She was not shooting and the only way she could have even taken a shot would have been some wild behind the back shot. And she was awarded a free shot on goal. What’s with that? It seemed the reward for the penalty was very disproportionate to the penalty. There was another play where a girl was cutting to the goal, never even caught the ball and was hit and she was given a free shot on goal. Just seems like a weird rule. In hockey, men’s lacrosse you commit a penalty you sit for a power play. In basketball you only shoot free throws if you’re in the act of shooting. I assume they’re trying to minimize rough contact?
Dr. Tact

OK. so maybe a bit premature with the last post stuff....

Post by Dr. Tact »

2021 Occoquan Region (6A) awards:

POY Riley Sturtevant (WS)

1st Team:

Devin Alsup - A (WTW)
Campbell Brown - A (WTW)
Holly Hill - A (ROB)
Makena Jordan - A (FFX)
Lillian Martindale - A (ANN)

Katherine Friedman - M (WTW)
Zoe Kluegel - M (ROB)
River Rupert - M (JUS)
Brooke Hothem - M (JUS)
Riley Sturtevant - M (WS)

Hannah Judkiewcz - D (WS)
Tate Lewis - D (ROB)
Carson Quigley - D (SC)
Gracyn Roth - D (ROB)
Lauren Faulkner - D (WTW)

Kelley Gross - G (WTW)

2nd Team:

Laila Omar - A (FC)
Lauren Dalrymple - A (WS)
Christine Duong - A (FC)
Shannon Para - A (WP)
Jordan Salisbury - A (SC)

Mia Federovich - M (FC)
Sydney Wilmes - M (ANN)
Devon Cherry - M (ROB)
Caroline Eby - M (WP)
Sophia McCullers - M (LB)

Holly Martindale - D (ANN)
Celia Kelaher - D (JUS)
Katie Sponaugle - D (JUS)
Sadie Laughlin - D (FC)
Juliette Fore - D (WP)

Emily Martindale - G (ANN)
Kate Ruiz - G (ROB)

Hon. Mention:

Anna Rigby - A (TCW)
Kate Holley - A (TCW)
Ava Nasse - A (ED)

Audrey Barnes - M (ANN)
Charlotte Uehling - M (HAY)

Julia Lundgren - D (TCW)
Valeria Saleo - D (HAY)
Sydney Lowe - D (HAY)
Tess Lundgren - D (TCW)

Katherine Camacho - G (JUS)
UnderArmourOdor

Re Doc say it ain't so...

Dr. Tact wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:37 pm The end of 8 years of daughters playing GLAX at Robo....I truly enjoyed all the wins and the losses. Losses really teach you about yourself as a player, a parent and a fan. It will be weird not having a D playing GLAX, but both Big sister and Little sister will be playing next year and little sister for the following 3. Bill, I will miss seeing you coaching Fall/winter. Keep up the good work! Go Cavaliers!!!Beat Langley!!!

I'll end (really?) my run in the 2021 Virginia Public GLAX forum with the message I sent my D after the OT loss yesterday.

“Oh the places you'll go! There is fun to be done! There are points to be scored. There are games to be won. And the magical things you can do with that ball will make you the winning-est winner of all.”
― Dr. Seuss, Oh, The Places You’ll Go!

Her GLAX career is done, but she is on to WLAX and I cant wait to see what she can do.
I know you will have your interest on the college game & being on the road even more but hoepfully you will still drop into the HS thread & enlighten all of us when you have time!
UnderArmourOdor

Re: Just Too Good...

Saxons came out on fire & ended it before I could answer all the texts as to why the NFHS Network wasn't working which was due to 1) State Tourney blocking; 2) Sun spots; 3) a hacker held the signal for ransom; 4) signal was rerouted by a giant Tech Conglomerate owned by a D&D Holdings to a site somewhere roughly near the Potomac River between MD & VA & one on the Upper Eastside in NYC; 4) alien UFO...oops I mean Unidentified Aerial Phenomena interference or 5) a lightening strick on the highest Press Box in NoVA. People were still filing in & it was 7-0 before finally the Cavaliers shooters managed to find the range. So the Cavs finally got 2 back but the Saxons slammed the door getting two more in the last two minutes & it was 9-2 at the half. The Cavs used two keepers in the 2nd half to at least stop the bleeding but neither was as dialed in as the Langley keeper all night. The clock ran in the second half & that at least spurred the Cavs to play their best lacrosse stopping it as it ended 14-5. Saxons are solid everywhere & just had a jump that the Cavs didn't after playing 5 games in 9 days. Had the ultra "A" crew calling the game & they let them play as the YCs were all well-deserved head shots.
Dr. Tact

Re: Just Too Good...

Post by Dr. Tact »

UnderArmourOdor wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:22 pm Saxons came out on fire & ended it before I could answer all the texts as to why the NFHS Network wasn't working which was due to 1) State Tourney blocking; 2) Sun spots; 3) a hacker held the signal for ransom; 4) signal was rerouted by a giant Tech Conglomerate owned by a D&D Holdings to a site somewhere roughly near the Potomac River between MD & VA & one on the Upper Eastside in NYC; 4) alien UFO...oops I mean Unidentified Aerial Phenomena interference or 5) a lightening strick on the highest Press Box in NoVA. People were still filing in & it was 7-0 before finally the Cavaliers shooters managed to find the range. So the Cavs finally got 2 back but the Saxons slammed the door getting two more in the last two minutes & it was 9-2 at the half. The Cavs used two keepers in the 2nd half to at least stop the bleeding but neither was as dialed in as the Langley keeper all night. The clock ran in the second half & that at least spurred the Cavs to play their best lacrosse stopping it as it ended 14-5. Saxons are solid everywhere & just had a jump that the Cavs didn't after playing 5 games in 9 days. Had the ultra "A" crew calling the game & they let them play as the YCs were all well-deserved head shots.
Well, we all knew what was going to be result this year...Bucky blessed with a 2017-2019 Case-like roster. Too good to be beaten on most days.

Laxons will get another ring. Good on em....
nomoneyinlax

Competitive State Finals?

Post by nomoneyinlax »

Are any of the 4A, 5A, or 6A state finals expected to be competitive?

I mainly follow 6A and short of Langley getting lost on the way to the final, that one looks really lopsided.

Do Dominion or R'side roll as well?

Return to “HS GIRLS LACROSSE”