2021 Virginia Public GLAX

HS Girls Lacrosse
VALaxer

2021 Virginia Public GLAX

Post by VALaxer »

With the new year here, thought it would be time to open this forum as we all try to forget 2020. :idea: Winter indoor at the St James and the McLean Box league is going on and public schools are playing, so hope is high that a spring season can be had. Winter sports are underway. The pre-season Shamrock Shootout (formerly the Valentine Shootout) has registration open for teams and the new 9-game spring GLAX regular season schedule is likely being worked on by athletic directors and coaches. So we can use this forum to discuss the upcoming season. Two years (save two scrimmages last year for some) since we have seen teams have at it. Freshmen from 2019 are now the Jrs on their squads :!: Plus new coaches on the sideline for at least a couple of the top level 6A teams. What will the new year bring :?:
ckstevenson

Re: 2021 Virginia Public GLAX

Post by ckstevenson »

Winter sports are going, all things considered, rather well. Unofficially from my observations the Freshman/woman and JV games seem more likely to be delayed or cancelled than Varsity. Not sure exactly why, usually no reason for the delay/cancellation is given, so I'm not sure if it is due to logistics or COVID or what.

FCPS is going to push back in-school instruction till first week of February, but in an interesting twist the VHSL is saying that limited fans are now allowed to attend winter sports (not swimming for my HS, but that might be due to the pool we use). 2 fans per athlete, and the fall outdoor sports (FOOTBALL) will be allowed a max of 250 spectators.

I have not heard/seen any dates on when spring sports are allowed to start any type of practice, including conditioning only. My understanding is spring sports will be required do have at least two non-equipment based practices before they can progress to using equipment (Phase 1 practice? I don't recall the term). The intent was to make sure two practices are used for logistics of keeping athletes in smaller groups, etc. I think once you get to "real" practices it still might be limited to groups of 10. Not sure what strategies coaches will use for that. Split by graduation year so you're with peers? Split to Offense, Defense, etc? Have balanced mixes?

Also to note - while technically true that as official public school teams they haven't played in a year, even a few players from the least lacrosse traditional public schools have been doing some level of McLean box or St James etc.

Sticking to girls, obviously the programs with the most club players will be best prepared (which is standard, IMO). I don't know much about the girls play at St James, but on the boys side it seems that those schools who have a team in the Fierce Nation league will have a leg up on preparation and cohesion as a team.

Absolutely and totally mundane, lowest of low level "silver lining" has been games being streamed online. I really hope that continues.
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

Lacrosse schedules for the Spring are now popping up on a number of schools' athletic websites. Publics will have a 9 game regular season with games starting the week of April 26th. Eveyone plays their District opponents and then only a handful outside of the district. District Tournament starts June 7th, Regionals on June 14th. Official tryouts/practice/activities start on April 12th. :D
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

VALaxer wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:05 am Lacrosse schedules for the Spring are now popping up on a number of schools' athletic websites. Publics will have a 9 game regular season with games starting the week of April 26th. Eveyone plays their District opponents and then only a handful outside of the district. District Tournament starts June 7th, Regionals on June 14th. Official tryouts/practice/activities start on April 12th. :D
Thanks VAL
StackO

Post by StackO »

Coached a high school team in the Saint James league over the past few months at the public level I think you might see some big surprises this year.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

StackO wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:15 am Coached a high school team in the Saint James league over the past few months at the public level I think you might see some big surprises this year.
care to share?
StackO

Post by StackO »

Let me say this so I don’t make anybody mad the the FX big dogs are still the big dogs but then you get into the second tier Fairfax teams that are always competitive. There are Loudoun teams now competing in six A and some PW teams that are consistently beating second tier teams and are now pushing on some of the big dogs. 7v7 isn’t a true sample but the talented players stood out. So it’s been a year without public school lax. The teams that are playing together right now and over the last 3-4 months in box and at St James are going to have a huge advantage.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

StackO wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:59 am Let me say this so I don’t make anybody mad the the FX big dogs are still the big dogs but then you get into the second tier Fairfax teams that are always competitive. There are Loudoun teams now competing in six A and some PW teams that are consistently beating second tier teams and are now pushing on some of the big dogs. 7v7 isn’t a true sample but the talented players stood out. So it’s been a year without public school lax. The teams that are playing together right now and over the last 3-4 months in box and at St James are going to have a huge advantage.
I would say that for the last two years the best team in the state is likely not a FX big dog and maybe not 6A. Just from my eyetests.
StackO

Post by StackO »

And I would agree with you.
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

Having watched some of the fall/winter leagues, I agree that overall gap is narrowed between top tier teams and some of the others. At this point, between box, indoor, fall brawl, March ball, Shamrock Shootout, ect, most of team teams should have been playing together at some degree in the 20/21 school year before the season. What I've seen so far is the the pool of who can beat who is larger, especially in 6A and the gap has narrowed on the usual suspects. In 6A, there may be 6-8 teams that have a shot at winning it all this year, and more are capable of pulling upsets, especially with the COVID tournament that will only take 1 per region to states. Much more of a one and done tournament.

I also agree that a few of the better teams of the VA publics are not in 6A, but I don't think those other levels have the overall depth of 6A and are top heavy. It's too bad that the limited schedule will cut down on more crossover games.
ckstevenson

Post by ckstevenson »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:16 am
StackO wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:59 am Let me say this so I don’t make anybody mad the the FX big dogs are still the big dogs but then you get into the second tier Fairfax teams that are always competitive. There are Loudoun teams now competing in six A and some PW teams that are consistently beating second tier teams and are now pushing on some of the big dogs. 7v7 isn’t a true sample but the talented players stood out. So it’s been a year without public school lax. The teams that are playing together right now and over the last 3-4 months in box and at St James are going to have a huge advantage.
I would say that for the last two years the best team in the state is likely not a FX big dog and maybe not 6A. Just from my eyetests.
I don't think saying something positive about a school, or several, is a negative to others. So, is it ok to just say which school/s you are saying is perhaps the best?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

ckstevenson wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:48 am
I don't think saying something positive about a school, or several, is a negative to others. So, is it ok to just say which school/s you are saying is perhaps the best?
I'll give you two.....Riverside and Dominion (in no order)
Wg_olyr

Post by Wg_olyr »

Those are two good teams, and too bad that the Riverside team has moved up to 5A. Just want to throw out there that Freedom is going for a 3-peat, and while they lost some good players, they have some very strong 9th graders. Don't sleep on them. No one ever picks them to win, and here they are going for something that Woodgrove did a few years ago.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Wg_olyr wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:03 am Just want to throw out there that Freedom is going for a 3-peat, ...going for something that Woodgrove did a few years ago.
And, um, Robinson ;-)
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

Dominion, Riverside and Freedom were the 3 non-6A I was thinking of. Everybody has had some changes so it's hard to sort everyone out 12 v 12, but those 3 can compete with anyone in the state. At 6A, there are probably 6-8 teams that are all in that range. If you've watched the various out of season leagues, all have been competitve with each or beat each other 6 v 6 or 7 v7. 12 v 12 will be interesting, especially with no draws this year which means defense and goaltending are more likely to generate possessions. :geek:
StackO

Post by StackO »

Good point on possessions.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

VALaxer wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:42 am Dominion, Riverside and Freedom were the 3 non-6A I was thinking of. Everybody has had some changes so it's hard to sort everyone out 12 v 12, but those 3 can compete with anyone in the state. At 6A, there are probably 6-8 teams that are all in that range. If you've watched the various out of season leagues, all have been competitve with each or beat each other 6 v 6 or 7 v7. 12 v 12 will be interesting, especially with no draws this year which means defense and goaltending are more likely to generate possessions. :geek:
I'm guessing there are 4 6A teams that could play with those teams
totc

Post by totc »

Correct me if I'm wrong: the Virginia Beach public schools are still club teams?
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

totc wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:30 pm Correct me if I'm wrong: the Virginia Beach public schools are still club teams?
That is correct, at least as of last summer. There have been proposals to change it for a few years, but believe they've rejected efforts to change it at least through 2021. Last I heard about it was last summer though, so it could have changed.
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

Sounds like, at least for Fairfax County schools, VA Public games will be broadcast on the NFHS Network this year as all HS stadiums have supposedly been fitted for video and the county has signed up for it. So if there is not Chik-fil-a at the game, you can order in and enjoy some HS lacrossse while eating CFA this year. :D

Return to “HS GIRLS LACROSSE”