Holly Wehrlen W.T. Woodson Junior
Katie Williams W.T. Woodson Senior
Goalie
Paige Ellis Robinson Junior
Caroline Fines Fairfax Senior
VALaxer

Re: Competitive State Finals?

Post by VALaxer »

nomoneyinlax wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:41 pm Are any of the 4A, 5A, or 6A state finals expected to be competitive?

I mainly follow 6A and short of Langley getting lost on the way to the final, that one looks really lopsided.

Do Dominion or R'side roll as well?
All of them were more competitive than probably expected. :idea:

Colonial Forge hung around early, with Langley only holding a 6-3 lead midway through the first half before Langley turned it on to pull away for a 17-6 win. Congrats to Bucky and the Saxons on "repeating" the hard way.

In Class 4, Dominion had a battle and trailed at half time, 8-5, until they too turned it on for a much closer than expected 14-10 win. Congrats to the Titans on the "repeat" the hard way as well.

Class 5 reminded us why they play the games and that there is some good lacrosse outside of Northern Virginia, as Douglas Freeman shocked the world (okay, maybe just the Commonwealth) by beating Riverside 18-16, erasing a Ram 3-goal lead in the first half to tie it at 8 at the intermission, and then taking advantage of free positions and draws in the 2nd half, while riding 7 goals in the game from their senior Duke commit, to edge ahead and hold on. Congrats to the Mavericks on their first title.
totc

Post by totc »

Virginia wasn't alone in having less-than-optimal state championships. Many state tourney finals were pretty awful (see: Colorado). You did see great matchups when neighborhood rivals met up with each other in the prelims, however.
VALaxer

Re: 2021 Virginia Public GLAX

Post by VALaxer »

Anyone know if All-State teams are going to be named this year? Haven't seen anything on them yet.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

VALaxer wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:20 pm Anyone know if All-State teams are going to be named this year? Haven't seen anything on them yet.
Yeah me too. They used to be announced at the state final
Lax89

Post by Lax89 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:03 pm
VALaxer wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:20 pm Anyone know if All-State teams are going to be named this year? Haven't seen anything on them yet.
No All-State teams this year. I assume they will be back next season.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Lax89 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:09 pm
well that's dumb. Why have regional teams then? USL did do AAs this year.
Lax89

Post by Lax89 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:16 am
All-State is a VHSL thing? I have no idea. I was just enjoying a kinda good season this year. :D
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

VALaxer wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:37 am
nomoneyinlax wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:41 pm Are any of the 4A, 5A, or 6A state finals expected to be competitive?

I mainly follow 6A and short of Langley getting lost on the way to the final, that one looks really lopsided.

Do Dominion or R'side roll as well?
All of them were more competitive than probably expected. :idea:

Colonial Forge hung around early, with Langley only holding a 6-3 lead midway through the first half before Langley turned it on to pull away for a 17-6 win. Congrats to Bucky and the Saxons on "repeating" the hard way.

In Class 4, Dominion had a battle and trailed at half time, 8-5, until they too turned it on for a much closer than expected 14-10 win. Congrats to the Titans on the "repeat" the hard way as well.

Class 5 reminded us why they play the games and that there is some good lacrosse outside of Northern Virginia, as Douglas Freeman shocked the world (okay, maybe just the Commonwealth) by beating Riverside 18-16, erasing a Ram 3-goal lead in the first half to tie it at 8 at the intermission, and then taking advantage of free positions and draws in the 2nd half, while riding 7 goals in the game from their senior Duke commit, to edge ahead and hold on. Congrats to the Mavericks on their first title.
I would not go as far as saying the Freeman win was shocking the world. Freeman deserves more credit than this and had been building up to this moment. They beat a good Atlee team to make the championship game. Riverside was a fairly young team, including a freshman goalie. They played really well and had the momentum early. The Duke commit played a great game. Her senior leadership kept Freeman in the game and in the end was too much for the younger Riverside middies to keep up with. Both teams had young players that stood out. Players to keep an eye on inlcuded #18 and #7 from Freeman. #27 on Riverside is a solid all around player. #15 for Riverside has a wicked college level shot. All stood out to me with their games. Physically all of these players look ready for the next level. As a lacrosse fan it was a fun game to watch.
UnderArmourOdor

Re: Coaching Shake-ups...

Post by UnderArmourOdor »

Tough to gauge the Patriot Coaching next year:
1) Stability at Robo & Sparty with the Co-Coaches of the Year, Tim Prosser (Robinson) & Brian Puhlick (West Springfield), the Deans of the District.
2) Big News: Coach Lewis departed after 5 years with the Cavs at WTW with Mike Schneider fleeting up to take the Head Coaching job.
3) Did Coach Conklin jump from SoCo's HC to lead the Rebels at Fairfax next year?
Should be an interesting year...[Moderator: UAO aren't you forgetting something?
4) Oh yeah, will Lizzy Swenson as the primary assistnat at SoCo fleet up to take the HC position there? [Mod: UAO, there is another team!
5) Sorry, Lake Badluck will continue to have a team.
VALaxer

Re: Coaching Shake-ups...

Post by VALaxer »

UnderArmourOdor wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:30 pm Tough to gauge the Patriot Coaching next year:
1) Stability at Robo & Sparty with the Co-Coaches of the Year, Tim Prosser (Robinson) & Brian Puhlick (West Springfield), the Deans of the District.
2) Big News: Coach Lewis departed after 5 years with the Cavs at WTW with Mike Schneider fleeting up to take the Head Coaching job.
3) Did Coach Conklin jump from SoCo's HC to lead the Rebels at Fairfax next year?
Should be an interesting year...[Moderator: UAO aren't you forgetting something?
4) Oh yeah, will Lizzy Swenson as the primary assistnat at SoCo fleet up to take the HC position there? [Mod: UAO, there is another team!
5) Sorry, Lake Badluck will continue to have a team.
Also, don't forget West Potomac enters the Patriot next/this year along with Alexandria "Don't Call Us TCW anymore" City High School as the Patriot District tries to become the SEC of NoVa girls HS Lax. Rumors are that at least one of them will have a new head coach as well....
UnderArmourOdor

Re: Coaching Unshake-up...

UnderArmourOdor wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:30 pm Tougher if you get it wrong on gauging the Patriot Coaching next year:
I jumped the gun as I got bad scoop Coach Hazard had stepped down so if Coach Conklin has left SoCo he won't be HC!?!?
StackO

Post by StackO »

Anyone see any good games in Woodson Elite division today? Scores?
VA-GLaxFan

Post by VA-GLaxFan »

Not every region did an ask Regional team.
Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:16 am
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

With Woodson Fall Ball almost at the end, any observations out there? Seems like it was much smaller than previous years with a mix of publics and privates. It's fall ball, so you never know who's there week to week for teams and the haven't practiced, so usually not much you can tell. But after no fall ball last year, it's good to see it back this year.
StackO

Post by StackO »

BI when they had full squad played tough. Jenny Tran at Yorktown could push Langley as team to beat in Fairfax.
UnderArmourOdor

Re: Give me the under...

StackO wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:11 pm BI when they had full squad played tough. Jenny Tran at Yorktown could push Langley as team to beat in Fairfax.
I got to admit Yorktown looked good beating BI! (Ed Note: UAO you noted it was 12 vs 8 as the Yorktown FallBall Coach refused to give BI any players to make it 12v12?) What Yorktown won't get to play everyone 12 vs 8? Well that changes the betting odds for the Spring slightly! Then again I'm betting Lake Badluck looking at COY so I like longshots!
Wg_olyr

Post by Wg_olyr »

I don't remember so much silence after a fall brawl? It is not like a 4A team knocked off BI and won the Elite title? Anyway...... the two top Loudoun teams walked through all of the other publics. Both Riverside and Dominion were missing some starters also (just like most of the others). I think you are right with Yorktown and Langley being the big dogs of 6A.
ckstevenson

Post by ckstevenson »

Wg_olyr wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:52 am I don't remember so much silence after a fall brawl? It is not like a 4A team knocked off BI and won the Elite title? Anyway...... the two top Loudoun teams walked through all of the other publics. Both Riverside and Dominion were missing some starters also (just like most of the others). I think you are right with Yorktown and Langley being the big dogs of 6A.
The responses I saw elsewhere were mostly "everyone had guest players, no one was full strength" etc. But I also have no clue who won what.
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

Most teams at fall brawl were only partial groups of what you would see in the Spring and many had borrowed players or were working in younger players. Maybe it had to do with fall/winter sports back on schedule, more people traveling for the holiday, or the trek out to Loudoun. Even so, most games were competitive among the top teams, with many only being decided by 1-2 goals. The "home" clubs in Loudoun seemed to do better than normal, probably from the level of lax improving in the area and it being easier to get their players there. Not sure there is a lot to extrapolate for the Spring season, but it served its purpose as a fun day to get teams playing and getting ready for the Spring. A lot of coaching changes this year, so the Spring could be very interesting.

Return to “HS GIRLS LACROSSE”