Corona

HS Girls Lacrosse
Lucky13

Re: Corona

Post by Lucky13 »

8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

hmmm....IWLCA - "we are canceling all recruiting tournaments and directing our contractor, Corrigan Sports to immediately refund your money" and then Corrigan states "we are not canceling the tournaments as directed by our employer and we are NOT refunding your money"

Anyone trust CSE?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

8meterPA wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:56 am hmmm....IWLCA - "we are canceling all recruiting tournaments and directing our contractor, Corrigan Sports to immediately refund your money" and then Corrigan states "we are not canceling the tournaments as directed by our employer and we are NOT refunding your money"

Anyone trust CSE?
nope....secretly hoping they are cancelled AND the money is refunded....oops, did I type that? Secret's out :o
Grem99

Post by Grem99 »

What disturbs me is that all of a sudden a new FL tournament pops up for the same weekend as President’s Cup. Live Love Lax Florida “Invitation only event for the best clubs in the country”. So did the IWLCA ditch CSE so they could be clear to recruit at smaller event with so called “best clubs”? There are a lot of great players out there for various reasons may not have joined a “best club”. How is that determined anyway? Between the social media back and forth yesterday of the IWLCA and CSE and now the elitist tournament, my daughter is beyond frustrated. How exactly is this growing the game?
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

not sure what individual schools will do with their recruiting camps - but they are always your best bet. Maybe they will have them since they can control the number of kids that attend and create a "safer" environment than massive tournaments. I hope they do.

No one likes the massive recruiting tournaments - except the sponsors and CSE. Having a coach maybe catch a glimpse of you for 5 mins in a random game isn't a great way to evaluate talent.
Lucky13

Post by Lucky13 »

I couldn’t agree more. Here we have a completely uncertain recruiting landscape and they are throwing new tournaments in there. Who’s going to attend which ones? Will coaches come to the former IWLCA tournaments? If not, would they watch film from these tournaments? Is this setting up a divide between certain coaches and programs? I see some schools/coaches are praising the IWLCA for making this tough decision. Are they going to sit out all tournament based recruiting until after November? Or are they ok so long as they aren’t putting the tournament on?

Kathy Taylor of the IWLCA put out a statement that they trust that the coaches will find the right players and the players will find the right programs but there’s a huge void in information on how that will happen. Do players go to the former IWLCA tournaments? Will the coaches be holding summer camps and clinics. From what I’ve seen some are, some are canceling all summer things.

It feels like they are putting the club coaches and girls in a really tough spot unless they unify on their messaging and stance.
njfanlax

Post by njfanlax »

Lucky13 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:42 am I couldn’t agree more. Here we have a completely uncertain recruiting landscape and they are throwing new tournaments in there. Who’s going to attend which ones? Will coaches come to the former IWLCA tournaments? If not, would they watch film from these tournaments? Is this setting up a divide between certain coaches and programs? I see some schools/coaches are praising the IWLCA for making this tough decision. Are they going to sit out all tournament based recruiting until after November? Or are they ok so long as they aren’t putting the tournament on?

Kathy Taylor of the IWLCA put out a statement that they trust that the coaches will find the right players and the players will find the right programs but there’s a huge void in information on how that will happen. Do players go to the former IWLCA tournaments? Will the coaches be holding summer camps and clinics. From what I’ve seen some are, some are canceling all summer things.

It feels like they are putting the club coaches and girls in a really tough spot unless they unify on their messaging and stance.
Yes. The last thing the 2022 players need is more uncertainty.

If they even show up at Florida, it's not a given that colleges will send coaches to both tournaments. It's going to cost them a lot more money to attend both.

Let's just say the top D1 coaches are going to see the players at LLL Florida and the low D1 and D3 coaches are going to see the players at Presidents Cup. Not every player at LLL Florida is a top D1 candidate. And there will probably be plenty of players attending Presidents Cup who are looking at competitive D1 schools.

So, this doesn't help the players. it doesn't help the clubs. It doesn't help the college coaches. It only helps the organizers of the new tournament.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:58 am
8meterPA wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:56 am Anyone trust CSE?
nope
You got that right, fellas. Obviously about the Benjamins.
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

A little bizarre that the President of the IWLCA still has her college recruiting events up for this June? Yet, they cancel an event 7 plus months from now? This seems to be nothing more than a classic contract dispute where both sides are fighting amongst themselves. Ultimately,the kids are the ones that are getting screwed.

As far as coaches watching for 5 minutes? I know a '20 who committed after a coach randomly saw her at President's Cup two years ago. Moreover, I would expect that coaches, even if they like a girl that they see at their campus would like to watch them in the context of an actual game, no?
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

I'm sure you could find cases where a coach saw a kid that wasn't on her radar at a tournament - that's the exception not the rule. If you haven't been to college camps/clinics you should try - skill sessions and scrimmages over at least 2 hours with a limited amount of kids. Throw in a campus tour and the chance to interact with current student/athletes.

Much more meaningful than some random club game with little suzy taking the draw and going straight to goal. Tournament club lacrosse games are by far the worst lacrosse - imo
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

No doubt, campus events I'm sure are the best for both the player and the coach, but aren't coaches also interested to see how the kid does in the framework of a team? If i was a coach (I'm not), I'd be very interested to see how the girl that I saw on campus and liked also does on the field - how she's interacting with her coaches, teammates and opponents, no?
njfanlax

Post by njfanlax »

8meterPA wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:36 am not sure what individual schools will do with their recruiting camps - but they are always your best bet. Maybe they will have them since they can control the number of kids that attend and create a "safer" environment than massive tournaments. I hope they do.

No one likes the massive recruiting tournaments - except the sponsors and CSE. Having a coach maybe catch a glimpse of you for 5 mins in a random game isn't a great way to evaluate talent.
I agree with everything you are saying.

However, in the current climate, we can't assume that college camps will be accessible to the many recruits who wish to visit. It currently seems like college camps are trying to move to August. If they move to the fall/winter, the college camps will be on weekends and that limit will limit accessibility even more. Kids will have to simultaneously balance school work, standardized test schedules, and lacrosse in a compressed timespan. How many can they realistically visit?

At least in a massive showcase, all of the coaches theoretically are there. There is a potential for eyeballs to be watching players - even if it is only for 5 minutes. Isn't that better than nothing?

If IWLCA coaches are going to be in FL anyway, there is nothing for the HS recruits to do that weekend- but to go to FL as well. If the only option is LLL Florida, then 80% of the players are shut out of the process.
westcoastlax

Post by westcoastlax »

I would not be overly concerned about the lack of tournaments. Enjoy the game, enjoy your teammates and challenge yourself to get better.

I am a West Coast parent who has been been through recruiting with two daughters. They looked at a few Ivies and high academic D3 schools. Every school wants to see you on campus. Many want to see you many times. This is just not possible from the West Coast (unless you have family on the East Coast). One school asked my daughter to come in June and then wanted her to come back again in July. That was just not possible. There are a number of good players out West, but you will notice only a limited number on East coast rosters.

Recruiting is very challenging. It is very important to have an honest assessment about your ability and your desire to play at the college level. The best return on investment and your time is going to camps at schools you are interested in and have the talent to play at. Camps have better instruction, better competition and more lacrosse then tournaments. Some schools do a better job teaching then others. My daughters have always enjoyed and gotten much more out of camps. She went to some with multiple coaches early on to get a feel for the coaches and others with just one coaching staff on campus later in the process as she narrowed down her list.

Club coaches still help research interest from schools and help facilitate player development trough practice. Tournaments were more for fun and less about recruiting. Good SAT scores can help a lot. So do not forget to invest some energy and time into getting those better.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

westcoastlax wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:46 am I would not be overly concerned about the lack of tournaments. Enjoy the game, enjoy your teammates and challenge yourself to get better.

I am a West Coast parent who has been been through recruiting with two daughters. They looked at a few Ivies and high academic D3 schools. Every school wants to see you on campus. Many want to see you many times. This is just not possible from the West Coast (unless you have family on the East Coast). One school asked my daughter to come in June and then wanted her to come back again in July. That was just not possible. There are a number of good players out West, but you will notice only a limited number on East coast rosters.

Recruiting is very challenging. It is very important to have an honest assessment about your ability and your desire to play at the college level. The best return on investment and your time is going to camps at schools you are interested in and have the talent to play at. Camps have better instruction, better competition and more lacrosse then tournaments. Some schools do a better job teaching then others. My daughters have always enjoyed and gotten much more out of camps. She went to some with multiple coaches early on to get a feel for the coaches and others with just one coaching staff on campus later in the process as she narrowed down her list.

Club coaches still help research interest from schools and help facilitate player development trough practice. Tournaments were more for fun and less about recruiting. Good SAT scores can help a lot. So do not forget to invest some energy and time into getting those better.
agree 110% very well said!
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

8meterPA wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:48 am
westcoastlax wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:46 am I would not be overly concerned about the lack of tournaments. Enjoy the game, enjoy your teammates and challenge yourself to get better.

yes...go to as many camps/clinics as your interests/schedule (and $$) allow. Use those to focus the search and hopefully find a mutual interest.
Lucky13

Post by Lucky13 »

This is great advice and was on our agenda for the summer as well. However many camps and clinics are already cancelled. I expect more will be soon. I can’t see a college allowing an overnight camp in this environment.

Maybe they’ll be moved to the fall?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Lucky13 wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:35 pm This is great advice and was on our agenda for the summer as well. However many camps and clinics are already cancelled. I expect more will be soon. I can’t see a college allowing an overnight camp in this environment.

Maybe they’ll be moved to the fall?
What we found with the youngest (2021) is that many schools seemed to have camps at the same time...it was often very difficult to decide. If you dont mind paying a bit more, the combine camps (which as you noted may be cancelled or postponed) like Triple Threat and Max Exposure are great to get in front of many coaches in a setting that is like being at individual school camps. I am going to guess that on-site college camps are going to be pushed to late summer/fall and will all be fighting for your attendance/money.
Toplax

Post by Toplax »

8meterPA wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:48 am

Can't stress enough about grades and SAT/ACT scores if you are looking at high academic D3 Programs (NESCAC, UChicago, W/L) My daughter's experience as a late D1 Decomit with interest in D3. Most coaches do have a free chip to use for the player they really want with lower academics but without that, not much pull with admissions. Also agree most coach's want you to campus before July 1st, That's the day they can get their academic reads from admissions. Going to be tough for 21's that haven't been seen by these coaches already.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Just saw a tweet by a D1 school that they will NOT be attending any recruiting tournaments not put on by the IWLCA - now the dominos will begin to fall and perhaps put a fork in CSE's efforts to go around IWLCA. I'm wondering when this will come to a head where CSE will be forced to return deposits and what may follow...
laxfan22

Post by laxfan22 »

There have been a number of tweets/Instagram posts that say the same thing - in virtually identical language. It's sad. It's clear that Covid isn't the reason and it's disappointing that IWLCA would claim that is the case - these schools are saying they are not going to Corrigan events - they aren't refusing to go to other tournaments. I don't think it's too much to ask that the the parties involved be honest instead of distorting the truth - if it's a contract issue, just say that they are no longer doing business with Corrigan. Don't add fear upon fear and use high school kids as pawns. It's just not right and any amount of videos that coaches "are with you" is offensive, imo. These kids have already lost an entire season, probably lost a ton of opportunities through the NCAA granting fifth years to every college player and now are dealing with this nonsense on top of it.

Return to “HS GIRLS LACROSSE”