2022 Virginia Public GLAX

HS Girls Lacrosse
UrsineCanine

Re: 2022 Virginia Public GLAX

Post by UrsineCanine »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:19 pm
UrsineCanine wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:10 pm
BuckyLou wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:48 am Congrats to Battlefield, Falls Church and Robinson (who as the other (im)poster noted, pulled out a miraculous come from behind win at the Coffey Shop) for their District Titles.

Chalk seems to be the name of the day in districts (except Champe over Freedom), will it hold up to in the final two championships next week - Oakton at Madison and Yorktown at Langley?
I think so... Those games will be worth the price of admission, but the home teams likely prevail in each.

I think that that Robinson/Woodson thriller might be a rematch in the Region Finals too.
When the playoffs are known, can someone post them? I would like to see a game or two.
Not that you would want to venture out to 6B land, but on Friday...
Patriot travels to Colgan. Interesting because last year Patriot lost 12-3 in their home opener to Colgan, and then crushed them at Colgan in Regionals 19-8. So, they opened against each other at Colgan with the Pioneers winning 24-19. Will be interesting to see how each team got its defensive slides down for the rematch, bu I think the smart money will be on under 43 total.

Colonial Forge travels to John Champe. No one knows what to make of Colonial Forge, and they lost on the road at Mountain View today (for their third loss of the season - all to the same team).

Winners of those will play each other.

Woodbridge hosts Freedom, and Battlefield hosts Forest Park. I think most people expect Freedom and Battlefield to progress out of these matchups and play each other next week for a trip to states. But, you know... High school sports, expectations, etc.
VALaxer

Post by VALaxer »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 4:19 pm
UrsineCanine wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 9:10 pm
BuckyLou wrote: Sat May 14, 2022 11:48 am Congrats to Battlefield, Falls Church and Robinson (who as the other (im)poster noted, pulled out a miraculous come from behind win at the Coffey Shop) for their District Titles.

Chalk seems to be the name of the day in districts (except Champe over Freedom), will it hold up to in the final two championships next week - Oakton at Madison and Yorktown at Langley?
I think so... Those games will be worth the price of admission, but the home teams likely prevail in each.

I think that that Robinson/Woodson thriller might be a rematch in the Region Finals too.
When the playoffs are known, can someone post them? I would like to see a game or two.
VHSL C & D Regional Brackets and games/site/times are now posted on VHSL website.

With Langley's loss and Madison winning in OT last night, means that they likely face each other in a Regional Semi-final, so only 1 of the 2 can advance to states (as only regional finalists make it).
UrsineCanine

Piping hot playoff brackets

Post by UrsineCanine »

Region 6C: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WpO1ls ... 7nK67/view
5/19:
------
Robinson @ Fairfax
WS @ Justice
Winners on 5/23
------
SC @ Woodson
West Po @ Falls Church
Winners on 5/23
------
Region Final on 6/26

Region 6D: https://drive.google.com/file/d/172vzSV ... tL5c-/view
5/23:
------
Cville @ Ytown
WL @ Oakton
Winners on 5/25
------
McLean @ Madison
Westfield @ Langley
Winners on 5/25
------

Region Final on 5/27
Dr. Tact

Re: Piping hot playoff brackets

Post by Dr. Tact »

UrsineCanine wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:18 pm Region 6C: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WpO1ls ... 7nK67/view
5/19:
------
Robinson @ Fairfax
WS @ Justice
Winners on 5/23
------
SC @ Woodson
West Po @ Falls Church
Winners on 5/23
------
Region Final on 6/26

Region 6D: https://drive.google.com/file/d/172vzSV ... tL5c-/view
5/23:
------
Cville @ Ytown
WL @ Oakton
Winners on 5/25
------
McLean @ Madison
Westfield @ Langley
Winners on 5/25
------

Region Final on 5/27
Thanks
UrsineCanine

Latest Class 6 Region results

Post by UrsineCanine »

Robinson over Fairfax, 22-13
WS over Justice, 17-13
WS @ Robinson on 5/23 at 6:30pm

WestPo over Falls Church 19-12
Woodson over SC 16-11
WestPo at Woodson on 5/23 at 6:30pm

John Champe over CForge 10-6
Faces the winner of Colgan and Patriot on 5/24

Freedom over Woodbridge, 15-5
Faces the winner of Battlefield and Forest Park on 5/24
BuckyLou

Post by BuckyLou »

Battlefield 20-2 and Colgan 15-14 last night.

As for next week, give me Woodson and Robinson to set up an epic rematch in the Region C final and Battlefield and Champe in the Region B final.
VALaxer

Re: Latest Class 6 Region results

Post by VALaxer »

UrsineCanine wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 4:44 pm Robinson over Fairfax, 22-13
WS over Justice, 17-13
WS @ Robinson on 5/23 at 6:30pm
Game is at 5:30.
StackO

Post by StackO »

Will any region game outcome be affected by weather tonight? Could be some heavy rain in area.
UnderArmourOdor

Re: Return to "The Pat"...

Post by UnderArmourOdor »

Very entertaining game at Woodson tonight as the Emperor returned after having always brought the last great Lake Badluck teams to tangle with the Cavs having since brought Chantilly, Herndon & Freedom to postseasons. This was the new coaches’ side of the draw as the two 1st year leaders had the boxes jumping in the first half as it went 2-2, 3-3, 4-4, 6-6, 8-8 with no lead safe ending 9-8 Cavs. The second half saw the "DiDi Mou" offense come out fast as the Wolverines went up 10-9. Coach Schneider adjusted & the Cavs stormed back to a 14-12 lead with 13 minutes left. The Cavs pulled away to their biggest lead at 16-12 thanks to two West Po YCs within 20 seconds. Coach Chen down a player yelled "gamble on the ride" & I'm sure he didn't mean to knock the googles off the girl with the ball so down two cost the Wolves two scores with only 9 minutes left. Cavs looked good until a Cav attacker decided that a late ride is better than no ride & boom took a bad YC hit. The Robo players entered in mass having started play an hour earlier & finished off the stubborn Spartans (14-8???) in the battle of the two hold-over District Coaches & the last two COYs (Moderator: Hey UAO, WTW, West Po, Fairfax, TCW & SoCo all had new coaches this season add Robo & West S is seven aren't you missing a coach? UAO: Nope don't think so!) That is all the hungry Wolves needed to get some YC payback scoring not One, not Two but Three goals during the card to pull back to 15-16. All the Mo was headed the Visitors way until finally the Cavs stopped the bleeding with a goal that West Po followed with one 17-16. The Cavs didn't panic & got to 18 but there was no quit in the Wolves who got a FPS but a timely check popped it over the goal & the Cavs tried to clear the ball but of course it was a failure. Cavs got the ball back & this time a timely TO got it in the right stick & unlike the last Robo game the Cavs learned how to close it out for a 18-16 final. This brings up a third trip to Robo this season on Thursday. Someone on the Robo side lamented the girls left for "The Pat" taking it for granted the 19-0 Robo guys would win over LB... nope shocker done for the year at 19-1!
UrsineCanine

6B Final

Post by UrsineCanine »

John Champe travels to Battlefield on Friday at 6pm.

Cosby/James River in the Region 6A Final (likely Cosby winning after two running clock wins over JR this year already).
VALaxer

6D Deciding Day

Post by VALaxer »

Two big ones in in Class 6 Region D tonight. Two top 5 teams will be done if you believe the polls on here:

Langley vs Madison at Oakton HS 6:00 p.m. (due to Madison field refurbishing)

Oakton @ Yorktown 7:30 p.m. (or thereabouts after YT boys play C'Ville at 5:30 pm - kudos to YT, nice to see the ladies get the primetime game)

Hopefully Oakton turns on the cameras for NFHS, not sure if there is a way to see Oak-YT without trekking to North Arlington.
UrsineCanine

Re: 6D Deciding Day

Post by UrsineCanine »

VALaxer wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:23 am Hopefully Oakton turns on the cameras for NFHS, not sure if there is a way to see Oak-YT without trekking to North Arlington.
I would expect that the YHS Boosters YouTube channel will have the Yorktown game here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdGtSj ... VwXWfUD7-g

They do a pretty nice job the few times I have watched them.
VALaxer

Re: 6D Deciding Day

Post by VALaxer »

VALaxer wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 11:23 am Two big ones in in Class 6 Region D tonight. Two top 5 teams will be done if you believe the polls on here:

Langley vs Madison at Oakton HS 6:00 p.m. (due to Madison field refurbishing)

Oakton @ Yorktown 7:30 p.m. (or thereabouts after YT boys play C'Ville at 5:30 pm - kudos to YT, nice to see the ladies get the primetime game)

Hopefully Oakton turns on the cameras for NFHS, not sure if there is a way to see Oak-YT without trekking to North Arlington.
We have our answers:

Langley 15 - Madison 8 (Saxons storm back from a 5-1 deficit to dominate the last 3/4 of game).

Yorktown 13 - Oakton 8 (Patriots control most of the game)
Dr. Tact

Bad Camera

Post by Dr. Tact »

Terrible camera work for Woodson/Robo. You can only see to the 20 yard line on the entry side. So you cant see any goal action on that end. Why would anyone think that is OK?

I filmed for many years from that press box. Never had a problem seeing both goals. :evil:
UrsineCanine

Re: Bad Camera

Post by UrsineCanine »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:05 pm Terrible camera work for Woodson/Robo. You can only see to the 20 yard line on the entry side. So you cant see any goal action on that end. Why would anyone think that is OK?

I filmed for many years from that press box. Never had a problem seeing both goals. :evil:
A large number of the Pixellot automated cameras that NFHS uses have the lacrosse bug, and you describe the symptoms. They have been "working on it" for the better part of two months.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

UrsineCanine wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:19 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:05 pm Terrible camera work for Woodson/Robo. You can only see to the 20 yard line on the entry side. So you cant see any goal action on that end. Why would anyone think that is OK?

A large number of the Pixellot automated cameras that NFHS uses have the lacrosse bug, and you describe the symptoms. They have been "working on it" for the better part of two months.
Well maybe that is it, but there has always been a Robinson crew doing the broadcasts. At least it was when I was in the box. IT is cutting off the opposite end now. Like it has a Woodson lean :D
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

So I am guessing if it is automated, it is trying to centralize the picture at all times. That is unfortunate for a lax.
UrsineCanine

Post by UrsineCanine »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:37 pm

So I am guessing if it is automated, it is trying to centralize the picture at all times. That is unfortunate for a lax.
Yes. And it used to do a pretty good job. And on the units that don't have the bug, it still does a pretty good job. Word is that they will have camera crews for the State Final, not sure about the Semis or Quarterfinals yet.
UnderArmourOdor

Re: Two Choice Games...

I got to see two classic match-ups in the last two nights first venturing to the wreckage that is Oakton HS to see Madison vs Langley why…working on Madison track could it be worse than OHS??? I got there early & Madison arrived singing on the bus…they only had a chance for half a song on the shortest ride in NoVA!?!? Parents came late to game & hopefully ate on the way as Oakton provided no concessions for a double header so everyone went hungry & thirsty. Funniest thing was Madison bastardizing the National Anthem with the last line now being…” home of the Warhawks!” This was a bad sign as they were at Oakton High School!
I watched the Langley keepers warm up! After the Senior came out of the cage, she took off her chest protector & her freshman sister put it on for warm-ups…I wonder if the old coach took them all with him to Visi? The frosh got the call for the Saxons but the Hawks came out rolling to a 5-1 lead making it look effortless. Langley came roaring back with some quick strikes making it a game at the half leading 6-5. Not sure this happens every game but the Soph starter got the hook from the cage & the Senior entered in a one-goal game! It didn’t stop the bleeding as it went from 5 unanswered goals to 9 with Saxons up 10-5 before the Hawks got it back to a 4-goal lead. It was all Saxons until 5 minutes left when they took the air out of the ball at 14-8. A frosh went to goal with 19 seconds left for the coup de grâce. Possibly the worst PA system in Northern Region as it was nothing but garbled sounds…maybe no one helped adjust it as it was the Madison announcer & the Cougs are no fans???
Tonight, there was another short bus ride for the oldest & bitterest rivalry in Virginia that boiled over at the Coffey for a third chapter of Robinson-Woodson this year. These two have 13 State Championships between them & the Rams had won the regular season game by two & the District Crown by one over the Cavs. With a big crowd in attendance both parents, friends & some other squads taking a look at the proceedings. Both coaching staffs threw in some new wrinkles causing long probing possessions that were the order of the day as the two squads stymied each other’s offense until the Cavs broke thru the throttling Robo D. Two YCs on the Rams put them behind 5-2. Cherry (who had a hard fall behind the play early in the 2nd half but luckily came back) pulled the home team back to 4-5 but the Cavs got two in the last three minutes to lead 7-4 at the half. Oasis was as good as usual for a halftime visit, good tunes & announcer.
Robo made a goalie switch at the half & both keepers locked in making some big saves with long offensive possessions as the Ds were very active. Both teams got two each in the first 14 minutes of the 2nd half making it 9-6 Cavs. That was as close as the Rams would get as the Cavs net-minder got to a dozen saves while a Cav attacker overlooked for the Region squad was playing angry & went for the hat-trick pushing the Cavs to 12-6.
An officiating A Team was available so the lacrosse was at a high-level as the rain held off with just a 2nd half drizzle not enough to have anyone break out an umbrella. Tough to beat a team three times & Cavs improving on the draw circle & a MVP effort by Sine in goal was the difference. Both teams took home the same Banners as last year.
UnderArmourOdor

Re: Occoquan Region 1st Team

Attack
SR Holly Hill Robo
SR Laila Omar Fall Church
SR Brooke Hothem Buford T Justice
SO Anna Checkosky Robo

Middie
SR Riley Sturtevant West Spring
SR Mia Federovich Falls Church
SO Reese Cuviello Woodson
SR Makena Jordan Fairfax

Defense
SR Lauren Faulkner Woodson
SR Abby Barrett Robo
SR Jo McPhail West Spring
JR Brett Mahan SoCo

At Large
SR Makayla Im Fairfax
SR Lauren Dalrymple West Spring
SR Celia Kelaher Buford T Justice
SR Lauren Rothstein Robo

Goalie
JR Annalise Thaler West Spring

Player of the Year - SR Riley Sturtevant West Spring
Coach of the Year - Dave Dresser Falls Church

Sorry I don't have the 2nd Team if there was one as I've never seen At Large as a Catagory rather than the classic A-M-D-G 5-5-5-1. Quick eval the Rebels should have probably done better than P5 with as many 1st Teamers as the Region Champs.

Return to “HS GIRLS LACROSSE”