W&L 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
nescac commit

Re: W&L 2023

Post by nescac commit »

Couple points:

I grew up in KC and was friends with all Pembroke and Rock players. Evan Wyatt is a huge win. Very high IQ player and superb skills.

2) Wyatt was coached heavily by Will Garrett in KC. Garrett is a WnL alum who coached Sme (public school in Ks) to 5 straight championship games (won 3). Players from his teams went to Denver, Marquette, recent 5 star Army commit Tade Wynn, among others. Garrett spent 2 years coaching at NAIA school in ks and produced great results. Rumor is he is on his way back to Lexington to fill assistant role.

All together big win
JPAtlantic

Post by JPAtlantic »

Will Garrett '13 added to the coaching staff for the 2023 season.
Previous two seasons head coach at Benedictine College.
He did great things while in Kansas.

https://generalssports.com/news/2022/8/ ... staff.aspx
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

MarionBarry wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:59 pm And the 2022 class would have been even better if they could have kept this kid...
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... commitment
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G5wPmIVOot4
So he had committed to W&L and Bucknell stole his heart. Does W&L check in after fall ball and see if the love isn’t being reciprocated. Maybe Bucknell isn’t all he thought it might be
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

ahhh, the sweet perfume of D1 ;)
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
smoova

Post by smoova »

HooDat wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:19 pm ahhh, the sweet perfume of D1 ;)
It's a siren song for so many ...
Dehuntshigwa’es

smoova wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:30 pm
Anyone think W&L is done on the recruiting trail or might there be some on the fence
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Captains were announced this week. Congratulations to these young men.

https://twitter.com/generalsmlax/status ... IbzyqbedLQ
JPAtlantic

Post by JPAtlantic »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:38 pm
smoova wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:30 pm
Anyone think W&L is done on the recruiting trail or might there be some on the fence
There were 5 more commits after this date last year.

The roster looks to be 56 players this year which is the biggest it has been in many years. Next year's projected roster is already at 53.
Ol'Southlacrosse

Post by Ol'Southlacrosse »

McCabe recently got a promotion in the athletic Department are him/the school looking to faze him out of the coaching roll and into administration off the field?
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Ol'Southlacrosse wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:33 pm McCabe recently got a promotion in the athletic Department are him/the school looking to faze him out of the coaching roll and into administration off the field?
So did several head coaches, including womens basketball who is coming off of the best year in program history. I think you’re overthinking things.
Ol'Southlacrosse

Post by Ol'Southlacrosse »

InsiderRoll wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:10 pm
Ol'Southlacrosse wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 8:33 pm McCabe recently got a promotion in the athletic Department are him/the school looking to faze him out of the coaching roll and into administration off the field?
So did several head coaches, including womens basketball who is coming off of the best year in program history. I think you’re overthinking things.
Yeah I know but, Gene has a history and is currently dating a 5th COed in the law school. This might worry administration don't want a coach going through a mid life crisis when trying to win a ODAC championship
smoova

Post by smoova »

Ol'Southlacrosse wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:05 pm Gene has a history and is currently dating a 5th COed in the law school. This might worry administration don't want a coach going through a mid life crisis when trying to win a ODAC championship
Soooo, there's quite a bit to unpack here ...
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

smoova wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:13 pm
Ol'Southlacrosse wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:05 pm Gene has a history and is currently dating a 5th COed in the law school. This might worry administration don't want a coach going through a mid life crisis when trying to win a ODAC championship
Sounds like a student in the Law school is a fully grown person. Also they may have give him this promotion to give him more money as they had a pretty good year
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Asgot wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:05 pm
smoova wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:13 pm
Sounds like a student in the Law school is a fully grown person. Also they may have give him this promotion to give him more money as they had a pretty good year
I’m quite certain that this is a former player. Kid who was cut. Disgruntled parent. Etc. - Someone who thinks spouting off made up things that could get someone fired anonymously on the internet is a good idea. Very juvenile.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Eleven recruits that I’m aware of, normal attrition is what would you guess 10-15%. Thankfully the schools retention rate is well above 90%. The incoming freshman group just from the tape looks to be very very good. It would be nice to back it up with an equally strong class in 23. Noke is going to be better than last year. HSC maybe a notch lower, haven’t looked at Lynchburg yet
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Not trying to be mean to Averett, but why would W&L allow them to join the ODAC? According to US News, Averett has a 100% acceptance rate and 25% of the accepted applicants score below 880 on the SAT. 75% score below 1090. It seems that one of the advantages the NESCAC has over W&L is that league members are all generally seen as strong academic institutions. Wouldn't W&L be wiser to advocate for paring down the conference to the highest-ranked schools academically and seeking similar schools to join as new league members?
smoova

Post by smoova »

Can Opener wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:11 am Not trying to be mean to Averett, but why would W&L allow them to join the ODAC? According to US News, Averett has a 100% acceptance rate and 25% of the accepted applicants score below 880 on the SAT. 75% score below 1090. It seems that one of the advantages the NESCAC has over W&L is that league members are all generally seen as strong academic institutions. Wouldn't W&L be wiser to advocate for paring down the conference to the highest-ranked schools academically and seeking similar schools to join as new league members?
With the exception of W&L (25%) and HSC (47%), I believe all of the ODAC lacrosse schools accept at least 70% of applicants. I'm not sure any amount of trimming will bring the ODAC into line with the NESCAC (or even the Centennial) from an admissions perspective. FWIW, I know a bunch of kids in the 2022 and 2023 recruiting classes at W&L, Midd, Bowdoin and Tufts and I don't think any of them even remotely considered admissions rigor of the other conference schools when making their decisions.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Can Opener wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:11 am Not trying to be mean to Averett, but why would W&L allow them to join the ODAC? According to US News, Averett has a 100% acceptance rate and 25% of the accepted applicants score below 880 on the SAT. 75% score below 1090. It seems that one of the advantages the NESCAC has over W&L is that league members are all generally seen as strong academic institutions. Wouldn't W&L be wiser to advocate for paring down the conference to the highest-ranked schools academically and seeking similar schools to join as new league members?
Yeah I don’t really think this is a problem. There’s also really not a lot of schools like them in the south. Most of their regional peer institutions are D1. Schools like Duke, Vanderbilt, UVA, Georgetown, Wake Forest, Emory, UNC, Richmond, William & Mary, Davidson would be their regional competition for the typical non athlete applicant. All of those schools except Emory have D1 athletics.

The institution historically never had an interest in being an “Ivy” type athletics school. In fact in 1921 they were a founding member of the original Southern Conference with the members being Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi State, North Carolina, North Carolina State, Tennessee, Virginia, Virginia Tech, and Washington & Lee. They had all division 1 programs with athletic scholarships until the 50’s when the football team had a massive cheating scandal. They then moved all sports except mens lacrosse to D3 and scaled back. Had that incident gone differently they likely would be more like a Wake Forest in the ACC today. But they decided to go a different direction and now are a member of the ODAC. My point is, they do not want to be like every other NESCAC school, they want to be themselves.
Leonard Washington

Post by Leonard Washington »

Can Opener wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:11 am Not trying to be mean to Averett, but why would W&L allow them to join the ODAC?
W&L and their AD/administration could have voted against Averett joining the ODAC, but Averett still could have recieved enough backing/votes from other schools to be added.
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
Bert Macklin

Post by Bert Macklin »

Leonard Washington wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:46 am
Can Opener wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:11 am Not trying to be mean to Averett, but why would W&L allow them to join the ODAC?
W&L and their AD/administration could have voted against Averett joining the ODAC, but Averett still could have recieved enough backing/votes from other schools to be added.
I would assume that multiple schools said no, averett is a) not the strongest academically and b) not very successful lacrosse all sports. When you have teams in every sport that are fighting for national rankings and tournament apperences don't want to have to play a team they willl beat but have no affect of their nation standing. Great example is lacrosse, Noke, HSC, Lyn, and W&L have always been in or just outside of the top 20 and fight for bids but SoS get messed up because the ODAC has teams like Randolph, Guilford, VA wes, Ferrum who the win basically means nothing outside the ODAC while schools from NESCA and Centennial play good teams every week

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”