who wins in 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Asgot

who wins in 2023

Post by Asgot »

Ok, so now that we have a new Champion in D3, 2-time champ RIT, who looks like they can compete next year. This is harder for D3 as the Covid year has had more effect here than anywhere else. a quick look at it and it appears like many of the top teams will take a big hit in graduation. Union, SJF, and RIT all lose significant pieces. Tufts loses a lot but if they can convince Bredhal to stay that may soften the blow. York loses a lot as does Salisbury. on the other hand, it seems like CNU and Dickinson both have several returning starters, but where is everyone else? is there a surprise team that could jump up next year.
JustOneTime

Re: who wins in 2023

Post by JustOneTime »

Not so sure about CNU being as good next year. They had 10 5th years and 6 seniors on their roster this year. I'm not sure if any of their seniors are coming back for a 5th year in 2023. I did see that Brady Altobello is in the transfer portal.
Dickinson does return a bunch of guys so they could take that next step in 2023
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

I’d expect the majority of the top 10 from this past year to stay in that range. Most of those teams do lose a ton of talent, but they all have proven that they can reload year after year. In no order I think Dickinson, Tufts, CNU, Salisbury, and RIT will be mainstays in the top 5. I am very close to some people within the CNU lacrosse community and although they lose a lot, they do bring back two 1st team AA’s, three 2nd team AA’s, and their HM AA goalie. Plus some really talented players in Alex Brendes(47 G’s), Ryan Young(50 GB’s, 34CT’s), and Drew Miller(70 points). Combine that with a highly regarded recruiting class and a couple of rumored transfers and I believe they can build upon what they did this year. I will say replacing three 5-year starters in Max Wayne(2022 POY), Dylan Rice(244 career goals!!) and Phoenix Hines(187 career CT’s!!) will be a challenging adjustment period.

Outside of the captains, I can see Dickinson really taking a big step next year. They have arguably one of the best goalies in the country in Brandau and they return basically everyone. If Bredahl returns, Tufts will be a force to reckon with as well.

Excited to see how teams shake up after this summer in regards to the transfer portal.
smmtiger

Post by smmtiger »

Don't sleep on Pfeiffer!
Nescac12001

Post by Nescac12001 »

I’d say that out of all of the top 10 teams the one taking the smallest hit with graduation is Bowdoin. They bring back most of their starting lineup and talent. They will be scary next year
RetiredLLLaxer

Post by RetiredLLLaxer »

I think it is naive to pick anyone other than RIT at this point. Last year I remember talking about how much they were graduating -- goalie, FO guy, two close defenseman and an two attack-men who were all AA's. They filled those spots easily this year and may have been even better. Not to mention Ryan Rosenblum missed the entire 2nd half of this season, an All American Junior middie. If they don't win again next year, I will be shocked. Union proved to be quite literally the only team that could challenge them because of 1) their experience and 2) how well they knew the Tigers. There is no question in my mind Union was the 2nd best team in the country and I don't see anyone even being as good as them next year. 3peat for the Tigers incoming.
HomerCoach

Post by HomerCoach »

RetiredLLLaxer wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:08 pm I think it is naive to pick anyone other than RIT at this point. Last year I remember talking about how much they were graduating -- goalie, FO guy, two close defenseman and an two attack-men who were all AA's. They filled those spots easily this year and may have been even better. Not to mention Ryan Rosenblum missed the entire 2nd half of this season, an All American Junior middie. If they don't win again next year, I will be shocked. Union proved to be quite literally the only team that could challenge them because of 1) their experience and 2) how well they knew the Tigers. There is no question in my mind Union was the 2nd best team in the country and I don't see anyone even being as good as them next year. 3peat for the Tigers incoming.
Save this post.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

RetiredLLLaxer wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:08 pm I think it is naive to pick anyone other than RIT at this point. ...If they don't win again next year, I will be shocked.
I won't go quite as far, but I agree that the discussion of 2023 favorites starts and ends with RIT.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

A quick look at the RIT roster and it appear that most of there kids can come back, which would be scary. The question is who will be back and how do they fill the gaps.
allthingsODAC

Post by allthingsODAC »

Being that Im HSC fan I'd like to hope that CNU is down next year but, don't think that's the case. Coach is great and draws in good transfers (Cook, Young) I expect he has some guys up his sleeve to reload next year
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

CNU does lose a lot of 5th year players and seniors but I suspect that with a couple of transfers they will continue in the top 6 category. They have the ability to morph into a quasi Salisbury situation w tuition costs and a solid coach. I thought this would have been their year. Is this the first time in about 30 years that a sr class went thru Salisbury without winning a championship??? A lot of teams with large 5th year players will be down. RIT will be down 20 seniors that’s a lot to come back from. They also had a very small freshman class.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

I don't think they'll win it all but Middlebury should be the most relevant they've been in a decade as they bring back almost all of their contributors from 2021, including some guys who had really impressive first year campaigns. Their performance this past spring was kind of all over the place, but the Tufts win shows the potential firepower if/when everything clicks.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

allthingsODAC wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:26 pm Being that Im HSC fan I'd like to hope that CNU is down next year but, don't think that's the case. Coach is great and draws in good transfers (Cook, Young) I expect he has some guys up his sleeve to reload next year
HSC!
Wall Ball

Post by Wall Ball »

JustOneTime wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:48 pm Not so sure about CNU being as good next year. They had 10 5th years and 6 seniors on their roster this year. I'm not sure if any of their seniors are coming back for a 5th year in 2023. I did see that Brady Altobello is in the transfer portal.
How do you access the transfer portal
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Wall Ball wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:16 pm
JustOneTime wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 2:48 pm Not so sure about CNU being as good next year. They had 10 5th years and 6 seniors on their roster this year. I'm not sure if any of their seniors are coming back for a 5th year in 2023. I did see that Brady Altobello is in the transfer portal.
How do you access the transfer portal
Get a job as a college coach, compliance officer or athletic administrator.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Laxxal22 wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:21 pm I don't think they'll win it all but Middlebury should be the most relevant they've been in a decade as they bring back almost all of their contributors from 2021, including some guys who had really impressive first year campaigns. Their performance this past spring was kind of all over the place, but the Tufts win shows the potential firepower if/when everything clicks.
Lack of talent hasn’t been Middlebury’s issue in last decade.
Wall Ball

Post by Wall Ball »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:54 pm CNU does lose a lot of 5th year players and seniors but I suspect that with a couple of transfers they will continue in the top 6 category. They have the ability to morph into a quasi Salisbury situation w tuition costs and a solid coach. I thought this would have been their year. Is this the first time in about 30 years that a sr class went thru Salisbury without winning a championship??? A lot of teams with large 5th year players will be down. RIT will be down 20 seniors that’s a lot to come back from. They also had a very small freshman class.
I want to know what CNU and Salisbury are going to do about a conference. I see more travel in CNU’s futures. They are lucky, teams want to go south for games in Feb and March.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Wall Ball wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:25 pm
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:54 pm CNU does lose a lot of 5th year players and seniors but I suspect that with a couple of transfers they will continue in the top 6 category. They have the ability to morph into a quasi Salisbury situation w tuition costs and a solid coach. I thought this would have been their year. Is this the first time in about 30 years that a sr class went thru Salisbury without winning a championship??? A lot of teams with large 5th year players will be down. RIT will be down 20 seniors that’s a lot to come back from. They also had a very small freshman class.
I want to know what CNU and Salisbury are going to do about a conference. I see more travel in CNU’s futures. They are lucky, teams want to go south for games in Feb and March.
I heard, from a coach who should know, that CNU and Salisbury will partner up with Stockton, Montclair St., and Kean to create a new conference. Was not sure if Mary Washington Is also going.
Nescac12001

Post by Nescac12001 »

Still not enough talk about a Bowdoin team who again, is bringing back most of their talent and has obviously found a gem in Coach Mason
Wall Ball

Post by Wall Ball »

Asgot wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:57 pm
Wall Ball wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:25 pm
I heard, from a coach who should know, that CNU and Salisbury will partner up with Stockton, Montclair St., and Kean to create a new conference. Was not sure if Mary Washington Is also going.
I’m sure MW has to be part of the new conference since they need 6. Still a lot of travel from VA to NJ.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”