2022 D3 NCAA Tournament Bracket

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Unknown Participant

Re: 2022 D3 NCAA Tournament Bracket

Post by Unknown Participant »

Pegasus5 wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 8:14 pm I watched the RIT-Bowdoin game at the same time while watching Rutgers - Penn. I get it about the RIT announcer but man it was refreshing compared to listening to the references to the Jersey Boys and "Thunderoad" and all of that frat boy insinuated non-sense on ESPN. The RIT announcer is a homer but what do you expect? He gave out a lot of stats about the NESCAC and the Polar Bars that I would never expect a homer to ever know. While RIT poured it on I was actually taken back by how far Bowdoin has come in the NESCAC give the other NESCAC big boys performance in past tournaments. Would never have known it was only their 2nd appearance in the tournament but for the RIT homer announcer. Congratulations on a good season Polar Bears.
I like the RIT guy. I want to know who scores, who assists, what the penalty is, etc. I do not need to have all the nuances of lacrosse explained to me. I like the stats the RIT guy pumps out as I may not know or remember them. He has great pipes too, which is a plus.

MTA: should have quoted ah23.
richard

Post by richard »

The guy is a play by play guy. I think he does a great job.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Unknown Participant wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:13 pm I like the RIT guy. I want to know who scores, who assists, what the penalty is, etc. I do not need to have all the nuances of lacrosse explained to me. I like the stats the RIT guy pumps out as I may not know or remember them. He has great pipes too, which is a plus.

Well…he got names and player stats wrong all afternoon. Got at least one call wrong as well (seemingly doesn’t know the over-and-back rule).

I get your general point - I obviously think good play-by-play is important, and some of this is up to preference. I just don’t think “[player] passes to [player], who passes to [player], passes to [player], who shoots and scores” is even passable. I’m watching the game; obviously I can see that they’re passing! PbP always involves some level of analysis. I don’t mean some deep nuance or next level chalk talks. I just mean basic stuff that shows you know what’s happening and aren’t some AI algorithm Elon Musk is beta testing. You will never, ever see any real sports broadcast where the play-by-play lead just mundanely calls out names and numbers without adding anything else.

Anyway…this is distracting from the games tomorrow and that’s my bad. I will unfortunately leave him on mute tomorrow and have the CNU guys on with nothing to complain about…other than the fact that on a day with only two games, the NCAA inexplicably put both at the exact same time!
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

ah23 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:57 am
Unknown Participant wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 9:13 pm I like the RIT guy. I want to know who scores, who assists, what the penalty is, etc. I do not need to have all the nuances of lacrosse explained to me. I like the stats the RIT guy pumps out as I may not know or remember them. He has great pipes too, which is a plus.

Well…he got names and player stats wrong all afternoon. Got at least one call wrong as well (seemingly doesn’t know the over-and-back rule).

I get your general point - I obviously think good play-by-play is important, and some of this is up to preference. I just don’t think “[player] passes to [player], who passes to [player], passes to [player], who shoots and scores” is even passable. I’m watching the game; obviously I can see that they’re passing! PbP always involves some level of analysis. I don’t mean some deep nuance or next level chalk talks. I just mean basic stuff that shows you know what’s happening and aren’t some AI algorithm Elon Musk is beta testing. You will never, ever see any real sports broadcast where the play-by-play lead just mundanely calls out names and numbers without adding anything else.

Anyway…this is distracting from the games tomorrow and that’s my bad. I will unfortunately leave him on mute tomorrow and have the CNU guys on with nothing to complain about…other than the fact that on a day with only two games, the NCAA inexplicably put both at the exact same time!
But if you can force yourself not to check your phone or Inside Lacrosse, I think both RIT and CNU have on demand. I know CNU does as I watched the Union-Gburg game on demand after Tufts-Salisbury ended.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

The announcers for CNU/York were pretty good. The camera work is great. I watched a lot of York games this season and wish the camera work was this good. One of the announcers is an ex CNU player ( he mentioned that once or twice). They also mentioned that they would reverse roles for the second game ( play by play vs color)

Turns out the announcers had the correct score in the union game and inside lax was wrong. They finally got the score and time on the screen by the 4th

Super excited that neither York or union has beef to the finals. A new team for championship weekend.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Yea. The CNU announcers were good. A slight tilt to CNU for the York match, but what do you expect. In the Union Gettysburg game I will say, they consistently read the wrong name when calling out a player. (As in reading the #20 from Gettysburg’s name instead of the intended #20 from Union). As well as routinely calling Gettysburg “the Dutchmen.” At one point it was so prevalent, I legitimately thought I as on a audio delay. But again, unfamiliar teams, back to back games after a tough loss for their squad. What do you expect. We should be so lucky to have announcers after watching a bunch of silent game feeds across the DIII lacrosse world numerous times this year.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

I liked how there was an immediate instant replay. You don't get that on other feeds. In general the video feeds are better overall but have room for improvement.

I'm wondering if teams will be a bit sluggish today given yesterday's heat.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

BallHunt wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:55 am I liked how there was an immediate instant replay. You don't get that on other feeds. In general the video feeds are better overall but have room for improvement.

I'm wondering if teams will be a bit sluggish today given yesterday's heat.
Either way, two great games today. Next weekend will be interesting
Tactful Lax

Post by Tactful Lax »

That was the second game of the day for the Union/Gettysburg game announcers. They were in 95° heat and a press box with no ac.
charliefayispredator

Post by charliefayispredator »

The starving children in Africa weep for your Division 3 lacrosse announcing miseries.

York by 2, Tufts by 8.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

charliefayispredator wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 9:14 am The starving children in Africa weep for your Division 3 lacrosse announcing miseries.

York by 2, Tufts by 8.
Tufts by 8???😲 Wow, that is a hot take.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Give me...

York 13 - Union 12
Complete tossup. Facciponti/Paolatto battle will be really interesting to watch. I think Union might (might) be the slightly better team, but the margin is razor thin and selfishly I want another opportunity to watch Jack Michael and Ryan Kennedy play defense against either Tufts or RIT. Spartans in a thriller.

Tufts 19 - RIT 15
IMO Tufts lost this game last year in no small part because they got abused on faceoffs. RIT won 24/37, and seven RIT goals came immediately after a Montemorano FO win without Tufts touching the ball. Script is flipped this year; Spillane is good (and was effective against Bowdoin and MIT), but he got dominated by Post/Paolatto (10/34 and 9/30) in two one-goal RIT wins earlier in the season. Tufts is much better offensively than either SJF or Union. Give me the nation's best offense against a team known for its defensive stars playing for the national championship.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

He’s already gotten two different names wrong within the first ten seconds. I can’t with this guy. Just plain lazy.

Edit: how does the forum think “Kohn” is pronounced - 1. Kron 2. Crone 3. Cone

Edit 2: Bray-dull. Not Bree-Dahl. The PA guy is literally standing right next to him.

Okay now I’m done, excited for both games.
Last edited by ah23 on Sun May 22, 2022 3:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
JumboFan4

Post by JumboFan4 »

This is what you were afraid of if you’re a Tufts fan with the zone they run.
I drive a Dodge Stratus.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:20 am Yes in past years RIT has had a lot of success against zone D. It’s typically a team that has a lot of skill and finishing ability - not typically a team many coaches think they should zone.
👀

Good lord RIT is nuking the Tufts defense right now. How long do they stick with the zone?
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

York goalie hasn’t made a save yet and fogo hasn’t won a face off yet. York down 6-0
lilax

Post by lilax »

Someone tell the Tufts staff that sliding early to Canadians is a bad gameplan.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

ah23 wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 3:19 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 4:20 am Yes in past years RIT has had a lot of success against zone D. It’s typically a team that has a lot of skill and finishing ability - not typically a team many coaches think they should zone.
👀

Good lord RIT is nuking the Tufts defense right now. How long do they stick with the zone?
As usual Tufts is ignorant enough to try it. D’Annolfo is the most overrated coach in America.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

That seems...very over the top to me. They shut down Bowdoin (twice), St. John Fisher, and Salisbury playing zone. Not sure sticking with it is ignorant by any stretch of the imagination. Also, D'Annolfo is [checks NCAA stats website] 82-13 as a head coach in the best conference in the country, and IIRC 6 of those losses came in his first season. What makes him overrated?
lax1983

Post by lax1983 »

If Union and RIT are both in the natty then it would appear that the Liberty league is the best conference in the country.

RIT > Everyone else

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”