Coaching Carousel D3 2022

D3 Mens Lacrosse
camskidamski

Coaching Carousel D3 2022

Post by camskidamski »

As it comes down to the end of the year, what coaches are on the hot seat for finding a new home for next season? Any big names to get cut loose this summer?
creasecone66

Re: Coaching Carousel D3 2022

Post by creasecone66 »

Interested to see what happens with Roger Williams in Bristol, RI. Coach Kelly departed just before the season began in January, and has been run by co-interim HC's for the season. Curious if this is a gig for a nearby first assistant at a D1 school in the region or if they prefer the HC experience and find someone who has taken a bad D3 team to a decent D3 team that would look to move to a fairly middle-of-the-pack program in its conference and as a whole. Or do they go with one of the current interim guys? Living in Bristol on the other hand shouldn't be a hard sell. Not sure if there is a cushy secondary duty or if it is full-time strictly head coach, but it seems like a great gig for someone who can recruit some full pay kids to get heads and beds, keep it respectable vs WNE and Endicott, and enjoy what the Ocean State has to offer. Anyone have any intel?
EasyRider

Post by EasyRider »

Edgewood College (Madison, WI) will be open. Coach Napier moving out of area.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

EasyRider wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:35 am Edgewood College (Madison, WI) will be open. Coach Napier moving out of area.
Wasn’t he just hired?
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

I know it’s D3 and COVID interrupted their operations more than most, but when does Middlebury move away from Dave Campbell?
CrazyPeople

Post by CrazyPeople »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:47 pm I know it’s D3 and COVID interrupted their operations more than most, but when does Middlebury move away from Dave Campbell?
I feel like its very un-NESCAC to fire coaches for on field performance. Especially ones who are 2x All-American alumni in the programs most storied era. As long as the program doesn't have any off the field issues or a lower roster size, it's probably his job until he decides to walk away.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

CrazyPeople wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:01 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:47 pm I know it’s D3 and COVID interrupted their operations more than most, but when does Middlebury move away from Dave Campbell?
I feel like its very un-NESCAC to fire coaches for on field performance. Especially ones who are 2x All-American alumni in the programs most storied era. As long as the program doesn't have any off the field issues or a lower roster size, it's probably his job until he decides to walk away.
That’s a fair point. They hired Neil Sinclair who’s an alum as the hockey coach from Skidmore. His last year at Skidmore they had only won 5 or 6 games. In 7 years he’s never had a winning season at Middlebury. That was once a proud athletic department, seems they are content with mediocrity in the form of alumni nepotism.
LibertyL

Post by LibertyL »

I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few resignations/retirements and assistants taking over
this summer. As for Dave Campbell he's just having an off year- not him but the players.
They will back soon
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

LibertyL wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:26 pm I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few resignations/retirements and assistants taking over
this summer. As for Dave Campbell he's just having an off year- not him but the players.
They will back soon
Off year? It’s been this way for awhile. He’s casually run a blue blood program into the ground.

2022 7-7
2021 DNP
2020 3-0
2019 8-9
2018 9-7
2017 9-9
2016 12-7
2015 13-6
2014 8-8
2013 13-3
2012 4-9
2011 13-5
2010 13-6
2009 15-3
2008 13-3
LibertyL

Post by LibertyL »

He's got some winning seasons in there- 9 winning seasons out of 14 season
or so and a career winning percentage around 65% approx.

I will say one thing though is that he's had some pretty bad losses
recently and while I don't watch them much I did see St. Lawrence
beat them this season.

He's certainly a good guy. Most goalies are.

Regardless, the point is are they going to fire him- very
doubtful IMO as others have mentioned.
generalsfan01

Post by generalsfan01 »

I know his seat has warmed up significantly over the past few years, but is it time for McCabe to hand over the reigns to someone else at W&L. At a blue-blood program that fails to make it far into May. I think with a fresh face, W&L can become a team that is always ranked in the top 15 even during an off year. We shall see what McCabe can do over the next couple weeks as they hope to bring back home the ODAC trophy and make a run in the NCAA tournament.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

generalsfan01 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:22 pm I know his seat has warmed up significantly over the past few years, but is it time for McCabe to hand over the reigns to someone else at W&L. At a blue-blood program that fails to make it far into May. I think with a fresh face, W&L can become a team that is always ranked in the top 15 even during an off year. We shall see what McCabe can do over the next couple weeks as they hope to bring back home the ODAC trophy and make a run in the NCAA tournament.
Seems unlikely. Firing a guy off a likely at least
13 win season and an undefeated regular season championship minimum would be almost unheard of in D3. He’s also been a faculty member there for over 20 years, just seems unlikely. - I’d also be remiss to mention that it is an off year and they are likely to be ranked around 17-19 in tomorrows polls. So I think they already are at the level you believe they should be.
LibertyL

Post by LibertyL »

Very unlikely. He was the ODAC coach of the year in 2019.
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:48 pm
CrazyPeople wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:01 pm
That’s a fair point. They hired Neil Sinclair who’s an alum as the hockey coach from Skidmore. His last year at Skidmore they had only won 5 or 6 games. In 7 years he’s never had a winning season at Middlebury. That was once a proud athletic department, seems they are content with mediocrity in the form of alumni nepotism.
I get it that a lot more people are keeping up with the Joneses now than they were 20-25 years ago when Middlebury seemed to be the 1st high academic that realized it was cool to win too, but you still should be well over .500 at that place.
mdlaxdad

Post by mdlaxdad »

InsiderRoll wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:08 pm
generalsfan01 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:22 pm I know his seat has warmed up significantly over the past few years, but is it time for McCabe to hand over the reigns to someone else at W&L. At a blue-blood program that fails to make it far into May. I think with a fresh face, W&L can become a team that is always ranked in the top 15 even during an off year. We shall see what McCabe can do over the next couple weeks as they hope to bring back home the ODAC trophy and make a run in the NCAA tournament.
13 win season and an undefeated regular season championship minimum would be almost unheard of in D3. He’s also been a faculty member there for over 20 years, just seems unlikely. - I’d also be remiss to mention that it is an off year and they are likely to be ranked around 17-19 in tomorrows polls. So I think they already are at the level you believe they should be.
But if I was looking at the program over the last 10 years, I would be worried about the fact that they do not consistently win a conference that they should dominate every year. I do not think their performance in NCAAs means that they should fire him, however, if they get blown out by Lynchburg in the ODAC finals, he will have to feel some pressure next year. Might not be this year, but I believe Mccabe will be gone in the next five years. I have been impressed by their additions of Taylor Mendoza from Penn State this year as he has shaped this defense into one of the best in the country. I also have heard great things about new offensive coordinator James Daugherty who has definitely improved this offense over the last few weeks as he has took over the reigns from Mccabe. Both would be ready to take over when Mccabe eventually leaves, but I think Daugherty has the advantage with his high offensive IQ. Excited for the conference tournament as I think the semis and finals will be very competitive games.
Unclepeter

Post by Unclepeter »

mdlaxdad wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:34 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:08 pm
But if I was looking at the program over the last 10 years, I would be worried about the fact that they do not consistently win a conference that they should dominate every year. I do not think their performance in NCAAs means that they should fire him, however, if they get blown out by Lynchburg in the ODAC finals, he will have to feel some pressure next year. Might not be this year, but I believe Mccabe will be gone in the next five years. I have been impressed by their additions of Taylor Mendoza from Penn State this year as he has shaped this defense into one of the best in the country. I also have heard great things about new offensive coordinator James Daugherty who has definitely improved this offense over the last few weeks as he has took over the reigns from Mccabe. Both would be ready to take over when Mccabe eventually leaves, but I think Daugherty has the advantage with his high offensive IQ. Excited for the conference tournament as I think the semis and finals will be very competitive games.
I think James Daugherty has been a great hire for the offense that has struggled since the departure of Will Corrigan. Some close to the program have called him the "Albert Einstein of D3 lacrosse". While he does not have the lacrosse experience like Mendoza, you can tell that Daugherty has a lot of potential as he continues to rise in the coaching ranks. One can see the growth of the offense from their first few games where the offense struggled to put in more than 8 goals in a game. I assume Daugherty is the reason for the new man-up that has had a lot more success in recent games. Excited to see how he develops some of the younger players like Hillis Burns and Michael Ott over the next few years as I hope he stays with the program. If I was a recruit looking for a strong offensive program, W&L will soon become a top offense in the country as long as Daugherty is still there.
Old&InTheWay

Post by Old&InTheWay »

Is Roger Williams looking for a new coach?
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

Old&InTheWay wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:05 pm Is Roger Williams looking for a new coach?
If they aren't, they will be.
LacrosseFan33

Post by LacrosseFan33 »

boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

Early Job Openings:

Either posted or have a current interim

Edgewood - Interim - Coach has not been with the team in a month, apparently moved out of the area per previous post
Misericordia - Posted - Coach moved into a more administrative position
Oglethorpe - Posted - Coach left in fall and they have an interim in place
Roger Williams - Interim - Coach stepped down right before the season
Wooster - Interim - Coach was let go midseason

I'm sure more will be more and feel free to add

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”