2022 All-Americans

D3 Mens Lacrosse
MrLax2U

Re: 2022 All-Americans

Post by MrLax2U »

LarumVictola
Watch Leeds in the NC game from 2017 NC and you'll see. This kid was one of the best (smart & tough as nails)
My favorite Leeds play was in the 2017 semi against a Denison powerhouse lead by Liam Rooney and Spencer Butler. 31 seconds left, recalling some film footage Leeds poached a backdoor pill from Rooney to Butler that Butler would certainly have spun and ripped home sending the game into OT. Three great players; one memorable moment.
LarumVictoia

Post by LarumVictoia »

MrLax2U wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:15 am
31 seconds left, recalling some film footage Leeds poached a backdoor pill from Rooney to Butler that Butler would certainly have spun and ripped home sending the game into OT. Three great players; one memorable moment.
Yep, I remember Leeds talking about that play in the post-game press conference - hence my reference to being a "smart" player. He'd watched the film and knew Rooney was going to feed Butler when he was hugging the back pipe. Truth be told, that semi-final was probably showcasing the top two teams in the nation. Glad that one didn't go to OT.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

31 seconds left, recalling some film footage Leeds poached a backdoor pill from Rooney to Butler that Butler would certainly have spun and ripped home sending the game into OT. Three great players; one memorable moment.
LarumVictoia wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:34 pm
Yep, I remember Leeds talking about that play in the post-game press conference - hence my reference to being a "smart" player. He'd watched the film and knew Rooney was going to feed Butler when he was hugging the back pipe. Truth be told, that semi-final was probably showcasing the top two teams in the nation. Glad that one didn't go to OT.
That was a heck of a game. Two very talented (16 AAs on the field - 11 SU /5 DU) and very well coached teams. Great play by A Leeds .. he was a great defender (read under appreciated) who made a heck of a play. Saw that play live, remember the pass had a lot of heat and wondered where the ball was when it never made it through to the crease. Was completely deflated when I realized it was in the defender’s cross! Many have said that Semi was for all intents and purposes the Championship game. That 2017 Denison team was a joy to watch and we Big Red fans were/are very proud of that team. As we were/are of the 2016 team that also took the Gulls to the edge (lost in OT in Qs) on SUs way to that years Championship.

Side note and example of another AA snub that was in that 2017 Semi Final … Butler’s season stat line was 65g 17a with 0.528 SH% / 0.748 SOG% w 41 GBs and only 19 TOs in 19 games. On the way to the Semis he set and still holds the NCAA Tournament single game scoring record (all divisions) with 11 against IWU. Followed that up with 5 against Lynchburg in the Qs when Denison doubled up LC. Not bad for a Soph that missed his Fresh year to injury - so he was on no one’s radar pre season and got no love come AA time.
Last edited by Nosey Ned on Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

2laxers wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:22 pm They also have a 2nd teamer listed who is no longer playing. Maybe they assumed a graduate year, I wonder how many of those there are in the list.
If you are talking about the Steenson goalie I am hearing that there is a strong possibility that he will be back. I have also heard that Dylan Wolf will be back at York this spring.
ALaudico7

Post by ALaudico7 »

Looks like they corrected the list and took off the graduated player. "*Correction: Clayton Jones (Lynchburg) graduated and was previously listed as the second-team SSDM. Spencer Hall (Franklin & Marshall) is now the second-team SSDM, and Carter Bean (Southern Virginia) has been added as the third-team SSDM."
Slim

Post by Slim »

What the heck, no Bobby Barroll/Dickinson? He's the best ssdm in the Centennial and one of the tops in all of D3. 4-year started for the Red Devils.
Pinchnpop

Post by Pinchnpop »

Pre Season recognition is always nice, but it's a long hard season. Most would give all the individual acknowledgements in exchange to raise that trophy Memorial Day weekend.
JPAtlantic

Post by JPAtlantic »

The IL All Americans List Came out today.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... rams/58845

The most represented schools were:
York (8 players 1st through HM)
St. John Fisher (7)
Salisbury (6)
RIT (6)
Christopher Newport (4)
Tufts (4)
Cortland (4)
Union (3)
Lynchburg (3)

Not that much different than the USA Lacrosse list
York (5 players 1st through 3rd team)
St. John Fisher (4)
Christopher Newport (4)
Salisbury (4)
Tufts (3)
RIT (3)
Lynchburg (2)
Franklin & Marshall (2)
Grove City (2)

Expectations very high for all these teams.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

York sure does get a lot of love. Defensively they are good, but when you dive closer into some of these guys I’m not sure they’re actually bursting with talent.

The 1st AA goalie Jack Michael only had to play the full game 5 times last year. He was under 50% in 3 of them. And under 40% in 2.

Preseason AA attackman Harnick scored 18 of his 51pts in 3 games where score differential was 15+. Against teams with a winning record he only averages 2.2 pts/game. Hardly game changing.

Time will tell, but it’s not that surprising they can’t get to a final four and lose a sweet 16 game by 10 goals.

————————

Probably worth noting that Grove City FO guy is only 50% vs non conference teams. I don’t know what conference they are in, but I know it doesn’t have a lot of great FO men.

————————

Also a little confused how Gebhardt goes from 1st Team AA to preseason HMer?
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:20 pm ….The 1st AA goalie Jack Michael only had to play the full game 5 times last year. He was under 50% in 3 of them. And under 40% in 2…
Taking a goalie metric like save% and only acknowledging it for losses and/or the worst win kind of nullifies it as a metric.
He played 7 full games by my count. To continue the extrapolations, in their 5 games vs ranked opponents, all of which he played the full game, he held a .592 avg (including the 10 goal loss to Tufts)
There are plenty of areas of concern for York, but Jack Michael isn’t one. He is 100% worthy of this acknowledgment.
InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:20 pm …Preseason AA attackman Harnick scored 18 of his 51pts in 3 games where score differential was 15+. Against teams with a winning record he only averages 2.2 pts/game. Hardly game changing…
I agree. I want to see more out of him against top teams (like his 3 g vs #1 ranked Tufts- all in the first half) Hopefully this year, without the conference only limitations, we will see just that. It was an HM, and a preseason one at that. I’m sure you’ve already given it more thought than him. Use it as fuel.
InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:20 pm Time will tell, but it’s not that surprising they can’t get to a final four and lose a sweet 16 game by 10 goals.
:roll: We can agree on “time will tell.”
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
D3LAXLOVER

Post by D3LAXLOVER »

FannOLax wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:15 pm USA Lax Mag used to have a writer who specialized in D3, but he left maybe 4 or 5 years ago. This AA list was done by "staff," whatever that means. Pre-season AA is especially hit-and-miss in D3. They've taken down at least some of their previous Pre-Season D3 AA articles, but I recall some very glaring omissions based on final post-season AAs.
Agree, honestly IMO USA Lax Mag D3 takes are worthless, rankings are always bias and very rarely included teams that are up and coming or under dogs. Inside lacrosse has done a good job but does sometimes play a NESCA bias, still over good.
D3LAXLOVER

Post by D3LAXLOVER »

InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:20 pm York sure does get a lot of love. Defensively they are good, but when you dive closer into some of these guys I’m not sure they’re actually bursting with talent.

The 1st AA goalie Jack Michael only had to play the full game 5 times last year. He was under 50% in 3 of them. And under 40% in 2.

Preseason AA attackman Harnick scored 18 of his 51pts in 3 games where score differential was 15+. Against teams with a winning record he only averages 2.2 pts/game. Hardly game changing.

Time will tell, but it’s not that surprising they can’t get to a final four and lose a sweet 16 game by 10 goals.

————————

Probably worth noting that Grove City FO guy is only 50% vs non conference teams. I don’t know what conference they are in, but I know it doesn’t have a lot of great FO men.

————————

Also a little confused how Gebhardt goes from 1st Team AA to preseason HMer?
Agree the Grove city selection is interesting- looked at their schedule appears they have some challenging OOC games- CNU, Denison, CC all opportunities for him prove himself and show that it wasn't a bust selection
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

D3LAXLOVER wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:01 pm
FannOLax wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:15 pm USA Lax Mag used to have a writer who specialized in D3, but he left maybe 4 or 5 years ago. This AA list was done by "staff," whatever that means. Pre-season AA is especially hit-and-miss in D3. They've taken down at least some of their previous Pre-Season D3 AA articles, but I recall some very glaring omissions based on final post-season AAs.
Agree, honestly IMO USA Lax Mag D3 takes are worthless, rankings are always bias and very rarely included teams that are up and coming or under dogs. Inside lacrosse has done a good job but does sometimes play a NESCA bias, still over good.
It looks like both York and StJF each have more selections than the entire NESCAC.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
D3LAXLOVER

Post by D3LAXLOVER »

BallHunt wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:19 pm
It looks like both York and StJF each have more selections than the entire NESCAC.
was talking historically, should have clarified. sources tell me its a new guy running D3 related things over at IL
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

D3LAXLOVER wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:34 pm
was talking historically, should have clarified. sources tell me its a new guy running D3 related things over at IL
DI gets the hype of course, but DIII is where the vast majority of players go. It would seem to deserve much more and better coverage. IL tries somewhat but I am sure resources limit the attention paid.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
D3LAXLOVER

Post by D3LAXLOVER »

BallHunt wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:01 pm
DI gets the hype of course, but DIII is where the vast majority of players go. It would seem to deserve much more and better coverage. IL tries somewhat but I am sure resources limit the attention paid.
I agree 100%. D3 has a lot of talent and the top schools have kids who are d1 caliber but, chose a smaller school or wanted to go d3
UpperCorner22

Post by UpperCorner22 »

The entire NESCAC really hasn’t played for two years... give it a year and NESCAC will once again dominate the list...
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

I think we would all love some better coverage from the “major” lacrosse media outlets. But reality is compared to other sports D3 lacrosse gets significantly more coverage and exposure from lacrosse media than other D3 sports do relative to their counterparts
HomerCoach

Post by HomerCoach »

JPAtlantic wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:55 pm The IL All Americans List Came out today.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... rams/58845

The most represented schools were:
York (8 players 1st through HM)
St. John Fisher (7)
Salisbury (6)
RIT (6)
Christopher Newport (4)
Tufts (4)
Cortland (4)
Union (3)
Lynchburg (3)

Not that much different than the USA Lacrosse list
York (5 players 1st through 3rd team)
St. John Fisher (4)
Christopher Newport (4)
Salisbury (4)
Tufts (3)
RIT (3)
Lynchburg (2)
Franklin & Marshall (2)
Grove City (2)

Expectations very high for all these teams.
I was unaware that the Centennial Conference discontinued lacrosse...oh wait, there's F&M.
Laxaholic123

Post by Laxaholic123 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:08 am
I think we would all love some better coverage from the “major” lacrosse media outlets. But reality is compared to other sports D3 lacrosse gets significantly more coverage and exposure from lacrosse media than other D3 sports do relative to their counterparts
I agree with this take a lot. Even with lacrosse merchandise Salisbury, Stevenson, RIT and other D3 teams will be included in promotions that also involve D1 teams. Of course I would love to see more D3 merch/ Promotions/ Videos, I understand it doesn't always make financial sense all the time

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”