USA South 22

D3 Mens Lacrosse
River Donkey

USA South 22

Post by River Donkey »

Anyone have any insight or thoughts about the conference for the upcoming season?
Southern Virginia joins the conference this year and has to be viewed as a favorite along with Pfeiffer with the rest of the conference playing catch-up.
The split conference and Covid cancellations from last year doesn’t really give a good reference to as ‘22 season will shape up.
boredatwork

Re: USA South 22

Post by boredatwork »

Is Jared Nelson back for Pfeiffer? If not they have lost 3 of their top 4 scorers, and the one they have coming back had an insane number of goals (86) but have to believe he was a beneficiary of having a 90 assist guy throwing the ball to him. If he's back they will be up there, if not I may slide Piedmont in there as a possible second team. I have a hard time seeing SVU not being the top dog for the foreseeable future there though.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

boredatwork wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:16 pm Is Jared Nelson back for Pfeiffer? If not they have lost 3 of their top 4 scorers, and the one they have coming back had an insane number of goals (86) but have to believe he was a beneficiary of having a 90 assist guy throwing the ball to him. If he's back they will be up there, if not I may slide Piedmont in there as a possible second team. I have a hard time seeing SVU not being the top dog for the foreseeable future there though.
From what I’ve heard, Nelson will be back for ‘22.
2laxers

Post by 2laxers »

River Donkey wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:04 pm
boredatwork wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:16 pm Is Jared Nelson back for Pfeiffer? If not they have lost 3 of their top 4 scorers, and the one they have coming back had an insane number of goals (86) but have to believe he was a beneficiary of having a 90 assist guy throwing the ball to him. If he's back they will be up there, if not I may slide Piedmont in there as a possible second team. I have a hard time seeing SVU not being the top dog for the foreseeable future there though.
From what I’ve heard, Nelson will be back for ‘22.
So he is playing his 6th year, if that is the case he will will hold the NCAA assist record forever. No chance someone is breaking that when they only have at most 5 years playing and that ends when the 2020 recruiting class is finished playing in 2025. Edited to add - there may maybe someone in D3 who also plays 6 years as the current juniors and seniors have the ability to play 6 years as well.
sipecoth

Post by sipecoth »

Depending on what SVU brings back, they should be in the top 2 or 3 for sure. If they get everyone back, then I believe they would be the favorite. Heard Nelson is coming back, so Pfeiffer will be tough.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

This is my best guess:
1. Pfeiffer
2. SVU
3. Piedmont
4. Methodist
5. Huntingdon
6. Greensboro
7. William Peace
8. Averett
9. Lagrange
10. Brevard
3, and 4 is a toss up, and the last three is anyone’s guess.
southlaxfacts

Post by southlaxfacts »

No one in the USA South has played a schedule as daunting as what SVU is accustomed to. They have to be the overwhelming favorites over Pfeiffer even if Nelson comes back.

If Nelson is back, that SVU vs. Pfeiffer game will be one to watch. Both teams score a ton of goals.
ALaudico7

Post by ALaudico7 »

Jared Nelson is not on Pfeiffer's roster and they were doubled up in their first game by Birmingham Southern. I would assume it's Southern Virginia's conference to lose at this point
sipecoth

Post by sipecoth »

ALaudico7 wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:40 am Jared Nelson is not on Pfeiffer's roster and they were doubled up in their first game by Birmingham Southern. I would assume it's Southern Virginia's conference to lose at this point
SVU did lose their leading scorer in Danemann, but offensively should be pretty good. Defense will be the question mark for them. SVU historically played a really tough in-conference C2C schedule, and hunted OOC competition of the same level.

They open at Hampden Sydney tomorrow, so we'll see what they have to offer.
droliver

Post by droliver »

Scrappy SAA conference neighbor, Birmingham Southern, knocks off both Pfeiffer and Piedmont relatively easy this week. Southern Virginia now seems the clear favorite to be best in conference
PapaDGee

Post by PapaDGee »

With a few Conference games under everyone’s belt and the preseason #1 and #2 teams playing Saturday, it seems like a good time to start discussing who will be Automatic Qualifier out of the USA South.
Sitting atop the conference at 3-0 are Southern Virginia, Pfeiffer and Greensboro. At least one of those teams will drop to 3-1 on Saturday. Greensboro plays 1-2 Huntingdon and should remain undefeated. The game of the week (possibly of the regular season) will certainly be Pfeiffer (7-1) at SVU (6-2). There has been a lot of speculation about how these two teams would fair this season after losing a lot of firepower to graduation. Pfeiffer lost Nelson, who seemed to distribute Assists in his sleep while SVU lost Danneman, certainly one of the best one-on-one scorers for the last couple of years in Division III. Couple that with the loss of another starting attackman (Westcott), the starting LSM and Goalie from last year’s squad and SVU has some key positions to fill. Coach Lamb has moved his son back to Attack (from SSDM where he played the last 2 years) and is starting a Freshman along with Schmidt on the Attack line. SVU has a JUCO transfer who has taken over the LSM spot nicely and last years backup Goalie along with a Freshman have been pretty solid between the pipes. (They also have 2 SSDM’s who play on the man-up squad)
Last years game between these two resulted in a 3 goal win for SVU after leading by 6 at the end of the 3rd quarter. They have no common opponents this year, but SOS certainly has to fall in favor of SVU. In three conference games, Lamb has cleared the benches early in the second half, which is a unique situation for SVU compared to previous years and will ultimately increase their depth. Pfeiffer’s only loss is to Birmingham Southern (who also beat Piedmont and LaGrange and William Peace) but also lost to Centre who the Knights beat 14-11. While Pfeiffer has had their way in this conference the last few years, I think SVU will just be too much for them in Buena Vista.
I don’t know a lot about the other teams in the conference, but I think the biggest surprise will be LaGrange. They were picked to finish 9th in the preseason poll, but I think they have a good shot of finishing in the top 5, possibly as high as #3. How I see the season finishing out:
1 SVU
2-3 Pfeiffer and Piedmont
4-7 Lagrange, Greensboro, William Peace and Methodist
8-10 Averett, Brevard and Huntingdon
sipecoth

Post by sipecoth »

Looks like it's Southern Virginia as the clear favorite after beating Pfeiffer 17-8 yesterday. Looks like the offense hasn't lost too much, even with the loss of Danemann's 5.6 points per game.

CNU is coming in on Weds to Buena Vista, and will tell everyone exactly where this team stands relative to the best of the best in D3.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

sipecoth wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:31 pm Looks like it's Southern Virginia as the clear favorite after beating Pfeiffer 17-8 yesterday. Looks like the offense hasn't lost too much, even with the loss of Danemann's 5.6 points per game.

CNU is coming in on Weds to Buena Vista, and will tell everyone exactly where this team stands relative to the best of the best in D3.
CNU:

Fogo very good
O-mids very fast
Attack sneaky and fast
Defense pressures and recovers very well
Goalie gets a piece of most shots

Bottom line is they're firing on al cylinders.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
PapaDGee

Post by PapaDGee »

BallHunt wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:13 am
sipecoth wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:31 pm Looks like it's Southern Virginia as the clear favorite after beating Pfeiffer 17-8 yesterday. Looks like the offense hasn't lost too much, even with the loss of Danemann's 5.6 points per game.

CNU:

Fogo very good
O-mids very fast
Attack sneaky and fast

This game certainly looks like a blowout on paper. One could suggest that this is a “trap” game for CNU with Salisbury looming on the hrizon, but that game is still 10 days out after this one is played. These two teams played in the C2C semis last year with CNU winning by 3, when SVU held CNU to 2 second half goals (one being an empty netter) and had all the momentum before running out of time. Are these the same two teams as last year? Not even close. CNU has stepped it up a notch (or two) and I see they have taken a page from the SVU playbook and implemented a 10-man ride. SVU is a more well rounded team than last year and is spreading the wealth more on offense. Both teams have improved as the season has progressed.
If SVU can slow CNU out of the gate, they might be able to keep this one competitive. Any lapse, even for just a few minutes, could spell disaster for the Knights. CNU depth could be the difference in a close game.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

PapaDGee wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:22 pm
BallHunt wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:13 am

CNU:

Fogo very good
O-mids very fast
Attack sneaky and fast

This game certainly looks like a blowout on paper. One could suggest that this is a “trap” game for CNU with Salisbury looming on the hrizon, but that game is still 10 days out after this one is played. These two teams played in the C2C semis last year with CNU winning by 3, when SVU held CNU to 2 second half goals (one being an empty netter) and had all the momentum before running out of time. Are these the same two teams as last year? Not even close. CNU has stepped it up a notch (or two) and I see they have taken a page from the SVU playbook and implemented a 10-man ride. SVU is a more well rounded team than last year and is spreading the wealth more on offense. Both teams have improved as the season has progressed.
If SVU can slow CNU out of the gate, they might be able to keep this one competitive. Any lapse, even for just a few minutes, could spell disaster for the Knights. CNU depth could be the difference in a close game.
CNU 26-9
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

SVU certainly got my attention last season. They are not close to what they were last year. CNU is also a different team but a much better one with I believe 10 fifth year players. CNU will win the margin will depend on how long starters remain in the game. Can SVU continue to move the program forward the next few years winning their AQ certainly would help. Like Grove you can recruit claiming you get to the ncaa tournament
sipecoth

Post by sipecoth »

The Knights lost a ton of points, and their goalie from last year. That said, they did get back several key seniors. The offense is more balanced, and the defense is improved.

These two teams know each other well, having played 1-2 games per year since 2014. Prior to last year, their closest game was 5 goals. Last year they lost to CNU by 10 and 6 in the regular season, and then 3 in the playoffs. It was the first time in the series history that SVU was relevant late in the 4th quarter of a game.

SVU causes a lot of chaos and pressure with their style of play, and their ride. Most teams are not prepared for it. That's what got them back in to the playoff game last year.

That said, CNU to win big is the logical choice. It will not surprise me if CNU wins 20-10. But it will also not surprise me if SVU is in the game in the 4th quarter with a chance to do something special.
Oaklaxgod

Post by Oaklaxgod »

sipecoth wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:03 pm The Knights lost a ton of points, and their goalie from last year. That said, they did get back several key seniors. The offense is more balanced, and the defense is improved.

These two teams know each other well, having played 1-2 games per year since 2014. Prior to last year, their closest game was 5 goals. Last year they lost to CNU by 10 and 6 in the regular season, and then 3 in the playoffs. It was the first time in the series history that SVU was relevant late in the 4th quarter of a game.

SVU causes a lot of chaos and pressure with their style of play, and their ride. Most teams are not prepared for it. That's what got them back in to the playoff game last year.

That said, CNU to win big is the logical choice. It will not surprise me if CNU wins 20-10. But it will also not surprise me if SVU is in the game in the 4th quarter with a chance to do something special.
Very close score prediction! CNU takes it 22-10. After a couple back and forth goals by CNU and SVU, CNU goes on a 7 goal run. No doubt SVU should take the USA South Championship and find their way into the NCAA Tournament
southlaxfacts

Post by southlaxfacts »

Conference tournament is set

#1 SVU vs. Winner of #4 Greensboro vs. #5 William Peace (won 3 way tie breaker over LaGrange & Methodist)

#2 Piedmont vs. #3 Pfeiffer

SVU seems to be the lock to win.
PapaDGee

Post by PapaDGee »

USA South Tournament Final: Southern VIrginia University 13 Pfeiffer 11

It was a much better game than the regular season matchup, and while the Knights only spotted the Falcons a 2 goal lead early in this game, they weren’t able to put them away until late. A wet and rainy day on the turf seemed to effect both teams and slowed down the scoring. SVU entered the 4th with a 4 goal lead and while the officials seemed to want to keep it close, SVU prevailed after overcoming a couple of mental mistakes. Pfeiffer kept it classy by calling a timeout and asking for a stick check of SVU’s FOGO with 18 seconds left, down by 2. (It wasn’t successful)

Tennison Schmidt was named Tournament MVP after a 10 point game against Greensboro on Friday and scoring 5 goals today. (He now holds the SVU single season scoring record with 107 points)

Is it just me, or do the All-Conference awards need to change? Why not add an award for Conference MVP and FOGO as well as the Offensive, Defensive and Rookie of the year awards? When the defensive player of the year goes to a FOGO, it results in no “defenders” actually receiving an award in the conference…just an idea

SVU now awaits to find out when, where and who they will play in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. Good luck to the Knights!

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”