SUNYAC 2022

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Olaxfan

SUNYAC 2022

Post by Olaxfan »

Preseason Rankings for Sunyac. Top of the head forecast
1 Geneseo (Fiorentino's coaching pushes them past Cortland)
2 Cortland
3 Oswego (i know this is bit of a stretch based on last season)
4,5 Potsdam and Oneonta tie (with the edge to Potsdam, Oneonta has more talent but the horrendous coaching holds them back)
6 Plattsburgh (Could leap frog Oneonta, lost both games last year mainly due to Oneonta's goalie)
7 Brockport
8 New Paltz
Last edited by Olaxfan on Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richard

Re: SUNYAC 2021

Post by richard »

Is Fiorentino still at Geneseo?
InsiderRoll

Re: SUNYAC 2021

Post by InsiderRoll »

richard wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:03 pm Is Fiorentino still at Geneseo?
No
Olaxfan

Re: SUNYAC 2022

Post by Olaxfan »

Preseason Rankings for Sunyac adjusted for the absence of Fiorentino at Geneseo. Top of the head forecast
1 Cortland
2 Geneseo (new coach hopefully he learned under Fiorentino and keeps a good thing going)
4,5 Potsdam and Oneonta tie (with the edge to Potsdam, Oneonta has more talent but the horrendous coaching holds them back)
6 Plattsburgh (Could leap frog Oneonta, lost both games last year mainly due to Oneonta's goalie)
7 Brockport
8 New Paltz
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

Olaxfan wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:46 pm Preseason Rankings for Sunyac adjusted for the absence of Fiorentino at Geneseo. Top of the head forecast
1 Cortland
2 Geneseo (new coach hopefully he learned under Fiorentino and keeps a good thing going)
7 Brockport
8 New Paltz
Cortland did pretty well adding some JUCO talent this past summer that I’ve heard is meshing well this fall. I’ve also heard they may have added a few mid year transfers. It’ll be interesting to see if Geneseo has added any key pieces to help get them over the edge against Cortland. If there’s one thing we’ve learned last year is Geneseo struggled at the FO X they’ll need to clean that up if they want to be successful.

I would put New Paltz ahead of Brockport word up in Section 5 is that Brockports Coach is out after this season. So we could see some guys jump ship at semester.. or even worse Coach check out knowing this is his last year.
Collegelaxguy16

Post by Collegelaxguy16 »

StuckinD2 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 8:51 pm
Olaxfan wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:46 pm Preseason Rankings for Sunyac adjusted for the absence of Fiorentino at Geneseo. Top of the head forecast
1 Cortland
7 Brockport
8 New Paltz
Cortland did pretty well adding some JUCO talent this past summer that I’ve heard is meshing well this fall. I’ve also heard they may have added a few mid year transfers. It’ll be interesting to see if Geneseo has added any key pieces to help get them over the edge against Cortland. If there’s one thing we’ve learned last year is Geneseo struggled at the FO X they’ll need to clean that up if they want to be successful.

I would put New Paltz ahead of Brockport word up in Section 5 is that Brockports Coach is out after this season. So we could see some guys jump ship at semester.. or even worse Coach check out knowing this is his last year.

I think the struggles with Geneseo last year at the faceoff X came down to a few guys not on the team due to covid related issues. They will be a different monster from the faceoff X bringing back their two tops guys who are seniors. I think that Fiorentino left the team in a good spot with some solid transfers and lots of talented freshman. After watching the SUNYAC championship game last year, Cortland had the game of their lives in the crease. Geneseo had so many shots blocked and the goalie played lights out. I'm really excited to watch Geneseo and Cortlan battle it out this year. Oswego is an interesting case. Their goalie was very talented, much due to their goalie coach Matt Gill... He is now goalie coach at LIU. I would put Oneonta at 3 over Potsdam before seeing the first game. Oneonta edged them out before the semifinal game against Geneseo. I would put Potsdam at 4. (Don't know much about them as of right now). I have Brockport at 6. I think that they find a way to win games where everyone counts them out. They have a really strong senior class and their coach was featured on Inside Lacrosse (I believe... if not it was a major lacrosse outlet) which could attract some recruits. At 7 I have Plattsburgh. I really don't know the future of this team. They have had a lot of turnover the last few years, but you can never count those guys out and it isn't easy playing there when it's cold and windy. At 8 I have New Paltz. I am so excited that the SUNYAC was able to expand. Love to see what the future looks like for these guys.

1 Geneseo
2 Cortland
3 Oneonta
4 Potsdam
5 Oswego
6 Brockport
7 Plattsburgh
8 New Paltz

I know that the players see these and hope that they take this with a grain a salt no matter what the rankings. Looking forward to you guys finally having a full schedule (Hopefully)
Olaxfan

Post by Olaxfan »

Actually it was Potsdam that edged out Oneonta in double overtime just before the semi-finals. But it appears that Huiatt may not be playing for Potsdam as a grad student in 2022 and he was their offense. Huiatt had 5 goals and 6 assists in the double OT win over Oneonta including the game tying goal and the game winning goal. Which begs the question of whether Oneonta's talent can overcome their poor coaching and get them back in the playoffs.
Collegelaxguy16

I was describing the rankings in the SUNYAC tournament. Cortland #1 played #2 which was Potsdam and Oneonta #1 played Geneseo #2. I agree with you about Potsdam being a one trick pony and not having him back will create opportunites for different guys to step up hopefully.

Also got word that Geneseo has 4 candidates they have narrowed down to and should be expecting an announcement soon
Vermont25

Post by Vermont25 »

Where did the Geneseo coach go?
Cortland is still king, they just reload never rebuild. (Would love to see them loose but lets be real)
Oneonta lost a lot of seniors, so not sure how much talent is still present.
Oswego was in tough spot last year, expect more from them this year.
Platty, will be tough but Coach May was a big part of the success they had.
New Paltz needs more time.
Potsdam was #11 if he is not playing they will be near the bottom. Is it his sixth year?
Brockport gets athletes so you never know with them.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

Vermont25 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:00 am Where did the Geneseo coach go?
Cortland is still king, they just reload never rebuild. (Would love to see them loose but lets be real)
Potsdam was #11 if he is not playing they will be near the bottom. Is it his sixth year?
Geneseo coach left coaching.
Olaxfan

Post by Olaxfan »

Vermont25 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:00 am Where did the Geneseo coach go?
Agree Cortland remains a solid #1 in SUNYAC with Fiorentino leaving Geneseo. Oneonta did lose some talent with the graduating seniors but it was mostly last year's junior and sophomore class that carried the team they will miss #8, 11, 19 and #55 the most. Oneonta's biggest issue is their coaching or lack there of. It would be the 6th year for #11 at Potsdam if he plays.
Collegelaxguy16

It is rumored that Geneseo has their next coach! Can't wait for the announcement!
Collegelaxguy16

Collegelaxguy16 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:38 am It is rumored that Geneseo has their next coach! Can't wait for the announcement!
Coach from Oswego will be the next head coach at Geneseo. Should be an official announcement very soon. Possibly as early as next week. Congrats coach
Olaxfan

Post by Olaxfan »

Geneseo announced it today Bezek is their new coach. https://www.geneseoknights.com/sports/m ... 0104itn86p
SunyLaxFan

Post by SunyLaxFan »

1 Cortland
7 Brockport
8 New Paltz
With Fiorentino out, Cortland is definitely taking the 1 spot. Oswego at the 3 and Brockport at the 7? I don’t see how this is even possible with last year’s performance. If Brockport wasn’t stuck in the western conference, they would have easily been the 3 seed in playoffs. I think they proved this in their final loss to Geneseo by 3, where genny was looking to secure home field advantage.

Potsdam is losing their most effective player at attack, and Oneonta proved they could not play with teams such as Cortland and Geneseo, even as the 1 seed in the East. These are obviously just preseason rankings, but I have Oswego, Potsdam, Plattsburgh and New Paltz as my bottom 4 this season.

Oneonta will be seeing better competition in the SUNYAC this year, but still showed promise last year which secures them the 4 spot.

And again, after Brockport handled Oswego both games last year, and stuck with Geneseo in their final matchup, I just have to have them where they should have been last season. Regardless of what coaching speculations may be in place, they have an incredibly experienced senior class with their face off man returning, starting goalie, a majority of midfielders and a defensive midfielder, along with most of their defense. This is the year for Brockport to show up, because they will be a new, young team in the near future.

Cortland And Geneseo will hopefully be a battle, pending the coaching at Geneseo. But very excited to see how these teams perform against eachother.

1. Cortland
2. Geneseo
3. Brockport
4. Oneonta
5. Oswego
6. Potsdam
7. Plattsburgh
8. New Platz
laxkid82

Post by laxkid82 »

Olaxfan wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:46 pm
Cortland And Geneseo will hopefully be a battle, pending the coaching at Geneseo. But very excited to see how these teams perform against eachother.

1. Cortland
2. Geneseo

I think Cortland wins their game(s) against Genny handily this season. Downgrade at the coaching position is not what Genny needed to get over the hump.
CrazyPeople

Post by CrazyPeople »

laxkid82 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:51 pm

1. Cortland
2. Geneseo

I think Cortland wins their game(s) against Genny handily this season. Downgrade at the coaching position is not what Genny needed to get over the hump.
Curious what makes you qualify the Geneseo hire as a downgrade? Who did Fiorentino beat that or what did he do to really give that impression? Beating an extremely weak Cortland team last year in a COVID year doesn't count in my book. They havent beat anyone worth their salt since he arrived.

FWIW - I do think Cortland will be much improved this year, they loaded up with quality transfers and do agree they will win the SUNYAC with little in their path. Still won't have the ability to overcome an RIT or SJFC though in NCAAs.
Collegelaxguy16

CrazyPeople wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:49 am

1. Cortland
2. Geneseo

Curious what makes you qualify the Geneseo hire as a downgrade? Who did Fiorentino beat that or what did he do to really give that impression? Beating an extremely weak Cortland team last year in a COVID year doesn't count in my book. They havent beat anyone worth their salt since he arrived.

FWIW - I do think Cortland will be much improved this year, they loaded up with quality transfers and do agree they will win the SUNYAC with little in their path. Still won't have the ability to overcome an RIT or SJFC though in NCAAs.

2018: Geneseo beat SJFC. Granted they weren't ranked but still they were a top 25 team the next year
2019: Lost to Ithaca by 2 (who was ranked), lost to St. Lawrence by 3 or 4 (who was ranked), lost to RIT by 6 (Who was ranked)
2020: Beat Ithaca, beat Balwin Wallace who is competitive in the OAC. Lost to St. Lawrence by 2 (Who was ranked)
2021: Lost 10-12 players to covid issues for the whole season (Including the two starting faceoff guys), beat Cortland, lost to a good Fisher team with 10 days of practice (Fisher was ranked and had played games already), lost to Cortland by 1 with a backup goalie who was a senior who joined the team in the fall after not playing since his senior year of high school. Then lost to Cortland again with what looked like a hockey game the way Geneseo hit defenders with shots and the goalie playing the game of his life

I understand if you think the coaching change will make a difference but if you think Geneseo doesn't have the potential to become a good team with a serious threat to Cortland, I think you're crazy. They got all the guys back from the Covid list and this team could look even better than last year. In my opinion, it's Cortland and Geneseo fighting it out for the conference. (Only way it's any different is if coaching takes a while to get going). I would be afraid to say that anyone is that close to those two. I love the respect that you're giving Oneonta and Brockport but let's be honest here they have an uphill battle right now. I love Brockport's senior class who has some talent but they aren't there yet solely based off last year
CrazyPeople

Post by CrazyPeople »

Collegelaxguy16 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:35 pm

1. Cortland
2. Geneseo

2018: Geneseo beat SJFC. Granted they weren't ranked but still they were a top 25 team the next year
2019: Lost to Ithaca by 2 (who was ranked), lost to St. Lawrence by 3 or 4 (who was ranked), lost to RIT by 6 (Who was ranked)
2020: Beat Ithaca, beat Balwin Wallace who is competitive in the OAC. Lost to St. Lawrence by 2 (Who was ranked)
2021: Lost 10-12 players to covid issues for the whole season (Including the two starting faceoff guys), beat Cortland, lost to a good Fisher team with 10 days of practice (Fisher was ranked and had played games already), lost to Cortland by 1 with a backup goalie who was a senior who joined the team in the fall after not playing since his senior year of high school. Then lost to Cortland again with what looked like a hockey game the way Geneseo hit defenders with shots and the goalie playing the game of his life

I understand if you think the coaching change will make a difference but if you think Geneseo doesn't have the potential to become a good team with a serious threat to Cortland, I think you're crazy. They got all the guys back from the Covid list and this team could look even better than last year. In my opinion, it's Cortland and Geneseo fighting it out for the conference. (Only way it's any different is if coaching takes a while to get going). I would be afraid to say that anyone is that close to those two. I love the respect that you're giving Oneonta and Brockport but let's be honest here they have an uphill battle right now. I love Brockport's senior class who has some talent but they aren't there yet solely based off last year
Some confusion I think because I mostly agree with you, but

- Losing to ranked teams by a few is still losing
- Coaching WILL make a difference and for that reason Geneseo has the potential to continue to become a good team.
- It most definitely is a Geneseo and Cortland only race. I have zero confidence in Oneonta or Brockport (never said I did though).
- Cortland isnt anywhere near a good team either though. They havent beat anyone that matters in a while. But I still think they win this conference without much effort (outside of Geneseo games being quality).
Collegelaxguy16

CrazyPeople wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:16 pm
Collegelaxguy16 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:35 pm

1. Cortland
2. Geneseo

Some confusion I think because I mostly agree with you, but

- Losing to ranked teams by a few is still losing
- Coaching WILL make a difference and for that reason Geneseo has the potential to continue to become a good team.
- It most definitely is a Geneseo and Cortland only race. I have zero confidence in Oneonta or Brockport (never said I did though).
- Cortland isnt anywhere near a good team either though. They havent beat anyone that matters in a while. But I still think they win this conference without much effort (outside of Geneseo games being quality).

Sorry I was responding with you about the post from Laxkid82. I think that it's hard to get good lacrosse players to schools where there hasn't been success in the past but I think Geneseo just did that and can keep that up. Cortland losing to Geneseo last year was one of the biggest steps for the Geneseo program. Coaching can always be an issue but you have to remember that Coach Bezek understands how the SUNYAC works. He knows that Geneseo has a great education and equal success in athletics. Kids will at least consider Geneseo a school when they are deciding. It used to work that every single kid that was pretty decent in high school and wanted a state school experience at the D3 level would choose Cortland 9 times out of 10. Now I think that has shifted a bit to 7 our of 10 or maybe even 6 over another SUNYAC school such as Geneseo or Brockport etc. I am so excited for this year for all teams. Shifting in coaches is always exciting to see how it plays out.

On the other hand, seasons should start within the next 2 to 3 weeks which is super exciting

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”