D3 Mens Lacrosse
Olaxfan

Re: SUNYAC 2022

Post by Olaxfan »

Trust me Owens earned that title.
HappyGilmore

Post by HappyGilmore »

Olaxfan wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:03 pm Congratulations to New Paltz on their first Sunyac win over Oneonta. Credit to coach Owens for being the worst lax coach in Sunyac history. What a clown.
You have to give him credit he plans a great Spring
Break trip.
Whatyagonnado

Post by Whatyagonnado »

Olaxfan wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:00 pm Trust me Owens earned that title.
Do you still hate him?
Whatyagonnado

Post by Whatyagonnado »

Now that we know who’s playing who. Which team has a better chance of pulling a first round upset? The no depth injury riddled Golden Eagles or the resurgent Red Dragons?
SunyLaxFan

Post by SunyLaxFan »

Whatyagonnado wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:21 pm Now that we know who’s playing who. Which team has a better chance of pulling a first round upset? The no depth injury riddled Golden Eagles or the resurgent Red Dragons?
I really want to say that Brockport can make a run, but they really underperformed in their first matchups against Cortland and Geneseo. Doesn't help that they have multiple injured players... going to be interesting to see. I don't think Oneonta can play with Cortland. First matchup between them is telling enough.
SunyLaxFan

Post by SunyLaxFan »

Now that the regular season SUNYAC games are over, and the teams are in, I'm curious to who everyone thinks the top players from this years conference are. I've been putting a list together as the games were happening each week regarding who I believe deserve all-conference honors (Obviously without post-season in mind). Let me know if I am missing any big names (I'm sure I am) or if some should not be on the list...

Midfield:
Troy Morris (Cortland)
Zak Jones (Cortland)
Brandon Stiles (Cortland)
Sean Byrne (Geneseo)
Drew Liguori (Geneseo)
Rocco Santillo (Brockport)
Gavin Elston (Oswego)
Stephen Kane (Plattsburgh)

Attack:
Kevin Cook (Geneseo)
Dante Yacavone (Cortland)
Pat Doyen (Cortland)
Pat Sheridan (Brockport)
Jack Peterson (Brockport)
Dean Cannon (Oneonta)
John Reese (New Paltz)

Defense:
Justin Wainwright (Cortland)
Dominick Natalie (Cortland)
Trevor Bollinger (Geneseo)
Ryan Nicholson (Oneonta)
Justin Rocovich (Plattsburgh)
Luke Conway (Brockport)
Evan Coleman (Oswego)

LSM:
Aidan Fitzgerald (Brockport)
Jacob Rivers (Cortland)
Lucas Kollmer (Geneseo)

SSDM:
Max Riley (Brockport)
Matt Amato (Cortland)

Faceoff:
Ethan Stiles (Brockport)
Ryan Lee (Geneseo)
Logan Prescott (Oswego)

Goalies:
Mark Pav (Geneseo)
Travis Wagner (Cortland)
John Felice (Brockport)
Whatyagonnado

Post by Whatyagonnado »

SunyLaxFan wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:39 pm
Olaxfan wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:46 pm Preseason Rankings for Sunyac adjusted for the absence of Fiorentino at Geneseo. Top of the head forecast
1 Cortland
2 Geneseo (new coach hopefully he learned under Fiorentino and keeps a good thing going)
3 Oswego (i know this is bit of a stretch based on last season)
4,5 Potsdam and Oneonta tie (with the edge to Potsdam, Oneonta has more talent but the horrendous coaching holds them back)
6 Plattsburgh (Could leap frog Oneonta, lost both games last year mainly due to Oneonta's goalie)
7 Brockport
8 New Paltz
With Fiorentino out, Cortland is definitely taking the 1 spot. Oswego at the 3 and Brockport at the 7? I don’t see how this is even possible with last year’s performance. If Brockport wasn’t stuck in the western conference, they would have easily been the 3 seed in playoffs. I think they proved this in their final loss to Geneseo by 3, where genny was looking to secure home field advantage.

Potsdam is losing their most effective player at attack, and Oneonta proved they could not play with teams such as Cortland and Geneseo, even as the 1 seed in the East. These are obviously just preseason rankings, but I have Oswego, Potsdam, Plattsburgh and New Paltz as my bottom 4 this season.

Oneonta will be seeing better competition in the SUNYAC this year, but still showed promise last year which secures them the 4 spot.

And again, after Brockport handled Oswego both games last year, and stuck with Geneseo in their final matchup, I just have to have them where they should have been last season. Regardless of what coaching speculations may be in place, they have an incredibly experienced senior class with their face off man returning, starting goalie, a majority of midfielders and a defensive midfielder, along with most of their defense. This is the year for Brockport to show up, because they will be a new, young team in the near future.

Cortland And Geneseo will hopefully be a battle, pending the coaching at Geneseo. But very excited to see how these teams perform against eachother.

1. Cortland
2. Geneseo
3. Brockport
4. Oneonta
5. Oswego
6. Potsdam
7. Plattsburgh
8. New Platz
Nice Job.. You nailed it!
Olaxfan

Post by Olaxfan »

Whatyagonnado wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:16 pm
Olaxfan wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 11:00 pm Trust me Owens earned that title.
Do you still hate him?
Do I still think he's a terrible coach? Yes. Hate? No. Backing into playoffs with a 3-4 conference record (4-10 overall) to get slaughtered in the first round by Cortland, isn't going to change my mind or overcome his years of horrendous coaching.
Olaxfan

Post by Olaxfan »

Whatyagonnado wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:21 pm Now that we know who’s playing who. Which team has a better chance of pulling a first round upset? The no depth injury riddled Golden Eagles or the resurgent Red Dragons?
Brockport has a slim shot. Oneonta none, they will lose by double digits to Cortland.
Whatyagonnado

Post by Whatyagonnado »

Olaxfan wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 3:17 pm
Brockport has a slim shot. Oneonta none, they will lose by double digits to Cortland.
I see Oneonta with a shot too. they just gave Potsdam their largest loss in Sunyacs and handled Oswego better than any other team. Brockport needs everyone healthy, which hasn't been the case since before the John Carroll game. They had four or five guys out for the last Geneseo game.
HappyGilmore

Post by HappyGilmore »

SunyLaxFan wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:44 am Now that the regular season SUNYAC games are over, and the teams are in, I'm curious to who everyone thinks the top players from this years conference are. I've been putting a list together as the games were happening each week regarding who I believe deserve all-conference honors (Obviously without post-season in mind). Let me know if I am missing any big names (I'm sure I am) or if some should not be on the list...

Midfield:
Troy Morris (Cortland)
Zak Jones (Cortland)
Sean Byrne (Geneseo)
Drew Liguori (Geneseo)
Gavin Elston (Oswego)

Attack:
Kevin Cook (Geneseo)
Pat Doyen (Cortland)
Pat Sheridan (Brockport)
Dean Cannon (Oneonta)
John Reese (New Paltz)

Defense:
Ryan Nicholson (Oneonta)
Luke Conway (Brockport)
Evan Coleman (Oswego)

LSM:
Jacob Rivers (Cortland)
Lucas Kollmer (Geneseo)

SSDM:
Max Riley (Brockport)
Matt Amato (Cortland)

Faceoff:
Ethan Stiles (Brockport)
Ryan Lee (Geneseo)
Logan Prescott (Oswego)

Goalies:
Mark Pav (Geneseo)
Travis Wagner (Cortland)
John Felice (Brockport)
Is Doyen hurt? Haven’t seen his name in the last three box scores of their games.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

I didn’t see Doyen or Yacavone on the field vs. Geneseo. I thought I’m pretty sure Yacavone went down at Oswego, but I swore he came back in. Maybe not. Tough to tell on a stream.
SunyLaxFan

Post by SunyLaxFan »

Cant believe I guessed the final standings for this years conference, really made me smile. Couple big games tomorrow as playoffs start, who we taking? I have Cortland hands down over Oneonta. I just cant neglect the score from the first matchup. I know they have been playing better, but Cortland is going to abuse that zone.

Geneseo vs. Brockport may be interesting. Are they eagles healthy enough to compete? Word is the LSM #27 Fitzgerald is out for the season, big loss for tomorrows matchup. No doubt a top asset for the eagles, and I believe him along with their SSDM #13 have to be at the top of the conference in GBs and CTs. Unfortunate because that is a strong defensive midfield. If the offense is all healthy (Specifically #23 and #5) I think they will have a better performance than last game, but this is going to be a physical man-to-man matchup between both defenses. Geneseo needs to come out and play their game and not drop this game. Hopefully they are not overlooking this team. Would be huge for them to see #2 have another game like Cortland with 5 goals. Excited to watch, but I'm taking Geneseo by 3 or 4.

Let me know how you all feel!
Slim

Post by Slim »

Cortland and Coach Bev will this. Let's go!
Whatyagonnado

Post by Whatyagonnado »

SunyLaxFan wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 9:07 pm Geneseo vs. Brockport may be interesting. Are they eagles healthy enough to compete? Word is the LSM #27 Fitzgerald is out for the season, big loss for tomorrows matchup. No doubt a top asset for the eagles, and I believe him along with their SSDM #13 have to be at the top of the conference in GBs and CTs. Unfortunate because that is a strong defensive midfield. If the offense is all healthy (Specifically #23 and #5) I think they will have a better performance than last game, but this is going to be a physical man-to-man matchup between both defenses. Geneseo needs to come out and play their game and not drop this game. Hopefully they are not overlooking this team. Would be huge for them to see #2 have another game like Cortland with 5 goals. Excited to watch, but I'm taking Geneseo by 3 or 4.

Let me know how you all feel!
Unfortunately, the way it looks now #27 will not be playing. They are also missing a big piece of their offense with #6 out as well. It does appear everyone else is fairly healthy. If #8 can step up and play within himself, he will be a competent replacement at LSM. The offense needs to stop being selfish and move the ball versus the middies constantly trying to dodge and getting bottled up inside. If #7 continues his dominance at the X and the offense does not carelessly turnover the ball it'll be a close exciting game. I hope you miss this pick Sunylaxfan :D
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Besides the injury issues, Brockport put itself in a precarious spot by playing a very soft schedule. They didn’t look prepared for the skill level and speed Cortland and Geneseo brought to the table.

They need to get teams like Naz, Fisher, and RIT on the schedule and drop the weak games. If those teams will schedule them, that is. Finding games can be difficult.

As for Oneonta having a shot against Cortland, no they don’t. Unless you believe Oneonta could beat Ithaca and Geneseo in rematches, I can’t see why they would upset Cortland. They might keep it closer this time, but I fully expect the championship to be a rematch of last Saturday.
Whatyagonnado

Post by Whatyagonnado »

Embarrassing effort by Brockport
HappyGilmore

Post by HappyGilmore »

SunyLaxFan wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:44 am Now that the regular season SUNYAC games are over, and the teams are in, I'm curious to who everyone thinks the top players from this years conference are. I've been putting a list together as the games were happening each week regarding who I believe deserve all-conference honors (Obviously without post-season in mind). Let me know if I am missing any big names (I'm sure I am) or if some should not be on the list...

Midfield:
Troy Morris (Cortland)
Zak Jones (Cortland)
Sean Byrne (Geneseo)
Drew Liguori (Geneseo)
Gavin Elston (Oswego)

Attack:
Kevin Cook (Geneseo)
Pat Doyen (Cortland)
Pat Sheridan (Brockport)
Dean Cannon (Oneonta)
John Reese (New Paltz)

Defense:
Ryan Nicholson (Oneonta)
Luke Conway (Brockport)
Evan Coleman (Oswego)

LSM:
Jacob Rivers (Cortland)
Lucas Kollmer (Geneseo)

SSDM:
Max Riley (Brockport)
Matt Amato (Cortland)

Faceoff:
Ethan Stiles (Brockport)
Ryan Lee (Geneseo)
Logan Prescott (Oswego)

Goalies:
Mark Pav (Geneseo)
Travis Wagner (Cortland)
John Felice (Brockport)
Doyen and Zak Jones are no longer on the Cortland roster.
Collegelaxguy16

Post by Collegelaxguy16 »

Heard from someone close to Cortland that they were kicked off due to an incident that occured over the weekend. Not sure what exactly happened. Couldn't find any reports anywhere on Cortlands website or University police so curious if it was a team issue or something else. Could dramatically change what happens to them vs. Geneseo.
Olaxfan

Post by Olaxfan »

SUNYAC all-conference list is out. Only 2 teams with no players on list, Oneonta and New Paltz. Speaks volumes of what the other SUNYAC coaches think of Owens. Oneonta makes playoffs but no player receives all-conference.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”