Collegelaxguy16 wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:08 am
CrazyPeople wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:44 am 1) Geneseo/Cortland
3) Brockport
4) Oneonta
5) Oswego
6) Plattsburgh
7) New Paltz
8) Potsdam

1 and 2 are clear favorites this year. Both have played tough OOC schedule but won zero games that matter. Brockport is clear third IMHO. New Paltz will win a SUNYAC game this year, my guess is against Potsdam or Plattsburgh. Plattsburgh losses to Norwich and Hartwick (by 7) is concerning. Oneonta could be 3, 4, or 5 depending on what team shows up.
I agree with this list. I think Cortland wins again this year just from pure domination in the history of the SUNYAC. I think Geneseo will give them a run for their money and Brockport might surprise Cortland/Geneseo if those two don't play their A game.

1: Cortland
2: Geneseo
3: Brockport
4: Oneonta
5: Oswego
6: Plattsburgh
7/8: New Paltz/Potsdam- Either team could beat each other

I would say the biggest upset will probably come from Brockport in the SUNYAC. I like them as a dark horse to make a run at the championship
Also a fan of these rankings... Its difficult to put other teams over Cortland and Geneseo just because of their ceiling and potential. While they haven't had the greatest start, they still have the talent and can compete at a high level when they are on their A Game. Cortland's offense seems to be struggling this year, and with the difficulty of Geneseo's schedule, they may be able to surpass Cortland by the end of conference play.

I love the Brockport dark horse comment. This team looks strong all around and seem to be on a mission to make a statement this year. I was a bit hesitant at first because of their easier games, but the OT battle at now #13 John Carroll was their statement game. If they can keep this pace and not blow conference play, I think they may be my sleeper pick to win it all.

The rest of the SUNYAC is a huge question mark in my opinion. The other teams are all over the place, and they look like different teams every night. Unless one can find some consistency, I don't think any are in the conversation for the championship...

With all that being said...

1.Cortland/Geneseo
2. Brockport (would even put them at 1.5)
3. Oneonta
4. Oswego
5. Plattsburgh
6. New Paltz (Will beat Potsdam)
7. Potsdam
Olaxfan

Re: SUNYAC 2022

Post by Olaxfan »

A bunch of telling games yesterday before SUNYAC play starts on Saturday. New Paltz gets their first win over Manhattanville. Geneseo looking good in a beat down of Alfred. Oneonta gets crushed by West Conn as they continue to spiral down, low lights include scoring two goals on their own net. Cortland looking mediocre in their loss to Hamilton and Plattsburgh suffering another blowout loss this time to Clarkson. SUNYAC lacrosse definitely took a step backwards this season. Predictions for this Saturday: Cortland and Geneseo will have big wins over Plattsburgh and Oneonta, Brockport beats New Paltz and Oswego vs Potsdam could go either way.
Olaxfan

Post by Olaxfan »

Cortland cruises past Plattsburgh 19-7, with Kane scoring 5 for Plattsburgh and a new goalie starting for Cortland. Oneonta continues its spiral to the bottom losing 8-2 to Geneseo 1 of Oneonta's 2 goals coming from their faceoff man taking it to the cage off a faceoff win. Owen's back to playing musical chairs at goalie, I guess he thinks his nonexistent offense and garbage zone defense is somehow the goalies' fault. The problem with Oneonta is what its always been terrible coaching. Brockport dominates New Paltz 15-5, outshooting New Paltz 63-28 with New Paltz's goalies combining for 28 saves to keep the score somewhat respectable.
HappyGilmore

Post by HappyGilmore »

Olaxfan wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:16 pm Cortland cruises past Plattsburgh 19-7, with Kane scoring 5 for Plattsburgh and a new goalie starting for Cortland. Oneonta continues its spiral to the bottom losing 8-2 to Geneseo 1 of Oneonta's 2 goals coming from their faceoff man taking it to the cage off a faceoff win. Owen's back to playing musical chairs at goalie, I guess he thinks his nonexistent offense and garbage zone defense is somehow the goalies' fault. The problem with Oneonta is what its always been terrible coaching. Brockport dominates New Paltz 15-5, outshooting New Paltz 63-28 with New Paltz's goalies combining for 28 saves to keep the score somewhat respectable.
No musical chairs at Oneonta. The “starting” goalie was suspended for a couple of games and was reinstated for the game with Geneseo. They need a new coach. Down 8-2 midway through 4th and they never got out of the zone. Definitely not playing to win.
Collegelaxguy16

Post by Collegelaxguy16 »

My thoughts on the SUNYAC so far...

Cortland: I don't know what to think about them. They play competitve sometimes and other times are all over the place. Given they were ranked to begin this season (which was crazy in my opinion), I would say they are definitely under achieving thus far. I still think that they have the best chance to repeat as champs this year, but seeing the result against SJFC shows how much further they have slipped from being a top 3 Upstate NY team. Jones, Stiles, and Yacavone are the leaders in points as they should be.

Geneseo: The Knights are an interesting team. I have noticed that they have gone through a lot of rotation of players since Bezek took over. It was really hard to watch them get beat up on by Ithaca and St. Lawrence, both are teams who Geneseo has played to a 2-3 goal difference the last few years. They finally got a good performance against a Clarkson team who was playing well despite losing in 2OT. Since the 0-3 start, Geneseo has been 3-1 with that lone loss coming to Salisbury. They crushed Alfred, who Brockport seemed to struggle with in the first half despite winning 9-4. It seems that Cook has been benched after looking at the stats for the Oneonta game. The roller coaster of a new coach is still an issue but like I had mentioned a few posts ago, Geneseo and Cortland are most likely going to battle it out again for the SUNYAC but Brockport could sneak in as well. Atkinson, Boniello, Byrne, and Cook are the leading point getters.

Brockport: I mean despite the low strength of schedule for Brockport, outside of JCU, they are 6-2 and off to a hot start. I think the Nazareth loss relates most to the level this team is at right now. I think Nazareth is a middle of the road D3 team right now. I think that they JCU game was two things: JCU was probably ranked too high and the seniors at Brockport wanted to make a statement. I think the seniors will carry this team as far as they want to go. I think Brockport is the most likely "Cinderella" team for the SUNYAC tournament, granted they don't lose to someone unexpected. I still need to see more before I can think about Brockport as a favorite to at least make the championship. Leading points are Sheridan, Santillo, and Logan.

Oswego: I honestly don't know much about this Oswego team. They hold a 4-2 record against teams who are honestly bottom level D3. They beat a bad Morrisville team 10-7 which is not a great score line. They got blanked by Clarkson. I will say that it's good they a have a few wins under their belt, as I see them being around .500 for SUNYAC play. Brockport, Geneseo, and Cortland should beat them handily. The only game I would assume would be a little bit close is the Geneseo game based on the emotions from Bezek's old players and team. Leading point scorers are Gray, Elston, and Sexton.

Potsdam: Another team similar to Oswego. Beat really low D3 teams with the exception of Morrisville who they lost to by 2. I think the SUNYAC is going to be tough on Potsdam. In my opinion, they will lose Geneseo, Cortland, Brockport, maybe Oswego and I'm sure another game or two if Oneonta starts to figure out their coaching woahs. Leading point scorers are Walsh, Cree, Talcott, and other Walsh.

Plattsburgh: This Plattsburgh team is just not the best. I miss the days a few years ago when Plattsburgh was on the cusp of being a legit SUNYAC contentder yearly. Man how they have fallen off. They are getting absolutely crushed by teams who are at least respected in D3. I don't think I can make an accurate prediction of their SUNYAC play because they could lose every game or squeak out 3 maybe 4 wins with an upset or 2. Leading point getters are Kane, Gill, and Swift. Kane is clearly the most important guy in their offense and if any team scouts properly, they should be able to limit him greatly.

New Paltz: Welcome to the SUNYAC club! I don't think anyone had high expectations for a brand new team. Brockport was able to beat up on them pretty good winning 15-5. I think New Paltz is just going through the pain of being a brand new team in a brand new conference. The expectation is that they shouldn't beat any other SUNYAC team, but would love to see it happen and give them momentum going into the next few years. Leading point getters are: Reese, Flanagan, and Armetta.

Oneonta: Last but not least is Oneonta. I don't even want to type this one out. I mean come on. Administration should be getting ready to move on soon because they are doomed at this rate. This team has talent but can't produce any of it on the field. Looking at their current schedule so far, some of the scores don't actually look that bad like a 7-4 loss to Ithaca. But then you watch their game against Geneseo where they scored 2 goals the whole game. I get coaches like to stick by their bread and butter but holy smokes try something different please. This season looks like it could be one of the worst for Oneonta in years and they might not even make the tournament at this rate. I have to imagine the players are hoping for something to change whether it be a new coach or different game plans. Leading point getters are: Cannon, Gallagher, and Rowley.

Overall, I am surprised at how bad the SUNYAC is overall this year. The top teams are not that good. Whoever goes on to represent the SUNYAC in the NCAA tournament likely won't make it past 1-2 games depending on the matchup. I know the SUNYAC has been on the decline the past few years, but this feels like rock bottom. I believe that public schools have a certain chip on their shoulder when playing against private schools. I just remember the gritty years where it seemed like 3-4 SUNY schools could beat anyone in the country and now we have the likely favorite (Cortland IMO) who lost to Hamilton who is currently 8th in the NESCAC standings. I really enjoy watching SUNYAC lacrosse but I know outside of the actaul SUNYAC games, most of these SUNY schools would get crushed with a decent (Top 50) D3 team. There are outliers in that statment with Brockport almost upsetting JCU but overall, very low level of skill right now in the SUNYAC and just not the expectation anyone had for the conference 5-10 years ago.
Last edited by Collegelaxguy16 on Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Collegelaxguy16

Tough night for the SUNYAC teams that played. Potsdam seemed to put up at least some fight in their loss to Clarkson. Cortland got absolutely dominated by RIT today. This can be expected but I think gave us more insight into the result of SJFC vs. Geneseo. SJFC was able to beat Geneseo 12-7. If you do just your basic comparison from the RIT vs. SJFC game from last week, Geneseo seems to be better than Cortland. Obviously conference play is so different and some teams play better in some games that's why it is just a comparison of similar opponents. This feels like more proof that the SUNYAC just isn't competitive enough to make waves on the national stage.
HappyGilmore

Post by HappyGilmore »

Collegelaxguy16 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:58 pm Tough night for the SUNYAC teams that played. Potsdam seemed to put up at least some fight in their loss to Clarkson. Cortland got absolutely dominated by RIT today. This can be expected but I think gave us more insight into the result of SJFC vs. Geneseo. SJFC was able to beat Geneseo 12-7. If you do just your basic comparison from the RIT vs. SJFC game from last week, Geneseo seems to be better than Cortland. Obviously conference play is so different and some teams play better in some games that's why it is just a comparison of similar opponents. This feels like more proof that the SUNYAC just isn't competitive enough to make waves on the national stage.
Genny game was 11 - 7 with 4 minutes left after a horrible first quarter for Genny. Last I looked SJFC was ranked in top 5 in some of the polls. Let see how the rest of the season plays out before you question / feel the competitiveness of the SUNYAC
Collegelaxguy16

HappyGilmore wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:45 pm
Collegelaxguy16 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:58 pm Tough night for the SUNYAC teams that played. Potsdam seemed to put up at least some fight in their loss to Clarkson. Cortland got absolutely dominated by RIT today. This can be expected but I think gave us more insight into the result of SJFC vs. Geneseo. SJFC was able to beat Geneseo 12-7. If you do just your basic comparison from the RIT vs. SJFC game from last week, Geneseo seems to be better than Cortland. Obviously conference play is so different and some teams play better in some games that's why it is just a comparison of similar opponents. This feels like more proof that the SUNYAC just isn't competitive enough to make waves on the national stage.
Genny game was 11 - 7 with 4 minutes left after a horrible first quarter for Genny. Last I looked SJFC was ranked in top 5 in some of the polls. Let see how the rest of the season plays out before you question / feel the competitiveness of the SUNYAC
SJFC came into the game as #12 if you look at Geneseo's website. I don't want to say that the SUNYAC can't be competitive but we are going into conference play and out of conference games are pretty much over. Out of my top 3 likely contenders (Geneseo, Cortland, and Brockport), only Geneseo and Cortland have a hard non-conference game left. Geneseo still plays RIT and Cortland plays Ithaca. Brockport plays Naz which I guess you could make an argument for. Although those games are still unplayed, if the SUNYAC teams lose both of those games, no one in the SUNYAC has a quality win over a NCAA tournament contending team. I would love the argument that at least games have been competitive in some of these games, Fisher/Geneseo, Brockport/JCU, Cortland/Cabrini, but a win is a win and that hasn't showed up yet for ANY of the SUNYAC teams. If you watched the Geneseo game yesterday, they did play a lot better and you are right that it was 11-7 with 4 minutes to go. But, Fisher committed the same amount of turnovers as they did against RIT. Are you saying the Geneseo defense is the same caliber as the RIT defense? I think it all comes down to level of competition. Fisher and RIT knew they were going to win yesterday. I mean heck even SUNYAC teams play down to their level of competition. I think you are crazy to think that the SUNYAC poses a real threat to any major contender in the tourney. I mean look at Cortland. They almost upset Cabrini and then got run over by RIT. Does that mean Cortland is getting worse as the season goes on? That generally doesn't happen (sorry Oneonta). I love the thought of a team like Geneseo pulling off an upset of RIT or Cortland beating Ithaca but based on the quality games already played this season (Geneseo vs.:Ithaca, St. Lawrence, Clarkson, Salisbury, SJFC; Cortland vs.:SJFC, Cabrini, Roanoke, St. Lawrence, RIT; Brockport vs.: JCU) only one of those games has been a win and that's the Cortland/Roanoke game. That would make the SUNYAC 1-11 against quality opponets and that's excudling Cortland's loss to Hamilton which I thought is leaning towards more of a bad loss.

I am excited to see teams to get better and please prove me wrong SUNY schools. You have an uphill battle.
Last edited by Collegelaxguy16 on Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrazyPeople

Post by CrazyPeople »

HG - 11-7 is close, but its not that close. I'm not sure I'd hang my hat on losing close as a sign of a decent team

Side note: Has any team in I, II, III fall as far in the past 10 years as Cortland?! Holy cow are they embarrassing. That school has every advantage to them (facilities, full time assistant, majors, etc) and they are just not competitive with the best teams in the country. Would Cortland make a move on Beville? Kinda seems to go against the SUNYAC way.
Olaxfan

Post by Olaxfan »

If Geneseo or Brockport win the Sunyac and beat them during the reqular season and Cortland doesn't make the NCAA tournament maybe Cortland's administration takes notice.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

CrazyPeople wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:22 am HG - 11-7 is close, but its not that close. I'm not sure I'd hang my hat on losing close as a sign of a decent team

Side note: Has any team in I, II, III fall as far in the past 10 years as Cortland?! Holy cow are they embarrassing. That school has every advantage to them (facilities, full time assistant, majors, etc) and they are just not competitive with the best teams in the country. Would Cortland make a move on Beville? Kinda seems to go against the SUNYAC way.
I don't know what his contract situation is. There's no way a SUNY school can afford to release a high-paid coach because of performance, and since he won an NCAA championship, I assume the school will show him loyalty. But you're right. No program has fallen as far or as quickly. It's not just facilities, assistants, and majors (though I contend many of the private schools offer majors that lacrosse players are looking for). It's also tradition. Cortland has three national championships, including one in D2. They've embraced lacrosse since the sport was a northeastern niche, and the program was nationally relevant in every decade up until 2014. The program expects more and should.

I understand they had a shot at hiring Jake Coon back in the day and passed. Then again, you can't trust every story you hear. Cortland needs a change.
SunyLaxFan

Post by SunyLaxFan »

SUNYAC championship could go to Geneseo, Cortland or Brockport… there, I said it. Couldn’t tell you who it’s going to go to, but the other teams are not it this year…
Olaxfan

Post by Olaxfan »

They seem like the clear top 3. Friday's game between Cortland and Brockport should be interesting. Bottom 3, Oneonta, New Paltz and Plattsburgh who finishes last?
SunyLaxFan

Post by SunyLaxFan »

Olaxfan wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:12 pm They seem like the clear top 3. Friday's game between Cortland and Brockport should be interesting. Bottom 3, Oneonta, New Paltz and Plattsburgh who finishes last?
From the games and scores I’ve seen, I think New Paltz will most likely be at the bottom, but may put up some fights against both Plattsburgh and Oneonta…

Very excited for the Cortland/Brockport game this Friday… may be a statement game for one of these teams and the SUNYACS
SunyLaxFan

Post by SunyLaxFan »

Score predictions for Cortland/Brockport tonight… I think I’m rooting for Brockport but my final score prediction is 13-10 Cortland
Olaxfan

Post by Olaxfan »

I agree with the score but going to go out on a limb and flip it to Brockport winning 13-10.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Depends on which teams show up tonight. Outside of the John Carrol game, Brockport hasn't been tested since the Nazareth loss. Cortland appeared to be reeling until Tuesday, but seemed to play angry in blowing Naz out. Very aggressive rides and checking in that win.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Cortland wins going away. Outside of the FOGO, the Red Dragons had more talent on the field at all positions. The next interesting game appears to be the Brockport-Geneseo game on 4/27. Cortland should be 7-6 heading into the Ithaca game on 4/20.
Olaxfan

Post by Olaxfan »

So it looks pretty clear that the top 3 spots will be Cortland Geneseo and Brockport. The big question becomes who lands in the final playoff spot. Oswego currently looking like the favorite and Plattsburgh's loss to oneonta pretty much eliminates them as does Potsdam's loss to Oswego.
CrazyPeople

Post by CrazyPeople »

Olaxfan wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:56 pm So it looks pretty clear that the top 3 spots will be Cortland Geneseo and Brockport. The big question becomes who lands in the final playoff spot. Oswego currently looking like the favorite and Plattsburgh's loss to oneonta pretty much eliminates them as does Potsdam's loss to Oswego.
I'm beginning to second guess Brockport as clear #3. Oswego is doing some nice things. Will have more of an opinion after this weekend.

I think Plattsburgh is gonna end up on the bottom of the SUNYAC and New Paltz will have a minimum of 1 win this season, maybe 2.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”