MAC 2022

D3 Mens Lacrosse
DeepPocket

MAC 2022

Post by DeepPocket »

https://stevensducks.com/news/2021/9/7/ ... ports.aspx

For the fall season-
If a conference game (including post season) cannot be played due to COVID concerns, the team in question forfeits the game.
The wins and losses attributed to this policy affect only conference results and standings, and will not be reflected in NCAA overall records.

I imagine this will be in effect for the spring season as well.

Any contest that is unable to be completed due to COVID-19 related issues will automatically be considered a forfeit for the purposes of conference standings. The contest will not be able to be rescheduled and count for conference standings.

A loss will be given to the team unable to compete, and a win for the opposing team. This will only affect the conference records for the purposes of the standings to seed the conference tournaments. Overall records will not receive a win or loss. These contests will officially be considered a "no contest" by the NCAA.

Disagreements regarding which team is "responsible" for the pause will be settled by the conference office in consultation with the MAC Executive Committee. If both teams are determined equally responsible, both teams will receive a loss
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
DeepPocket

Re: MAC 2022

Post by DeepPocket »

NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

Any significant movers in the MAC or is the pecking order clear-cut?

Are Eastern & Widener locks for the 3rd & 4th spots?

https://gomacsports.com/news/2022/1/26/ ... -poll.aspx
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

NElaxtalent wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:02 am Any significant movers in the MAC or is the pecking order clear-cut?

York and Stevenson are the clear 1, 2. And while York’s performance of late has warranted the 1 nod, their games are always a dogfight. These teams share a history dating back to Stevenson’s Villa Julie days in the CAC. Both have well coached rosters deep with talent, and draw from many of the same schools. This year Stevenson will be out for blood after being embarrassingly shutout on their home turf in the MAC championship game.

IMHO I do see Eastern and Widener as the next tier at 3 and 4 respectively. In the games I watched last year, Eastern appeared to have more talent while Widener played a tougher more physical brand. Two different styles, but each set them above the others.

Of the remaining teams, I see Messiah as the school best set to turn the corner. The school is located just south of Harrisburg, not too far from Maryland. And they already have several strong athletic programs boasting 32 DIII national championships since 2000 (19 team, 13 individual). Unfortunately sometimes other successful programs means they get more of the $upport from the school, and their decent location, lacrosse recruitment wise, puts them squarely between York, Gettysburg and Dickinson.

Only time will tell, but for now it’s York and Stevenson.
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

DeepPocket wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:28 pm
NElaxtalent wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:02 am Any significant movers in the MAC or is the pecking order clear-cut?

York and Stevenson are the clear 1, 2. And while York’s performance of late has warranted the 1 nod, their games are always a dogfight. These teams share a history dating back to Stevenson’s Villa Julie days in the CAC. Both have well coached rosters deep with talent, and draw from many of the same schools. This year Stevenson will be out for blood after being embarrassingly shutout on their home turf in the MAC championship game.

IMHO I do see Eastern and Widener as the next tier at 3 and 4 respectively. In the games I watched last year, Eastern appeared to have more talent while Widener played a tougher more physical brand. Two different styles, but each set them above the others.

Of the remaining teams, I see Messiah as the school best set to turn the corner. The school is located just south of Harrisburg, not too far from Maryland. And they already have several strong athletic programs boasting 32 DIII national championships since 2000 (19 team, 13 individual). Unfortunately sometimes other successful programs means they get more of the $upport from the school, and their decent location, lacrosse recruitment wise, puts them squarely between York, Gettysburg and Dickinson.

Only time will tell, but for now it’s York and Stevenson.
Thank you for the detailed summary. All the other D3 conferences have active threads but not much being discussed in MAC so didn't know conference story.

Much appreciated!
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

NElaxtalent wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:14 pm Thank you for the detailed summary. All the other D3 conferences have active threads but not much being discussed in MAC so didn't know conference story.

Much appreciated!
That’s the very reason I began this thread, and did so as a combined MAC (Freedom and Commonwealth). With three perennial ranks squads in Stevens, York and Stevenson over the two MACs, you’d think there’d be more banter.

Over on the MAC Freedom side, I think Stevens has potential. They’ve got transfers in from Army, St John’s and Nassau CC. Their stats were just about even in their first match with a tough Dickinson squad, except for saves and faceoffs. Brandau in net for Dickinson was the difference there. Excited to see where their season takes them.
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

DeepPocket wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:53 pm Over on the MAC Freedom side, I think Stevens has potential. They’ve got transfers in from Army, St John’s and Nassau CC. Their stats were just about even in their first match with a tough Dickinson squad, except for saves and faceoffs. Brandau in net for Dickinson was the difference there. Excited to see where their season takes them.
Unfortunately my view of Stevens is far from hopeful. The Army kid got lit up by Dickenson at FOGO, hopefully that was an outlier. The Nassau CC kid hasn't seen the field except for some mop-up against other weak conference opponents last season and this year they converted a left handed middie to an attackman instead of going to a right hander off the bench (and they already have 2 other left handed attackmen on the roster - so it's not like the left attack was a great need.

Brandau played well, but Stevens lost a lot of talent (and over 150 points) with the departure of Gebhardt and Coulter. Not too mention the depature of Crotty and Brennan at D. Oh and btw, their FOGO from last year (Larry Park, first team MAC - 65% win) is not on the roster either.

I suspect they will win the Mac Freedom again and get a low seed to the tournament, but with teams like RIT, Salsbury, Stevenson, Tufts, Haverford on their schedule, they will be lucky to win out of conference.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

OddDuck wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:52 pm
Unfortunately my view of Stevens is far from hopeful. The Army kid got lit up by Dickenson at FOGO, hopefully that was an outlier. The Nassau CC kid hasn't seen the field except for some mop-up against other weak conference opponents last season and this year they converted a left handed middie to an attackman instead of going to a right hander off the bench (and they already have 2 other left handed attackmen on the roster - so it's not like the left attack was a great need.

Brandau played well, but Stevens lost a lot of talent (and over 150 points) with the departure of Gebhardt and Coulter. Not too mention the depature of Crotty and Brennan at D. Oh and btw, their FOGO from last year (Larry Park, first team MAC - 65% win) is not on the roster either.

I suspect they will win the Mac Freedom again and get a low seed to the tournament, but with teams like RIT, Salsbury, Stevenson, Tufts, Haverford on their schedule, they will be lucky to win out of conference.
That’s a shame about Park. I saw him play a great game against Salisbury, going toe to toe with Malamphy. That is a big loss. Who do you have as the distant #2 in Freedom? DeSales?

York has Arcadia up next in a MAC crossover game. I did some looking at them and I see they’ve got a slew of transfers from all over (UMass Lowell, Mary Wash, Mercer CC x2, Imacculata). I’m going to watch their game today to see how they fair against Etown. Any insight on them?
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

DeepPocket wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:48 pm That’s a shame about Park. I saw him play a great game against Salisbury, going toe to toe with Malamphy. That is a big loss. Who do you have as the distant #2 in Freedom? DeSales?

York has Arcadia up next in a MAC crossover game. I did some looking at them and I see they’ve got a slew of transfers from all over (UMass Lowell, Mary Wash, Mercer CC x2, Imacculata). I’m going to watch their game today to see how they fair against Etown. Any insight on them?
Watching the Haverford loss, Stevens looked pretty awful to be perfectly honest. Though it ended close, it was a 4-5 goal game with only a few minutes left when Haverford drew several non-releasable penalties (actually going 6 on 3 at on point). They broke even on the faceoff battle but seemed to be "physically overmatched" for much of the game. They're goalie played well, but their offense seems to be non-existant. When they get shots off they are often right at the goalie (in effect a turnover). Less that 25% shooting for the game. I think it would have been worse if their goalie didn't play very well (17 saves). the biggest stat is that of their 18 turnovers only 9 were forced - implying that they had 9 UNFORCED turnovers for the game which is wretched.

Watching them play I am not sure they go undefeated in the Mac Freedom at this point. DeSales may have been a distant 2nd last year but Stevens seems to have dropped off significantly. Additionally, I know that Misericordia and a very large recruiting class. Last year they ran with Stevens for about a half before their small roster ran out of gas. Even if Stevens runs the Mac Freedom, it only takes one upset in the Mac Tournament to knock them out of their conference spot in the big tournament and it seems they won't be getting an at-large based on their initial play.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

OddDuck wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:29 am Watching the Haverford loss, Stevens looked pretty awful to be perfectly honest. Though it ended close, it was a 4-5 goal game with only a few minutes left when Haverford drew several non-releasable penalties (actually going 6 on 3 at on point). They broke even on the faceoff battle but seemed to be "physically overmatched" for much of the game. They're goalie played well, but their offense seems to be non-existant. When they get shots off they are often right at the goalie (in effect a turnover). Less that 25% shooting for the game. I think it would have been worse if their goalie didn't play very well (17 saves). the biggest stat is that of their 18 turnovers only 9 were forced - implying that they had 9 UNFORCED turnovers for the game which is wretched.

Watching them play I am not sure they go undefeated in the Mac Freedom at this point. DeSales may have been a distant 2nd last year but Stevens seems to have dropped off significantly. Additionally, I know that Misericordia and a very large recruiting class. Last year they ran with Stevens for about a half before their small roster ran out of gas. Even if Stevens runs the Mac Freedom, it only takes one upset in the Mac Tournament to knock them out of their conference spot in the big tournament and it seems they won't be getting an at-large based on their initial play.
I see, that’s unfortunate. Looking at their schedule things won’t be getting much easier for them (Springfield, Salisbury, Stevenson, RIT, Wesleyan, Tufts). Hope they figure it out.

After watching the Arcadia game, I don’t see York keeping starters in for long against them. I’m hoping that York facing them after a long break, and right before Salisbury and RIT, doesn’t take away whatever rhythm York’s starters began to find against W&L.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Honestly, not sure that the York starters ever really found a rhythm against W&L and that is a testament to the W&L game plan. I think that you will see the York starters or topline guys (Top 5 attackman, top six middies) for longer just so they can get some work in before the RIT game. Not sure that the early schedule is helping York. I kind of wish that they had a game tomorrow or earlier in the week just to work out some kinks. Having RIT, Salisbury and F&M in a row is really going to have them jumping right into the fire.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

DeepPocket wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:53 pm
NElaxtalent wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:14 pm Thank you for the detailed summary. All the other D3 conferences have active threads but not much being discussed in MAC so didn't know conference story.

Much appreciated!
That’s the very reason I began this thread, and did so as a combined MAC (Freedom and Commonwealth). With three perennial ranks squads in Stevens, York and Stevenson over the two MACs, you’d think there’d be more banter.

Over on the MAC Freedom side, I think Stevens has potential. They’ve got transfers in from Army, St John’s and Nassau CC. Their stats were just about even in their first match with a tough Dickinson squad, except for saves and faceoffs. Brandau in net for Dickinson was the difference there. Excited to see where their season takes them.

It's always good to read up on the smaller leagues because their games are just as much fun to watch as the bigger leagues. Thanks so much for your input.

I just watched Wilkes (MAC Freedom) vs Neumann (Atlantic East). Home team won decisively by a score of 16-7. The announcer gave as straight forward a report as you could possibly ask for. The guy really knows the game and broke it down for the audience superbly well.

For several years now I've enjoyed college lax online. Eagerly look forward to my next game.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Brooklyn wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:04 pm It's always good to read up on the smaller leagues because their games are just as much fun to watch as the bigger leagues. Thanks so much for your input.

I just watched Wilkes (MAC Freedom) vs Neumann (Atlantic East). Home team won decisively by a score of 16-7. The announcer gave as straight forward a report as you could possibly ask for. The guy really knows the game and broke it down for the audience superbly well.

For several years now I've enjoyed college lax online. Eagerly look forward to my next game.
That’s great. I know a really good women’s lacrosse player who had an outstanding career at Wilkes. There truly is talent everywhere, regardless of what the rankings may be.

I like seeing who my squad is playing next, regardless of how potent, and then I try to watch that team’s game prior. The lacrosse community is all connected, and more often than not I can find a player on one of those teams who played somewhere that someone I played with or against was from etc. It’s easy enough to develop a rooting interest. And the familiarity makes it even more enjoyable when they go against my team.
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

DeepPocket wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:42 am I see, that’s unfortunate. Looking at their schedule things won’t be getting much easier for them (Springfield, Salisbury, Stevenson, RIT, Wesleyan, Tufts). Hope they figure it out.

After watching the Arcadia game, I don’t see York keeping starters in for long against them. I’m hoping that York facing them after a long break, and right before Salisbury and RIT, doesn’t take away whatever rhythm York’s starters began to find against W&L.
So an OT win against Springfield and a thorough pasting by Salisbury leaves Stevens at 1-3. Offense came to life against Springfield, but I am afraid that says more about Springfield than Stevens as they were once again anemic against Salisbury.
They sandwiched a mediocre quarter between a horrible start and horrible finish. Stevens seemed to run about 9 different guys at attack through the game (Steven's coaches seem to be about the most reactionary coaches in the game) and I don't think one of them ever beat a Salisbury shorty one on one. Unable to get by the shorties left the Seagulls long poles to cover their outlets and as a result you then end up with just 5 goals total - 1 each from 5 different players. In addition, Stevens poor shooting that has plagued them for several years has continued. As a team through 4 games they are shooting a miserable 22% with one midfielder shooting 3 for 30. Additionally their usually reliable goalkeeper has given up 13 goals with 1 save in his last 2 games, being replaced by a freshman in the middle of both.

I'd like to think they can beat Oneonta at home next Saturday, but can't imagine them coming close to Tufts, RIT and Wesleyan in the three that follow before diving into their conference schedule. At 2-6 going into the Mac Freedom they will have no margin for error.

If nothing else it will be interesting.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Tough day for the Commonwealth. Stevenson and York both dropping to tough competition in G’burg and RIT.
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Steven's finished up their "running of the guantlet" today with their second straight trouncing by a NESCAC team, losing to Tufts 18-5 after losing to Wesleyan last week 22-5. This was after a respectable 14-11 loss to RIT (but a loss nevertheless). After it looked like Steven's might "break out" of some of their offensive woes in games against RIT and Oneonta, they now seemed to be the outliers as they have returned to abysmal shooting and lackluster offense. In the last two games Stevens has shot 10 for 85 shots a measly 12% shooting percentage. Today they had three players with goals while the rest of the team went 0 for 30 shooting, and one of those players who did score was 0 for 12 before getting two late scores against the Tufts bench.

It befuddles me how players can remain in the lineup from game to game when they have less points than turnovers and have nonexistent shooting percentages (5%, 15%, 16%). Those are numbers of starters who are on the field either all of most of the time. The only recent memory of a player successfully challenging a defender and taking it to the goal was from a bench player against Wesleyan when they pulled the starting attack (I am guessing to send a message). The rest of the time it seems most of their shots are from 15 yards out.

The crazy thing is that Stevens won many of the statistical categories, was almost perfect on clears and had only 12 turnovers (better than their season average) today. If they could only put the ball in the net instead of missing it completely or playing catch with the keeper (dead center shots between the keepers feet and chest are no better than turnovers).

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome. At 2-6, unless the coaches are going to be happy with an AQ from a Mac Freedom championship (which I would say is not a guarantee at this point) its probably time for a shakeup in the offensive strategy and/or lineups. They need folks to start attacking (and getting) to the goal or find some who can. There is no Ryan Gebhardt to fall back on this year.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

In the slew of conference games this week, most intriguing for each MAC looks to be -

Commonwealth- Stevenson vs an Eastern team who lost by 2 to RPI and by 4 to Cabrini.

Freedom- Stevens vs Misericordia who beat Eastern by 4 a week before their 2 goal loss to RPI
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

DeepPocket wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:50 pm In the slew of conference games this week, most intriguing for each MAC looks to be -

Commonwealth- Stevenson vs an Eastern team who lost by 2 to RPI and by 4 to Cabrini.

Freedom- Stevens vs Misericordia who beat Eastern by 4 a week before their 2 goal loss to RPI
Stevens will continue there walk through the Mac Freedom conference. Misericordia may put up more resistance than their previous Mac opponents but there really is nobody that measures up to Stevens in conference right now because the conference on it's whole is not terrific. Eastern barely beat DeSales (who Stevens beat handily) before losing a close one to Mis. Look for Stevens to win out in the Mac and lose a not so close game to Stevenson next week. I will say it has been nice to see some new faces off the bench for Stevens. Some seem to have outplayed some of the starters statistically and perhaps could merit moving up the depth chart??? (Hint: don't count on it!)
laxrules

Post by laxrules »

OddDuck wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:32 am
DeepPocket wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:50 pm In the slew of conference games this week, most intriguing for each MAC looks to be -

Stevens will continue there walk through the Mac Freedom conference. Misericordia may put up more resistance than their previous Mac opponents but there really is nobody that measures up to Stevens in conference right now because the conference on it's whole is not terrific. Eastern barely beat DeSales (who Stevens beat handily) before losing a close one to Mis. Look for Stevens to win out in the Mac and lose a not so close game to Stevenson next week. I will say it has been nice to see some new faces off the bench for Stevens. Some seem to have outplayed some of the starters statistically and perhaps could merit moving up the depth chart??? (Hint: don't count on it!)

Sounds like a “dad” of a bench player. I am sure airing out your issues all season on this forum is going to do the trick and get your son more PT :roll:
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

laxrules wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:45 pm
OddDuck wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:32 am

Sounds like a “dad” of a bench player. I am sure airing out your issues all season on this forum is going to do the trick and get your son more PT :roll:
I love the dads that coach their kids the entire youth career, then acting surprised when the child doesn’t start in high school or college when they finally have a coach that isn’t related.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”