Washington College New Era

D3 Mens Lacrosse
veryoldgoose

Re: Washington College New Era

Post by veryoldgoose »

ReturnOfTheWAC wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 1:23 pm
veryoldgoose wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:07 pm
WASHFAN wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:36 am Was there, and other than score I feel that the info you got was misleading. Coach rotated everybody through, used 2 or 3 goalies, and let the young underclassmen play d the last 6 mins of REG/OT when the game was on the line. It was the second game of the day, they played AnnArundel CC at 1pm. Coach doesn’t have any starters, every position is wide open, he threw out a ton of combinations, these games were to see what he’s got to work with and how guys play with each other. Would it be nice to have it already figured out? Yes. But until today all he has seen is conditioning, drills, and,6v6. I’m not saying we’re strong, but I am saying he was much more interested in seeing his puppies play, hunting season doesn’t start till Feb.
Glad my information was slightly off base. Still concerning about losing to a CC playing their backups, but its early days. To ReturnoftheWAC's comment - so what that a CC has multiple d1 prospects? WAC generally has been filled with kids that were d1 prospects that either 1- decided not to go to a lower d1 and get smoked all year, or 2 - had some slight flaw (that isnt a flaw, but just made it harder to land a spot in a desirable d1 school) - maybe a late developer, maybe from a less recruited HS, or maybe slightly smaller than a traditional high end d1 prospect. I mean WAC's rival down the shore is filled with former d1 players who got kicked out for whatever reason, so playing a CC with a few d1 prospects shouldnt be any sort of hurdle. Plus many legit d1 prospects choose Centennial Conference schools for their own reasons - big fish, small pond, better academics, or even better financial aid.

Anyway, I truly hope WAC turns the corner and it will surely take some time!
VOG. I think you are not understanding my point. At this time WAC Does not have those kids. They might have 1 or 2 but to be competitive in the CC you need many more. Shirk I believe wasted the talent of the 2017/2018/2019 rosters, and did not recruit new talent. Now the team is in a rebuild and playing the best Community College team shows that. WAC will be fine but im expecting a 2-5 year process for this to turn around and get back to the top of the CC
I agree, I missed the point. Totally agree with you.
swf

Post by swf »

veryoldgoose wrote:
I mean WAC's rival down the shore is filled with former d1 players who got kicked out for whatever reason
Please remove this. I'm sure you didn't mean to intentionally demean and belittle a group of opposing players in one of the most exciting rivalries in D 3 sports.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

WAC landed a solid attackman out of John Carroll in Baltimore. A 2 year starting attackman in the MIAA. Good get.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Another commitment for WAC from the MIAA and John Carroll:

kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

And a commitment from the MIAA "B" conference too:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... commitment
the_fish_whist1er

Post by the_fish_whist1er »

Hearing rumors that Nostrant Jr. will be on the Shoremen roster this spring. Interesting how that would work being a graduate of PSU and WC not having post baccalaureate programs.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

the_fish_whist1er wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:58 pm Hearing rumors that Nostrant Jr. will be on the Shoremen roster this spring. Interesting how that would work being a graduate of PSU and WC not having post baccalaureate programs.
He’ll enroll in undergrad courses and then withdrawal after the semester. He has no interest in a degree.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:21 am
the_fish_whist1er wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:58 pm Hearing rumors that Nostrant Jr. will be on the Shoremen roster this spring. Interesting how that would work being a graduate of PSU and WC not having post baccalaureate programs.
He’ll enroll in undergrad courses and then withdrawal after the semester. He has no interest in a degree.
Don't have anything against the player and I hope WC returns to a championship caliber team, but it's hard to imagine that WC or the Centennial Conference would be in favor of this. I understand he wants to play for his dad, it just seems to be out of phase with the purpose of D3 athletics, it has "hired gun" written all over it (especially the "He has no interest in a degree")...just my opinion. If he does play good luck to him and WC.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Laxdds wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:38 am
Don't have anything against the player and I hope WC returns to a championship caliber team, but it's hard to imagine that WC or the Centennial Conference would be in favor of this. I understand he wants to play for his dad, it just seems to be out of phase with the purpose of D3 athletics, it has "hired gun" written all over it (especially the "He has no interest in a degree")...just my opinion. If he does play good luck to him and WC.
I certainly get the sentiment and agree, but it’s also very much allowed within the rules of the NCAA.
ReturnOfTheWAC

Post by ReturnOfTheWAC »

InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:43 am
Laxdds wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:38 am
I certainly get the sentiment and agree, but it’s also very much allowed within the rules of the NCAA.
If it is true, I think it is more exploitation of a current loophole created by the "additional years of eligibility" that have been handed out across all divisions. Yes Washington College is my team so I am a bit bias but I think "hired gun" is a bit of an overstatement. I don't think this will be the norm and if the young man is conference player of the year Ill eat my words and say I was wrong. But then again that prolly means WAC has returned to some relevance
SneaksBeac

Post by SneaksBeac »

If this plays out to be true. It is truly a very unique situation and won't be the norm for many D3 schools.

With this case in particular, you have someone who will no doubt be using tuition remission to enroll "Full Time" at the school under the guise of transferring his credits he gets at WAC to go back to PSU to complete his degree or additional certificate. The key here is the Tuition Remission. He is no doubt going to WAC for Free or next to nothing. Allowing him to use the 5th year.

The 5th year, as enticing as it is for many people, is a burden that kids and families need to really weigh. Do you spend another year at school and ultimately pay the bill. Or if you want to start your graduate degree does the school you want to go to have the program you want with the class schedule that works for you, AND can you afford it. In many cases the answer is No. At the highest levels, guys like Sowers, Bowen and others of that type will be able to go to a graduate school and make it work. But at the D3 level, its really not an option. Unless the kid has purposely slowed down his clock to make it work.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

No dog in this fight. But to me, it seems like a lot of unnecessary hand wringing over a kid that likely wont be that much of an impact. This is much ado about nothing, IMO.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

"Hired Gun" was simply hyperbole. If he is eligible, he should play.
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

I'm pretty sure WAC has/had a masters program in Psych....I know a few of the former assistant coaches took advantage of that perk...
the_fish_whist1er

Post by the_fish_whist1er »

Sidelinehorn! wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:55 pm I'm pretty sure WAC has/had a masters program in Psych....I know a few of the former assistant coaches took advantage of that perk...
WAC got rid of the Psych masters after 2014 season.
veryoldgoose

Post by veryoldgoose »

the_fish_whist1er wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:04 pm
Sidelinehorn! wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:55 pm I'm pretty sure WAC has/had a masters program in Psych....I know a few of the former assistant coaches took advantage of that perk...
WAC got rid of the Psych masters after 2014 season.
Also conveniently when WAC lost its ability to have one of the largest d3 staffs in college lacrosse. To add, it wasnt just psych. They also had a masters is history at the same time.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Does the NCAA still have a cap on the number of paid assistants?
I know it used to have one at the D1 level.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:56 am Does the NCAA still have a cap on the number of paid assistants?
I know it used to have one at the D1 level.
Yes but only in D1.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

WAC no longer has a graduate program.

If the kid is eligible, and meets NCAA requirements for academic eligibility, then what is there to even discuss? Basketball one and done's rarely even attend class during their one year.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”