NCAC 2022

D3 Mens Lacrosse
FannOLax

Re: NCAC 2022

Post by FannOLax »

Grelch, when watching OWU this year, I've seen the same lack of basics. Given the traditions of Denison and OWU, this year looks like a step in the wrong direction. Just the AQ again for the NCAC; and whoever snags that seems unlikely to go far.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

The Big Red/Grove City result surprised me. GC is an improving program but I never expected them to beat Denison - Best of the West. Anybody have any insight?
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

Grelch - I think your comment about the Denison - Wabash game is dead on. If you knew nothing about the teams and pulled a random 3-4 minute clip from last year's film, you'd think, "This is a lopsided, blowout." Pull a random clip from this year, and you'd think, "Yeah, Denison's better and deeper, but this is competitive." A very different vibe, with both teams playing hard to the very end.

In fairness I think Koch went deeper down the roster, earlier than Caravana ever did. Look at #5's three first half points in 2022, compared to twelve assists last year, some while up 20 in Q3. (Please don't misinterpret that as a comment about the player, who is just out there doing his best, as he should every second he's on the field. That's a comment about the coaching differences, and I think Denison is in good hands.)
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
grelch

Post by grelch »

Just turned on the Denison/KC game. Denison was up 7-1. In the 5 minutes I watched KC scored twice, and DU turned the ball over 3 or 4 times, dropped passes, missed ground balls, missed defensive assignments. Maybe I need to to not turn their games on anymore. I seem to be jinxing them. lol.
OldWU

Post by OldWU »

NCAC returning to its old form. Denison rolls 16-7 over Kenyon and OWU sinks Wittenberg 25-8. 14 different players score for the Bishops, led by attackman Henry Hasenberg with 4 goals and 6 assists. Denison paced by Cam Bowby with 5 goals and 3 assists. Friday night, April 15th will be the main event for these two at Selby Stadium in Delaware.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

MrLax2U wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:43 am The Big Red/Grove City result surprised me. GC is an improving program but I never expected them to beat Denison - Best of the West. Anybody have any insight?
You and me both MrLax. Very disappointing to say the least! Right up there with the Centre loss last year.

I know the team went down 7-0 to GC which is stunning in and of itself but I don’t have much problem with the defensive side of the ball. With enough of a sample size now, it’s the offensive side that I find troubling. I said on this thread when Koch was hired that I hoped he didn’t think the team needed an “overhaul” - that it wasn’t broken and that I hoped in particular he kept Coach Zalesky as OC. But he changed the entire coaching staff. Now I don’t know if a job was offered Coach Z and he turned it down or what, but I suspect Coach Koch wanted “his people”, particularly as a 1st time HC. That is certainly his right - but you better bring as good as your letting go and I’m not so sure at this juncture. The results and statistics indicate to me that we have backtracked on this side of the ball. And the players need to shoulder some blame too because the finishing ability of this team is not Big Red like particularly when compared to the finishing skills of the very talented and dynamic teams of 2016-2020. It’s not enough to get your hands free only to put a shot on that’s stick side chest high leading to a fast break opportunity the other way! You need to shoot to score or don’t shoot. I know that sounds obvious but with a young team it’s not always self evident. The Big Red typically has a shooting percentage of ~35% but this team is at what 27%. It would be less if you took out the 47% against Wabash. The coaches need to get this right quickly because all their goals are still in front of them. I hope they can find a more Denison like “finishing” instinct and then they can still make this a very successful season… a season they could be “Denison Proud” of.

GO BIG RED

Shooting % from the 4 Losses
Stephenson 24% and lost by 1
Lynchburg 28% and lost by 1
Dickinson 19%!!! and lost by 4
GC 23% and lost by 4

Shoot the typical Denison 35% in those games and you easily have 2, probably 3 more wins and the season has a much different narrative at this point.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Thanks for the post, Ned.

I streamed one of the games and noticed an empty pair of red, size 22EEE cleats on the sideline.

That aside I think with the AQ and 5 brackets Big Red should make a run into May.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

MrLax2U wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:04 pm Thanks for the post, Ned.

I streamed one of the games and noticed an empty pair of red, size 22EEE cleats on the sideline.

That aside I think with the AQ and 5 brackets Big Red should make a run into May.
Hahaha yes those very large shoes, I saw them too!
MarionBarry

Post by MarionBarry »

Nosey Ned wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:24 pm
MrLax2U wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:43 am The Big Red/Grove City result surprised me. GC is an improving program but I never expected them to beat Denison - Best of the West. Anybody have any insight?
You and me both MrLax. Very disappointing to say the least! Right up there with the Centre loss last year.

I know the team went down 7-0 to GC which is stunning in and of itself but I don’t have much problem with the defensive side of the ball. With enough of a sample size now, it’s the offensive side that I find troubling. I said on this thread when Koch was hired that I hoped he didn’t think the team needed an “overhaul” - that it wasn’t broken and that I hoped in particular he kept Coach Zalesky as OC. But he changed the entire coaching staff. Now I don’t know if a job was offered Coach Z and he turned it down or what, but I suspect Coach Koch wanted “his people”, particularly as a 1st time HC. That is certainly his right - but you better bring as good as your letting go and I’m not so sure at this juncture. The results and statistics indicate to me that we have backtracked on this side of the ball. And the players need to shoulder some blame too because the finishing ability of this team is not Big Red like particularly when compared to the finishing skills of the very talented and dynamic teams of 2016-2020. It’s not enough to get your hands free only to put a shot on that’s stick side chest high leading to a fast break opportunity the other way! You need to shoot to score or don’t shoot. I know that sounds obvious but with a young team it’s not always self evident. The Big Red typically has a shooting percentage of ~35% but this team is at what 27%. It would be less if you took out the 47% against Wabash. The coaches need to get this right quickly because all their goals are still in front of them. I hope they can find a more Denison like “finishing” instinct and then they can still make this a very successful season… a season they could be “Denison Proud” of.

GO BIG RED

Shooting % from the 4 Losses
Stephenson 24% and lost by 1
Lynchburg 28% and lost by 1
Dickinson 19%!!! and lost by 4
GC 23% and lost by 4

Shoot the typical Denison 35% in those games and you easily have 2, probably 3 more wins and the season has a much different narrative at this point.
Shooting clearly needs improvement but...

This is game #10 with a 1st year HC and 1st year staff...

In game #10 last year with a 30th year HC and a 7th year OC, Denison shot the ball at 20% and lost to Centre...

The Big Red will be fine.
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

I just watched part of the Wooster - DePauw game, and the bright spot for the Scots this year has got to be their play-by-play announcers. If you do only one thing today, check out a few minutes of this broadcast:

https://portal.stretchinternet.com/woos ... Type=video
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
neolacrossefan

Post by neolacrossefan »

Handful of interesting matchups this evening; the top six teams in the conference are all in action against each other. Kenyon should handle Wittenberg, OWU should roll the Scots but the most intriguing game tonight is Denison v. Oberlin @ OC. Can Oberlin keep it close throughout or even play spoiler? Two first-year head coaches leading these teams and both have had success thus far in the season.
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

Don't stop there - though not with the top-of-the-conference implications of the others, the Wabash-DePauw game should be a good one. With the lack of love between these two schools, it'll be a fun one.

Agree with neo's predictions, but going with Denison winning by at least five.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

WhiteCarrera wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:33 am I just watched part of the Wooster - DePauw game, and the bright spot for the Scots this year has got to be their play-by-play announcers. If you do only one thing today, check out a few minutes of this broadcast:

I feel the opposite. IMO broadcasts like that make D-III lacrosse look like a complete joke.
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

About once a year, I have to direct someone to my signature line....
OldWU

Post by OldWU »

WhiteCarrera wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:28 am Don't stop there - though not with the top-of-the-conference implications of the others, the Wabash-DePauw game should be a good one. With the lack of love between these two schools, it'll be a fun one.

Agree with neo's predictions, but going with Denison winning by at least five.
It's Final, DePauw beat Wabash 18-1. I see Denison beating Oberlin by at least 10.....I predict 18-6.....
grelch

Post by grelch »

Early, early in the Denison game. DU up by 4. And once again watching Denison is just plain confusing. They clearly have talent, but as every time I've watched them this season, balls popping out of sticks while being unchallenged, passes over the head or into teammate's feet. Unforced errors all over the park. One Denison player just caught a passed ball and his stick fell out of his hands. And yet, here they are pretty much scoring at will. Not sure Oberlin has had the ball for more than a few seconds.
grelch

Post by grelch »

7-1 after 1. 10-3 after 2. Oberlin did manage to mostly shut the open door they had in front of net in the 2nd, but Denison is in control of this game. Not going to be able to watch the rest of the game. I'll be curious to see how this plays out. I'll be surprised if Oberlin manages to chip away at the lead, tbh.
OldWU

Post by OldWU »

Got to say I was wrong....Oberlin impressed. After being down 7-0, Yeomen played Denison even up the the rest of the way and lost 16-9. I was switching back and forth between the OWU-Wooster game, but they pass the ball well and are much improved. Oberlin-Kenyon should be a good game.

Just my opinion on the female student announcer from Wooster. I liked her! She keeps it light and breezy and roots for her guys but compliments both teams. Good sense of humor and knows the game. I'm guessing she plays or played lacrosse.
neolacrossefan

Post by neolacrossefan »

OldWU wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:38 pm Got to say I was wrong....Oberlin impressed. After being down 7-0, Yeomen played Denison even up the the rest of the way and lost 16-9. I was switching back and forth between the OWU-Wooster game, but they pass the ball well and are much improved. Oberlin-Kenyon should be a good game.

Just my opinion on the female student announcer from Wooster. I liked her! She keeps it light and breezy and roots for her guys but compliments both teams. Good sense of humor and knows the game. I'm guessing she plays or played lacrosse.
Agreed. Denison jumped all over them early but it was good to see Oberlin respond positively. Crazy to think that this was the first time these two teams played since 2019! Wooster put up a fight early which was good to see as well before OWU ultimately pulling away.

I don't think the gap is closing between the top and middle of the conference yet but it is good to see a team like Oberlin be much more improved and will hopefully keep trending that way. I am impressed with what their first year HC has done so far without bringing in a recruiting class yet. Seems like the culture is shifting.

Hopefully Wooster can hire a coach that can help them take the next step to play the top teams competitively each year. The smaller the gap between teams, the better it is for the conference.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

WhiteCarrera wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:33 am I just watched part of the Wooster - DePauw game, and the bright spot for the Scots this year has got to be their play-by-play announcers. If you do only one thing today, check out a few minutes of this broadcast:

Those two are $$$. A cross between Call Her Daddy and Mystery Science Theatre. Some enterprising young member of the AV club could edit up their highlights and go viral on YouTube.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”