Roanoke 2022

D3 Mens Lacrosse
BigFella

Re: Roanoke 2022

Post by BigFella »

Roanoke threw all but the kitchen sink at them defensively. 5 man zone with a shut… guessing they’ll opt for something different come odac tourney time
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

Roanoke looked better last night. They have next week off so hopefully they can clean up a few things and be fresh for a playoff run.
I believe Kammerman set the season points record last night, impressive considering the many great attackman who have played for the Maroons.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

JustOneTime wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:36 am Roanoke looked better last night. They have next week off so hopefully they can clean up a few things and be fresh for a playoff run.
I believe Kammerman set the season points record last night, impressive considering the many great attackman who have played for the Maroons.
He did at 93 and counting, very nice player. Previous record was 91. He could hit the career number of 281 and would love to see him do it, just not against the Generals . Only 3 teams have kept him quiet, CNU 0-1, Lynchburg 1-1 and W&L D did a nice job as well 0-2. Great shooter 40% and a very adept feeder, well balanced offensively he can distribute. For as much as he is forced to carry the offense he doesn’t turn the ball over. He needs some help on face offs gaining possessions and some additional offensive players to get to 281 pts…
Next few games will be interesting to see for Roanoke. They only graduate 3 significant contributors this year. If they can develop 3-4 key players they may have something going next year. Like to see them along with the other 3 traditionally stronger teams take a step up next year
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

I see 2024 as the year they can be very good. Depth is a bit of an issue so development of a few guys is key. The next two recruiting classes will also play a big roll. The team needs to stay together. Leadership from the upper classmen and coaches will be important. They also need to believe they can hang with W&L and Lynchburg, that is a large hurdle but not impossible.
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

Any words of wisdom for the Lynchburg game on Friday?
BigFella

Post by BigFella »

Noke played probably their worst game vs the bugs last time around, credit to Lynchburg for forcing that as well…

I think a moderate dose of #11 Sullivan facing off for Noke. He had success vs catholic and cortland. Not sure what his deal is but could see some sort of mixup there. I think if they can win faceoffs at even a 40% clip, they have a chance. I’d expect they won’t be 5 man zone shutting Lewis the whole game. I see zone, man, some shorty shuts, the kitchen sink to throw them off even a little. Offensively, nothing new, just have to execute and minimize mistakes. Just make it a game going into the fourth, inject some belief in that sideline and anything can happen.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Noke O has to have a superior game because the D will not, they just aren’t that good. Stay out of the penalty box, turn the face off into a scrum and go 50% overall on Gb’s . Have to think Noke will need 13 or more to win it. The problem for Noke is if Lynchburg shuts off or limits Kammermann’s opportunities it’s game set match. Coach K knows that so it’s will be an uphill battle for Noke to pull off the upset. Agree in that if you can keep it close to the 4th anything can happen
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

I agree with the stuff you guys have written. Need to limit the Lynchburg possessions by getting 50% of the face offs and clearing well. Staying out of the penalty box is a must.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

IMO Roanoke should double pole the wings on every FO. I think they need to have a huge TOP advantage in this game if they have any hope of pulling the upset, and that obviously starts with the FOs. They should slow it down on O and hunt the best shot, nothing but zone on D and hope that Lewis is seeing the ball. Lewis should also be prepared to take the ball up the field as necessary, have to clear the ball flawlessly and it might have to be the goalie that does a lot of that. He does handle the ball well. They should run fresh legs out between the lines all game too, keep the energy high and give Burg some different personnel looks.
It should be noted that Noke has not really done any of this all season, so who knows.
"Adapt or perish, now as ever, is nature's inexorable imperative."
Let's go Noke.
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

Well, did not see this NCAA bid coming but will surely take it. Does anyone know how Gettysburg plays, strengths / weaknesses?
BigFella

Post by BigFella »

Haven’t seen Gettysburg play. Also been some time since Noke has played Gettysburg. Unfamiliarity probably doesn’t favor any team but definitely makes it a little more fun.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Seen Gettysburg twice , they are probably on par with Lynchburg so it will be a tough game for Roanoke. I don’t see how 2 teams got pool C bids 😳. ODAC did poorly in OOC games, all three teams need to step up!
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

It seems as though the Gettysburg D is very good and the goalie is solid as well. What is their midfield and attack like? If they have great dodgers then it could be a long day for the Maroons.
BigFella

Post by BigFella »

Strictly based off numbers. Looks like gburg struggles to score at times. Man up is under 30% and have had some low scoring games. Similarly, under 50% at the dot.
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

It sounds like they resemble W&L a bit. If so that may be good for the Maroons.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

Gettysburg's defense is very stout, goalie (when playing well) is AA caliber. Gettysburg's weakness (I have been to or watched just about every game this year) is on the offensive side of the ball. They sometimes get very stagnant and predictable. They have a lot of offensive talent but for some reason have not been able to develop much consistency or flow all season. Another thing to watch is the first qtr, several teams, Salisbury, CNU, Amherst, Dickinson have jumped out to huge leads, 5-7 goals and although Gburg was able to steady the ship and play pretty much even for the rest of the game, they were not able to overcome those early deficits.
Should be a good game.
GO BULLETS
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

JustOneTime wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 4:08 pm It sounds like they resemble W&L a bit. If so that may be good for the Maroons.
Personnel offensively is a little bit better than W&L’s. Definitely bigger, they have a couple of big middies that have been injured and are now healthy.
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

Roanoke does not have many big bodies so they tend to struggle against teams with size. The Maroons are quick though. Sometimes speed can trump size.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

JustOneTime wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 9:33 am Roanoke does not have many big bodies so they tend to struggle against teams with size. The Maroons are quick though. Sometimes speed can trump size.
They actually do have some size, 52 and 54 are monsters but they hardly play. They had an A/M a few years back who was 6'7", I think he's playing D1 now. It's too bad he transferred, I would have liked to have seen how he developed.

The problem is really a lack of size and speed at times in the middle of the field. 40 is very fast, hasn't played that much either.

Anyway, I think all of this hints at good things to come in the next few seasons with the younger talent as long as the transfer bug doesn't hit. As for Saturday, if they can win FOs and get off to a good start I think they have a fair chance.

I have to believe that the guys thought their season was over after losing to Lynchburg. A team that thinks it's dead and then comes back from the beyond is usually a team that feels like it has nothing to lose, and that's a dangerous team to face in May.
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

I was speaking more about the midfield and D that lack size. Size does not really matter with attackman IMO. That tall guy who left the program was a bad apple and did not go D1, he did not continue playing lacrosse at all. He would have been a drag on the culture of the program were he still around.
I do believe that the future is bright assuming the next few recruiting classes are solid. The maroons can score so hopefully we win the possession battle and take care of the ball. I agree that they have nothing to loose and will not go down without a fight.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”