York 2022

D3 Mens Lacrosse
DeepPocket

Re: York 2022

Post by DeepPocket »

smoova wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:51 pm This is a little confusing. ;)
Sure it is. When you cut out any sentences that explain it.
DeepPocket wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:30 pm … what I think or want doesn’t matter.
But I did call it….
DeepPocket wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:30 pm And before the peanut gallery shows up,
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
smoova

Post by smoova »

DeepPocket wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:56 pm
smoova wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:51 pm This is a little confusing. ;)
Sure it is. When you cut out any sentences that explain it.
I apologize for shortening your post with selective quotes. I was just surprised to see someone post that beating a team doesn't make the victor a better team, but that on-field results do matter.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

The on field results are the only thing that matters. However look all throughout sports history. When lessor teams have won games, you think that then and there they become the better team? They’re the winner. And that’s all that matters, but better?

Tyree catching a football against his helmet made the Giants not just the game winner, but a better team than the yet undefeated Patriots?
smoova

Post by smoova »

DeepPocket wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:31 pm The on field results are the only thing that matters. However look all throughout sports history. When lessor teams have won games, you think that then and there they become the better team? They’re the winner. And that’s all that matters, but better?

Tyree catching a football against his helmet made the Giants not just the game winner, but a better team than the yet undefeated Patriots?
I think I understand your point - single games can be outliers. It's the reason that baseball/basketball/hockey playoffs have multiple-game series - it helps eliminate outliers. So, I can agree that a 1-goal win may not determine the "better" lacrosse team (e.g. RIP may not be "better" than RIT), but (IMO) at some goal differential, the victor is definitely better - whether that's because of talent, focus, coaching, matchups, injuries, field/weather conditions, etc. I'd put that number at 4 goals (which is why your Union/Tufts example caught my attention) but I fully appreciate that your number may be different.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

smoova wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:50 pm
DeepPocket wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:31 pm The on field results are the only thing that matters. However look all throughout sports history. When lessor teams have won games, you think that then and there they become the better team? They’re the winner. And that’s all that matters, but better?

I think I understand your point - single games can be outliers. It's the reason that baseball/basketball/hockey playoffs have multiple-game series - it helps eliminate outliers. So, I can agree that a 1-goal win may not determine the "better" lacrosse team (e.g. RIP may not be "better" than RIT), but (IMO) at some goal differential, the victor is definitely better - whether that's because of talent, focus, coaching, matchups, injuries, field/weather conditions, etc. I'd put that number at 4 goals (which is why your Union/Tufts example caught my attention) but I fully appreciate that your number may be different.
Fair assessment. I look forward to watching more of Union’s coming games.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

DeepPocket wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:30 pm…I look at York, Union and StJF in a similar vein…
After watching that very entertaining Union StJF game, I double down on this. I believe York’s D would hold both of them sub 10 goals and York’s O could hang. And it would be a great game.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

DeepPocket wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:53 pm
DeepPocket wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:30 pm…I look at York, Union and StJF in a similar vein…
After watching that very entertaining Union StJF game, I double down on this. I believe York’s D would hold both of them sub 10 goals and York’s O could hang. And it would be a great game.
Agreed on all this. York Union would be A very entertaining game featuring 2 of the Best defenses in the country.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

I was very high on York ( meaning final the goal) at the seasons start. I still am but I need to see now at mid season the Gburg game to see where they are at. I thought they’d beat W&L by 5-7. First game of the year so I gave them a pass. In the 2 losses I didn’t think they played poorly but nothing that said final 4. Gburg is their litmus test.. I’d like to see a dominant win. At the moment they are not what I thought they’d be. Watching. SJF And Union last night w the eye test I did not see York in the picture.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:48 pm I was very high on York ( meaning final the goal) at the seasons start. I still am but I need to see now at mid season the Gburg game to see where they are at. I thought they’d beat W&L by 5-7. First game of the year so I gave them a pass. In the 2 losses I didn’t think they played poorly but nothing that said final 4. Gburg is their litmus test.. I’d like to see a dominant win. At the moment they are not what I thought they’d be. Watching. SJF And Union last night w the eye test I did not see York in the picture.
I saw it differently, and that’s fine.

To me, it as a wildly entertaining game between two closely matched teams. And while I felt Union looked like the better of the two, with a few key man-ups keeping StJf around at times in the second half, no elements jumped out at me as screaming “final 4” about either of them.

The scoring and pace looked to me like the type of game that York generally does very well in.

What I saw, to me, reinforced my personal feeling that these teams are in a talent grouping together. And nothing jumped out at me as final 4 about them. So perhaps our differences in views on York aren’t that large after all.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

DeepPocket wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:30 pm
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:48 pm I was very high on York ( meaning final the goal) at the seasons start. I still am but I need to see now at mid season the Gburg game to see where they are at. I thought they’d beat W&L by 5-7. First game of the year so I gave them a pass. In the 2 losses I didn’t think they played poorly but nothing that said final 4. Gburg is their litmus test.. I’d like to see a dominant win. At the moment they are not what I thought they’d be. Watching. SJF And Union last night w the eye test I did not see York in the picture.
I saw it differently, and that’s fine.

To me, it as a wildly entertaining game between two closely matched teams. And while I felt Union looked like the better of the two, with a few key man-ups keeping StJf around at times in the second half, no elements jumped out at me as screaming “final 4” about either of them.

The scoring and pace looked to me like the type of game that York generally does very well in.

What I saw, to me, reinforced my personal feeling that these teams are in a talent grouping together. And nothing jumped out at me as final 4 about them. So perhaps our differences in views on York aren’t that large after all.
I watch SJF vs Naz last week and was not impressed. I still put York in that second group

RIT
Salisbury
CNU
Are all just better than the rest. They call can be beaten (RPI had a great game)

Union
York
Tufts
All have a chance to upset and compete for the title

SJF
Bowdoin
Dickenson
None of them show the ability to take down the top group
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Jumbo wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:48 pm
I watch SJF vs Naz last week and was not impressed. I still put York in that second group

RIT
Salisbury
CNU
Are all just better than the rest. They call can be beaten (RPI had a great game)

Union
York
Tufts
All have a chance to upset and compete for the title

SJF
Bowdoin
Dickenson
None of them show the ability to take down the top group
York is in my second group too.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

I have seen all the teams in the top group and feel like they are a cut above and actually feel like CNU looks like it can play with Salisbury. York has actually been playing very well. Again I think that Union Plays RIT this week so you will get a good look at them as well.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Well my plans changed. Didn’t see any of it. Anybody have insight?
YCOLaxFanSU

Post by YCOLaxFanSU »

Checked in towards the end of the 1st half assuming York would be up by at least 5 and was intrigued that it was tied at 1 in the late 1st half so I watched online for most of the 2nd half. Many have talked about how great York's defense is and that was clearly on display. From the defense to the goal keeper they were stout. However, several have mentioned the offense being a difference between a really good team and a national championship contender and unfortunately that was on display as well.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

DeepPocket wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:53 pm
Swarthmore is taking down Gburg. I may have to wait to see where York is at in their season 😂
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

I actually thought that York’s offense was very vanilla and predictable and I did not see some of the variety of offense that we had seen the past few weeks. Cabrini worked very hard to slow York’s fast break offense and that slowed them down and the offense did not shoot particularly well.

Defensively they were excellent as I can only recall three goals that were 6v6. The defense we outstanding as I thought Cabrini Could not win their individual match at any point last night.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

The boys do love a good rock fight don’t they…

I’m intrigued by Townsend. The first year attackman has been seeing late time, and scoring, against lessor competition. In this tight game vs a ranked opponent he got in in the 4th and did what he’s been doing. Perhaps he’s going to see even more critical time down the road.

Here’s hoping the offense continues it’s growth.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Townsend was inserted on EMO as the inside guy a couple of weeks ago. He is the son of a coach so he really understands the game. He is a good shooter and finisher and is strong for a freshman. They also really like the Freshman Burbank who is red shirting with a ACL. I think it will be one of those kids to take over for Ames when he graduates.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Asgot wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:28 am Townsend was inserted on EMO as the inside guy a couple of weeks ago. He is the son of a coach so he really understands the game. He is a good shooter and finisher and is strong for a freshman…
DeepPocket wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:21 am …Son of former RPI head coach and Salisbury lacrosse alum Jim Townsend.
Yea, I’d say he’s been in good hands.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”