Salisbury 2022

D3 Mens Lacrosse
YCOLaxFanSU

Salisbury 2022

Post by YCOLaxFanSU »

Captains for next season have been announced. Looks like Ferrara, Bromwell, and Woodward are returning.
Goldenboy

Re: Salisbury 2022

Post by Goldenboy »

What about Apgar?
ALaudico7

Post by ALaudico7 »

Goldenboy wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:00 pm What about Apgar?
According to the "Transfer Portal 2022" page in the D1 section, both Apgar and Moroney are in the portal as grad transfers for next year.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

Goldenboy wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:00 pm What about Apgar?
reportedly going to Rutgers.
Pinchnpop

Post by Pinchnpop »

Awfully quiet around hear? 🦗🦗🦗 Maroon and Gold game Saturday, looking forward to a good game or few.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Did anyone see the Maroon & Gild scrimmages? Can someone give the fans an idea what the 2022 team looks like? Some big shoes to fill; Malamphy, Apgar, Maroney, Berkowicz, Melton, Greik, Ellis etc. I guess the four year ring cycle has been broken. How's morale?
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

The Gulls will be enjoying a lot of home cooking this year - 12 home games and only 5 away games. I like that Coach Berkman continues to schedule games against some of the Divisions lesser teams (no disrespect) that want to measure themselves against the historically most successful program in D3 mens lacrosse. They will most likely learn they have a lot of work ahead of them to become nationally relevant - but nonetheless I think it helps grow the game. Kudos to Coach B.

Surprised to see no OWU this year. Would love to hear any info on how that played out ... just taking a break or more to it? Mr Lax - anything on this development?

Lastly - how do the Gulls fans feel about the C2C alignment? Only 2 Conference games. Haven't been following this too closely, is this a short term arrangement?
LarumVictoia

Post by LarumVictoia »

MrLax2U wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:45 pm Some big shoes to fill; Malamphy, Apgar, Maroney, Berkowicz, Melton, Greik, Ellis etc.
Big shoes indeed and can't forget Kevin Murphy & Pierre Armstrong when discussing that group. I think morale is always high in Salisbury.

Don't be surprised if the Gulls come back strong-

D Craig Ballard 6'-7' 215lb's gives glimpses that remind me of Will Nowesnick,

LSM - John DeFazio - Mark my words... this kid will be an AA. Anybody who watched Jackson Woodward last season knows he probably should have been an AA

Mids - Bromwell, Jack Dowd & Nestor still holding down that 1st line midfield. I think Dowd is another likely AA before this thing is allover- If Nestor steps it up to the next level, watch out.

Attack - Returning POY Ferrara and I'd guess Isaac Thrasher and Logan Poser will take the next two attack spots. Ferrara will need to keep improving his feeding game with the loss of Melton and Armstrong. Posner has the ability to feed some as well.

DM - Returning seasoned vet Saulino at shortstick

G- Matty Back came through when they needed him last year- Hoping to see this kid keep progressing.

Let's not forget that Salisbury has been to 4 of the last 5 national championships and within 3 total points of winning the last two- Not really much has changed in my opinion. If you want to chance to win a national championship, not sure there's a better place to go.
Pinchnpop

Post by Pinchnpop »

D- Thomas Ballard, and Zach Timmons! They both will be fun to watch and the third guy? You never know?

Attack will be just fine! Cross, Thrasher, and alot of guys with plenty of playing time.

Middies- Oh boy, this is gonna be fun!

LSM- FAZZY Bear, and Luke Pirolli also looked good during Maroon and Gold

Goalie- Matty Back and a transfer

Fogo- Sweeney been sitting in back seat behind Malamphy, ready to shine now. As a team should be a very strong face off unit.

Ssdm- Jackson, Joe Saulino, and Glushkow.

Looks pretty solid GO GULLS!
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Ned, OWU is Salisbury's third longest lax rivalry. If there is a hiatus, I'd guess it's Covid related due to the length of the bus trip. This rivalry survived a physical attack on the Gull team at the OWU field by their band, fans and players in the 90s. That could be how they got the name “Battlin Bishops”. I didn’t see the incident but maybe some of the Bishops from their school were out there throwing punches.

Some of the Gull fans would like to see Big Red visit during the regular season from time to time. We'd also like to see the occasional Northern team such as Cortland, SJF and one of the NESCAC teams.

Larum & Pinch; Nice posts, thank you.

Who will be the "Go To" guy on the 2022 Gull team? This is a player who'll carry the team on his back, if necessary. His grit and toughness makes everyone else tougher. He gives his teammates that extra something that wins the close ones. Think Bradman/Cannone or Kylor Berkman or Jason Coffman. Or an “Eat Your Lunch” defender like Martin, Sellers, Kraus, Tucker, Dabbs or someone who orders rusty nails on burnt toast for breakfast like Leeds.

Not to disparage anyone but some of us thought the last three NCs were winnable.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

MrLax2U wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:11 am Ned, OWU is Salisbury's third longest lax rivalry. If there is a hiatus, I'd guess it's Covid related due to the length of the bus trip. This rivalry survived a physical attack on the Gull team at the OWU field by their band, fans and players in the 90s. That could be how they got the name “Battlin Bishops”...
OWU has been the Battling Bishops since before most of us were born, and for numerous decades before that 1990s melee. There were some good Salisbury v OWU games in fairly recent years, including over-time contests in 2015, 2016 and 2018, although the Gulls dominated in 2019 and 2020.

Any thoughts on the conference re-alignment and what sort of composition Salisbury's conference might eventually have? Good luck to the Seagulls in 2022!
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Fann, Thanks for your post.

The C2C conference is working well for now. MWU and CNU get to choose and pick among the ODAC teams and Salisbury has enough room on its schedule to operate as a semi independent. Last year SU and CNU played 4 times which is too many times although some fans think it helped CNU advance to the semis.

You could argue either way but Salisbury may have been better served if one of those games had been against a different team.
LarumVictoia

Post by LarumVictoia »

MrLax2U wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:11 am
Who will be the "Go To" guy on the 2022 Gull team? This is a player who'll carry the team on his back, if necessary. His grit and toughness makes everyone else tougher. He gives his teammates that extra something that wins the close ones. Think Bradman/Cannone or Kylor Berkman or Jason Coffman. Or an “Eat Your Lunch” defender like Martin, Sellers, Kraus, Tucker, Dabbs or someone who orders rusty nails on burnt toast for breakfast like Leeds.
i us thought the last three NCs were winnable.
I agree that it would have been better for the Gulls to have been challenged a little more during the playoffs similar to 2019. You like your team to get tested and deal with a little adversity heading into a championship. Who knows how the 2017 would have ended if they hadn't made through that Dennison thriller.

No question the last three were winnable but it's hard to argue that the parity in today's game is making it tougher to win year over year. If we're looking for a Go-To guy, I'm hoping it will be on the defensive side. The offense doesn't need anybody taking a disproportionate amount of shots. May be sacrilege to even mention, but I think the coaching could have been better last year (especially in the NC). I don't think that team had any issue with toughness - I think Berkman leaned too hard on a couple offensive guys in the 2nd half when they had other legitimate weapons that were having real success. They waited too long into the season to move Armstrong up to that top line to get into a real groove and allow chemistry to set in. But oh well... I'm still pretty proud of all those teams.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Ryan Brown named 5th Captain.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
YCOLaxFanSU

Post by YCOLaxFanSU »

DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

By my count:

12 freshmen
14 sophomores
11 juniors
8 true senoirs
4 fifth year
1 sixth year

5 goalies on the roster.
I’m most intrigued by the Ohio State GK xfer. Will he slide into the starting role?
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
richard

Post by richard »

How is Borcowicz still on the roster? He played full seasons 17,18,19,21 plus the shortened 20 season. Is that real or mistake?
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

richard wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:48 pm How is Borcowicz still on the roster? He played full seasons 17,18,19,21 plus the shortened 20 season. Is that real or mistake?
The 2021 season did not count against any D3 athletes eligibility clock. Only D2 and D3.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”