D3 All Americans 2021

D3 Mens Lacrosse
ah23

Re: D3 All Americans 2021

Post by ah23 »

DeepPocket wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 8:38 pm they didn’t have a particularly strong schedule THIS YEAR. And that isn’t limited to them BTW, a lot of teams were affected by the this to varying degrees. You just seem to be unwilling to accept that.
We’ve gotten mixed up here talking back and forth. The NESCAC was absolutely down this year. Our disagreement is about the degree of decline. Obviously Tufts wasn’t running through a traditional NESCAC slate, but I think you’re overstating how much the general level dropped. That’s all.
And since now I’m being called dishonest, go back and re-read my posts.
That was in reference to the comment that seemed to imply that Tufts’ limited schedule was their fault and a result of dragging their feet or not being proactive.
I took issue with your stance that NESCAC strength of schedule issues should be overlooked due to Covid (though now you oddly seem to feel like they don’t have any strength of schedule issues), while simultaneously using strength of schedule as a large mark against the other mentioned players.
AFAIK, the only SOS criticisms I have made are of players in conferences that are so bad they may as well be in D-IV. I have not made any SOS criticisms about teams in legitimate conferences (now ask me about Stevenson or Cabrini :D ). Using Tufts’ SOS to ding them against certain players from power conferences makes some sense (depending on how the players in question did against top level opponents).
We don’t need a 1st team AA. Just a Tufts roster. I don’t believe this conversation is going anywhere. If you want to reply put it in the 2019 or 2020 NESCAC thread where it belongs.
The NESCAC isn’t the only conference that had teams with truncated schedules - the Centennial and Liberty League are part of this conversation just the same. And I’m definitely not arguing that Tufts should stuff the 1st/2nd/3rd teams if that’s the implication here; if anything I actually end up arguing the opposite most years. Voters love to inflate their players because of the team success/reputation, and it always drives me crazy.
Laxfan862

Post by Laxfan862 »

AFAIK, the only SOS criticisms I have made are of players in conferences that are so bad they may as well be in D-IV. I have not made any SOS criticisms about teams in legitimate conferences (now ask me about Stevenson or Cabrini :D ). Using Tufts’ SOS to ding them against certain players from power conferences makes some sense (depending on how the players in question did against top level opponents).

I’d say Stevenson’s SOS was pretty good? The MAC has 4 good teams in York, Stevenson, Eastern, and Widener. Stevenson also beat Steven’s tech. I think their strength of schedule was great this year
Gullible

Post by Gullible »

[/quote]
Voters love to inflate their players because of the team success/reputation, and it always drives me crazy.
[/quote]

Yes, there often does appear to be a correlation between the best teams and best players
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Gullible wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 3:36 pm Yes, there often does appear to be a correlation between the best teams and best players
Well yeah...that's what I've been saying should be the case this whole time. I'm obviously not talking about the clear First Team guys, I'm talking about complimentary (or less) players on those teams who don't really stand out over star players from other teams.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Congrats to Jared Nelson for earning 3rd team AA honors from US Lacrosse magazine.

https://usalaxmagazine.com/college/men/ ... -americans
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

DeepPocket wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:12 pm Congrats to Jared Nelson for earning 3rd team AA honors from US Lacrosse magazine.

Clearly US Lax Magazine over weighted number of games played when making its selections, but games played is just a data point and I am okay with it.
2laxers

Post by 2laxers »

Bromwell is not a 1st team AA. He can shoot there is no question about that, but he can’t create his own shot against good teams. Step down shooters are a dime a dozen. He doesn’t get AA without the other 6 AA on the team which is a whole discussion on its own.
LarumVictoia

Post by LarumVictoia »

2laxers wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 8:28 pm Bromwell is not a 1st team AA. He can shoot there is no question about that, but he can’t create his own shot against good teams. Step down shooters are a dime a dozen. He doesn’t get AA without the other 6 AA on the team which is a whole discussion on its own.
This is almost laughable- I'm sorry but you either don't know what you're talking about or you haven't been watching much of Bromwell play - He's been dominant and rest assured he brings a lot more than step down shooting to the Gulls squad.

While you're at it, why don't you elaborate on the last statement in your post. Sounds like you're questioning the other 6 AA's named as well. Looks like that is a pretty solid group IMHO. Pretty bush league when posters try to tear down college players by name on this forum -
Salisbury is right where they want to be right now. The Gulls always start slow and improve immensely throughout their season and this year is no exception. I can't tell you who will win it all, but I say with confidence that this Gulls team has has as good of a chance as any other team remaining. They're healthy, they've got the players, they've got the most experience, home field in quarters and likely semis and they've been listening to crap similar to what you posted since the loss in week one - I'm liking their odds.

GO GULLS!!
laxbro1955

Post by laxbro1955 »

does anyone know why Lacrosse Magazine picked there Pre season and all American from 10 teams Im sure there had to be players on teams without the status of the same teams they only follow year after year. Thought all American was about individual play and not team play. Easy to look good and have stats on dominate teams
jusreLaxin

Post by jusreLaxin »

2laxers wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 8:28 pm Bromwell is not a 1st team AA. He can shoot there is no question about that, but he can’t create his own shot against good teams. Step down shooters are a dime a dozen. He doesn’t get AA without the other 6 AA on the team which is a whole discussion on its own.
I'd say I would agree with this.
While you're at it, why don't you elaborate on the last statement in your post. Sounds like you're questioning the other 6 AA's named as well
I think 2laxers is just commenting on the need for these players ability to create, and play as well as they do to give Bromwell the opportunity to shoot.I don't think Bromwell can run with the stick in left hand, much less create offense offhand, so he's typically parked on his island with tons of leverage waiting for his shot. Actually, I think Ferarra has to work harder because if this...
2laxers

Post by 2laxers »

jusreLaxin wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:13 am
I'd say I would agree with this.
While you're at it, why don't you elaborate on the last statement in your post. Sounds like you're questioning the other 6 AA's named as well
I think 2laxers is just commenting on the need for these players ability to create, and play as well as they do to give Bromwell the opportunity to shoot.I don't think Bromwell can run with the stick in left hand, much less create offense offhand, so he's typically parked on his island with tons of leverage waiting for his shot. Actually, I think Ferarra has to work harder because if this...
This was my point, and I wasn't trying to tear him done. I think he should be an AA just not a 1st team. It's only an opinion.
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

I wonder how many of the kids bring their AA certificate to job interviews? Kidding aside I guarantee 85% of that list would trade the AA honors for a deep run in the tournament and a chance at a ring.....
jusreLaxin

Post by jusreLaxin »

Sidelinehorn! wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:01 pm I wonder how many of the kids bring their AA certificate to job interviews? Kidding aside I guarantee 85% of that list would trade the AA honors for a deep run in the tournament and a chance at a ring.....
I would bring my AA certificate to a job interview, but unfortunately it's a different AA certificate. And, I also agree with you!
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Sidelinehorn! wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 2:01 pm I wonder how many of the kids bring their AA certificate to job interviews? Kidding aside I guarantee 85% of that list would trade the AA honors for a deep run in the tournament and a chance at a ring.....
If I were lucky enough to earn AA honor in DIII lacrosse, I would definitely put it on my resume. Plenty of employer’s are looking for the type of person that is dedicated enough and talented enough to successfully manage school and athletics for the pure love of the game. Wall Street certainly is .... the street is packed with collegiate lacrosse players
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Obviously personal things or cheap shots should be off-limits, but measured, constructive criticism of a player does not equal "tearing them down". They aren't children.
sipecoth

Post by sipecoth »

Well the # of games didn't necessarily play in to it, IMO. Zach Danemann from SVU deserves a look if that's the case. SVU played the biggest schedule of any team in D3 (16 games). Their SOS is pretty tough (6th toughest according to Laxpower), and includes 5 of the 8 teams still left in the tournament.

Zach averaged 4.9ppg (3.6 G/1.3 A) against the following competition:

#11 Colorado Col.
#14 Hampden-Sydney
#15 Washington and Lee
#3 Salisbury
#9 Chris. Newport
at #3 Salisbury
at #5 Lynchburg
at #6 Cabrini
at #9 Chris. Newport
at #9 Chris. Newport

He averaged 6.7 PPG (5.2 G / 1.5 A) against the following competition.

at Mary Washington
at St. Mary's (Md.)
Mary Washington
Pfeiffer
St. Mary's (Md.)
vs. Ill. Wesleyan

I doubt he came up in the conversation because he's on an under .500 team. But he's a two-time first team CAC/C2C attackman, and for me that carries a fair amount of weight...especially when in 2019 he was first team attack over players from Salisbury, CNU and York.

SVU will be in a new conference next year, and their record will be better. Zach's number will be significantly higher, but I'm not sure he will have played any better a season than he did this year against the competition he played against.

Hopefully he'll get a shot at some AA recognition next year.
sipecoth

Post by sipecoth »

DeepPocket wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 5:12 pm Congrats to Jared Nelson for earning 3rd team AA honors from US Lacrosse magazine.

Agreed. I've seen him play a bunch, and love the way he plays.
COGULL

Post by COGULL »

sipecoth wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:35 pm I doubt he came up in the conversation because he's on an under .500 team. But he's a two-time first team CAC/C2C attackman, and for me that carries a fair amount of weight...especially when in 2019 he was first team attack over players from Salisbury, CNU and York.

SVU will be in a new conference next year, and their record will be better. Zach's number will be significantly higher, but I'm not sure he will have played any better a season than he did this year against the competition he played against.

Hopefully he'll get a shot at some AA recognition next year.
Agreed- He's a very good player and has the numbers to be considered.
sipecoth

Post by sipecoth »

I haven't seen Bredahl play, but ran into a teammate of his yesterday...from the Golf team. Turns out he plays golf in the fall, and lax in the spring. Pretty impressive.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

USILA D-III All Americans and award winners released. Definitely a few surprises but generally speaking the best players are on these teams. Still ridiculous that the AA teams have four or five of each field position, but what can you do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”