Pfeifffer's Jared Nelson w/ chance break all time NCAA scoring record

D3 Mens Lacrosse
droliver

Pfeifffer's Jared Nelson w/ chance break all time NCAA scoring record

Post by droliver »

Just saw this # but D3 Pfeiffer College senior attackman Jared Nelson is poised to break the all time NCAA lacrosse scoring record. Going into the USA South Conference finals next week, where Pfeiffer is a heavy favorite over Piedmont to win and earn an NCAA tournament bid, Nelson has 433 career points (151g 292A on 63 GP), needing another 18 points to break Jason Coffman's (Salisbury, 93-96 — 451points (249G, 202A in 62GP) all time record.

https://www.gofalconsports.com/sports/m ... iew=career
MrLax2U

Re: Pfeifffer's Jared Nelson w/ chance break all time NCAA scoring record

Post by MrLax2U »

thank you for the post. When John Uppgren (Tufts 2016) didn't break Coffman's record, I thought it was secure.
Good luck to Jared Nelson.
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

droliver wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:47 pm Just saw this # but D3 Pfeiffer College senior attackman Jared Nelson is poised to break the all time NCAA lacrosse scoring record. Going into the USA South Conference finals next week, where Pfeiffer is a heavy favorite over Piedmont to win and earn an NCAA tournament bid, Nelson has 433 career points (151g 292A on 63 GP), needing another 18 points to break Jason Coffman's (Salisbury, 93-96 — 451points (249G, 202A in 62GP) all time record.

Hell he might break the record in one game given how bad that conference is.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

thescottharris wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:56 pm
droliver wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:47 pm Just saw this # but D3 Pfeiffer College senior attackman Jared Nelson is poised to break the all time NCAA lacrosse scoring record. Going into the USA South Conference finals next week, where Pfeiffer is a heavy favorite over Piedmont to win and earn an NCAA tournament bid, Nelson has 433 career points (151g 292A on 63 GP), needing another 18 points to break Jason Coffman's (Salisbury, 93-96 — 451points (249G, 202A in 62GP) all time record.

I hope your intent wasn’t as snarky as it comes across. We all know the conference but still it’s an accomplishment this young man shouldn’t have to apologize for.... 6.9 points avg per game, well done Jared. I want to wish you good luck in your attempt to break the record!
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Those are huge #’s probably over quite fewer games played. Congratulations ,
ergit

Post by ergit »

Nosey Ned wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:16 pm

I hope your intent wasn’t as snarky as it comes across. We all know the conference but still it’s an accomplishment this young man shouldn’t have to apologize for.... 6.9 points avg per game, well done Jared. I want to wish you good luck in your attempt to break the record!
Some people are just negative...
It would be a great accomplishment and the recognition well deserved.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

Yes- there will always be haters but records are meant to be broken

Coffman did it playing at Salisbury during a time when his team won two titles and reached the qtrs and semis in the tournament.
Arguably against much better competition. As a result he was a 4 time first team AA, 3 time D3 Attackman of the Year, & 2 time D3 Player of the Year. Certainly he was a great player on great Salisbury teams.

Nelson, albeit playing against weaker competition, has done it without the supporting cast of players and the national exposure that Coffman had. I suspect that all the opposing defensive schemes were focused on Nelson over his playing career & the doubles, triples and face-guarding were commonplace every time he took the field and he still managed to put up these numbers. All that said I find his 2 to 1 Assist to Goal ratio remarkable. 292 A /151 G. What a team player! Anyone who has played lacrosse knows the value of a teammate that has vision and can set others up. The thought of 292 assists is mind blowing knowing that so many goals are unassisted today. All this while getting little or no recognition along the way.

I hope he breaks it and gets some well deserved recognition.
richard

Post by richard »

The kid has a great pedigree too. Congrats.
SouthernLaxGenius

Post by SouthernLaxGenius »

If he doesn't break it this year and he graduates, he could (still) come back again next year and smash it for sure (with the new legislation the NCAA passed down).

Piedmont game is going to be a battle and a fun one to watch.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

I saw Jared Nelson play in high school (NYS section 4). Great stick skills and well liked by his teammates. His two older brothers played D1 lacrosse (Jake bounced around and ended up at Syracuse, Tucker was a star at Binghamton University). Tucker is now the Pfeiffer head coach, so it is extra cool to see Jared challenging the record with his brother coaching the team.

The father, Scott Nelson, won multiple national championships on the D3 level as head coach during the Nazareth glory days. He later coached at Binghamton, then Pfeiffer, and is now an assistant at D2 LeMoyne.

Quite the lacrosse family!
D3 Fan

Post by D3 Fan »

Don't forget his uncles are Tim Nelson and Tom Nelson of Syracuse fame!!! Awesome story/family all around, best wishes to Jared going forward!!! More proof that many lax players at even "minor" schools have some serious lax blood running through their veins which makes this sport incredibly unique.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Had no idea they were related to Tim and Tom. Those guys are legends. Thanks for the heads up!
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

This is almost too good to be true! Talk about Karma! Jared Nelson could set the new record against YOUR team Scott! In what I have to imagine will be his last game! Won't be easy - needs 4 points to tie and 5 to break - they may not score 5 all day but still.....

C'mon Jared... I'm pulling for you kid!

Hahaha
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

Nosey Ned wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 1:38 pm

This is almost too good to be true! Talk about Karma! Jared Nelson could set the new record against YOUR team Scott! In what I have to imagine will be his last game! Won't be easy - needs 4 points to tie and 5 to break - they may not score 5 all day but still.....

C'mon Jared... I'm pulling for you kid!

Hahaha
I look forward to seeing him play.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

I was thinking the same thing Scott and suspect you may have an excellent view. Quite a player to rack up those type #’s. I suspect he’ll get but not sure LYN defense will allow lofty #’s. I’m guessing he draws Gallegher but the key is locking down the Beneficiaries of attackmen Becraft and Allen.. 79 and 55 goals!
ShoreThingMD

Post by ShoreThingMD »

As a big J-Bird fan, I'm really excited to see Nelson go against Lynchburg. Wherever he finishes, congrats on a heck of a season and career. Now put Coffman in the hall of fame already!
SouthernLaxGenius

Have seen him play throughout his career.

Key is to make him a scorer and not slide to him when he dodges (I know easier said then done).

Has a great feel for the game and sees the field pretty damn good and takes what you give him.

Record (all 5 seasons it took ;) ) looks like it will probably fall this weekend.
SouthernLaxGenius

ShoreThingMD wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 8:49 pm Now put Coffman in the hall of fame already!
What a shame (and joke) he is still not in.

The man avg 8 points a game in a non shot clock era against the best of the best.
ShoreThingMD

Post by ShoreThingMD »

For those of you who haven't seen Jason Coffman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esSxSa1J2No Guy was ahead of his time. Best of luck to Jared, there's a lot of lacrosse going on that day, but I'll be checking in.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”