Landmark 2021

D3 Mens Lacrosse
nevadajoe

Re: Landmark 2021

Post by nevadajoe »

Coach Sage is a good coach with great credentials. Just look at the success he had at Scranton. At Drew, the program was in a downward path when he took over and I think he was expected to start the revival of the once-solid lacrosse program. Drew's roster was always short. Not enough new faces coming in each year. Same problems at Goucher. Not enough quality recruits to contribute right away with a core of veterans.
Tuition and room & board to attend is virtually the same for all Landmark schools (around $55-67K/year), with Drew and E'town on the lower side). Some schools do not have enough financial help for potential lacrosse recruits and others find help for them. Look at the great job that has been done by Catholic, E'town and Susquehanna over the past several years. Bringing in a good number of freshmen who increase the overall capability of the entire team. And also bringing in transfers who contribute immediately. And that is why these three teams have won the conference title over the past 8 seasons.
I agree that Drew needs to bring in an energetic and young guy who can recruit like mad and bring some success to the lacrosse program.
And I think Coach Sage will find a home either aa a D-III head coach if that is what he intends to do. Sometimes, there's more money and a future in other segments of the lacrosse business.
LI_Lax14

Post by LI_Lax14 »

I was in no way trying to put blame on Coach Sage, he has a heck of a resume and has had success in the conference. I agree that he walked into a tough situation and did the best he could. It sounds like Drew has its own issues to deal with. The challenge you run into in the conference is its tough to keep a coach long term as they are viewed as resume builder jobs for upcoming coaches to spring board into higher profile/higher paying jobs. I wish Coach Sage luck in his next endeavors and hope Drew can find someone to spark things up in the program.
jerseyjames

Post by jerseyjames »

Definitely not all Sage's fault at all but he certainly did not make things much better, lots of roster turnover year after year there. Will be interested to see who gets that job/applies for it. Was a HOT job 4/5 years ago, tons of applicants, after Leanos stepped down lots of BIG names got beat out at the end by Sage, a few other finalists moved on to other jobs that definitely worked out better for them. Lots of NJ coaches out there and similar to LI jobs, there's not many jobs out there but most would love an opportunity to comeback home and coach college in NJ.
nevadajoe

Post by nevadajoe »

To be perfectly honest, the Landmark is a mid-range lacrosse conference continuing to get better and more competitive each year. Landmark teams are starting to attract more recruits who may be looking at teams in the Centennial or Old Dominion. The coaching opportunities are now for the young, energetic guys who are just starting out. Look at the success Kyle McGuire had in 2021 after one year as an assistant at Elizabethtown preceded by some years as a high school coach.
At the beginning of the Landmark Conference in 2008, the majority of the coaches were experienced, well-seasoned lacrosse veterans, e.g., Tom Leanos (Drew), Kyle Hannah (Goucher), Stewart Moan (Susquehanna), Tom Gill (MMA) and Fran Meagher (Moravian).
Since then, there have been new opportunities that have opened up for Landmark coaches. Kyle Hannan had a semi-successful run at D-I Mercer. Tim Marshall (Scranton) is now HC at Shenandoah and Jim Rogalski (Scranton) is the assistant HC at Michigan. Drew Delaney and Chris Perzinski each had great success at Elizabethtown. Delaney is HC at Mary Washington while Perzinski is the DC at Jacksonville.
Most of the new coaches who have taken on Landmark jobs are young, with the Landmark job being their first opportunity to be a HC and create and execute a winning culture, e.g., McGuire, Jon Sax (winning the championship in his first year at Catholic) and Michael Hofmeister, with 27 wins and 4 out of 4 tournament appearances at Scranton.
Coach Moan continues to be successful at Susquehanna (championships in 2013 and 2014). My guess is that his successor when he decides to step down will be a first-time head coach. Moravian is in the very capable hands of Dave Carty and they have been the most improved team year after year in the conference.
Goucher has a great coach in Brian Kelly and his fortitude will be challenged next year after the college decided to opt out of the 2021 season. Their roster will need to be rebuilt and that could take several years.
Juniata begins Landmark lacrosse action next year under Nate Norbo, who has had D-! experience as an assistant at Dartmouth and also as an assistant at Elizabethtown. He has been recruiting and building the roster for the past two years and should field a competitive team in their first year.
Look for Drew to hire a young guy who might had had a few years experience as an assistant at any level or perhaps a successful high school coach in New Jersey who might be ready for the next level.
Men's lacrosse is an important sport in the Landmark. Only 4 schools have a football program, with Susquehanna the only school showing the consistent ability to put up a winning record. As the conference attracts more recruits, the competitive level should continue to rise in the next several years.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

nevadajoe wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:57 am To be perfectly honest, the Landmark is a mid-range lacrosse conference continuing to get better and more competitive each year. Landmark teams are starting to attract more recruits who may be looking at teams in the Centennial or Old Dominion. The coaching opportunities are now for the young, energetic guys who are just starting out. Look at the success Kyle McGuire had in 2021 after one year as an assistant at Elizabethtown preceded by some years as a high school coach.
At the beginning of the Landmark Conference in 2008, the majority of the coaches were experienced, well-seasoned lacrosse veterans, e.g., Tom Leanos (Drew), Kyle Hannah (Goucher), Stewart Moan (Susquehanna), Tom Gill (MMA) and Fran Meagher (Moravian).
Since then, there have been new opportunities that have opened up for Landmark coaches. Kyle Hannan had a semi-successful run at D-I Mercer. Tim Marshall (Scranton) is now HC at Shenandoah and Jim Rogalski (Scranton) is the assistant HC at Michigan. Drew Delaney and Chris Perzinski each had great success at Elizabethtown. Delaney is HC at Mary Washington while Perzinski is the DC at Jacksonville.
Most of the new coaches who have taken on Landmark jobs are young, with the Landmark job being their first opportunity to be a HC and create and execute a winning culture, e.g., McGuire, Jon Sax (winning the championship in his first year at Catholic) and Michael Hofmeister, with 27 wins and 4 out of 4 tournament appearances at Scranton.
Coach Moan continues to be successful at Susquehanna (championships in 2013 and 2014). My guess is that his successor when he decides to step down will be a first-time head coach. Moravian is in the very capable hands of Dave Carty and they have been the most improved team year after year in the conference.
Goucher has a great coach in Brian Kelly and his fortitude will be challenged next year after the college decided to opt out of the 2021 season. Their roster will need to be rebuilt and that could take several years.
Juniata begins Landmark lacrosse action next year under Nate Norbo, who has had D-! experience as an assistant at Dartmouth and also as an assistant at Elizabethtown. He has been recruiting and building the roster for the past two years and should field a competitive team in their first year.
Look for Drew to hire a young guy who might had had a few years experience as an assistant at any level or perhaps a successful high school coach in New Jersey who might be ready for the next level.
Men's lacrosse is an important sport in the Landmark. Only 4 schools have a football program, with Susquehanna the only school showing the consistent ability to put up a winning record. As the conference attracts more recruits, the competitive level should continue to rise in the next several years.
While I agree with you the Landmark is a mid range conference and getting better each year, I disagree with your point about looking to hire young, new coaches. In doing this a school may catch lightning in a bottle and have success but inevitably they will be looking to hire a new coach in a few years because with that success the coach will be looking to move on to a better position. Recruiting can be tough if recruits all think the HC will be moving on at some point in the near future ultimately hurting the program. If they aren’t successful it could take the program many years to recover from the young guys missteps. I think when hiring coaches in the conference they should look for the best candidate that fits the school and the athletic department overall regardless of age. If a middle aged to older coach is selected the likelihood that the coach will be looking to move on right away isn’t there. These coaches are looking to find a home and build a successful program in a place where they can see themselves still being there well into the future. If I was an AD I’d choose stability over a flash in the pan. Stewart Moan being a perfect example of that.
LI_Lax14

Post by LI_Lax14 »

A lot of factors come in to play within the Landmark and head coach hires. Some schools are in better financial situations than others right now so they may/may not have the ability to offer a more veteran coach a decent salary vs a young up and comer . The other factor is the cost of living around each university is drastically different, Rural Pennsylvania vs Washington DC.

Hopefully whoever Drew hires get's the team back on track and competitive within the conference.
nevadajoe

Forbes report

Post by nevadajoe »

Interesting facts in this Forbes report on the financial health of colleges (their GPA).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/schifrin/2 ... 2314e14916

Landmark schools.

1. Catholic 3.24 B+
2. Goucher 2.98 B
3. Juniata 2.44 C+
4. Elizabethtown 2.39 C+
5. Susquehanna 2.21 C+
6. Scranton 2.18 C+
7. Drew 1.04 D

What might this mean for sports budgets (and difficult future decisions) for these schools?
NJLaxer24

Post by NJLaxer24 »

The numbers used for the article are from 2018, they seem pretty useless at this point because of the Pandemic. Goucher and Drew took massive hits to their budgets because of Pandemic, while Susquehanna and Moravian had budget surpluses because they came back to Campus.
Doxology

Post by Doxology »

Over on the D1 coaching thread it seems Sage went from Drew to Manhattan.
LI_Lax14

Post by LI_Lax14 »

Sounds like Drew may have found their new coach.....can anyone confirm?
jerseyjames

Post by jerseyjames »

LI_Lax14 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:52 am Sounds like Drew may have found their new coach.....can anyone confirm?
Can confirm, going with an alum from the prep school ranks. Interesting hire but the alumni base is so strong and all connected basically thru Coach Leanos and all would die for Coach Leanos, he will have full support and hopefully can tap into his prep school connections to get Drew going back in the right direction.
nevadajoe

Post by nevadajoe »

I have heard the same rumor and agree that it is the best option for Drew.

Young, energetic, connected to Coach Leanos.
LI_Lax14

Post by LI_Lax14 »

Sounds like Coach Leanos had some insight in this hire as well as the alumni base. If that's the route the university went it should keep all parties happy.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

nevadajoe

Post by nevadajoe »

Is Coach Sax (ex-NESCAC player and assistant coach) in the final selection process for the Amherst job?
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

nevadajoe wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:39 am Is Coach Sax (ex-NESCAC player and assistant coach) in the final selection process for the Amherst job?
I believe so.
LI_Lax14

Post by LI_Lax14 »

The Landmark has become the stepping stone for young coaches to cut their teeth as HC and boost their resume for their next jump to better paying job.
nevadajoe

Post by nevadajoe »

Classes start up for the Landmark teams this week and next.
Anyone have any updates on the upcoming fall season?
Any significant 5th year returnees?
Any information on the incoming freshmen classes?
Any notable transfers?
Any news from Juniata as they begin Landmark competition?
laxdad30

Post by laxdad30 »

Goucher is scheduled for 16 games this year. Tough competition. My source says: Possibly Someone in NC, Gettysburg and not exactly sure if this year or not but like York, Stevenson and more.

They are now part of the ECAC for pre and post season play.

Practice starts September 27th.
laxbro1955

Post by laxbro1955 »

Nice to see the fall lax is beginning and all the fall sports are competing without interruption. Hopefully a great year for lax.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”