LIBERTY LEAGUE 2021

D3 Mens Lacrosse
TopShelf585

Re: LIBERTY LEAGUE 2021

Post by TopShelf585 »

CTLaxFan15 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:04 pm Tough loss for SLU last weekend, did not look ready to play against top caliber team like Union... younger team will hopefully be more ready for RIT on Saturday.

On another note still not sure how D3 community still so high on SJF, Saints could of beaten them by larger margin if not first game of year, always ranked near or above SLU in many polls on this forum, losing to RIT by 1 really shouldnt be "best" result keeping them high in rankings, still at top 15 program but seeing them ranked ahead of Union and SLU is laughable
Give Union credit they were all over SLU- they came out and pressured the Saints all over the field & they weren't ready for that. Union's goalie stole a number of goals- he was a big game changer. Not sure how much intel was out there on Union because SLU looked lost on defense for awhile- I'd like to see a repeat of that game.

RIT will be the test- not sure what team comes to play for the Tigers- hoping they bring their B-Game and the Saints take advantage.

Agree with you on SJF ranking- they're the beneficiary of catching RIT's goalie on an off day (10 GA, 1 Save) and their goalie having a great day (15 Saves) To frustrate you more, their ranking will stay the same or improve because they won't have a test again until the NCAA tournament.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

Bombers with a great win over Union yesterday.
Anyone have any color on the game?
georgeoar394

Post by georgeoar394 »

TopShelf585 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:13 am Bombers with a great win over Union yesterday.
Anyone have any color on the game?
Change in weather for the day but still very mild. Game was evenly matched, tons of sloppy turnovers. I could see why Union was ranked top 10, however, they did not look like it vs IC. IC didn't do anything such as pressuring out on defense or run and gun a lot of offense, just was a lot of poor decision making from Union, so I take it they just played a bad game. IC looked the same as they always do, their offense is alway so claustrophobic from middies dodging up top.
richard

Post by richard »

Congratulations to coach Mahoney at SLU on winning his 250th game. A great accomplishment. SLU made quick work of Ithaca. The Larries can be a much better team if they would take better care of the ball. There was some sloppy play early even though they kept possession with some missed opportunities. Things tightened up some through the rest of the game. I’m not sure what to think if they have a rematch with both Union and RIT.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Hey Richard,
Have you ever wondered how SLC would have fared had Jim Berkman remained there in 1988 as the men's lax coach? Could he have recruited the players to duplicate what he's done at Salisbury?
overandback

Post by overandback »

Berkman was head men’s basketball coach at SLU from 86-88. Was never head lax coach there.
Head coach of lacrosse at Potsdam State in ‘85.
richard

Post by richard »

MrLax2U wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:24 pm Hey Richard,
Have you ever wondered how SLC would have fared had Jim Berkman remained there in 1988 as the men's lax coach? Could he have recruited the players to duplicate what he's done at Salisbury?
Truthfully, I prefer Mahoneys overall coaching style to Berkmans. SLU is a different ballgame compared to Salisbury too.
Pegasus5

Post by Pegasus5 »

I don't have any experience with Berkman but what I know of him and Mike Mahoney is that they seem to be cut from the same fabric. Salisbury and SLU are apples and oranges demographically, regionally, and academically. It takes a certain type of athlete that wants to play a "spring" sport in Canton NY, where there is still snow at the end line during Liberty League playoffs. DIII coaches are rarely rock stars but 250 wins really says a lot about the relationship of the coach, the institution, and the players.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

Both coaches are class guys and deserve props.
georgeoar394

Post by georgeoar394 »

richard wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:55 pm Congratulations to coach Mahoney at SLU on winning his 250th game. A great accomplishment. SLU made quick work of Ithaca. The Larries can be a much better team if they would take better care of the ball. There was some sloppy play early even though they kept possession with some missed opportunities. Things tightened up some through the rest of the game. I’m not sure what to think if they have a rematch with both Union and RIT.

I can only imagine what practice will be like for IC come Monday. SLU looked much better than previous games I’ve watched and easily would have beaten the Union team that showed up to IC on Wednesday.
richard

Post by richard »

georgeoar394 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:36 pm
TopShelf585 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:02 am Bombers never looked ready to play vs Fisher and it showed.
Give credit to the Cards they looked good and nearly pulled off a huge upset over RIT earlier in the week. Not a team you’ll want to see in the tournament.

Union vs Trinity will be a good one to check out on Sunday.
SJF knows how to move the ball quick! IMO they looked sloppy as well, think they woke up in the second half though. Ithaca seems to be the same team as in years past. Defense is alright but their "empire 8 offense" doesn't work well against better teams, so cramped, forced shots, and poor decision making. They also seem to lack some depth which is evident. 3 middies were out due to injuries vs SJF
I've read this a couple of times now and I have to ask What is an "empire 8 offense"? Or is this an explanation of how Ithaca runs their offense and has not changed it since their E8 days?
SouthernLaxGenius

Post by SouthernLaxGenius »

richard wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:17 pm
I've read this a couple of times now and I have to ask What is an "empire 8 offense"? Or is this an explanation of how Ithaca runs their offense and has not changed it since their E8 days?
I believe you are correct on both accounts. Long and Ithaca have been running the "same offense" for years dating back to the E8 and were able to use it more freely and efficiently then, as opposed to now in the Liberty, where the competition top to bottom is "tougher".

I know they haven't changed conferences, but hasn't Lynchburg been running the same offense for years upon years as well? 8-)
georgeoar394

Post by georgeoar394 »

^exactly, it's not adapting to the environment and opponents you play. For the past four years ithaca has look the same imo. Awful clearing and transition play, mediocre defense most of the time the second and third slide are not super aggressive, offense is run entirely from midfield and is cramped up top with dodging down the ally. How many goals are actually scored off their offense vs. players just taking the ball because they are "goal" greedy. Games like SJF, St Lawrence, RIT, Tufts show the pitfalls of the team. All of the stuff mentioned above will work against skidmore or nazareth but when push comes to shove they'll fall if something doesn't change.
Knowitall

Post by Knowitall »

Playoff picture is hazy to say the least......Number of league games played varies from 7 to....2.....??? (After this weekend)....Thoughts???
CTLaxFan15

Post by CTLaxFan15 »

Union and SLU both with key wins yesterday. RPI gave good effort with half roster but Union was too much, McCann and McGovern brought the heat all game. Clarkson struggled in 6vs6 O, scored all goals in transition or SLU mistakes in front of net and couldn't keep up with Saints O, can now see how they lost to Potsdam. Hennessey heating up at the right time

Not sure of how tie breaker works this year, I believe if Saints beat RPI at home this weekend and RIT takes care of Union then SLU would be 2 seed?? Then Ithaca and finally Union? Doesnt seem right. Unions loss to Ithaca could be a real killer, think their the second best team in LL but loss to Bombers could screw up seeding and tiebreakers
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

CTLaxFan15 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:54 pm Not sure of how tie breaker works this year, I believe if Saints beat RPI at home this weekend and RIT takes care of Union then SLU would be 2 seed?? Then Ithaca and finally Union? Doesnt seem right. Unions loss to Ithaca could be a real killer, think their the second best team in LL but loss to Bombers could screw up seeding and tiebreakers
I remember from a few years back tie-breaker was tied to # wins vs .500 teams.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

Union pushing the Tigers today.
richard

Post by richard »

Union had them on the ropes and couldn’t finish them off. Much like HSC had Lynchburg. SLU still looks sloppy but easily handled RPI. They really need to work on that passing and catching stuff.
SouthernLaxGenius

Post by SouthernLaxGenius »

richard wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:32 pm Union had them on the ropes and couldn’t finish them off.
Great game to watch as Union is one of the few (Non-NESCAC) teams that won't be "intimidated" by RIT and believe they belong :!:
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

LL Tourney seeds are set. Union will have another shot at RIT unfortunately it’ll be in the Semis. The loss to Ithaca puts them in that spot.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”