NCAC 2021

D3 Mens Lacrosse
MrLax2U

Re: NCAC 2021

Post by MrLax2U »

Agree with Ned. Caravana is one of the best coaches in any division of men's college lacrosse. He's not out to hurt or embarrass any other team. Scoring in these situations is a balancing act and I would trust Coach Mike's judgement.
Downhill Dodger

Post by Downhill Dodger »

Denison dis nothing wrong here....welcome to the shot clock era. Denison played everyone, didn’t score in the 4q, I will bet there was some sort of running clock...they put up 24 in the first half, which is basically scoring at will. Very similar to what JCU did in their game yesterday...Tough situation for the Wabash kids, but you get to play against a top 10 team to see where you are at. Hopefully the bottom of these conferences get more competitive, it’s a now win proposition for either team when these games are played
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

NoseyNed is pretty dead on. Yesterday’s Denison - Wabash game showed more effort to let off the gas than the first game. I don’t think Denison took a shot in the 4th.

Denison is fundamentally so good, and yesterday they were like a clinic film, except you didn’t have to stop and rewind the tape — just wait til the next possession and they’ll do it again.

Wabash is obviously in a tough spot right now, but they’ve got the opportunity to sort it out. They should have the entire spectrum of coaching candidates available, and there’s no excuse not to go get the right person. Every Wabash sport competes at the top of the conference, except lacrosse, and this will be a critical hire.
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
OldWU

Post by OldWU »

Denison finally returns to action tomorrow @Wittenberg, after a two week lay-off due to COVID postponements. They have only played six games (5-1 record) so far and have just two left--- both against Witt. To get to the divisional playoff game against Kenyon, they have to beat Wittenberg by 10+ and 7+ goals in the their two games, or they face a potential coin-toss tie-breaker with OWU to decide the west division championship. OWU and Denison split their two games by a one goal margin in each contest.

Denison and OWU are ranked #17 and #18 in the current USILA Coaches Poll, and are clearly the best teams in the NCAC, but one of them will be left out of an opportunity to compete for the conference championship (and automatic NCAA berth), based on the stupid rules the NCAC has created for this season. The divisional play has been a disaster, and several teams have cancelled multiple games including Kenyon, DePauw and Hiram. Kenyon has won the East Division, despite playing only four games.

While the players are certainly grateful to have a season in these COVID times, it's too bad the two best teams can't settle matters on the field.
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

Other NCAC news, Depauw has cancelled the last 4 games of their season, starting last week with the 2 Denison cancellations.
OldWU

Post by OldWU »

....and their last two games with OWU. The Bishops season is finished, unless they can schedule another game for their seniors, which they are trying to do.
grelch

Post by grelch »

OldWU wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:32 pm Denison finally returns to action tomorrow @Wittenberg, after a two week lay-off due to COVID postponements. They have only played six games (5-1 record) so far and have just two left--- both against Witt. To get to the divisional playoff game against Kenyon, they have to beat Wittenberg by 10+ and 7+ goals in the their two games, or they face a potential coin-toss tie-breaker with OWU to decide the west division championship. OWU and Denison split their two games by a one goal margin in each contest.

Denison and OWU are ranked #17 and #18 in the current USILA Coaches Poll, and are clearly the best teams in the NCAC, but one of them will be left out of an opportunity to compete for the conference championship (and automatic NCAA berth), based on the stupid rules the NCAC has created for this season. The divisional play has been a disaster, and several teams have cancelled multiple games including Kenyon, DePauw and Hiram. Kenyon has won the East Division, despite playing only four games.

While the players are certainly grateful to have a season in these COVID times, it's too bad the two best teams can't settle matters on the field.
They're up by 16 with 9 minutes left in the 4th.

22-4 final.
SouthernLaxGenius

Post by SouthernLaxGenius »

Denison v Witt...rinse and repeat in 4 days
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

OldWU wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:32 pm Denison finally returns to action ......... To get to the divisional playoff game against Kenyon, they have to beat Wittenberg by 10+ and 7+ goals in the their two games.....
Denison and OWU are ranked #17 and #18 in the current USILA Coaches Poll, and are clearly the best teams in the NCAC, but one of them will be left out of an opportunity to compete for the conference championship (and automatic NCAA berth)...... it's too bad the two best teams can't settle matters on the field.
Hey Old .... completely agree. Too bad the 2021 conference setup insures we won’t get another “instant classic” between these two teams.

So is it confirmed, a Denison win tomorrow by 7+ locks up the West division and put them in the NCAC Championship game? I personally haven’t seen or heard that “officially” confirmed anywhere. And of course a victory of 5 or less (or loss of course) sees the Bishops become the west representative?And a Big Red victory of exactly 6 goals means it goes to a coin flip? That would be horrible.... if it comes to that, Caravana and Plantholt should agree to flip the lights on in the dead of night with no one watching at a neutral site (local HS) and decide it on the field! Now that would make for some awesome rivalry lore! And befitting this great, historic rivalry.
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Fingers crossed, Ned. May we see you in the semis.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

MrLax2U wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:49 pm Fingers crossed, Ned. May we see you in the semis.
Haha ... greetings Mr Lax. I hope all is well with you. You know I love traveling to the Eastern Shore in May.... always great to measure yourself against the best. And if the Big Red are good enough to make it there this year, it will be a young, inexperienced squad Coach Caravana will leading off the bus. No matter the outcome, it will pay dividends down the road for this group.

Stay well and all the best to your team and fingers crossed, I’ll be making that long drive in the not too distant future!
SouthernLaxGenius

I thought Oberlin men's lacrosse was not going to have a season?

Kudos to Coach Polak for getting the boys some run and playing/squeezing out a couple of games to end the season 8-)
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Congratulations to Denison Big Red for earning the right to play Kenyon in the NCAC Championship game. Denison will be trying to win it’s 5th straight NCAC Tournament Championship.

I doubt you’d find anyone that doesn’t believe the 2 best teams in the conference are DU and OWU and we’d all love to have been treated to a 3rd matchup this year. However, with that being said, all the teams signed up for this year’s competition structure, and all knew what the tie breakers would be. I say DU “earned” their place in the Championship game because they took care of business on the field where OWU did not. The Bishops only beat Wittenberg by 6 goals in their second tilt, thus opening the door for the Big Red and like the 4x reigning Tournament Champs they are - Denison, ran through that door by beating Wittenberg by 20 today.

Unlike other years, DU will be facing a Kenyon team they haven’t faced yet this year. An undefeated Kenyon whom I’m sure want to have something to say about all this talk about the 2 best in the conference not being there. So the Big Red can’t listen to the “talking heads” and better come out flying and be ready for a 60 minute battle!

GO BIG RED
grelch

Post by grelch »

Is there a NCAA tournament this year, or are they holding off for a year?
SouthernLaxGenius

grelch wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:50 pm Is there a NCAA tournament this year, or are they holding off for a year?
Have you heard something otherwise?
grelch

Post by grelch »

No, not at all. Just haven't been paying as much attention this year. The reason I asked was because if it's on, does OWU have any chance of getting an at large bid? Or do they have them this year? I have no clue. It's been such a strange season.
SouthernLaxGenius

grelch wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:35 pm No, not at all. Just haven't been paying as much attention this year. The reason I asked was because if it's on, does OWU have any chance of getting an at large bid? Or do they have them this year? I have no clue. It's been such a strange season.
Oh ok, I see.

I think there are 31 spots and something like 27 AQs.

If that is the case then OWU may be on the outside looking in
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

grelch wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:35 pm No, not at all. Just haven't been paying as much attention this year. The reason I asked was because if it's on, does OWU have any chance of getting an at large bid? Or do they have them this year? I have no clue. It's been such a strange season.
I think the NCAC has zero chance of being a 2 bid conference this year. The only bid will be the AQ that goes to the Tournament Championship winner. The very limit, very weak OOC schedule forced on both OWU and Denison made that a forgone conclusion even before the first game was played. Just my opinion of course. To be clear - if roles were reversed, I’d say Denison had zero shot at an at large as well - as will be the case if they don’t beat Kenyon.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Nosey Ned wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:21 pm ...
I think the NCAC has zero chance of being a 2 bid conference this year. The only bid will be the AQ that goes to the Tournament Championship winner. The very limit, very weak OOC schedule forced on both OWU and Denison made that a forgone conclusion even before the first game was played. Just my opinion of course. To be clear - if roles were reversed, I’d say Denison had zero shot at an at large as well - as will be the case if they don’t beat Kenyon.
Yes, unfortunately, I have to agree. Given the OOC wins by several ODAC teams, the ODAC is likely to grab one of those precious at-large bids, and the NESCAC typically gets at least two or three teams into the dance. When OWU got an at-large bid in 2018, it had defeated both Salisbury (always a massive accomplishment to beat the Gulls) and Denison. Over the course of two games, Denison and OWU looked about as evenly matched as two teams can be, although that was late March / early April... and it's a shame that these two historic rivals can't settle this on the field with a third game.

Well maybe not zero chance, but maybe less chance than Kenyon has of beating Denison. ;)
grelch

Post by grelch »

Full disclosure, I am a Denison fan, and no disrespect to Kenyon at all because they beat everyone they faced. Just lamenting that Denison and OWU didn't get the rubber match.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”