SUNYAC 20

D3 Mens Lacrosse
ToastDunk

Re: SUNYAC 20

Post by ToastDunk »

Potsdam with the win in 2OT. Sloppy at times, but an exciting game nonetheless.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

Potsdam rolling after the Clarkson and Oneonta victories. Cortland and Geneseo remain in a dead heat for best team heading into the conference tournament.
UpstateBenchRider

Post by UpstateBenchRider »

Olaxfan wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:49 am
Whatyagonnado wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:36 am Brockport's showing against Geneseo and Cortland was brutal. The team was completely ill-prepared. The coaching as well as the play on the field hurt my brain as I watched. How does a coach see his team commit 18 or so first-half turnovers and not call a time out. Meanwhile, Cortland called two. It is a sad state of affairs in Brockport.

With the exception of Cortland, Geneseo and Oswego I am underwhelmed by the coaching in Sunyac Lax.
Considering Oswego has yet to even be competitive in a single game this year it seems odd you would lump them in with Geneseo and Cortland. The lakers look like a dumpster fire.
SouthernLaxGenius

Post by SouthernLaxGenius »

The way Oswego looked against Brockport both times this year, wasn't pretty.

But let's not forget last year they started off 3-1 before Covid shut everything down.

In 2019 they were 8-6 with a 3 goal loss to Cortland in the SUNYAC playoffs (tie score at halftime and a 2 goal game with over 3 minute to go).
HappyGilmore

Post by HappyGilmore »

SouthernLaxGenius wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:39 pm The way Oswego looked against Brockport both times this year, wasn't pretty.

But let's not forget last year they started off 3-1 before Covid shut everything down.

In 2019 they were 8-6 with a 3 goal loss to Cortland in the SUNYAC playoffs (tie score at halftime and a 2 goal game with over 3 minute to go).
So what happened from 2019 to now?
SouthernLaxGenius

HappyGilmore wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:19 am So what happened from 2019 to now?

Lol, I just explained what happened in 2019 and 2020. :lol:

I guess a team cant have an off year, you know with Covid and all still, running rampant. :roll:

That or they miss Bacon (2020), Emerson (2019), Hollfelder (2020) and Schof (2020) ;)

Face-offs have been a mess and Doolan "cant do it all" :!:
HappyGilmore

Post by HappyGilmore »

SouthernLaxGenius wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:43 am
HappyGilmore wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:19 am So what happened from 2019 to now?

Lol, I just explained what happened in 2019 and 2020. :lol:

I guess a team cant have an off year, you know with Covid and all still, running rampant. :roll:

That or they miss Bacon (2020), Emerson (2019), Hollfelder (2020) and Schof (2020) ;)

Face-offs have been a mess and Doolan "cant do it all" :!:
The initial comment was about coaching, so I thought there might have been an issue with the coach and his staff. Thanks for providing the additional information.. Hope you have a great rest of your day.
SouthernLaxGenius

HappyGilmore wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:43 am The initial comment was about coaching, so I thought there might have been an issue with the coach and his staff. Thanks for providing the additional information.. Hope you have a great rest of your day.
The initial comment about coaching could be debated and those individuals who agree are certainly entitled to their opinion.

The previous 3 years, 2018 (pretty solid wins), 2019 (a few close and tough losses) and 2020, the Lakers were 21-12.

Coach Bezek has (seemingly) turned Osewgo into a team constantly pushing and getting into the SUNYAC playoffs and scheduling good teams out of conference.

1 (down) year shouldnt take away from the things he has accomplished (IMO).

He may not be Beville and granted Fiorentino and company drubbed Oswego this year (previous 3 meetings Geneseo is 2-1 with a goal differential of 0), but I dont think the gap is that big between the 2 and certainly (currently) not the rest of the league
HappyGilmore

Post by HappyGilmore »

SouthernLaxGenius wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:08 am
HappyGilmore wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:43 am The initial comment was about coaching, so I thought there might have been an issue with the coach and his staff. Thanks for providing the additional information.. Hope you have a great rest of your day.
The initial comment about coaching could be debated and those individuals who agree are certainly entitled to their opinion.

The previous 3 years, 2018 (pretty solid wins), 2019 (a few close and tough losses) and 2020, the Lakers were 21-12.

Coach Bezek has (seemingly) turned Osewgo into a team constantly pushing and getting into the SUNYAC playoffs and scheduling good teams out of conference.

1 (down) year shouldnt take away from the things he has accomplished (IMO).

He may not be Beville and granted Fiorentino and company drubbed Oswego this year (previous 3 meetings Geneseo is 2-1 with a goal differential of 0), but I dont think the gap is that big between the 2 and certainly (currently) not the rest of the league
You are right he has done a good job. The showing this year is surprising and hopefully a one off. They do need to get a FOGO and someone to replace the goalie as I believe he is a senior.
Olaxfan

Post by Olaxfan »

UpstateBenchRider wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:10 am
Olaxfan wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:49 am
Whatyagonnado wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:36 am Brockport's showing against Geneseo and Cortland was brutal. The team was completely ill-prepared. The coaching as well as the play on the field hurt my brain as I watched. How does a coach see his team commit 18 or so first-half turnovers and not call a time out. Meanwhile, Cortland called two. It is a sad state of affairs in Brockport.

With the exception of Cortland, Geneseo and Oswego I am underwhelmed by the coaching in Sunyac Lax.
Considering Oswego has yet to even be competitive in a single game this year it seems odd you would lump them in with Geneseo and Cortland. The lakers look like a dumpster fire.
I wasn't lumping the teams together but those three teams seem to be far better coached than the rest of sunyac. Oswego looks to be having a down year due to covid and players not the coaching. Oneonta and potsdam with far better records than oswego are winning despite what appears to be lackluster coaching.
Oneonta's new assistant defensive coach has helped this season but the offense is still atrocious and cant hang on to the ball to preserve a lead and the idea of calling a time out to preserve a possession appears to require more coaching ability than Oneonta's head coach will ever have.
SouthernLaxGenius

What 3 teams are being too here :?:

Far better records? Oh wait we (YOU) are talking about this year :roll:

Cortland --> Geneseo --> Oswego/Plattsburgh --> everyone else

Side note...Oneonta hasn't been relevant in LAX, and in the SUNYAC in appx 20 years.
SunyLaxFan

Post by SunyLaxFan »

As a SUNY Alumni and Lacrosse fan, I thought it would be interesting to join the forum this year with how different the SUNYAC was.

Todays semifinal resulting with a Cortland victory 19-4 over Potsdam and a Geneseo victory over the 1st seed Oneonta 14-2 just goes to show how much more powerful the West Side was over the East.

Credit to Brockport with a 3 point loss to Geneseo, sad to see them not qualify because of the divisions. To me, it’s clear that Cortland, Geneseo and Brockport were the 3 top teams in this years SUNYAC. All 3 teams would have had a good chance going 4-0 in the Eastern division. Just going off game scores, looks like Oswego could have compete in the East bracket.

Plattsburgh and New Paltz both had down years, and are lucky to have been on the opposite side of the bracket than Cortland and Geneseo.

Lastly, it’s going to be a fun SUNYAC championship with both of these teams playing close all year. Excited to watch.
SunyLaxFan

Post by SunyLaxFan »

Also, after watching most of the SUNYAC games this year, here are a few players I believe will earn All-Conference recognition in some way or another based off conference play:

Attack:
Dante Yacavone, Attack, Cortland
Pat Doyen, Attack, Cortland
Colton Smith, Attack, Cortland
Tim Fallo, Attack, Geneseo
Kevin Cook, Attack, Geneseo
James Pratt, Attack, Geneseo
Dean Cannon, Attack, Oneonta
Cam Tallcott, Attack, Potsdam
Dilon Smith, Attack, Plattsburgh

Midfield:
Troy Morris, Midfield, Cortland
Zac Jones, Midfield, Cortland
Brandon Stiles, Midfield, Cortland
Connor Griffin, Midfield, Geneseo
William McCumiskey, Midfield, Geneseo
Ryan MacDevitt, Midfield, Geneseo
Josh Huiatt, Midfield, Potsdam
Stephen Kane, Midfield, Plattsburgh
Jacob Rivers, LSM, Cortland
Aiden Fitzgerald, LSM, Brockport
Christian Moreno, LSM, Oneonta
Max Riley, SSDM, Brockport
Cameron Chiodo, SSDM, Geneseo
Timothy Shanley, FOGO, Oneonta
Brian Williams, FOGO, Cortland
Ethan Stiles, FOGO, Brockport

Defense:
Dominick Natalie, Defense, Cortland
Brandon Croteau, Defense, Cortland
Zachary Barber, Defense, Geneseo
Tyler Bushnell, Defense, Geneseo
Michael Colleti, Defense, Brockport
Ryan Stieve, Defense, Oneonta
Ethan Clark, Defense, Potsdam

Goalie:
Marc Esposito, Goalie, Cortland
Mark Pav, Goalie, Geneseo
Liam O’Neil, Goalie, Potsdam

These are obviously not all the players who will receive recognition but in my opinion they are the some of the standouts. Feel free to add your input, some may not get any recognition at all but as a spectator these athletes stood out to me.
Last edited by SunyLaxFan on Wed May 05, 2021 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vermont25

Post by Vermont25 »

A few comments with the posts associated above.

A) I think Cortland is still in a class by itself. They will beat Genny by 8 goals and take another championship.
B) I tell anybody and everybody if I had a kid looking at SUNYAC schools and want to play lacrosse go to Geneseo. The guy can coach, he makes average players look good and I think he will have another job within two years. They just don't have the horses Cortland gets they will if he stays.
C) You can lump the others the following for the next couple of years.
Potsdam....coach knows to make the most of what he has. They will miss #11 next year but he is a good coach.
Brockport/Oswego......interchangeable depends on the western state talent they get each year. Coaches are average.
Oneonta …….they get Talent because of the nice school and its location. But the coach is the worst. they have not had a coach since Nagle But this guy is absolutely horrible. His kids are more concerned about running on and off the field instead of clearing the ball. he shouldn't be coaching middle school.
D) Bottom Dwellers.
Platty….. boy do this miss Coach May... they will fall quickly.
New Paltz....growing pains.

As for the all conference team.... you need to find at least one New Paltz kid and the Goalie from Oneonta has to be on one of the three teams. He was the reason they beat POTSDAM AND BOTH PLATSBURGH Games.
SunyLaxFan

Post by SunyLaxFan »

Vermont25 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:47 am A few comments with the posts associated above.

A) I think Cortland is still in a class by itself. They will beat Genny by 8 goals and take another championship.
B) I tell anybody and everybody if I had a kid looking at SUNYAC schools and want to play lacrosse go to Geneseo. The guy can coach, he makes average players look good and I think he will have another job within two years. They just don't have the horses Cortland gets they will if he stays.
C) You can lump the others the following for the next couple of years.
Potsdam....coach knows to make the most of what he has. They will miss #11 next year but he is a good coach.
Brockport/Oswego......interchangeable depends on the western state talent they get each year. Coaches are average.
Oneonta …….they get Talent because of the nice school and its location. But the coach is the worst. they have not had a coach since Nagle But this guy is absolutely horrible. His kids are more concerned about running on and off the field instead of clearing the ball. he shouldn't be coaching middle school.
D) Bottom Dwellers.
Platty….. boy do this miss Coach May... they will fall quickly.
New Paltz....growing pains.

As for the all conference team.... you need to find at least one New Paltz kid and the Goalie from Oneonta has to be on one of the three teams. He was the reason they beat POTSDAM AND BOTH PLATSBURGH Games.
I agree with you, saying Cortland is still by themselves at the top. I do believe Geneseo is an up and coming program with the stellar coaching.

The Brockport/Oswego coaching does seem to be average but Brockport seemed to have the talent advantage this year. Oswego could not perform in either game against them.

And after looking at some statistics and game performances, I completely agree with you about Oneonta’s Goalie Berson. He definitely deserves a spot, probably over Potsdam’s goalie.

Lastly, I just don’t see how you can reward any New Paltz players All-Conference after losing every game, averaging 5 goals a game and letting up 14 per game.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

I don't see Cortland as the clear favorite over Geneseo this season. The two teams traded one goal wins in 2021, and Geneseo held a four goal advantage going into the fourth quarter before Cortland rallied. Cortland gets plenty of horses, but they don't get the kids they recruited between 2003 and 2010. Not even close to that level. The SUNYAC championship game will be close. Hoping for a comfortable Cortland win. Not expecting it.

I agree Geneseo's success is tied to Nick Fiorentino. This guy can flat out coach and recruit. I expect larger schools with deeper pockets will call soon. If Geneseo can keep him, they're in great shape to remain a SUNAYAC power. If not, they better hit it out of the park with the next coach.
Vermont25

Post by Vermont25 »

What I expect tomorrow.
Williams to dominate on the faceoff.
The Cortland Defense to come out and Press out on the Geneseo offense to making mistakes.
The Cortland offense to continue to get better with shooting, each week the shooting has grown by leaps and bounds.

Geneseo wins if Esposito has a bad game?
Geneseo handles the pressure defense and moves the ball forward and attacks the cage. Pratt is a nice player who probably handle things the others will be tested.
Geneseo avoids any four goal runs by the Red Dragons.

All told lacrosse is still won at the midfield line. (Cortland 15 Geneseo 7)
SouthernLaxGenius

dp68 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:58 pm I agree Geneseo's success is tied to Nick Fiorentino. This guy can flat out coach and recruit. I expect larger schools with deeper pockets will call soon. If Geneseo can keep him, they're in great shape to remain a SUNAYAC power. If not, they better hit it out of the park with the next coach.
+1

To pull Geneseo up from where they were at the end of the Lyons era, is a great accomplishment

Cortland has dominated everyone they have played (SUNY) wise by at least 8 goals, except Geneseo.

Williams totally dominated at the face-off X against the Knights (40-49), but both games were still 1 goal games.
dp68

Post by dp68 »

An 11-8 victory sends Cortland to the NCAA tournament to represent the SUNYAC. Cortland broke in front 7-2 early, but Geneseo fought back and turned this into the tight game I expected. Late in the fourth quarter, with Cortland leading 10-8, Geneseo had an open look in front of the goal. Big save by Esposito led to a fast break goal down the field to seal the game.

Best of luck to Cortland in the tournament!
SouthernLaxGenius

Too big of a hole for the Knights to dig out of (5 goals I know, but the way they run their offense and not winning face-offs it did look bleak for a while).

Williams is a damn machine at the face-off X

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”