NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
44WeWantMore

Re: NESCAC 2020

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Laxxal22 wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:49 pm
Yubby10 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:04 pm Looking for some honest feedback from those in the know about the NESCAC. Our son did well at a couple of showcases this summer and now two NESCAC schools have been in contact with him. They reached out to him first as neither were on his radar beforehand. He has medium to strong interest in both at this point. We are not from New England and know very little about the schools. Great academic reputations for both, however, the concerns are not academic but social. He is a very conservative Christian and quite frankly we are concerned how he will fit in socially as it seems both schools tend to be very liberal. We get it that part of learning is about hearing others views that you may disagree with at times and he is open to that and he is also very grounded and can defend his own beliefs very well. So the question for those in the know is what is the reality of NESCAC campuses? Will his beliefs potentially cause him to be a social outcast? Not trying to make this political just trying to understand the reality of what he may be stepping into.
I think he'll do fine with the team but it might be borderline impossible for him to find a girlfriend.
Assuming you have inside knowledge, this aligns with what I heard second-hand in the context of my son's college search regarding social life at Amherst. Basically the story I heard from a recent alumnus, the son of an acquaintance, was that the athletic teams members stick to themselves year-round, all the time, not just in the way athletes do everywhere, but in particular at Amherst, because only within the team can the members avoid the Thought Police.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Amherst 's rep for being awkward/not fun socially goes back a long time. Sounds like it's at its all time worst at the moment. The four years of pain for 40 years of prosperity line that was mentioned earlier in this thread definitely applies.

I was more talking about the types of conservatism that can and can't get by on NESCAC campuses. 

If you quietly believe in laissez faire governance and abolishing the estate tax then even the woke trustafarian portion of the student body won't give you a hard time - you're basically just a young version of a lot of their dads. 

If your very conservative Christian values make you vocally believe in a hands on approach to women's bodies by the government then it's going to be a pretty celibate four years - which maybe is okay if you're a true believer. I think this probably applies to a lot of colleges beyond the NESCAC though.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Thank you, and I agree. 40 years of prosperity more than compensates for never learning what steel-manning is.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVQB1dtgzrn ... =copy_link

Bad news for their program. Say goodbye to some of their best recruits. Gone are the Minicus’s of the recruiting pool.
smoova

Post by smoova »

InsiderRoll wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:43 pm https://www.instagram.com/p/CVQB1dtgzrn ... =copy_link

Bad news for their program. Say goodbye to some of their best recruits. Gone are the Minicus’s of the recruiting pool.
I don't agree - the "best recruits" have plenty of admissions advantage regardless of legacy status. Mediocre lacrosse players who happen to be children of Amherst grads, on the other hand ...
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

smoova wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:54 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:43 pm https://www.instagram.com/p/CVQB1dtgzrn ... =copy_link

I don't agree - the "best recruits" have plenty of admissions advantage regardless of legacy status. Mediocre lacrosse players who happen to be children of Amherst grads, on the other hand ...
When it was an institutional priority, legacies didn’t count against Amherst bands. So it effectively gave them extra c and b bands. That’s no longer the case. JT typically had 2/3 legacies a class, several of them were all Americans
smoova

Post by smoova »

InsiderRoll wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:21 pm

When it was an institutional priority, legacies didn’t count against Amherst bands. So it effectively gave them extra c and b bands. That’s no longer the case. JT typically had 2/3 legacies a class, several of them were all Americans
Welp, I learned something tonight - thank you! I still think that kids like Colin Minicus will always get the necessary support for admission, but this new policy does reinforce the appearance that Amherst is de-emphasizing athletics.

Is the "legacies don't count against athletic juice" policy common to the other highly-selective NESCACs?
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

smoova wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:07 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:21 pm

Welp, I learned something tonight - thank you! I still think that kids like Colin Minicus will always get the necessary support for admission, but this new policy does reinforce the appearance that Amherst is de-emphasizing athletics.

Is the "legacies don't count against athletic juice" policy common to the other highly-selective NESCACs?
I don’t know if it’s always legacies. But all Nescac schools have “institutional priorities”, could be legacies, could be full pay families, is almost always students of color. NESCAC schools do not have to count those students against their bands. Some administrations still will, others won’t.

I do find it interesting now that Amherst admits over 50% students of color they do away with legacies. Maybe they’ll bring it back in 50 years when they realize most of their alums are minorities.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Looking at some recent AC rosters. There’s a lot of legacies.

Tate, Hutchinson, Shilling, Armour, Minicus, Ford, D.Park, A.Park.

The notable 2 are Minicus and D. Park. And you can see what getting legacies like that does for your class. Under the new rules Amherst probably can’t get Minicus and McAfee in the same class. They probably couldn’t have gotten Moroney and Park in the same
Class. Ford and Norton/Wolf were all in the same class. Shilling and Sullivan, you get the point. It allowed them to build much deeper classes then some other NESCACs
smoova

Post by smoova »

I suppose it's not surprising that this policy was announced following the Woods hiring ...
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

smoova wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:16 am I suppose it's not surprising that this policy was announced following the Woods hiring ...
It’s unfortunate, but I’m sure that he couldve found out. It’ll effect all of Amherst Athletics, however lacrosse is an affluent sport and Amherst is a very affluent place. It stands to reason that there are a high number of high level lacrosse legacies for Amherst.
nescac commit

Post by nescac commit »

Amherst ran 18 miles though the mountains in a torrential rainstorm today. What’d your team do?
smoova

Post by smoova »

nescac commit wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:53 pm Amherst ran 18 miles though the mountains in a torrential rainstorm today. What’d your team do?
Wasn't that part of a fund raiser for research on Lou Gehrig's disease?
Switzerland

Post by Switzerland »

nescac commit wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:53 pm Amherst ran 18 miles though the mountains in a torrential rainstorm today. What’d your team do?
That air in the mountains rare enough for you, James William Bottomtooth III?
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Laxxal22 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:36 am Amherst 's rep for being awkward/not fun socially goes back a long time. Sounds like it's at its all time worst at the moment. The four years of pain for 40 years of prosperity line that was mentioned earlier in this thread definitely applies.

I was more talking about the types of conservatism that can and can't get by on NESCAC campuses. 

If you quietly believe in laissez faire governance and abolishing the estate tax then even the woke trustafarian portion of the student body won't give you a hard time - you're basically just a young version of a lot of their dads. 

If your very conservative Christian values make you vocally believe in a hands on approach to women's bodies by the government then it's going to be a pretty celibate four years - which maybe is okay if you're a true believer. I think this probably applies to a lot of colleges beyond the NESCAC though.
Certainly it would apply to most of the more selective colleges. Not just in the Northeast, but pretty much anywhere in the US.
Not that it's impossible to find some women who might agree, but you're gonna need to find that very small group at your local 'Aquinas House', assuming there is such. And the rest of the women would look at you like your head is way up a dark region.

Same for any strong, need to announce it, feelings about gay marriage, if that's what is meant by "conservative" and "Catholic". Yes, outcast from main student body. Again, at most highly selective colleges this would be the case around the country.

It's simply a reality that young folks who get exposed to these issues up close and personal quickly develop a very different perspective than those who for one reason or another have not come up close and personal in a more cloistered, typically small town, southern or rural environment.

So, if a kid has been so 'protected' from people with divergent views previously, expect him to come home quite different having had those discussions and experiences that have challenged his presuppositions.

IMO.

BTW, on athletes sticking together, I think you'll find that dynamic to be much more about social risk taking proclivities among athletes relative to many other students, rather than 'conservative' vs 'liberal' values. Athletes in general have high social needs and of course are attracted to others who enjoy socializing, partying, etc rather than those who are much less inclined. Happens at lots of intensely academic schools where that differentiation may be high. Certainly was my son's experience at an Ivy and I'd say the same of my own and my wife's...now, that doesn't mean it's 100% as lots of other students also enjoy socializing that way, but the reality is that it's disproportionately centered around athletes, whether they're playing an interscholastic sport or on a club team or simply played in HS. My wife, for instance, had been a two sport athlete, basketball and track, in HS, but also in band, jazz band, marching band, valedictorian, and Junior Miss of Massachusetts...not a college athlete, though she did play a bit of rugby.

I'd bet that's the case at most all NESCACs including Amherst.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

"totally" !
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

That’ll help ya beat tufts!
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

I hope it was some sort of relay and not every guy on the team running 18 miles.

If it's the latter, I get the team building element of something like this in the fall but it frankly feels like 8-10 miles too far. It's a lot of stress on the body to run 18 miles even with a 2-month dedicated distance running program, and that would build a high level of the type of fitness (long & slow) that is kind of useless for a sport like lacrosse.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”