NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
KingPrat

Re: NESCAC 2020

Post by KingPrat »

Sidelinehorn! wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:16 pm Bates assistant job posted...$13.75 per hour with a chance for overtime during the season. I know these supplement their income doing camps and clinics...but come on...it's criminal how these assistants have to grind to make a living. These guys are smart to get out and put their degrees to use...sad reality.
This position used to include housing IIRC. Not sure if it still does, but if so, that is a big chunk of $ that must be considered in the total compensation.

And if you want to bemoan the pay structure for full time assistants, call your congressman and argue for an adjustment to FLSA. Current federal floor for full-time, exempt staff is $25k. You can thank a judge in Texas for the 11th hour ruling that prevented a bump to $40k.
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

I remember talking to a few Trinity assistants who took advantage of the housing "perk". As they put it..."This would never work for someone who isn't a single dude and doesn't like the dining commons or roughing it." One of them left for a public high school teaching job that he said would allow him to get married and have a family...Flawed industry...you will see way more college coaches go the prep school route once they realize this can't work...I applaud guys like Max Silberlicht at BU who said enough is enough...sad to see a really good young coach leave.
Doxology

Post by Doxology »

KingPrat wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:19 am
And if you want to bemoan the pay structure for full time assistants, call your congressman and argue for an adjustment to FLSA. Current federal floor for full-time, exempt staff is $25k. You can thank a judge in Texas for the 11th hour ruling that prevented a bump to $40k.
Seems a workaround (and slight bump up) took affect Jan. 1, 2020.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

7/1 is just a few days away. Should start seeing some commitments from rising seniors by the end of the holiday weekend. Always a good number of "Thought he'd go D1" guys in that first batch.
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

SouthernLaxGenius

Post by SouthernLaxGenius »

Didn't see this one coming, but job well done by the admin in Brunswick.
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

Fantastic Hire for Bowdoin...He's a very good young coach!
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

Laxxal22 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:11 pm 7/1 is just a few days away. Should start seeing some commitments from rising seniors by the end of the holiday weekend. Always a good number of "Thought he'd go D1" guys in that first batch.
I think most of the first couple of players who commit to a NESCAC school likely were initially shooting for an Ivy. Not to knock schools like a Mercer or Robert Morris (who seems pretty dang good), but if you are looking for a high academic school the interest from the lower academic DI schools is not as appealing as say, Tufts.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
Bananas4Laxx

Post by Bananas4Laxx »

Sidelinehorn! wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:16 pm Bates assistant job posted...$13.75 per hour with a chance for overtime during the season. I know these supplement their income doing camps and clinics...but come on...it's criminal how these assistants have to grind to make a living. These guys are smart to get out and put their degrees to use...sad reality.
Think you’d be surprised at what half of assistants in D3 make. More than 50% are probably on a “part time” title but working full time which can be 60 hours a week. Those part time guys are probably getting just around 12k a year. Just sad.
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

I'd say most d3 assistants make less than part time, but work more than full time.

A few Nescac schools have at least one "fulltime" assistant making in the 40-50k range, but thats just one assistant and usually the program is fundraising that salary. Others follow the old school model where a coach is a full time employees but coaches multiple sports. I know of at least 2 schools that offer grad courses to supplement at their school or somewhere local.

Still making peanuts, but the you gotta spend (or not make) money to make money later.......
KingPrat

Post by KingPrat »

sguy9 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:22 pm Others follow the old school model where a coach is a full time employees but coaches multiple sports.
(Edited because I'm an idiot..... Need more coffee.

Nothing to see here...
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

sguy9 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:22 pm
Still making peanuts, but the you gotta spend (or not make) money to make money later.......
I think the problem is a lot of them don't make that money later...and if it's 50k-60k a year as the top assistant or HC at a non NESCAC school...makes sense why they are leaving to use their degree to get a 60k entry level job. Loss of serious earning potential if they wait too long grinding it out...Bad system.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

BallHunt wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:38 am
Laxxal22 wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:11 pm 7/1 is just a few days away. Should start seeing some commitments from rising seniors by the end of the holiday weekend. Always a good number of "Thought he'd go D1" guys in that first batch.
I think most of the first couple of players who commit to a NESCAC school likely were initially shooting for an Ivy. Not to knock schools like a Mercer or Robert Morris (who seems pretty dang good), but if you are looking for a high academic school the interest from the lower academic DI schools is not as appealing as say, Tufts.
For sure. Also typically some guys who want to play two sports in college, which is overwhelming for all but the select few even at the Ivy or Patriot League level.
MarloStanfield09

Post by MarloStanfield09 »

Any truth to the rumor that Amherst is doing studies on operations without intercollegiate athletics???
"You want it to be one way........ but it's the other way........."
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

Laxxal22 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:20 am
For sure. Also typically some guys who want to play two sports in college, which is overwhelming for all but the select few even at the Ivy or Patriot League level.
July 1 offers from schools with coaches in flux I suppose won't happen, so maybe 2-sport athletes rely mostly on the non-lacrosse sport. If the non-lacrosse sport is not the player's emphasis then that could be an issue. If a NESCAC team with coaches in flux can't get organized do their "tag" slots go away, maybe to other sports, or can they hold them a longer period looking to use them once the ship is sailing straight.
VTLaxGuy

Post by VTLaxGuy »

Sidelinehorn! wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:03 am
sguy9 wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:22 pm
I think the problem is a lot of them don't make that money later...and if it's 50k-60k a year as the top assistant or HC at a non NESCAC school...makes sense why they are leaving to use their degree to get a 60k entry level job. Loss of serious earning potential if they wait too long grinding it out...Bad system.

I haven't dug too deep on this but I'm confident in saying that at least two of the past few NESCAC hires were guys who had one of those low paying jobs on a NESCAC staff prior to becoming NESCAC Head Coaches (RD and Amherst and the newly hired Bowdoin coach). We also have a number of current head coaches who had to take the two sport coaching path to the NESCAC (Raba, McCormack, Campbell) For a young coach with an eye on the prize; taking a year or two of poverty line salary in order to get "NESCAC experience" on the resume can be a worthy exchange.
KingPrat

Post by KingPrat »

BallHunt wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:44 pm
July 1 offers from schools with coaches in flux I suppose won't happen, so maybe 2-sport athletes rely mostly on the non-lacrosse sport. If the non-lacrosse sport is not the player's emphasis then that could be an issue. If a NESCAC team with coaches in flux can't get organized do their "tag" slots go away, maybe to other sports, or can they hold them a longer period looking to use them once the ship is sailing straight.
I'd say this is partly true, but would greatly depend on the athletics administration as to whether they felt confident in the assistant coach making those decisions. Trinity had a quite a few commits when Tarnow was hired from their assistant staff being on the road that summer.

I think ADs see the importance of being competitive on July 1 and what a delay in finalizing a class could mean for the program in that year.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

KingPrat wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:56 pm
I'd say this is partly true, but would greatly depend on the athletics administration as to whether they felt confident in the assistant coach making those decisions. Trinity had a quite a few commits when Tarnow was hired from their assistant staff being on the road that summer.

I think ADs see the importance of being competitive on July 1 and what a delay in finalizing a class could mean for the program in that year.
If the AD deputizes the assistant coach(es) and they all confirm the players they seek, then I suppose they can make the July 1 calls. It would be unfortunate if later the new coach sees things differently about the players selected, or even the assistant coaches. If I were a prospective coach, during the interview process I would certainly dig into the recruits the program was looking at, or offer alternative recruits demonstrating a degree of research particular to the program.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

BallHunt wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:45 pm
KingPrat wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:56 pm

If the AD deputizes the assistant coach(es) and they all confirm the players they seek, then I suppose they can make the July 1 calls. It would be unfortunate if later the new coach sees things differently about the players selected, or even the assistant coaches. If I were a prospective coach, during the interview process I would certainly dig into the recruits the program was looking at, or offer alternative recruits demonstrating a degree of research particular to the program.
Of course since Bowdoin is set, this affects only Amherst.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”