NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
georgeoar394

Re: NESCAC 2020

Post by georgeoar394 »

JumboFan4 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:27 am
georgeoar394 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:17 am
JumboFan4 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:43 am https://www.espn.com/espnplus/schedule/ ... e/20210425

Link to the Tufts/Dartmouth game today at 3pm.
of course they get it streamed on espn+, smdh..rip
Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I’ve never used ESPN+.

More of just a nuisance, I know people will be turned off because you do have to pay the fee to join. I just wonder why it’s getting picked up by that network anyways. Same thing happened back in Feb of 2020. Harvard played the Cannons and it was streamed on espn+. Just annoying especially when it’s D3 and lower level d1
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

More of just a nuisance, I know people will be turned off because you do have to pay the fee to join. I just wonder why it’s getting picked up by that network anyways. Same thing happened back in Feb of 2020. Harvard played the Cannons and it was streamed on espn+. Just annoying especially when it’s D3 and lower level d1
This is such a silly complaint. Anytime a game is broadcast is good for the game. But I get it, you don't want to see Tufts hang 20+ on a team like they did against you... ;)

Enjoy the rare opportunity to see the 'Cac vs Ivy matchup.
georgeoar394

Post by georgeoar394 »

sguy9 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:08 pm
This is such a silly complaint. Anytime a game is broadcast is good for the game. But I get it, you don't want to see Tufts hang 20+ on a team like they did against you... ;)

Enjoy the rare opportunity to see the 'Cac vs Ivy matchup.
lol. you got me there. You didn't see 'brini and penn getting streamed up on some network and the film. Espn+ does not grow the game imo. It's literally a separate streaming platform that espn is using to make even more money off of. If it was on some main network (espn 2/3) where people viewing had to watch that'd be different. I'd be happy to pay for a stream through a university but espn+ come'on man. From what i remember about the harvard cannons game that film was pretty mediocre
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

My guess is since the Brini vs Penn game was at Brini they could stream however they wanted. But Dartmouth is hosting this game so they have contractual agreements. I agree, free is better, but this is better than nothing. I'd venture a guess that quite a few non lacrosse fans have ESPN + accounts and might stumble on to this game and get excited.

Have fun, lets see if the Big Green can be the ones that slow down the 'Bos!
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Anyone know what’s up with Helfrich? Missed yesterday against Bates and isn’t out there today as well. Faceoff split was 50/50 against Bates; can only assume Dartmouth has better FOGOs than the NESCAC’s worst faceoff team from 2019 (last full season).

As for the broadcast thing, the Ivy has a broadcast deal with ESPN. They host, they broadcast. Better than nothing, but I get the frustration.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

ah23 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:18 pm Anyone know what’s up with Helfrich? Missed yesterday against Bates and isn’t out there today as well. Faceoff split was 50/50 against Bates; can only assume Dartmouth has better FOGOs than the NESCAC’s worst faceoff team from 2019 (last full season).

As for the broadcast thing, the Ivy has a broadcast deal with ESPN. They host, they broadcast. Better than nothing, but I get the frustration.
He tweaked a prior lbi in yest's game.
The12lov3

Post by The12lov3 »

The score was not an indication how dominate Tufts was in this game. First - they missed the net on a lot of shots and the Dartmouth goalie was very impressive. A great win for the Jumbos.
FCIAC LAX

Post by FCIAC LAX »

ah23 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:18 pm Anyone know what’s up with Helfrich? Missed yesterday against Bates and isn’t out there today as well. Faceoff split was 50/50 against Bates; can only assume Dartmouth has better FOGOs than the NESCAC’s worst faceoff team from 2019 (last full season).

Face Offs are Tufts' Achilles' Heel this year, they can get away with it by playing teams that average close to 20 turnovers a game and have a hard time clearing the ball, but it will be problematic against a team like Salisbury with a .750 FOGO; there's also better FOGOs in the NESCAC this year compared to the past.
droliver

Post by droliver »

georgeoar394 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:08 pm
lol. you got me there. You didn't see 'brini and penn getting streamed up on some network and the film. Espn+ does not grow the game imo. It's literally a separate streaming platform that espn is using to make even more money off of.
That’s an absurd statement. ESPN+ is about the best thing there’s ever been to allow people to watch college lacrosse. You can literally watch every big game of the season on it. Without that, lacrosse coverage would literally be NIl in most markets.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

droliver wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:20 pm
lol. you got me there. You didn't see 'brini and penn getting streamed up on some network and the film. Espn+ does not grow the game imo. It's literally a separate streaming platform that espn is using to make even more money off of.
That’s an absurd statement. ESPN+ is about the best thing there’s ever been to allow people to watch college lacrosse. You can literally watch every big game of the season on it. Without that, lacrosse coverage would literally be NIl in most markets.
and it's less than the cost of a sandwich per month. i subscribed when it opened and forgot to turn it off in the off-season. doubt i would've needed that for my funeral.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

***Much to the chagrin of the Dartmouth faithful, I posted this on their thread earlier tonight:

With all due respect to Dartmouth, I don't understand why they would schedule this game. You can talk about the short bench all you want....but this was always going to be the outcome. And if you didn't see this coming, you are either blinded by your "Division 1" elitism or don't know much about top tier Division 3 teams. I played and coached at both levels. This outcome does not shock me at all. Tufts is the real, freakin, deal. Would they beat an ACC team? Of course not. But Dartmouth, yes, this was always going to be the outcome.

***I followed up with this:

I meant it when I said "with all due respect". My assessment was more of an indictment on Tufts than Dartmouth. Dartmouth is down and a bottom tier Division 1 program right now (as it relates to RPI and national relevance). Much like Hobart of the 80s, Naz and WAC of the 90s, and Salisbury of the 2000s, Tufts can beat about a third of Division 1, "run" with the other third, and would lose handily to the top third. Obviously there wouldbe exceptions to breaking it into thirds, but you get the point.

As it relates to Tufts vs Dartmouth. 70 degrees, sunny, equal rest for both teams, late April and in "full stride", I think Tufts wins by a handful. Listen, this was Tufts fifth game in 15 days, their second game in TWO DAYS (both on the road and 3 hours apart), and only their fifth game overall. Not exactly like they were a well rested bunch.

As it relates to Dartmouth. Many moons ago, I was a head coach at a new Division 1 down south. I had been a Division 1 assistant and played Division 3. I remember thinking, "thank God Salisbury (the team who had dominated during my tenure as a player) isn't in this conference. They would beat ALL of us." In my opinion, the interdivisional talent is what makes the sport unique. I have great respect obviously for the whole sport, but particularly for those top tier D 3s that are uber talented and coached as well as anyone in the nation.

You have a fifth year from Gettysburg starting on close D at Syracuse, Charlie Bertrand two time D2 player of the year racking up goals at UVA, and D3 player of the year Kevin Rogers starting at High Point (just to name a few).
Unknown Participant

droliver wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:20 pm
Agreed, pretty much every Patriot League game (among some other conferences I think), some ACC (those not shown on ACCN) from this year can be watched/rewatched and the IVY would have been available too.
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

Any and all coverage of lacrosse on ESPN is a great thing!
georgeoar394

Post by georgeoar394 »

False. It's another money maker on the side. Some average joe that's subscribed to ESPN+ is not going to be paying attention to college lax. I'm just saying if you're putting the games on a "network" many are still encountering an hurtle in trying to gain access to watch the sport.
Unknown Participant

georgeoar394 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:37 pm False. It's another money maker on the side. Some average joe that's subscribed to ESPN+ is not going to be paying attention to college lax. I'm just saying if you're putting the games on a "network" many are still encountering an hurtle in trying to gain access to watch the sport.
No way it's a "money maker." It may be an attempt to monetize the games, which, as a capitalist, I am okay with. Assume 500 people watched the Tufts/Dartmouth game, each paying $4 per month. From that, Dartmouth gets some percentage of the monthly fees of 500 people (pure speculation, I have no idea how the contract between IVY/ESPN actually works). It's peanuts if anything, and I think Dartmouth is pretty well endowed thanks to MDLaxfan76 so it doesn't really need the money.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Eh. To paraphrase wgdsr, IMO the benefit of having tons of lacrosse games on ESPN far outweighs the minimal monthly cost. More games on TV = good. Also...there is zero chance that Ivy League lacrosse is some big moneymaker. It's not the NFL or college football or something.

This is kind of a moot point for D-III anyway; though there are rare exceptions (Lynchburg-W&L on WatchESPN last year, today's Tufts-Dartmouth game, Rhodes living in fantasyland and charging for every game), D-III broadcasts are in house and free. That's good and bad - it's great that all games are watchable, BUT the broadcast quality varies wildly (looking at you, RIT). You get what you pay for I guess, but I don't see how there could be any drawback to increased visibility.
Maggsedge

Post by Maggsedge »

Jumbos face a “real” defense and don’t score 30 goals!? North hype back to where it was in 2016. Can’t wait until they play a south team. Good luck, looking forward to it
JumboFan4

Post by JumboFan4 »

Maggsedge wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:38 pm Jumbos face a “real” defense and don’t score 30 goals!? North hype back to where it was in 2016. Can’t wait until they play a south team. Good luck, looking forward to it
Right back at you. The slow paced, pass the ball around and wait until 10 seconds on the shot clock to shoot, strategy didn’t work so well for Dartmouth today. All good, another comfy victory over here.
I drive a Dodge Stratus.
baltlaxdad1966

Post by baltlaxdad1966 »

Maggsedge wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:38 pm Jumbos face a “real” defense and don’t score 30 goals!? North hype back to where it was in 2016. Can’t wait until they play a south team. Good luck, looking forward to it
15 goals isn't good? lol
bighoss74

Post by bighoss74 »

Salisbury couldn't score 15 goals against a team with a 3-8 record

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”