D3 Mens Lacrosse
DeepPocket

Re: NESCAC 2020

Post by DeepPocket »

MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

I'm a little surprised there's been no further dissection on this board of the Carrington hire at Amherst. He does have a past connection with Woods, and will probably make more as an Amherst Asst. than he did at Tusculum, but you have to wonder what kind of nudging came from this administration -- one that just keeps stepping in every pile on the sidewalk.
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

Carrington has DI experience and HC experience at DII and DIII...please don't insinuate anything else...The Amherst faithful already got what they wanted by pushing RD out the door...they got Woods...let him do his thing
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

A little defensive, are we?

I'm not too close to the NESCAC anymore, though I do get interested when administrations have stupid, misguided, misunderstood, knee-jerk (choose your adjective) reactions to a situation -- oh, I don't know, maybe something like punishing an entire group for the actions of a few. Whether it's Duke, Young Harris, or Amherst, it makes me curious. Given that the NESCAC has the most active board here, I'm a little surprised it's been so quiet lately. Read into that what you want.

If you're the Voice of the NESCAC, then thanks for setting things straight.
Hey everybody, no more questions about Amherst. Let them do their thing!
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
backerzone

Post by backerzone »

Carrington's well respected- ridiculous comparing him to past decisions. He'll do fine- he's qualified- maybe over qualified
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Former Amherst College men’s lacrosse head coach Rashad Devoe has filed a discrimination lawsuit against the school, per The Boston Globe.

Devoe was fired as Amherst men’s lacrosse head coach in June with two years left on his deal. After an investigation into Devoe verbally mistreating players who had broken the school’s COVID-19 rules, the coach was let go, but Devoe, who is Black, alleges the dismissal was deeper and he was collateral in Amherst’s “cozy relationship with elitism, discrimination, and racism.”... more
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Matnum PI wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:06 am Former Amherst College men’s lacrosse head coach Rashad Devoe has filed a discrimination lawsuit against the school, per The Boston Globe.

Devoe was fired as Amherst men’s lacrosse head coach in June with two years left on his deal. After an investigation into Devoe verbally mistreating players who had broken the school’s COVID-19 rules, the coach was let go, but Devoe, who is Black, alleges the dismissal was deeper and he was collateral in Amherst’s “cozy relationship with elitism, discrimination, and racism.”... more
Old news
Muleski

Post by Muleski »

Yes, hardly current.
Expecting to see it go away, with a decent, sworn to secrecy settlement.
Best to get this entire episode behind them.
Laxwizard

Post by Laxwizard »

As we said before on this old news topic, there is a chance it may be dismissed by the Judge before it gets to trial, so they will at least wait until after the initial hearing before they settle. Is AC the only topic in the NESCAC board anymore? How's Fall practice for the NESCAC? Weather has been perfect.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Laxwizard wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:23 pm As we said before on this old news topic, there is a chance it may be dismissed by the Judge before it gets to trial, so they will at least wait until after the initial hearing before they settle. Is AC the only topic in the NESCAC board anymore? How's Fall practice for the NESCAC? Weather has been perfect.
I have a question. Is fall ball permitted in the NESCAC now? I saw Tufts is practicing and I was confused when the rules changed. Is that permitted now? What are the limitations? Is this covid related?
Ddw1

Post by Ddw1 »

Fall Ball is permitted in the NESCAC this Fall -- with the coaches fully participating.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Ddw1 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:41 pm Fall Ball is permitted in the NESCAC this Fall -- with the coaches fully participating.
Interesting… so happy for those athletes. I wonder if it’ll stick or if the NESCAC will roll it back in 2022.
georgeoar394

Post by georgeoar394 »

First year I think was last year technically
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Yeah, but last year's fall ball was socially distanced small group drills. This year is like any other D III school (absent the fall game/scrimmage against another school). And when fall ball ends (15 practices I think), it is back to captains' practices and in-house scrimmages like always or so I have been told.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Ddw1 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:41 pm Fall Ball is permitted in the NESCAC this Fall -- with the coaches fully participating.
Doubt many will make it with how strong the NESCAC has become, but this at least gives walk ons a fighting chance. Always felt badly for those who showed up for “tryouts” on February 15th.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Laxxal22 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:42 pm
Doubt many will make it with how strong the NESCAC has become, but this at least gives walk ons a fighting chance. Always felt badly for those who showed up for “tryouts” on February 15th.
Interesting point. With all of the coaching turnover, controversy, gap years, etc., there may be some open slots and some open minds among the coaching staffs to take a real look at walk-ons. I know of at least one athlete at Bowdoin who just made the team as a walk-on.
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

Bowdoin takes walk-ons regularly I believe....Very excited to see how Mason does.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Laxxal22 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:42 pm
Not really fair, generally, "walk ons" participated in fall captains' practices (scrimmages), and, generally, the coaching staff know a lot about them before Feb. 15 from the captains, etc.

My $.02
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Fair. I still think a coach will go with his 9th or 10th recruit in a class over a walk on that is on the same level. I just feel like with a full fall a coach might see potential for a walk on for a position switch (or just liking a kid's moxie) with his own eyes over the course of a few weeks.

More likely, and better for the walk ons, is that they'll know their college lacrosse career is over in October (I'm assuming cuts will now be in the fall) and can move on to other things.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

Maybe this is how it is in the NESCAC but in other conferences I can say first hand that walk ons are welcome and given a fair shot to show what they have. Nobody is entitled to anything, recruited or not.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”