FIT

D2 Mens Lacrosse
Old&InTheWay

FIT

Post by Old&InTheWay »

Does anyone know what's going on at FIT?
WhiteCarrera

Re: FIT

Post by WhiteCarrera »

Apparently fired the HC yesterday, and I think also the baseball HC. AD held a meeting with the team, and they walked out on him.
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

But why?
Fandadof3laxers

Post by Fandadof3laxers »

New AD clearly wants to bring in his own guys. Had the mass email and text sent out before he even told the coach in their one on one meeting Thursday. Coach has 2 kids on the team and they find out via text their dad has “resigned”. Exact words in the message AD sent. In reality, he fired him. No reason given other than wants to go in a new direction with a new culture. Coach Penn was universally loved by the team and staff. It’s a mess.
Old&InTheWay

Post by Old&InTheWay »

Sound like the AD is creating the potential for kids to jump into the transfer portal.
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

Old&InTheWay wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:20 am Sound like the AD is creating the potential for kids to jump into the transfer portal.
Sounds like that is what the AD wants.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

Unfortunate developments at FTech. I thought on paper that this program had a chance to take a big step forward in 2022, perhaps win a conference championship. From what I could see on social media, the HC and staff had a great rapport with the players, they seemed like a jolly bunch.
Hopefully the leadership within the team steadies the boat, keeps everyone in place and they have the best season they can have.
With the right leadership, these moments can bring a team closer - after all, you don't play for coaches, ADs or parents, you play for each other. Close ranks, ignore the noise, play ball and have fun.
Old&InTheWay

Post by Old&InTheWay »

According to the AD, they want to change the culture of the team. Why, he did not explain, not sure what the current staff can really do if they are bringing in a new coach. Seems problematic at this point.
LaxCoach13

Post by LaxCoach13 »

Sounds like a tough situation, saw the AD took credit for starting Davis and Elkins, don't know if I would admit that I have heard they have always suffered from lack of support. If applying I think I would think twice sadly, they have always had a good program.
Old&InTheWay

Post by Old&InTheWay »

I would totally agree. Sounds like the being steps, of the end for FIT lacrosse.
Bob Lawblaw

Post by Bob Lawblaw »

LaxCoach13 wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:55 pm Sounds like a tough situation, saw the AD took credit for starting Davis and Elkins, don't know if I would admit that I have heard they have always suffered from lack of support. If applying I think I would think twice sadly, they have always had a good program.
Good point. D&E - been a bit of a tough go with that program...so not sure it'd be a good feather to have in the cap. Too bad for FIT....from the outside, it looked like a solid program with a tight knit group.

I guess the risk these players/families take...coaches can come and go...teammates can come and go...school, most likely, will be there. So it's important to make sure the school/education is the best fit first.
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

yeah, I'm not sure this is a step in the right direction for Fla Tech lacrosse
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
leeatu

Post by leeatu »

Not a lot of confidence in what has been going on over the last few years at Florida Tech. In 2018, track & field was reduced to distance track. Men's / women's tennis and women's golf were cut in 2019, women's golf went on to win the national title. A successful football team was cut in 2020 after 7 seasons. Can't figure out what they are doing.
LacrosseFan33

Post by LacrosseFan33 »

D2fan

Post by D2fan »

This reeks of cost-cutting measures.

D&E has 1 head coach for their M & W lacrosse team, with an "Associate Head Coach" for each. They also seem to do this with a number of sports.

If FIT hires a young coach with little head coaching experience, then there is a good chance they got rid of Penn for a cheaper alternative.
Old&InTheWay

Post by Old&InTheWay »

This situation seems to be worsening by the IL article. Sounds like a mutiny is building and not sure what measures can be put in place to stop it. Does the interm AC have the experience to handle what's going on? It seems like a lot to ask anyone. What coaches are going to leave their teams in mid-season? Anyone have any insight?
LaxCoach1952

Post by LaxCoach1952 »

FIT has their guy already. Being that it didnt take long makes you think its someone inside the program already.
Old&InTheWay

Post by Old&InTheWay »

Jan 5 ? No news! What direction is FIT going? Seems like the AD is in a pickle.
Laxguy22

Post by Laxguy22 »

Was just informed from a source that the search is complete and they will be announcing hire soon. No idea who it is, but will be interesting to see how this happens in the next 5 days.
Old&InTheWay

Post by Old&InTheWay »

New coach working into a tough situation, disgruntled players, parents, alumni and covid to deal with. Needs to hit the ground running and get a coaching staff together. Should be interesting to say the least.

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”