Division II Odds to Win the Championship

D2 Mens Lacrosse
WhiteCarrera

Re: Division II Odds to Win the Championship

Post by WhiteCarrera »

Cheeks, I have so many questions:

When/Where have you said anything like "put Tampa in these other conferences and it's the same result." I can't find that in any of your 5 posts.

What's a "20 piece"? Chicken McNuggets? Is that supposed to be a good thing?

Did you actually use "turd" as a verb?

But it's not fair of me to ask questions without answering yours, so if a team beats a top 10 team, then I'm okay with them being in the top 10 for a few weeks. LeMoyne now has four top 10 victories (which is four more than the number of overzealous LeMoyne fans on this site), so no gripes from me.
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
Cricket410

Post by Cricket410 »

INSTANT CLASSIC BABY
Last edited by Cricket410 on Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteCarrera

Post by WhiteCarrera »

Cricket - sounds like you're on the same page with a lot of us, who don't deny that Tampa is a good team, but just resist this idea that they're the best, when they haven't yet had the wins or played the games to back that up.

Is your last statement saying that the top two teams in the SSC would be competitive with the top two in the SAC? That's fair, but that's a lot different than just crying out "Tampa's the best!" FWIW I'd throw in the top two in the GLVC and top two in Conference Carolinas, which basically gives you the 8 teams up for the five spots.
It's either a thoughtful comment or smartass sarcasm. Learn to recognize the difference.
Cricket410

Post by Cricket410 »

INSTANT CLASSIC BABY
Last edited by Cricket410 on Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlaxLaxDad

Post by BlaxLaxDad »

I have been following the conversation on Tampa and the SSC conference and the numbers don't add up.

Just looking at Tampa, the dominant team in the SSC, since 2017 they are 7-9 against out of conference top 15 opponents. Including top 10 teams in the SSC they played during that time they are 8-11.

Respectable but nothing that justifies the notion about their dominance or that of the SSC.

During that time there was only one other team ranked in the top 10, St Leo, during their Cinderella run in 2018.

And the notion that the acquisition of D1 players will make them magically dominant makes no sense unless you are saying they picked up some 1st or 2nd string players from major programs.

Let's be honest lacrosse isn't football or basketball where the difference between D1 and D2 athletes is HUGE....

To be clear Tampa IS year in and year out a top 5 team in the South but it's a stretch to paint them as DOMINANT unless they go on a Limestone type run.

And as far as conferences go; the best D2 southern conference right now is the SAC. with LR, Limestone, and Wingate they have 3 teams that will be top 15 teams year in and year out and at least 2 of those teams will finish in the top 10 and 1 in the top 5.

You can throw Queens into the mix as a team that can easily break into the top 15 and Catawba that has been very competitive the last 2 years.

No other conference in the south has that depth of competition and the SAC is one of the top D2 conferences in the country.
BlaxLaxDad

Post by BlaxLaxDad »

Tampa's record against top 15 teams since 2017

2020 2-0
14 Queens W
9 Adelphi W

2019 1-3
10 Belmont Abbey L
12 Lindenwood L
10 Wingate W
1 Limestone L

2018 3-1 (4-3)
1 Limestone W
7 NYIT W
10 Belmont Abbey W
3 Lenoirw Rhyne L
5 St Leo L
6 St Leo W
5 St Leo L

2017 1-4
2 Limestone L
11 Belmont Abbey L
5 NYIT L
7 Lenoir Rhyne W
1 Limestone L
BlaxLaxDad

Post by BlaxLaxDad »

I will also say this; I'm surprised Both BA and Mount Olive are BOTH ranked in the top 4 in the regional rankings.

And argument can be made for one or the other; but both?

I would give the edge to BA because they have the better conf record (including the conf CHIP) 6-1 vs 5-2...

But I'm not sure if they played again MO would not win the rubber match.
cowboylax

Post by cowboylax »

The question is….what about Limestone? Identical record to Abbey and have the head to head.
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

The NE10 made a very early commitment to make sure there was a lacrosse (spring) season, because of 2020.

Because of that they had to make some decisions in February for scheduling based upon health guidelines that are bizarre looking at them now.

The NH schools and the Vermont school couldn’t play NY, but they could play the Mass schools. Same goes for NY schools.

Now we have this mess where St A, and Adelphi only have losses to LeMoyne.
BlaxLaxDad

Post by BlaxLaxDad »

cowboylax wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:23 pm The question is….what about Limestone? Identical record to Abbey and have the head to head.
An argument can be made there but Abbey has the edge in strength of schedule, record against teams above 500, in region SOS and Limestone is not even in the regional rankings (top 7).

Of course anything is possible... But it be tough for me to believe they will get the nod given those facts.

Looks like Tamp is going to today solidifying that 5 slot.
SouthernLaxGenius

Post by SouthernLaxGenius »

Abbey, MO and Stone are pretty close. I would venture that Stones SOS is stronger based on the conference they play in.

Everything seems pretty close between Abbey and MO and Stone but what is Abbey's best win that MO and Stone don't have? :?:

Abbey lost to Catawba, who MO beat;
MO lost to NGU, who Abbey and Stone beat;
Abbey, MO and Stone all beat Queens;
Abbey and MO split;
Abbey lost to Stone;
Stone lost to Newberry who MO beat;
Abbey = CC champ a trump card or is Stones win and no loss to Abbey held at greater value, or is MO beating Colorado Mesa even the field, yet again

Oh man I think I confused myself :lol:
BlaxLaxDad

Post by BlaxLaxDad »

BA has the stronger SOS .574 vs Limestone .556.

Remember BA play LR, Limestone, Queens and Catawba.

But I get your point.
SouthernLaxGenius

BlaxLaxDad wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:46 pm BA has the stronger SOS .574 vs Limestone .556.

Remember BA play LR, Limestone, Queens and Catawba.

But I get your point.
I know what you're saying but remember Stone played Wingate twice, Catawba (like Abbey), Queens (like Abbey), LR (like Abbey).

Wont get into the rest of the schedules, but not sure CC out weighs SAC, but the fact that Abbey played MO twice will help them
BlaxLaxDad

Post by BlaxLaxDad »

I suspect BA winning their conf chip will carry some weight..

I know in D2 conf CHIPS are not automatic but in the eyes of the selection committee it must be a consideration.

There is no other way to explain why BA is ranked 4th..

Your argument for Limestone holds water just through a simple comparison of records but the math for all the selection criteria they use says otherwise.

I mean, Limestone didn't even make it to the SAC championship game and finished 4th in their conference!

Yes CC is not the SAC in terms of competition... But D2 in the South IS becoming more competitive overall. Let's be honest; it used to be Limestone, maybe Tampa and then everyone else...

Now there are 4 conferences with teams that can at least compete with the Northern schools. This is a GOOD thing for southern Lacrosse.

Putting Limestone in this year would not advance that cause. Hell we all know they'll be back anyway... So Limestone fans needn't worry.
Pitt12

Post by Pitt12 »

cowboylax wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:23 pm The question is….what about Limestone? Identical record to Abbey and have the head to head.
I think the loss to newberry takes them out of consideration.
Cricket410

Post by Cricket410 »

INSTANT CLASSIC BABY
Last edited by Cricket410 on Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pitt12

Post by Pitt12 »

Cricket410 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:03 pm Tampa vs LR. Oh my. Tampa by 4
Only 4! I mean they could of put up
50 on Mt Olve???
SouthernLaxGenius

Pitt12 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:39 pm
Cricket410 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 6:03 pm Tampa vs LR. Oh my. Tampa by 4
Only 4! I mean they could of put up
50 on Mt Olve???

:lol:

If the over under is set at 34.5 take the OVER (and LR of course)
LunchBox

Post by LunchBox »

The LR - Tampa being billed as a heavyweight match. Tampa holds a 4 - 1 edge historical wins. LR will win to narrow the history. I look for LR to shake off some rust in the first quarter and keep it close. Overall team speed of LR runs Tampa out of gas and a tight win in regulation. Go Bears!
Pitt12

Post by Pitt12 »

LunchBox wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 9:39 pm The LR - Tampa being billed as a heavyweight match. Tampa holds a 4 - 1 edge historical wins. LR will win to narrow the history. I look for LR to shake off some rust in the first quarter and keep it close. Overall team speed of LR runs Tampa out of gas and a tight win in regulation. Go Bears!
Tampa looking tough to beat. Tampa by a few goals.

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”