UTampa

D2 Mens Lacrosse
SouthernLaxGenius

Re: UTampa

Post by SouthernLaxGenius »

tampalax wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 1:22 pm just my opinion, a few things will need to happen to move the coaching needle
-Lynn overtakes them in the SSC ( they have the best shot) and they miss out on a ncaa
that will get the admins attention
In my heart I have always felt that it should be Jorgensen and St. Leo (more years like 2018) or possibly Ward at Florida Southern (he took over for Whipple after being an assistant) to be fighting it out.

But I agree, even though they have only won one game in their short history against each other, it looks like it is BK and Lynn are the most serious threats to Tampa in the SSC currently.
cuseman4133

Post by cuseman4133 »

Barely in the D2 world but have heard a few murmurs that Whipple is out as HC. Stunner.
118:24 #HHH
SouthernLaxGenius

cuseman4133 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:33 pm Barely in the D2 world but have heard a few murmurs that Whipple is out as HC. Stunner.
:?: :?: :?:
Lacrossehead17

Post by Lacrossehead17 »

SouthernLaxGenius wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:03 pm
cuseman4133 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:33 pm Barely in the D2 world but have heard a few murmurs that Whipple is out as HC. Stunner.
If that’s true I would kinda shocked. I wonder who would be the candidates for the HC would be....
SouthernLaxGenius

Lacrossehead17 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:59 am
SouthernLaxGenius wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:03 pm
If that’s true I would kinda shocked. I wonder who would be the candidates for the HC would be....
No offense to the current staff, but if this has legs, administration would probably look outside and bring in a "significant " name
tampalax

Post by tampalax »

gonna be an interesting summer, didn't think it would happen this year
Laxfan00

Post by Laxfan00 »

Whipple has officially retired
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

SouthernLaxGenius

Laxfan00 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:00 pm Whipple has officially retired
Let the speculation begin 8-)
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

I think Syracuse may have a few available candidates....Desko, Rogers...
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

Anyone have any idea when they’re posting the position?
Some of the alumni were saying that previous assistants are very interested, I’ve heard theres a lot of interest from some pretty good D2 coaches and as well
D2fan

Post by D2fan »

Tampa should just go after Dan Sheehan at Le Moyne or Chris Ryan at Mercyhurst.

2 guys who are proven winners at this level. Hell, they get some very talented kids to go sit in the snowbanks of Erie, PA, and Syracuse, NY for 5 months during the year. Imagine what they could do with what Tampa offers.
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

D2fan wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:20 pm Tampa should just go after Dan Sheehan at Le Moyne or Chris Ryan at Mercyhurst.

2 guys who are proven winners at this level. Hell, they get some very talented kids to go sit in the snowbanks of Erie, PA, and Syracuse, NY for 5 months during the year. Imagine what they could do with what Tampa offers.
If the rumors about UAH last summer were true and one of those two coaches applied to that opening... I would assume that they would be applying to Tampa as well!
pridelax13

Post by pridelax13 »

Have heard Sullivan the top assistant on staff is being seriously considered for the job. Have also heard Reisman from Limestone is a name to watch-he was a previous assistant at Tampa who the players really liked.

I've also heard Storrier at Mars Hill and Ward from Florida Southern have stated interest. Both are former Limestone guys. Storrier had a ton of success at Limestone as their OC but very limited success as the HC at Mars Hill the last three years. Ward followed Whipple at Florida Southern, and they seem to get a lot of love in the rankings every year but end up 8-8 most seasons (with this season being a disaster).

No word on any big time current head coaches looking at the position but you would think the admin is reaching out to the bigger names to gauge interest. Sheehan is probably a no, why would he leave the National Champs? Can't picture Ryan leaving Mercyhurst, but maybe the warmer weather is enticing. Paradine from LR would be a great choice, but I seriously doubt he leaves the program he built from scratch plus he has a daughter playing relatively nearby at UNC. Boyle from Wingate is another great choice-his ability to coach up players coupled with the talent at Tampa would be amazing but he just made the move the Wingate from Long Island in 2017 and has said many times how happy he is at Wingate but its a possibility. Darkhorse I could see hired is Barrett from Belmont Abbey. Rumors are that BA isn't in a great spot financially, and he might be ready to move on. He has done a phenomenal job at BA given the resources and runs a similar style program to Tampa with a very large roster.
SouthernLaxGenius

Now that is the type of speculation I like to see 8-)

I know they do like Sullivan down there in Tampa, so if he is picked, it wouldnt be a surprise.

I understand the likes of Barrett, Storrier and Ward gauging interest. Maybe someone right in their back yard like Kingsbury or Levine could be of interest to Administration
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

Any word out of Tampa on the HC search? C'mon, someone on here has to have a little insider information.

The assistant Sullivan would seem to be the choice looking in from the outside. He has done five years at Tampa as an assistant, and has a record of success as an assistant before coming to Tampa. I imagine Whipple and the players liked him, and he liked it there, if he stuck around that long.

An earlier post mentioned Ward from Southern, which in some ways seems like a perfect fit - putting aside the rivalry between the schools, and the awkward situation that would result from that intraconference switcheroo. I think Ward might have a relationship with Tehoka, I wonder if he could be convinced to play D2 in the SSC. He did play at IMG before college. :shock:
LI_Lax14

Post by LI_Lax14 »

Any thought to Chris Panos being in the mix for Tampa? Former Assistant who has had success as a D2 HC.
Old&InTheWay

Post by Old&InTheWay »

Any word on Tampa or thoughts on why this hire is taking so long?
Tumbleweedlax

Post by Tumbleweedlax »

JB Clark. Limestone
LI_Lax14

Post by LI_Lax14 »

Wild hire if true.

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”