Post by Matnum PI »

38 students test positive for COVID-19 at Belmont Abbey College
https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/38-ac ... BCN3SHOZM/
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Re: Belmont Abbey 2021

Post by Matnum PI »

Belmont Abbey men's lacrosse team was selected the favorite in the Conference Carolinas preseason poll, the conference office announced today.
Caddy Day
StuckinD2

Post by StuckinD2 »

With Limestone moving to the SAC the CC will be run by Belmont Abbey. I do not see them losing the conference anytime soon. It’ll be Belmont Abbey and Mount Olive with a huge drop off behind them. Let’s hope some of these mid programs can grow through recruiting over the next year or so. I also hope some non lacrosse schools add to grow the conference!
Lacrossehead17

Post by Lacrossehead17 »

Belmont Abbey plays Queens this Friday. BAC has been having trouble on defense so far this season and had a scare last weekend with Montevallo. Is there defense going to be the Achilles heel of the team?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Good W this weekend...
Caddy Day
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:11 am Good W this weekend...
Absolutely - but their SOS probably keeps them from being considered for the 5 South selections in the NCAA...
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Agreed. A good W... but not good enough.
Caddy Day
Lacrossehead17

Post by Lacrossehead17 »

RedFromMI wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:30 am
Matnum PI wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:11 am Good W this weekend...
Absolutely - but their SOS probably keeps them from being considered for the 5 South selections in the NCAA...
I don't think they would let them in considering they lost 4 games.

The only I guess bad lost would be limestone and catawba

Lenoir rhyne won the SAC so they might get a little bit of a break
SouthernLaxGenius

Post by SouthernLaxGenius »

If they had beat Limestone, even with the Catawba loss, I think they would be in.

I have been wrong before, but unfortunately it doesn't (currently) look good for Abbey.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

SouthernLaxGenius wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:59 pm If they had beat Limestone, even with the Catawba loss, I think they would be in.

I have been wrong before, but unfortunately it doesn't (currently) look good for Abbey.
You might know for sure if they don't make the list of who is being considered when they release this week's regional rankings...
Laxboy

Post by Laxboy »

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/lacrosse- ... l-rankings

BAC is listed Under Consideration on the most recent rankings. Thoughts? Ranked #6.
SouthernLaxGenius

Laxboy wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:21 pm https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/lacrosse- ... l-rankings

BAC is listed Under Consideration on the most recent rankings. Thoughts? Ranked #6.

It's going to be close 8-)
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Laxboy wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:21 pm https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/lacrosse- ... l-rankings

More likely #7. Stone is more likely to be #6 with the head-to-head over the Abbey.
BlaxLaxDad

Post by BlaxLaxDad »

Looks like BA will get in... I can't Imagine either the Tampa or the UIndy games impacting them.

I think those 2 games will determine whether UIndy or Tampa gets the 5th spot.

That said BA has been a basket case this year. it's hard to explain how a defense that when the season ended in 2020 was the 6th ranked scoring defense in D2 and that's was through the tough part of their schedule.

Or the team in 2019 gave Limestone a run fir its money in 2 exciting games and lost a heart breaker to UIndy in the Quarterfinals.

Especially given their roster did not turn over that much from 2020.

There is a deeper issue with that team that I think has to do with leadership and coaching that will make it hard to win against the next level of competition they will face in the tournament.

But perhaps there's a reason they have never been able to make the jump to that "next" level.
Laxwarrior

Post by Laxwarrior »

BlaxLaxDad wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:09 pm Looks like BA will get in... I can't Imagine either the Tampa or the UIndy games impacting them.

I think those 2 games will determine whether UIndy or Tampa gets the 5th spot.

That said BA has been a basket case this year. it's hard to explain how a defense that when the season ended in 2020 was the 6th ranked scoring defense in D2 and that's was through the tough part of their schedule.

Or the team in 2019 gave Limestone a run fir its money in 2 exciting games and lost a heart breaker to UIndy in the Quarterfinals.

Especially given their roster did not turn over that much from 2020.

There is a deeper issue with that team that I think has to do with leadership and coaching that will make it hard to win against the next level of competition they will face in the tournament.

But perhaps there's a reason they have never been able to make the jump to that "next" level.
I guess we won't know if they get a win in the tournament in 2021!
BlaxLaxDad

Post by BlaxLaxDad »

Yeah....

I don't know next year will be any better...

The Trend lines are not good.....
Lacrossehead17

Post by Lacrossehead17 »

BlaxLaxDad wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:58 pm Yeah....

I don't know next year will be any better...

The Trend lines are not good.....
It's concerning when they over recruit and lose a lot of people to the transfer portal...
SouthernLaxGenius

Lacrossehead17 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:37 pm
It's concerning when they over recruit and lose a lot of people to the transfer portal...
Unfortunately they have to over recruit and bring in a certain amount of kids each year or it will change the support they get (scholarship money, budget, etc).

The school's current financial situation/structure seems "shaky" at best.

On the LAX side, (even though Coach Barrett will still schedule them) Limestone is gone and it should be them and Mount Olive year in and year out for the CC championship. There is nothing wrong with splitting with the Trojans this year and they did capture the CC tournament championship. That being said you cant come out and open the season with a loss to Catawba. Probably cost the a trip to the NCAA's
BlaxLaxDad

Post by BlaxLaxDad »

I think you're right about why they over recruit...

The Catawba loss was just a warning sign that there was something wrong with this team...

Keep in mind this was the same team that last year was running 7 -0 through the tough part of their schedule when COVID ended the season.

Basically the same team this year that looked like crap against decent opponents and struggled with some middle of the road teams..

They have talent but there is a reason they have CC outright once...

The 2019 team was a REALLY GOOD player team with a lot of young players showing out..

2020 those young players seem to be on a role and looking to take the program to the next level...

Then this year a complete collapse... their record padded with win against weaker teams.

This 2021 years team would have been exposed by a normal schedule...

Next week year will be interesting...

Was this simply a down year or portents of things to come.
SouthernLaxGenius

Not knocking the team they currently have, but they need more Cruz, Osbourne and Wiedmann types

Return to “D2 MENS LACROSSE”