Lafayette 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

Lafayette 2023

Post by gymman1031 »

After going winless in both 2020 and 2021, the Leopards and Coach Pat Myers improved to 4-11 in 2022. This year, do they take the next step and finish no worse than one game below .500? Or finish even better? He will be in his fifth season, so even more of the talent will be his.
10stone5

Re: Lafayette 2023

Post by 10stone5 »

I’ve been following Lafayette’s recruiting the past few years,
which I think has been solid,

they broke through with a Patriot League win last year,
and probably their biggest win in several years,
over Drexel a team that was close to making it to the
Quarterfinals the prior year, in a game that wasn’t really
that close - probably as well as I’ve seen that team play in
years,

continue to go after some more Patriot League wins would be
my goal for that team this year.

They made a real good pickup in the freshman goalie
from Malvern Prep.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

is it possible that coaching is to blame? they've had good talent there and have been horrendous. i'm sure the dude is a good guy but his seat has to be hot.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:25 am is it possible that coaching is to blame? they've had good talent there and have been horrendous. i'm sure the dude is a good guy but his seat has to be hot.
I thought Myers would be a very good HC, was early on mapping and data as an AC.

Equally possible that someone has to be near the bottom and demographics, location and other considerations make it pretty hard on Laf compared with Loyola, BU, Navy, Army and even Bucknell. Success for the programs near the bottom of the league is getting into top 4 at all IMO.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Went to wikipedia to look up what Rogalski's record at Lafayette was and it looks like a disgruntled alum or fan has made some edits that have yet to be detected:

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:40 am Went to wikipedia to look up what Rogalski's record at Lafayette was and it looks like a disgruntled alum or fan has made some edits that have yet to be detected:

Holy hell that is wonderfully funny if wrong.
See Martin, Malcolm
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:40 am Went to wikipedia to look up what Rogalski's record at Lafayette was and it looks like a disgruntled alum or fan has made some edits that have yet to be detected:

That is definitely not nice nor sporting.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hey, at least "Pee Man" had a better record than Myers.

It's not surprising that Lafayette struggles but I do wonder why they're always significantly worse than Lehigh and Bucknell, two other small PA schools with similar academic profiles, also in the middle of nowhere (relatively speaking). In fact Lafayette is much closer to Philly than Bucknell is. One would think there is a pathway to being more competitive in-conference with those two schools.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

They lost Scott Beida as the OC so he could take the Michigan OC job. I think that Scoot will be missed and will eventually be a really good head coach.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:34 am Hey, at least "Pee Man" had a better record than Myers.

It's not surprising that Lafayette struggles but I do wonder why they're always significantly worse than Lehigh and Bucknell, two other small PA schools with similar academic profiles, also in the middle of nowhere (relatively speaking). In fact Lafayette is much closer to Philly than Bucknell is. One would think there is a pathway to being more competitive in-conference with those two schools.
Any idea if Lafayette has the full 12.6 scholarships? I'm pretty sure Lehigh does and Bucknell has a few... I think. Both of those schools have a stronger history in lacrosse and have been committed to the lax programs for a long time. Lax has not been a focus of the school admin until recently. It takes some time to build a program even with a supportive administration.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

I believe that Lafayette is not even close to being fully funded
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

These conversations embolden my position that everyone should saulte what Hobart accomplished the last 15+ years in D1 winning multiple PL titles and earning AQ and At large (2x) bids to the playoffs with not only zero scholarships, a tiny lesser regarded academic insitution with declining endowment competitiveness compared with PL and other schools but standards above half the D1 schools still and generally having the NCAA up our backsides to get us to leave the dual division status the entire time.
See Martin, Malcolm
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Asgot wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:15 am I believe that Lafayette is not even close to being fully funded
I don't think Lafayette or Bucknell are anywhere near fully funded, either. But I think Lehigh is (or at least closer to fully funded). Others might be able to speak to that.
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Wheels wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:57 am
Asgot wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:15 am I believe that Lafayette is not even close to being fully funded
I don't think Lafayette or Bucknell are anywhere near fully funded, either. But I think Lehigh is (or at least closer to fully funded). Others might be able to speak to that.
I believe Bucknell has up its scholarships is recent years.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

Asgot wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:28 pm They lost Scott Beida as the OC so he could take the Michigan OC job. I think that Scoot will be missed and will eventually be a really good head coach.
So you’re saying it can get worse?
Laxrules10

Post by Laxrules10 »

Lehigh is fully funded with 12.6
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:59 pm
Asgot wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:28 pm They lost Scott Beida as the OC so he could take the Michigan OC job. I think that Scoot will be missed and will eventually be a really good head coach.
So you’re saying it can get worse?
I have heard that there are some issues, including a lack of financial support by the school and some issues with getting Paine types of players into the school.
bison137

Post by bison137 »

oldbartman wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:10 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:34 am Hey, at least "Pee Man" had a better record than Myers.

Any idea if Lafayette has the full 12.6 scholarships? I'm pretty sure Lehigh does and Bucknell has a few... I think. Both of those schools have a stronger history in lacrosse and have been committed to the lax programs for a long time. Lax has not been a focus of the school admin until recently. It takes some time to build a program even with a supportive administration.
Lehigh is at least close to 12.6. Bucknell, in contrast, just got a few scholarships for the first time this year. Lafayette also is far from fully funded but I don’t know exactly how many they have.
bison137

Post by bison137 »

Turnandrake wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:30 am
I believe Bucknell has up its scholarships is recent years.

Bucknell just started giving out lax scholarships this past year. They will gradually get up to seven or eight.
sinman6

Post by sinman6 »

How did Lafayette do in its scrimmages this fall? Any goalies distinguish themselves?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”