Re: Recruiting, the exact science

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:00 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:35 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:37 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:45 pm
henryben wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:12 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:57 pm
jersey shore lax wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:33 pm I am not a fan of re-classifying hold back but every family has to make the decision that is best for their kid. As far as PG'ing after HS and after they commit can be done for a few reasons, scholastics, physical maturity or straight up just about lacrosse, I know a number of kids that were told that they would have to PG if they wanted to commit to XYZ college and that was coming directly form the coach.

The one point that I think has been overlooked in all this has been the covid year, virtually everyone was given a red shirt and now there is five years worth of players fitting into a four year college career. I think when this finally plays itself out you might see some less PG's although you will still have hold backs and re-classifies.
Covid pushed a lot of kids down. I personally know a 2022 that’s now a 2024 and no seat yet.
That kid would probably be a good player at a D3 school?
I was thinking the same thing.
He would be a good fit for D3. But most parents don't realize there are at least 30 D3 programs that are better coached, run, and supported by their school than many of the bottom 20 D1 schools. And that's not even considering academics.
Which makes the D3 option darn attractive.
Less cocktail bragging for mom and dad, but potentially way better experience.
I don’t know, with all due respect to institutions are you talking up that partial to Bellarmine or Mercer when a NESCAC or W&L was an easy and affordable option? That would be silly.
As I know you agree, the NESCAC or W&L option has all sorts of benefits but doesn't include the bragging benefits (for some people) of saying..."my son went D1" at XYZ. I'm not throwing aspersions at any particular D1. Just agreeing that there are bunch of darn good experiences to be had at D3 schools, both academically and athletically.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:09 pm
jersey shore lax wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:33 pm I am not a fan of re-classifying hold back but every family has to make the decision that is best for their kid. As far as PG'ing after HS and after they commit can be done for a few reasons, scholastics, physical maturity or straight up just about lacrosse, I know a number of kids that were told that they would have to PG if they wanted to commit to XYZ college and that was coming directly form the coach.

The one point that I think has been overlooked in all this has been the covid year, virtually everyone was given a red shirt and now there is five years worth of players fitting into a four year college career. I think when this finally plays itself out you might see some less PG's although you will still have hold backs and re-classifies.
Covid pushed a lot of kids down. I personally know a 2022 that’s now a 2024 and no seat yet.
He would be a good fit for D3. But most parents don't realize there are at least 30 D3 programs that are better coached, run, and supported by their school than many of the bottom 20 D1 schools. And that's not even considering academics.
I don’t know, with all due respect to institutions are you talking up that partial to Bellarmine or Mercer when a NESCAC or W&L was an easy and affordable option? That would be silly.
As I know you agree, the NESCAC or W&L option has all sorts of benefits but doesn't include the bragging benefits (for some people) of saying..."my son went D1" at XYZ. I'm not throwing aspersions at any particular D1. Just agreeing that there are bunch of darn good experiences to be had at D3 schools, both academically and athletically.
Still so little money to be made long term unless you want to model your life after Cabell Maddux that getting that quality education and a quality athletics experience should supersede Johnny got a piece to go to…
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Cabell Maddux
MadLax — Mac Christmas and several other very good prospects.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:41 am

Cabell Maddux
MadLax — Mac Christmas and several other very good prospects.
The ones who didn’t end up in therapy because he sent awful letters to a teenage kids parents or abused many other kids. Or nearly took down Hobart’s program because he dragged a Dension kid out of a car and beat the heck out of a kid and put him in a hospital for months and out Provost let the dude come back for most the lacrosse season?

He may have pumped some good players but I bet he’s hurt more kids over time.

I’m too close to that dude to hear much defense of him as a person.
See Martin, Malcolm
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Nah, there can always be cocktail bragging!
Lots of reasons to brag!
These new D3 schools are great, but extra points at the Country Club when you can brag AND mention your kid goes to an old-timey, D3 powerhouse program...
Last edited by kramerica.inc on Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:04 am, edited 4 times in total.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:59 am

Nah, there can always be cocktail bragging!

Lots of reasons to brag!

These new D3 schools are great, but it's even better when you throw in an old-timey, D3 powerhouse program...
:D ;)
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:59 am These new D3 schools are great, but extra points at the Country Club when you can brag AND mention your kid goes to an old-timey, D3 powerhouse program...
:lol: yes, the "old school" country club set understands when you tell them junior is playing at W&L or Ahmerst or Haverford or Tufts.

But when you are hanging out at the CCoS (country club of suburbia) they might not know those schools - but they all know what "D1" means :lol: :roll:
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

HooDat wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:34 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 9:59 am These new D3 schools are great, but extra points at the Country Club when you can brag AND mention your kid goes to an old-timey, D3 powerhouse program...
:lol: yes, the "old school" country club set understands when you tell them junior is playing at W&L or Ahmerst or Haverford or Tufts.

But when you are hanging out at the CCoS (country club of suburbia) they might not know those schools - but they all know what "D1" means :lol: :roll:
It depends on your circle. The Fairfield county or mainline parent is a lot more impressed with Amherst/Williams then they are with Jacksonville. Even more than a place like Rutgers or Penn State. Coaches call them bumper sticker families… what signifies elite more on the family Range Rover.
henryben

Post by henryben »

So true. Our kid was "D1 or bust" because he's an impressionable teenager and also very competitive. Luckily he found a (mid-tier lax) D1 school that checks all his boxes, athletically and academically. If that hadn't happened, we fully planned on having the hard conversation with him that an academically rigorous D3 school (or even a school with a club program) would be what we'd pay for....
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

henryben wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:00 pm

So true. Our kid was "D1 or bust" because he's an impressionable teenager and also very competitive. Luckily he found a (mid-tier lax) D1 school that checks all his boxes, athletically and academically. If that hadn't happened, we fully planned on having the hard conversation with him that an academically rigorous D3 school (or even a school with a club program) would be what we'd pay for....
Great that it worked out.
I'd recommend such a conversation early on and steady on with kids.

When he was a rising 9th grader, we had our son make a list of the schools that he thought would be great places to go for school and lax... So, that we might visit them at some point, if even for just a drive by coming or going from a summer lax tourney. That was the starting point from which we could discuss why he thought a school might be great...and then, over time, helped him do some research on how selective they were academically, where they were, etc, etc.

Many of the usual top D1 suspects were on the list, but he was also a very competitive student, so others began to be added and a few of those D1s got sifted out by him; the Ivies were all on the list early (he'd had quite a lot of exposure to that possibility) and we encouraged him to think about service academies and the Patriot League more generally; he was also familiar with the NESCACs as our god daughter was at Middlebury playing field hockey and lacrosse and W&L where his cousin was playing lax on the women's side. So, he was open to such.

Didn't mean he wasn't thinking about perennial top D1 too...but that was long way off. My hunch was that he wasn't going to get tons of early attention as he'd just switched to goalie and it was going to take awhile for him to get his opportunities (this was back when ER was at the sophomore winter for first commit)...sure enough, took to summer before senior year before his #1 choice decided they wanted him. Worked out.

But every kid is different, so their list that develops needs to adjust to their specific realities as well as aspirations.

One other good thing about this is that it can help a kid who isn't thinking about college, really, to start thinking about what it takes to get to the possible schools...academically, athletically, behaviorally, etc. Can be a much better motivator than mom or dad nagging!
backerzone

Post by backerzone »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:24 pm
When he was a rising 9th grader, we had our son make a list of the schools that he thought would be great places to go for school and lax... So, that we might visit them at some point, if even for just a drive by coming or going from a summer lax tourney. That was the starting point from which we could discuss why he thought a school might be great...and then, over time, helped him do some research on how selective they were academically, where they were, etc, etc.

It always amazed me when my son was playing club how many families did not do this- we'd be at tourneys literally minutes from campuses and few took the time even for a drive by. In my son's case several years ago his lax talent was mid d3- he really wanted the big school experience. Went to a power 5 school- played club for a year with about 100 other guys on roster LOL. Ended up thriving- fraternity, great internships, good job, loved his experience. He's in late 20's now- still says not playing lacrosse in college was best thing he ever did. He still plays occasionally in a summer league.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

backerzone wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:58 am

It always amazed me when my son was playing club how many families did not do this- we'd be at tourneys literally minutes from campuses and few took the time even for a drive by. In my son's case several years ago his lax talent was mid d3- he really wanted the big school experience. Went to a power 5 school- played club for a year with about 100 other guys on roster LOL. Ended up thriving- fraternity, great internships, good job, loved his experience. He's in late 20's now- still says not playing lacrosse in college was best thing he ever did. He still plays occasionally in a summer league.
An alternative path; glad it worked out well.
MdLaxfan76:
One of my nieces, captain of very good lax and field hockey (4 yrs undefeated), President of her school, etc, but not recruited quite at the level she wanted decided to make a big push to get her grandfather's school, UVA, and she played a couple of years of club ball and made a lot of pals. Thrived. Did the Batten 5th year, traveled the world, getting married to a terrific UVA guy next August. Happy.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

i've read it a million times on here... go to the school you'd go to if there were no lacrosse, you get injured, etc. reality is only a fortunate few have that going on.
for the better or worse, lax like many other sports has become serious business in its small world. from directing kids where to go to school, to sopping up workload-like hours and putting guardrails on a college experience beyond the team. it also has gotten athletes into schools they otherwise couldn't.

outcomes aren't supposed to be universal and perfect. if you're a parent and fortunate enough to have kids have a great experience, congrats!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:24 am
i've read it a million times on here... go to the school you'd go to if there were no lacrosse, you get injured, etc. reality is only a fortunate few have that going on.
for the better or worse, lax like many other sports has become serious business in its small world. from directing kids where to go to school, to sopping up workload-like hours and putting guardrails on a college experience beyond the team. it also has gotten athletes into schools they otherwise couldn't.

outcomes aren't supposed to be universal and perfect. if you're a parent and fortunate enough to have kids have a great experience, congrats!
Part of the reason for lack of options is a narrow focus on one thing at the expense of others. It’s a bad trade and yet parents keep getting sucked in. I’ve talked to multiple lower middle market PE shops about trying to sponsor a roll up of these camps and programs. There’s a few out there already doing such across sports not just lacrosse. Will be good business short run but will change the game long run. Going to have a lot more operations look like IMG and consequently more “varied outcomes” like were kinda seeing come out of IMG.
See Martin, Malcolm
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

I 100% agree, the majority of D1 lacrosse players chose their school for lacrosse, and generally speaking they pick the best program that recruits them. For some it's ACC, others NEC, others High D3, others lower D3 etc. I would be willing to bet most of the college players outside of the ACC, Ivy and a few other elite schools would not have chosen their school without lacrosse, and that's ok. At some point, everyone who goes to college picks a school for some reason, nothing wrong with that reason being lacrosse. A common phrase is "I didn't come here to play school"
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

xxxxxxx wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:28 pm

I 100% agree, the majority of D1 lacrosse players chose their school for lacrosse, and generally speaking they pick the best program that recruits them. For some it's ACC, others NEC, others High D3, others lower D3 etc. I would be willing to bet most of the college players outside of the ACC, Ivy and a few other elite schools would not have chosen their school without lacrosse, and that's ok. At some point, everyone who goes to college picks a school for some reason, nothing wrong with that reason being lacrosse. A common phrase is "I didn't come here to play school"
I think that academic equation works both ways. I know a few kids who could have been accepted to a higher academic school but wanted to play lacrosse so they went to a school that was not as academically challenging. Some kids can play for an Ivy league but would not make it through school. I think each has to find a best fit. Years ago my son asked what school I wanted him to attend, I already had one at UVA so I told him UVA would be great, we are in State. He told me he did not like the old buildings and did not want to be close to home so he decided to go as far away as he could possibly get a still get to play lacrosse. He also did not get recruited by UVA but it was not what I want but what the player wants. Maybe it is just me but I do not think the parents pick the school. Also parents I know are proud and brag and put stickers on cars for D1, D2, and D3 schools. I have yet to meet a parent who was "ashamed" their son settled for a NESCAC school. LOL

Back to the "science" of recruiting, I also think COVID years have had a huge impact. I was looking at St. Anthony's has over 20 kids committed. Do they really have 10 A and four goalies better than other schools? Maybe? Top programs and top clubs seem to get the edge. I think that with the loss of in person evaluation during the COVID period, we are seeing that coaches would rather go with a safe pick than take a flyer and hope to develop the player. This reverses the trend of growing the game to some degree and I hope it was just one more effect of COVID.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

A d1 coach had a choice of a couple kids for a spot that just opened up.
He called and asked if one of my '23s was a good kid.
I told him he was just like the '20 I sent him a few years ago.
He knows how we run our hs program. That's all he needed to hear, sight unseen.
For the good and bad, that's how it happens, sometimes.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:27 pm A d1 coach had a choice of a couple kids for a spot that just opened up.
Yep. I know a kid that went on to be an AA that was recruited the same way….hey coach, we had a spot open up, would so and so like to come here? Went from D3 to a D1 AA in part because of the reputation of the high school.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:27 pm A d1 coach had a choice of a couple kids for a spot that just opened up.
You didn’t say if he was accepted or rejected sight unseen :)
See Martin, Malcolm
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

:lol:

He was offered and accepted that week. Coach and player happy. Good ending for all.
Good kid. But it’s been tough as the market adjusts. As I’ve mentioned before, it’s a tough for these kids with grad students and covid years. A few years ago, this player would have had coaches beating down his door. Fewer opportunities for now. Hopefully it opens up in a year or two.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”