Recruiting, the exact science

D1 Mens Lacrosse
livelovelax

Recruiting, the exact science

Post by livelovelax »

For the last 6-7 years that I have followed the recruiting experts and their rankings, schools like Duke, UVA, UNC, ND, Penn, Princeton, etc. get mostly 4 and 5 star recruits. A school like Rutgers, never gets these can't miss players. Never. How is it that they are in the mix with kids that don't get ranked especially the last two years? And please don't say transfer portal, cause many of these players were not 4 or 5 stars either. High level players like Ross Scott, Shane Knobloch and Ethan Rall were under recruited kids.

Being a recruiting guru is like being a weather forecaster.
laxerr20

Re: Recruiting, the exact science

Post by laxerr20 »

while i agree with you saying some guys are "under recruited" based on where they are from like the "non hot bed" guys, but kids when they get to college get older, better, and stronger due to playing and lifting 5 days a week. Some guys need to get into a college weight room and access to the best lacrosse coaches in the world and they just simply get better in college.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

livelovelax wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:21 am A school like Rutgers, never gets these can't miss players. Never. How is it that they are in the mix with kids that don't get ranked especially the last two years? And please don't say transfer portal
Why not? Before 2021 Rutgers hadn't won a playoff game in three decades and had never made a Final Four. Then they make huge additions through the portal and all of a sudden they're in the mix. You think those things aren't related?
lorin

Post by lorin »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:32 am
livelovelax wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:21 am A school like Rutgers, never gets these can't miss players. Never. How is it that they are in the mix with kids that don't get ranked especially the last two years? And please don't say transfer portal
Why not? Before 2021 Rutgers hadn't won a playoff game in three decades and had never made a Final Four. Then they make huge additions through the portal and all of a sudden they're in the mix. You think those things aren't related?
Bingo, back to 2019 for Rutgers.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

The most frequently asked question to Inside Lacrosse is, “How do I get evaluated?”

$199: Single Video Evaluation
$299: Two-Pack Video Evaluations (6-month interval)
$375: Three-Pack Video Evaluations (4-month interval)

It is an exact science.
Last edited by OSVAlacrosse on Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

The only thing I get from that is, the more you pay, the better the chance of getting ranked. The inexact science is really what it is and that goes for all sports. If coaches can "nail it" 50% of the time, they have a shot of being successful.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:51 am The most frequently asked question to Inside Lacrosse is, “How do I get evaluated?”

$199: Single Video Evaluation
$299: Two-Pack Video Evaluations (6-month interval)
$375: Three-Pack Video Evaluations (4-month interval)

This is from the IL website. It is an exact science.
EasyRider

Post by EasyRider »

Coaches take those Inside Lacrosse rankings with a healthy grain of salt

Post by 1766 »

College football programs spend millions on this and often get it wrong. IL has two guys who I am not sure ever played trying to evaluate a nations worth of kids. It's simply not possible for them to do so.

For Rutgers, I think it comes down to a few things.

1) It's a developmental program. It's hard to think of any kids, certainly not those who played, who didn't get significantly better from the time they got on campus to when they left. Charalambides, Heningburg, Mazzone, Scott, Rexrode, Scarpello, to name a few. The list is long. Kids simply get better every year. Coach Brecht has a saying- not just a year old. A year better. The guys in the program embrace that.

2) Different styles of play determine the types of guys you recruit. Coach Brecht and the staff have a very good eye for what they want. Sometimes they go after those can't miss kids, which really there are only a couple a year, maybe. Often it's not those guys. It's the one's who play multiple sports and are athletes. Maybe they started focusing on lacrosse late, which is perfectly fine. You can teach kids the game of lacrosse if they have the size/speed to play at a high level. System kids need not apply.

3) Culture. Guys there want to compete. Having seen a few D1 practices over the last year, there isn't a team that goes at it harder than Rutgers. I think that lends itself to number 1 and how it's all about developing and getting better. It's all done in practice there which is why you won't see much of them in the fall.

Rutgers is a great example but there are other schools exceeding their recruiting rankings. Conversely, there are some that don't live up to them. At the end of the day, recruiting rankings are fun to talk about, but they aren't worth much.

Post by 1766 »

lorin wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:46 am
"2022 Rutgers will be lucky to be .500". -Lorin's last prediction. Nostradamus he is not. Great hater though!
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

1766 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:24 pm
"2022 Rutgers will be lucky to be .500". -Lorin's last prediction. Nostradamus he is not. Great hater though!
A hater on any team that has had Army's number.

Gotta admire his dedication though.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I can recall back in the early/mid 2Kteens, RU fans where sick of the horrible recruiting by the staff...missing on in state and nearby NY programs.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

It is odd that this was started by a Rutgers fan holding them up as the example compared with a lot of other programs are better examples of outrecruiting the rankings. This goes back to at Laxpower when Denver & Loyola won titles a decade ago, Peter Baum hit the circuit and really back to the run Tambroni had from around 03 or so until he left for PSU at Cornell.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

livelovelax wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:21 am Being a recruiting guru is like being a weather forecaster.
I (partially) disagree, I think it boils down to laziness in the recruiting process, while playing a game of numbers filling beds, coupled with staff longevity. If I recruit Johnny X as a HS junior to UofX, then I to UofY a few years later, a staff inherit players they did not recruit and try to shoehorn them into what they may not have been recruited to do....or b/c 'they are not my guys'.

There is this cycle schools go through, out with the old, in with the new....give them 3-5 years to 'get their guys' build a system, underperform, piss off the Alum or AD, then start answer. rinse, repeat.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
smoova

Post by smoova »

Until there is a limit placed on class size (which will never happen for obvious reasons) and/or a reversal of the current transfer rules, we will continue to see coaches taking increasingly massive classes with the full understanding that they're getting a handful of diamonds and at least as many well-heeled, over-aged, underachievers.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

EasyRider wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:25 pm Coaches take those Inside Lacrosse rankings with a healthy grain of salt
The IL rankings are based on which schools are recruiting the kid not the other way around....
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:01 pm It is odd that this was started by a Rutgers fan holding them up as the example compared with a lot of other programs are better examples of outrecruiting the rankings. This goes back to at Laxpower when Denver & Loyola won titles a decade ago, Peter Baum hit the circuit and really back to the run Tambroni had from around 03 or so until he left for PSU at Cornell.
and obviously, as said on another thread, the b1g money got them to the final four. that, and i guess grass roots recruiting, culture and dedication. not transfers.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HooDat wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:57 pm
EasyRider wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:25 pm Coaches take those Inside Lacrosse rankings with a healthy grain of salt
The IL rankings are based on which schools are recruiting the kid not the other way around....
Yep.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HooDat wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:57 pm
are we talking pre-2021? rankings may have shifted after 2020 based on where they got picked up. did that happen?

obviously, it hasn't yet for 2024.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

The NFL spends tens of millions on evaluating players uses State of the Art technology and techniques. The results are more like mediocre to middling for the investment. Expecting better from lacrosse is a reach.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”