Preseason Top 10

D1 Mens Lacrosse
10stone5

Re: Preseason Top 10

Post by 10stone5 »

CU88 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:19 pm
10stone5 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:04 pm Geez, these people just won’t let it go,

4. NOTRE DAME
2022 record: 8-4 (5-1 Atlantic Coast)

Last seen: Ripping off six victories in a row to close out the season, only to be stunned by a Selection Sunday snub that arguably left one of the nation’s top five teams on the sideline for the NCAA tournament.
Look at the trend though,
ND had a lousy 1st round game in 2021 and should have lost except for some 4th quarter flubs by Drexel.
2022, miss the tournament.
In the real world, ND will have to prove their worth this year, and not just fall back on the automatic ACC team gets a pass.
Are we really surprised?
Hah :lol:
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

The implication from so many this past spring that they were nailed on for the Final Four was quite funny considering they haven’t made a Final Four in 7 years.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

He also notes their shooting percent over the last 6 games...and one could make an argument that their competition over those last 6 games wasn't as good as the first 6. Beating up UNC shouldn't be considered an accomplishment at this point, should it? Or a defensively suspect Duke team?
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Stevens bought into the Carc/Quint nonsense. Credibility gone. Find a new analyst, USA Lacrosse.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

LaxFan2000 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:07 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:07 pm Bucknell could also be interesting, very young team last spring and I think their FR Connor Davis will be the next big name in the PL. Return Davis (6’4” 205 FR who had 45g,7a,52pts) and Dutch Furlong who had 56pts.

We’ve seen Bucknell put together top 10-15 teams every handful of years (surprised he only has one playoff appearance thought there was more) under Feds. If the D has enough they could be in the mix.
Dutch Furlong is one of the best lacrosse names in the sport!
Indeed a classic name!

Dutch was a very nice player at Gilman.
Terrific lax pedigree. https://bucknellbison.com/sports/mens-l ... rlong/7669

My son coached Dutch and bunch of other future D1 players when they were freshmen on the Gilman JV. If I'm not mistaken, Dutch played midfield for that team. It was clear he had good college potential.

Not surprised he's done well for Bucknell.
His siblings have all done well, too.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

In most years, a 6-game winning streak against Syracuse, Duke, Marquette, UNC, Syracuse, and Duke would in fact be impressive.

Last year? Nope.

And Stevens talking about their shooting percentage being high in those 6 wins isn't really impressive given how bad the defenses of all of those teams were last year.
lilax

Post by lilax »

Wheels wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:36 pm In most years, a 6-game winning streak against Syracuse, Duke, Marquette, UNC, Syracuse, and Duke would in fact be impressive.

Last year? Nope.

And Stevens talking about their shooting percentage being high in those 6 wins isn't really impressive given how bad the defenses of all of those teams were last year.
+1

A 6 game win streak against 6 teams that did not make the NCAA tournament.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Yes, the write-up on (and #4 ranking given to) Notre Dame was problematic, and I wonder how loud the squawking will be if the Irish don't make it to the 2023 dance. Yes, Fake and Tevlin will add something, but Morrill and Cotler were unable to elevate Denver in 2021. The write-up on Duke was more balanced, and the Blue Devils' #8 ranking seems kinda sorta reasonable. That being said, if the game were played outside of North Carolina I'd put money on St. Joe's to beat Duke. But back to Notre Dame, this US Lax ranking has the Irish ahead of all Ivies, which seems absurd especially considering what Cornell, Princeton and Yale have recently done in the post-season. So there are three ACC teams in the Top 10, plus a dubious #15 ranking for the Tar Heels, plus Cuse gets in there. Well gosh, I guess the ACC must be the greatest lacrosse conference on the planet, now and forever!!
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Wheels wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:36 pm In most years, a 6-game winning streak against Syracuse, Duke, Marquette, UNC, Syracuse, and Duke would in fact be impressive.

Last year? Nope.

And one reason a lot of people gave for that difference in shooting percentage was the emergence of Jake Taylor as an inside finisher.

He just tore his ACL in his other knee yesterday...

https://twitter.com/TerenceFoy/status/1 ... R8B-uNQf6A
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Stevens acknowledged Taylor's injury but it felt shoehorned in at the last minute and didn't appear to affect the team's ranking, which I think was a bit odd. A lot of the optimism surrounding them was based on how much better the offense operated with him in the lineup last year — it was like night and day. His injury won't completely torpedo their season but I do think it will have an impact and is probably worth knocking them down a slot or two but some apparently are not about to let that get in the way of ~the narrative~.

Repeating myself on Georgetown a bit here but I suspect I'm going to be lower than consensus on them throughout the offseason. Still solidly top 10 but more of a back half top 10 than a top 5, IMO. Not sure that what they bring in is as good as what they lose. And Phipps taking his talents to Annapolis is a major storyline. The first round loss to UDel left some unanswered questions.

Cornell at 5 seems pretty fair. They were obviously a very good team last year making it to the final and giving Maryland a game but it's fair to at least question how much of that is repeatable and how much was "getting hot at the right time" after some inconsistencies in the regular season.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Funny that we all talked so much about Notre Dame after the selection show, but it still surprises me how unimpressive their “big winning streak” actually was. Four of those wins were against pretty weak teams. Two bad about Taylor… hate to see that happen, especially when he was going to get a big opportunity to shine this year.

I think Cornell is underrated because of the perception that they got hot in the tournament. All of their losses can pretty much attributed to one of three things: inconsistency from Petrakis, injuries to frontline guys (most importantly Blake), and playing particular games on short rest. Buczek now has a full season under his belt as a head coach. They are only going to get better.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

PulpExposure wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:50 pm

Last year? Nope.

And one reason a lot of people gave for that difference in shooting percentage was the emergence of Jake Taylor as an inside finisher.

Ugh, brutal!

Very few things sadder in sports than an off season injury.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

CU88 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:51 pm
PulpExposure wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:50 pm

Last year? Nope.

Ugh, brutal!

That’s terrible news. Hoping for the best.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Cornell and Princeton play hard and physically. To me, that's what separates them from the other Ivies.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

CU88 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:51 pm
Ugh, brutal!

Agree 100%. You have to feel bad for the kid - tearing an ACL in each knee, one year after the other. Just awful to hear about.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:54 pm I think Cornell is underrated because of the perception that they got hot in the tournament. All of their losses can pretty much attributed to one of three things: inconsistency from Petrakis, injuries to frontline guys (most importantly Blake), and playing particular games on short rest. Buczek now has a full season under his belt as a head coach. They are only going to get better.
Don't you understand that no Ivy could possibly be predicted above Virginia and Notre Dame? :roll: I mean...Cornell was "inconsistent" last year, and, of course, ND and Virginia were impeccably consistent...losing every regular season game they played against eventual NCAA tournament teams.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

lilax wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:46 pm

Last year? Nope.

+1

A 6 game win streak against 6 teams that did not make the NCAA tournament.
Per LaxRef, the AdjDefEff of those last 6 opponents (national rank in parentheses):
Syracuse: 34.9 (65th)
Duke: 27.5% (19th)
Marquette: 31.1% (52nd)
UNC: 30% (44th)

The question I have is "shouldn't ND shoot well against those defenses?"
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

DoubleD wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:38 pm Richmond has St Joes in their conference now. I'm actually suprised St Joes isn't in the 16 thru 25 unless their higher but doubt it. They finished ranked 17th and all their top guys are back this yr. They finished with a few loses which were all close games. Deleware they lost by 1, then lost to Penn in OT. They won the NEC and lost to Yale in tournament in a close exciting game. I have watched them play in person twice vs LIU and their attack is ridiculous. It's no gimme Richmond wins their conference with St Joes in it. Should be interesting actually.
SJU outside the top 25 a head scratcher. Only lose 2 solid SSDMs but have depth there and an O middie who was solid. Have a few transfers that will likely contribute. Attack line has 2 years of eligibility remaining.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Gobigred wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:44 am
MoralTerpitude wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:54 pm I think Cornell is underrated because of the perception that they got hot in the tournament. All of their losses can pretty much attributed to one of three things: inconsistency from Petrakis, injuries to frontline guys (most importantly Blake), and playing particular games on short rest. Buczek now has a full season under his belt as a head coach. They are only going to get better.
Don't you understand that no Ivy could possibly be predicted above Virginia and Notre Dame? :roll: I mean...Cornell was "inconsistent" last year, and, of course, ND and Virginia were impeccably consistent...losing every regular season game they played against eventual NCAA tournament teams.
Hmmm…… I think Virginia beat Brown, at Brown, pretty handily in the tournament, who smoked Cornell 13-8, in the regular season, but who cares….. No one was beating Maryland last year. It was only a matter of when you had to play them, as to how far you were going to get. It is amazing all the continuous bitching and whining about the ACC. The apparent inferiority complex just never stops on this site. You would think Maryland fans, finally getting to be champs, would be gracious victors, but even many of them just can’t let it go. People, The early polls mean nada……..
Laxfanatic2022

Post by Laxfanatic2022 »

Looking at those early preseason rankings, I think it’s ridiculous how much respect Georgetown gets. For what?
They lost McElroy the best goalie in the country, Geddes a top 3 Dmid, Watson, Mazzone, Trippi.. Yea they got some transfer to try and fill that. Hincks, Dordevic, Minicus, Kelly, and whoever else does not compare to those above they lost. Even with the losses, they beat 1 tournament last year and that was Penn. That was the first game of the year and Penn hadn’t played in two full seasons. They beat Lehigh by 3, Villanova by 2, lost to Delaware at home, lost to Princeton at home. What is so impressive about what they’ve done? They lost in the first round this year, they got blown out in the quarters the year before. I just don’t get where all that hype comes from. They run over a very easy big east all year lol. The coach gets a ton of respect too. You bring in all these transfers, haven’t done anything with it. They should be ranked in the 8-12 range. Overrated for proven reasons.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”