Preseason Top 10

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Antonio114

Re: Preseason Top 10

Post by Antonio114 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:50 am
Antonio114 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:44 am Hopkins IL page has McManus, Jack Lyne, Mabbett, Lily, and Emmet Jennings listed as seniors. Which of those guys are coming back? Hard to keep track of everyone's status. Also did both Mabbett and Lily switch to ssdm this past season or just one of them?
Don't think any of them are coming back.

Hop returns its top 2 defensemen and its top 2 SSDMs. I'm considering that "the bulk" of the defense. That's in addition to adding an AA pole via the transfer portal and a few other guys coming back from injury.
Got it. D for hop should be rock solid next year.
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Yeah Fogo is a big issue with Cuse. I like the kid they brought in he's talented and scrappy but he's very light. He got pushed around last yr and definitely will in the ACC unless he puts in 15 - 20Lbs of muscle. If he does he might be pretty good. Would like to see them add a veteran Fogo. Justin Joseph' from LIU is a strong kid and tough. He held his own against Zach Cole (St Joes) and battled some good Fogos in the NEC with Adam Shea and the two Bryant kids. Maybe with TD coaching him up he could be solid this yr and hold it down until this younger transfer builds up his body in the weight room. Fogo could be the downfall of Cuse and ur right it won't matter if the offense and defense is improved if they can't win possessions. The D will be on the field all game long getting worn out. Hope they get lucky and find the right guy.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

USA lacrosse magazine has started rolling out their count down

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... sion-i-men

16 Jacksonville
17 Boston U
18 Denver
19 Richmond
20 Navy
21 Villanova
22 Army
23 Loyal
24 Utah
T25 Cuse
T25 Hopkins
Last edited by AreaLax on Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I could see Richmond and Jax again in the hunt for a potential at large and a little higher this upcoming season.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

I almost put Richmond in my top 10, but they lost a LOT of seniors. Chemotti is one of the best coaches in the game right now.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Going to assume Stevens has UNC top 15. Interesting. They weren't great to begin with and now their offense is going to be Lance Tillman + a bunch of freshmen/completely new guys. Also lose Tucci. They were lucky not go to winless in the ACC last year. I just don't see it. Put them in the Hop/Cuse range as blue bloods who in theory could be better but still have more to prove. Maybe I'm wrong and Stevens didn't rank UNC which IMO would be more justifiable than top 15 or better.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

AreaLax wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:02 pm USA lacrosse magazine has started rolling out their count down

16 Jacksonville
A write up I read in Lacrosse Bucket said all three attackman are back this upcoming season which must have meant Waldbaum had one more year
left. That's over 200 points returning. Then add Dylan Watson, Riley Seay should help at midfield where they lost a real good midfielder in
Dolan. Defense, not really sure although I believe they lose both of their senior goalies. Galloway may have recruited another hidden gem picking
up a defenseman from a barely recruited western PA school, I got to see this kid in this year's PA state playoffs and he looked ready for DI.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:10 pm
AreaLax wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:02 pm USA lacrosse magazine has started rolling out their count down

16 Jacksonville
A write up I read in Lacrosse Bucket said all three attackman are back this upcoming season which must have meant Waldbaum had one more year
left. That's over 200 points returning. Then add Dylan Watson, Riley Seay should help at midfield where they lost a real good midfielder in
Dolan. Defense, not really sure although I believe they lose both of their senior goalies. Galloway may have recruited another hidden gem picking
up a defenseman from a barely recruited western PA school, I got to see this kid in this year's PA state playoffs and he looked ready for DI.
The also picked up Cole Daninger from Rutgers. He was part of one of the top SSDM groups in the nation last year. He will be a plus add for Jax and can play two way if needed.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:42 pm
10stone5 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 3:10 pm

16 Jacksonville
The also picked up Cole Daninger from Rutgers. He was part of one of the top SSDM groups in the nation last year. He will be a plus add for Jax and can play two way if needed. At worst he’s a veteran that’s played in a lot of big games and can log heavy SSDM minutes.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Anyone else surprised to see Denver that high?
DoubleD

Post by DoubleD »

Richmond has St Joes in their conference now. I'm actually suprised St Joes isn't in the 16 thru 25 unless their higher but doubt it. They finished ranked 17th and all their top guys are back this yr. They finished with a few loses which were all close games. Deleware they lost by 1, then lost to Penn in OT. They won the NEC and lost to Yale in tournament in a close exciting game. I have watched them play in person twice vs LIU and their attack is ridiculous. It's no gimme Richmond wins their conference with St Joes in it. Should be interesting actually.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

They were right about 18th or so last year and I don’t think they’ll far *too* much down the pecking order so it seems fair. The last 5 of the Top 20 is always throwing darts anyhow
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

For Richmond the key is Dalton Young. Same as last year. You did not scheme for Lach. You schemed for Young. Look at their losses. They all have one thing in common: Young shut down.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Just for fun this was Stevens' early poll last year, with how each team actually finished in parentheses

Green = nailed it
Red = way off
Black = in the ballpark

1. Maryland (1, champs)
2. Duke (13, missed tourney)
3. Virginia (5, quarterfinals)
4. UNC (NR, missed tourney)
5. Georgetown (8, first round loss)
6. Notre Dame (6, missed tourney)
7. Rutgers (4, Final Four)
8. Loyola (NR, missed tourney)
9. Yale (9, quarterfinals)
10. Denver (NR, missed tourney)
11. Army (19, missed tourney)
12. Lehigh (NR, missed tourney)
13. Syracuse (NR, missed tourney)

14. Delaware (11, quarterfinals)
15. Johns Hopkins (NR, missed tourney)
16. Drexel (NR, missed tourney)
17. Penn State (NR, missed tourney)
18. Penn (7, quarterfinals)

19. Ohio State (12, first round loss)
20. Cornell (2, runner ups)
21. Bryant (NR, missed tourney)

22. Richmond (14, first round loss)
23. Villanova (NR, missed tourney)
24. High Point (NR, missed tourney)
T25. Towson (NR, missed tourney)
T25. Michigan (NR, missed tourney)

Observations:

- Top 10 was decently accurate. He nailed Maryland (as did everyone) and did pretty well on UVA, GTown, ND, Rutgers, Yale
- Where he erred in the top 10 was vastly overrating UNC, Duke, Loyola, and Denver
- Underrated the Ivies, but, to be fair, most people did
- In addition to Ivies, he did not manage to foresee positive seasons by BU, Jacksonville, St. Joe's
- Was close on Delaware but in general 11-25 was terrible

Moral of the story is, as you get outside the top 10, it becomes a fun game, but it's total shots in the dark. Even the top 10 was only about half on the money and after that it was...yikes
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

jrn19 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:39 pm They were right about 18th or so last year and I don’t think they’ll far *too* much down the pecking order so it seems fair. The last 5 of the Top 20 is always throwing darts anyhow
Denver huffing off of Tierney's repetitional fumes doesn't mean they belong in any preseason rankings. The BE is a one-bid league, and DU has been lapped by Georgetown (3-5 over their last 8 games against GU). Villanova looks to have caught them and are closer to GU at this point. Had Patrick put Nova at 18 and DU at 21, I think that'd be fair. But anchoring Denver in the top 20, which is why they even ended up at 18 last year...because they started higher in the rankings, is a gift to them.

Now...if he put UNC in the Top 15 tomorrow, wow.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

USA lacrosse magazine has started rolling out their count down

11 Ohio State
12 Delaware
13 Brown
14 Harvard
15 UNC
16 Jacksonville
17 Boston U
18 Denver
19 Richmond
20 Navy
21 Villanova
22 Army
23 Loyal
24 Utah
T25 Cuse
T25 Hopkins
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

UNC at 15 is pretty bad and his justification doesn't make much sense. He spends the entire paragraph talking about how there's no one left on offense and the defense isn't all that good but they're suddenly a top 15 team again for...reasons? Stevens doesn't really explain.
calourie

Post by calourie »

My guess regarding Patrick's top ten is that it will include.: Maryland, Rutgers, UVA, Notre Dame, Duke, Georgetown, Cornell, Princeton, Yale and Penn. Outside of my assumptions that the Terps are still the team to beat, that Georgetown will once again get some top 3 pre-season love, and that Rutgers will be somewhere from 6-10 I will not be surprised by however Patrick evaluates the remaining 7 of my projected top tenners. I do think the Ivies will have trouble duplicating their last year's OOC success and are likely to have some degree of "eating their own" attrition during their regular season and tournament which may affect their final rankings but those Ivies that do survive should be battle tested and worthy national contenders.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Kind of interesting how UNC seems to annually evade a lot of the criticism that Cuse and Hopkins get as blue blood programs in the midst of underwhelming stretches. The 2016 title was more than six years ago and Breschi is now entering the final year of his contract unless he's been quietly extended. Since then, they've only made one quarterfinal and have missed the NCAA tournament more times than they've made it. Seems like they just don't face the same amount of scrutiny as some of their rivals. Maybe it's due to a lack of interest in the program, they're able to kinda skate by under the radar? You try to identify their fan base and it's tough — no presence here, attendance isn't great, etc. Anyway, I find it fascinating. Maybe a wholesale change of offensive personnel is what they need. Stevens appears to think so but didn't articulate that very well.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Hens solid across the board.
I’d look for improvements at SSDM, and also they may have
found a dominant face off man.
They’ll need to ramp up OOC to take advantage of their
very good senior class.
The CAA is going to be ultra competitive with the top 5 teams
even with the departure of UMass.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”