DI Stadiums That Have Tracks Surrounding The Playing Field

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

DI Stadiums That Have Tracks Surrounding The Playing Field

Post by gymman1031 »

What are the best examples of such venues?

Are the fields being farther away from the stands as big of a negative factor as some people make it out to be?
Dip&Dunk

Re: DI Stadiums That Have Tracks Surrounding The Playing Field

Post by Dip&Dunk »

High Point. May be the only (slight) drawback to a wonderful venue.

If it is a good game, who cares about the track?
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

Gymman with the increasingly esoteric topics. Coming soon: "Next Land-Grant University with an Indoor Practice Facility and an Assistant Coach who Played in the MSA 'B' Conference (before it was the MIAA) to win a National Title"

Anyway, in addition to the ribbing, I come with an actual response. One that immediately comes to my mind is: historic Franklin Field (Penn). The field does not seem farther away due to the track, maybe because the stands are sloped so steeply.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

D1 stadiums that do not have tracks surrounding the playing field, but easily have enough room for a track so that the viewing experience is not dissimilar: Panzer and Reese.
JustPassingThrough

Post by JustPassingThrough »

Villanova (feels big) and Sacred Heart (haven’t been, but looks like a good-sized HS stadium). Apparently Hobart has three lanes of track around the field...anyone able to provide history on that?
River Donkey

Post by River Donkey »

St John’s used to but not sure since they redid they field a few years ago.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

When Rutgers played in its stadium the fans were far from the field. Homewood had a track but was close
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

JustPassingThrough wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:04 am Villanova (feels big) and Sacred Heart (haven’t been, but looks like a good-sized HS stadium). Apparently Hobart has three lanes of track around the field...anyone able to provide history on that?
It’s used to fat test kids who can’t run two miles in 14 min in geneva. Football and lacrosse
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
Laxwatch2007

Post by Laxwatch2007 »

Penn, Villanova and Towson all have tracks around their lacrosse stadium fields. As much as I appreciate the history of Franklin Field, it really is a crappy place to watch a lacrosse game. The field at Delaware Stadium, on the other hand, does not have a track around it and is one of my all-time favorite places to see a lacrosse game.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Schoellkopf Field (Cornell) does not have one, at least according to Google Maps.

I could have sworn I distinctly remembered the 'kopf having a track. There's certainly enough room for one. Did it get removed, or has it really never had one?
mountainred

Post by mountainred »

ICGrad wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:08 am Schoellkopf Field (Cornell) does not have one, at least according to Google Maps.

I could have sworn I distinctly remembered the 'kopf having a track. There's certainly enough room for one. Did it get removed, or has it really never had one?
It definitely had a track back in the 80's, but it appears the Cornell Track team moved with the soccer teams in the late 90s. https://cornellbigred.com/sports/2007/7 ... ath=mtrack
drunkmonkey30

Post by drunkmonkey30 »

mountainred wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:11 am
ICGrad wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:08 am Schoellkopf Field (Cornell) does not have one, at least according to Google Maps.

It definitely had a track back in the 80's, but it appears the Cornell Track team moved with the soccer teams in the late 90s. https://cornellbigred.com/sports/2007/7 ... ath=mtrack
Schoellkopf has a track around it. As mentioned, it is not in use anymore but the space between field and stands is still there.
https://cornellbigred.com/sports/2007/7 ... aspx?id=75

There is actually "extra" space on the crescent side that puts you pretty far back from the action.

I used to enjoy sitting on the press box side of the field because it feels so much closer to the game. A shame they tore that seating out.

Post by 1766 »

OCanada wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:28 pm When Rutgers played in its stadium the fans were far from the field. Homewood had a track but was close
We still play in the stadium, but after the update the stands are closer now. The track was removed at that point, I believe in the early 2000s.

The team will have it's own stadium in the near future though. Fundraising has quietly started with high level donors.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:54 am
JustPassingThrough wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:04 am Villanova (feels big) and Sacred Heart (haven’t been, but looks like a good-sized HS stadium). Apparently Hobart has three lanes of track around the field...anyone able to provide history on that?
It’s used to fat test kids who can’t run two miles in 14 min in geneva. Football and lacrosse
:lol: It's just for recreation. No money for more. Now they want to start a track program and use the Geneva High facilities. Dumb decision to make a 3 lane track in the first place ... dumb decision to start a program without the right facilities.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”